2022-2023 Dallas Mavericks season thread: Luka's first MVP

RexWilson

Holmes kind of fell off a cliff last year and Lively is a project. Good night for the Mavs though getting off Bertans.
Seems we still have some cap room now to maybe add a Grant Williams or Bruce Brown? 

Yep. Added two do the nester defenders in the draft at Center and wing. Obviously will need time. Holmes fell off but is a solid backup body big.

Plus the full MLE open.

Tanked the very end of the season to desperately hold on to their lottery pick. Succeeded but got fined.

Traded back from 10 and still got their guy plus gained the MLE by dumping Bertans.

Used that MLE so that Sacremento could dump player/position of our need in order to gain their first round pick to target Prosper.

Most everyone seems to be gushing. When should I start following the Mavs again?

1 hour ago, JohnnyRage said:

Tanked the very end of the season to desperately hold on to their lottery pick. Succeeded but got fined.

Traded back from 10 and still got their guy plus gained the MLE by dumping Bertans.

Used that MLE so that Sacremento could dump player/position of our need in order to gain their first round pick to target Prosper.

Most everyone seems to be gushing. When should I start following the Mavs again?

I thought we moved the trade exception for Holmes. I believe we still have the MLE.

• Hook 'Em 2

Honestly, last night was the best example of draft maneuvering Ive ever seen as a Mavs fan. We literally manufactured nearly $30 million of cap space and 2 needed 1st round defensive prospects out of Bertaans and the #10 pick. Richaun Holmes will take up most of the $17 million trade exception slot and leave us still with our MLE. Im not sure how the remaining $5million works on the trade exception, but we might have that available as well. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Im not sure how the remaining $5million works on the trade exception, but we might have that available as well. 

we still have the full $5 leftover value but can't combine it with another player in the same trade.  

As a non-Mavs fan, I thought they had an outstanding night. I'm not particularly enamored with the pick at 10. I thought Lively was a reach. And while he definitely fits a specific need, the history of the NBA draft is littered with cautionary tales of drafting for position over talent. It's also littered with athletic flameouts who didn't produce in actual games but wowed in one-on-none workouts. If there were any takers, I think they could have traded down for even more assets and still got him. But that's who they had their eye on from the get go, so I at least respect their conviction in identifying talent and then acquiring it. 

All that said, I absolutely love O-Max as a prospect and I'm a big Richaud Holmes fan as well. Unloading Bertans albatross contract and manufacturing two rotation players out of it along with cap space is about as big of an NBA draft night Houdini act as you will ever see. That's the first time in maybe ever (other than trading for Luka) that I can remember the Mavs front office doing something smart. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

As a non-Mavs fan, I thought they had an outstanding night. I'm not particularly enamored with the pick at 10. I thought Lively was a reach. And while he definitely fits a specific need, the history of the NBA draft is littered with cautionary tales of drafting for position over talent. It's also littered with athletic flameouts who didn't produce in actual games but wowed in one-on-none workouts. If there were any takers, I think they could have traded down for even more assets and still got him. But that's who they had their eye on from the get go, so I at least respect their conviction in identifying talent and then acquiring it. 

All that said, I absolutely love O-Max as a prospect and I'm a big Richaud Holmes fan as well. Unloading Bertans albatross contract and manufacturing two rotation players out of it along with cap space is about as big of an NBA draft night Houdini act as you will ever see. That's the first time in maybe ever (other than trading for Luka) that I can remember the Mavs front office doing something smart. 

We're all just as surprised as you are. 

• Haha 6

Also... I still don't understand why OKC would make that trade. Orlando picking at 11 reached for a point guard (Black) at 6, and they already have a glut of them on their roster. Everybody knew they were going for shooting with the other pick. No chance they were taking Cason Wallace there, and neither were the Mavericks at 10. Not sure what Presti was thinking there unless it was something that they had pre-arranged before the draft and he somehow couldn't get out of it.

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That's the first time in maybe ever (other than trading for Luka) that I can remember the Mavs front office doing something smart. 

This is where I'm at as well.  Although Jaden Hardy was a great pick as well.  Crazy to be talking about Mavs front office making good moves as it relates to the draft and/or trades of their picks.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also... I still don't understand why OKC would make that trade. Orlando picking at 11 reached for a point guard (Black) at 6, and they already have a glut of them on their roster. Everybody knew they were going for shooting with the other pick. No chance they were taking Cason Wallace there, and neither were the Mavericks at 10. Not sure what Presti was thinking there unless it was something that they had pre-arranged before the draft and he somehow couldn't get out of it.

The pod I was listening to was saying OKC needed to get to the salary floor so this was an easy way for them to achieve that as well as ensure they get the guy they wanted. 

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also, I’m sure the Mavs were telling OKC that someone else wanted their pick to get Wallace, to put more pressure. 

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

This is where I'm at as well.  Although Jaden Hardy was a great pick as well.  Crazy to be talking about Mavs front office making good moves as it relates to the draft and/or trades of their picks.

and brunson picked where he was.

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

The pod I was listening to was saying OKC needed to get to the salary floor so this was an easy way for them to achieve that as well as ensure they get the guy they wanted. 

I was wondering if that was the case when I saw the move last night.  Wasn't able to really read or listen to anything.  Makes sense.  Fortunate for us.  Tanking those games paid off!

• Hook 'Em 1

Hardy and Green will get guard minutes.
Kyrie or Harden? Well Harden is almost 34 now so I'll pass.
As the roster's constructed right now Josh 's minutes are going to be mostly at the 3.

Kai, Luka, hardy, Lawson, wright
Timmy, Reggie, Seth, lawson
Josh, pinson
Omax, holmes
Dwight, lively, magee

We really need another wing. And another center.

On 6/23/2023 at 2:09 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Omax is a new school Andre Kirilenko. All the defensive versatility and athleticism of AK-47 but with the more than adequate corner 3 potential of today's wing players

That's a hell of a floor you're setting for that man. If I'm a Mavs fan I'd be happy if he's 70% of the defender that AK was. 

7 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

As the roster's constructed right now Josh 's minutes are going to be mostly at the 3.

Kai, Luka, hardy, Lawson, wright
Timmy, Reggie, Seth, lawson
Josh, pinson
Omax, holmes
Dwight, lively, magee

We really need another wing. And another center.

Agreed on needs but I think your depth chart is not really reflective of where they’ll play:

PG: Luka, Kyrie, MMJ

SG: Kyrie, Curry, Hardy

SF: Green, THJ/Bullock (one will get moved)

PF: OMax, Holmes, Maxi (not convinced Holmes will stay)

C: Powell, Lively (Magee is certainly gone)

Edited by Porterhouse

With a lot of the wings coming off the board (thank God Houston took DIllon Brooks away from us) we're down to guys like Kelly Oubre, Lonnie Walker, Terrence Ross, and Torrey Craig. There are other guys like Jeff Green and Jalen McDaniels who are bigger and more likely to be suited for a switchable center role. 

On 7/1/2023 at 5:39 PM, Porterhouse said:

Agreed on needs but I think your depth chart is not really reflective of where they’ll play:

PG: Luka, Kyrie, MMJ

SG: Kyrie, Curry, Hardy

SF: Green, THJ/Bullock (one will get moved)

PF: OMax, Holmes, Maxi (not convinced Holmes will stay)

😄 Powell, Lively (Magee is certainly gone)

kyrie's not a SG.  even when they were on the court at the same time he was more a 1 than 2. THJ can play the 3 but more often than that he was asked to be the third ball handler (which he wasn't really good at either).  i would be surprised if mike miles makes the team but it would be nice to have his size and hometown kid story.

16 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

kyrie's not a SG.  even when they were on the court at the same time he was more a 1 than 2. THJ can play the 3 but more often than that he was asked to be the third ball handler (which he wasn't really good at either).  i would be surprised if mike miles makes the team but it would be nice to have his size and hometown kid story.

Of course he’s not a SG but that’s where he effectively plays when they’re on the court.  I would be mildly surprised if MMJ doesn’t make it. Because they need him and he’s older.  I can’t see who’s better to give you 15 MPG at PG.  But I easily could be wrong and they want him to develop in G League. 

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Of course he’s not a SG but that’s where he effectively plays when they’re on the court.  I would be mildly surprised if MMJ doesn’t make it. Because they need him and he’s older.  I can’t see who’s better to give you 15 MPG at PG.  But I easily could be wrong and they want him to develop in G League. 

barring injuries i don't know that we have extra minutes for a PG that far down the bench.  with who we have now the PG duties fall to luka, kyrie, seth, hardy, lawson, wright, miles.  4 of those guys will play on any given night.  when luka and kyrie sit for load mgt purposes that frees up lots of minutes but that's once every two weeks, maybe twice every 3 weeks.