GA High school blown call... how does this happen?

MonkeyDoughnut

I personally don't give a shit about Georgia high school football results but to each their own. 

Of course that's a terrible call. There are probably 50 worse calls made every week around the country at that level. 

Edited by ztejas

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I personally don't give a shit about Georgia high school football results but to each their own. 

Of course that's a terrible call. There are probably 50 worst calls made every week around the country at that level. 

I’d be pretty surprised if there were 50 worse calls this season than one calling a TD when the runner is stoned at the one yard line, costing a team a state title. 

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’d be pretty surprised if there were 50 worse calls this season than one calling a TD when the runner is stoned at the one yard line, costing a team a state title. 

I'm not talking about the context of the call I'm saying on the level high school refs make horrible calls all the time. 

This was Georgia 3A, btw. There is also 4A, 5A, 6A and 7A.

Obviously we can all agree that school got hosed. I'm just saying shit like this happens all the time. Especially in fairly unpublicized games like this. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not talking about the context of the call I'm saying on the level high school refs make horrible calls all the time. 

This was Georgia 3A, btw. There is also 4A, 5A, 6A and 7A.

Obviously we can all agree that school got hosed. I'm just saying shit like this happens all the time. Especially in fairly unpublicized games like this. 

I didn’t think anyone was arguing that it never happens, rather that this one was so obviously, egregiously wrong.

Hell, there’s not even the “well, everyone holds” or “PI like that gets called/doesn’t get called all the time “ kind of argument. Even the team that won knows they didn’t really win. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I didn’t think anyone was arguing that it never happens, rather that this one was so obviously, egregiously wrong.

Hell, there’s not even the “well, everyone holds” or “PI like that gets called/doesn’t get called all the time “ kind of argument. Even the team that won knows they didn’t really win. 

OP phrased the thread as "how does this happen?"

What I'm saying is that this happens all the fucking time. And in this particular instance I don't give a shit. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

OP phrased the thread as "how does this happen?"

What I'm saying is that this happens all the fucking time. And in this particular instance I don't give a shit. 

Can you point to another time a guy clearly was tackled with the ball at the one and was awarded a TD?

Not, “maybe he broke the plane” or “maybe it went over the pylon” or “maybe his forward progress hadn’t been stopped” or “maybe something.”

Bad calls happen all the time. This doesn’t. 

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Seems likely they would have kicked a field goal and there would have been overtime. Either way, that's not a "to be fair" situation.

To be fair was in response to the implication the other team wins if the play is called correctly. 

54 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Can you point to another time a guy clearly was tackled with the ball at the one and was awarded a TD?

Not, “maybe he broke the plane” or “maybe it went over the pylon” or “maybe his forward progress hadn’t been stopped” or “maybe something.”

you must be new to watching B12 football.  

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

My apologies. Perhaps I haven't made this clear for you. 

I don't give a flying fuck what happens in some 3A high school game in a state that I've never been to let alone lived in. 

Who the fuck gives a shit. 

If you're so impassioned maybe you can go start a facebook-mom advocacy campaign.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't give a flying fuck what happens in some 3A high school game in a state that I've never been to let alone lived in. 

If you're so impassioned maybe you can go start a facebook-mom advocacy campaign.

Stop being an idiot. The thread topic was clearly indicated by the title so nobody gives a shit that you don't give a shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Your lack of interest in the topic definitely shows in the way you keep coming back to a post with a clear title and clearer content. 

Just now, Doc Daneeka said:

30 seconds. Pick your best one. 

Sure.  Fumble by ou on (I believe?) their first drive against us this year that was called incorrectly and not reviewed.

Want another?

Safety that wasn't vs Alabama.

Didn't require any research, just thinking for about 5 seconds about our games this year.

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Sure.  Fumble by ou on (I believe?) their first drive against us this year that was called incorrectly and not reviewed.

Want another?

Safety that wasn't vs Alabama.

Didn't require any research, just thinking for about 5 seconds about our games this year.

Holding that wasn't  called vs Bama

Facemask that wasn't called vs Bama

PI that wasn't called vs Bama

Holding that wasn't called vs TCU

• Hook 'Em 1

Holding that wasn't  called vs Bama
Facemask that wasn't called vs Bama
PI that wasn't called vs Bama
Holding that wasn't called vs TCU

From above: Hell, there’s not even the “well, everyone holds” or “PI like that gets called/doesn’t get called all the time “ kind of argument. Even the team that won knows they didn’t really win. 

The closest one that comes to mind is the PF on Strong versus Oklahoma State in 2015, but even PF is very discretionary.

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

One of the missed calls by a Big 12 crew that comes closest to this one was the Oklahoma vs. Oregon onside kick where there was no clear recovery during action, Oklahoma clearly came out of the pile with the ball, and they awarded possession to Oregon.

Of course in that case I smiled.

chris-farley.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Damn dude???

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

One of the missed calls by a Big 12 crew that comes closest to this one was the Oklahoma vs. Oregon onside kick where there was no clear recovery during action, Oklahoma clearly came out of the pile with the ball, and they awarded possession to Oregon.

Of course in that case I smiled.

That’s a good one. They’re so bad they’re in 5th Down territory. 

Edit: Not Big 12, but the non-call on the PI where the Saint got blown up way early against the Rams. PI has a lot of subjectivity, but that was objectively wrong. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah I went back and watched it and had forgotten that Oregon clearly touched it before it went 10 yards also. I mean there was no way it was Oregon's ball but they did what I would have done if I was in charge of that game. Fuck Oklahoma.

The reason I remember this one so clearly is, as a Texas fan, I always wondered if there is any level of pure, objective screw job that could actually make me feel some slight level pity for ou.

That day definitively confirmed: there is not.

2 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I’ve been watching it as long as it’s existed. 

Which play(s) would you say were so completely wrong as this one, which has an objectively verifiable criterion?

You can go back to our game vs Baylor and look at the spots.  The PF on Strong.  The multiple helmet hits against Sam that we never called.  

30 seconds. Pick your best one. 

Texas @ Baylor

Grant Taeff’s final game.

Baylor 4th and long trailing with under 2:00 to play

Pass to TE (or FB?) downfield bang-bang Winifred Tubbs destroys receiver as he catches(?) the ball, UT recovers

Only two possible results: Complete pass + fumble recovery; or incomplete pass on 4th down.

After 5 minute discussion? The call: Complete pass….forward progress stopped before ball came loose. Baylor ball. First down.

Worst call in the history of worst calls. I hope those refs involved are dead.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Texas @ Baylor

Pass to TE (or FB?) downfield bang-bang Winifred Tubbs destroys receiver as he catches(?) the ball, UT recovers

Only two possible results: Complete pass + fumble recovery; or incomplete pass on 4th down.

After 5 minute discussion? The call: Complete pass….forward progress stopped before ball came loose. Baylor ball. First down.

Not Big 12 but, yes, that game was fixed. Period. That that’s the level of comparison pretty much puts to bed that this is just the typical kind of incompetent call. 

If you wanted to throw in another fixed game, the bonfire game would also work. 

14 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

Texas @ Baylor

I absolutely lost my shit when that happened.  If I had been the coach, my assistants would have had to hold me back.