Three Californias?

bernorange

Just now, DanRydell said:

The goal of the plan was to make each state roughly 13 million people so you’d have to find another 3-4m people to move from California to Southern California if you flipped San Diego.

Did not know that but makes sense.  The Central Valley is one of those areas of the country that prides itself on being Conservative Republican but in reality is a poor, welfare state.  It's basically like the Deep South.  They've talked about breaking apart because of "values" but good luck running a state with that economy.  It'd be like if Alabama and Mississippi seceded and formed their own country.

5 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

The goal of the plan was to make each state roughly 13 million people so you’d have to find another 3-4m people to move from California to Southern California if you flipped San Diego.

I assure you, that was not the goal

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

I assure you, that was not the goal

The guy pushing this isn't a major Democratic operative. He donated to both Obama and Romney but otherwise he has donated to the RNC, California Republican Party, and Feinstein's Republican opponents.

14 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

Lol. They’ll stay 13M each for a couple years then end up with the same problem.  

Southern Cal there seems primed to become Jersey.  And SD would be Sewark?  Do not want.  

50 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Why would San Diego be a part of "Southern California?"  You take them out and that's the poorest state in the country.  "California" will then be the richest state in the country and it's not close.  Expect big tax cuts now that they've detached the Central Valley.  "Northern California" would still be dominated by the Bay Area.

Don't kid yourselves on the Republican/Democratic breakout.  That's 6 Democratic Senators right there.

There's a ton of agriculture money in the Imperial Valley. 

29 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

The guy pushing this isn't a major Democratic operative. He donated to both Obama and Romney but otherwise he has donated to the RNC, California Republican Party, and Feinstein's Republican opponents.

A HOOOR. The term you are looking for is HOOOR.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Name? Wouldn't happen to be Lalo's Sportsman's Club, would it?

No, but I will have to check that out. I generally lurk downtown between the Greyhound station and that park where the Republica del Rio Grande museum is.

9 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

No, but I will have to check that out. I generally lurk downtown between the Greyhound station and that park where the Republica del Rio Grande museum is.

It's on a hill not far from the river. I was told that in the big flood in the 1950s, the regulars ran down to where it used to be, in the floodplain, and carried up the hill to where it is now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Don't kid yourselves on the Republican/Democratic breakout.  That's 6 Democratic Senators right there.

I bet if you can breakout the counties in South California over the last few elections, it'd be red.

San Diego is one of the least blue urban centers in the nation, and the total of all the ag counties are going to overcome the margins in SD.

47 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I bet if you can breakout the counties in South California over the last few elections, it'd be red.

San Diego is one of the least blue urban centers in the nation, and the total of all the ag counties are going to overcome the margins in SD.

It's about 35 points redder than the other two but it still went to Obama 49.1 - 48.4 over Romney and Clinton 51.5 - 41.8 over Trump. 

21 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

such a fucking moronic idea.

Yep. Instead of dividing California, they should aggregate less populated states.

1. Californiwai (2)

2. Washiregonidaka (4)

3. Nevarizotahado (4)

4. Montadakoming (4)

5. Minnenbowakanouri (5)

6. Oklarkamissalana (5)

7. Texasico (2)

8. Flocarolitennegiarico (5+1)

9. Wisillindikenohigan (6)

10. Virgimaryania (4)

11. Yorkerseyware (3)

13. Massahamainerhodicutont (6)

We get back to 13 states with Puerto Rico accounted for.

3 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

There's a ton of agriculture money in the Imperial Valley. 

and absolutely no water. That agriculture is completely dependent on water from the mountains in Northern California. 

Dunno why the above post weirded out. 

Pods, I was under the impression that the Imperial Valley survives on Colorado River water.  The fact that much of that water is being diverted from the farmers to the homes in San Diego is the reason that the Salton Sea is in such distress.

21 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:
21 minutes ago, AeroHorn said:

6. Oklarkamissalana (5)

7. Texasico (2)

You kept Texas and Oklahoma separated, which is mandatory for any discussion to continue.

Edited by 27-25

6 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Pods, I was under the impression that the Imperial Valley survives on Colorado River water.  The fact that much of that water is being diverted from the farmers to the homes in San Diego is the reason that the Salton Sea is in such distress.

Yeah the Imperial Valley has an absurd distribution of water from the Colorado River. 

15 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Imperial Valley does. The rest of the ag regions depend on the mountains. Some of those would be in Southern California (those dots to the east of Fresno), but the vast majority of them would be in Northern California. Virtually all of LA's drinking water would have to come from adjacent states. 

Water_in_California_new.png

Edited by Pods

1 hour ago, plimon said:

I think that's the place where I stopped first on a night out. Had a hot dog outside and then some men dressed as women invited me to buy them drinks.

Next stop was a bar on an alley closer to the river. A dude in body armor patted me down for weapons, and remembered to check the boots. In Western North Carolina, they'd skip the boot check. I'm like, why would you even check me for weapons if you don't check the boots? Anyway, I found the oldest guy in the bar and had a beer with him, then gtfo.

I don't like that hotel bar by the river, because it's all ate up with cops.

My default spot is On The Rocks where some pals play in a punk band. Very large draft beers for a reasonable fee.

I like Laredo. It's the kind of place where if you're white, they switch to Spanish because they figure you must be from Monterrey.

• 1 month later...

The court's ruling states that because there are questions about the proposition's validity, the potential harm of putting it on the ballot now outweighs concerns about delaying the vote until a future election.
Opponents sued arguing the proposal abolishes the state constitution, which cannot be done in a ballot initiative.

http://abc30.com/politics/measure-to-split-california-pulled-from-november-ballot/3783354/