Google is pissing me off

Bevo

Some person who I don’t know gave me a bad review on Google. I wanted to get it removed and Google prompted me to claim it first. So I claimed this one review under my personal name. Then I asked Google to remove it and didn’t get a response.

Fuck that. It seems like I could write a bad review of the CEO of Google but I’m sure he wouldn’t allow it. Anyway, now if someone searches my name on the web, it shows a bad review. Should I ignore it or is there some way to fight Google. If it was my company site I wouldn’t give a shit. But that action by Google to make you claim it before disputing it and then not responding is pure bullshit.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Some person who I don’t know gave me a bad review on Google. I wanted to get it removed and Google prompted me to claim it first. So I claimed this one review under my personal name. Then I asked Google to remove it and didn’t get a response.

Fuck that. It seems like I could write a bad review of the CEO of Google but I’m sure he wouldn’t allow it. Anyway, now if someone searches my name on the web, it shows a bad review. Should I ignore it or is there some way to fight Google. If it was my company site I wouldn’t give a shit. But that action by Google to make you claim it before disputing it and then not responding is pure bullshit.

How many weeks we talking?

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

How many weeks we talking?

It was a few months ago. I’m on vacation now so I don’t mind thinking of something like this a bit. It’s kind of hard to get too worked up laying on a hammock with a drink in hand.

On the one hand, I think Google deserves a class action suit for their crappy practices (assuming lots of other people have been victims) but on the other it is much healthier to not dwell on such things. If my name was David Smith it wouldn’t matter at all but with an uncommon name like Bevo, I’m pretty easy to find in a search. I’m kind of a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

It was a few months ago. I’m on vacation now so I don’t mind thinking of something like this a bit. It’s kind of hard to get too worked up laying on a hammock with a drink in hand.

On the one hand, I think Google deserves a class action suit for their crappy practices (assuming lots of other people have been victims) but on the other it is much healthier to not dwell on such things. If my name was David Smith it wouldn’t matter at all but with an uncommon name like Bevo, I’m pretty easy to find in a search. I’m kind of a big deal.

It wasn't me then.

Seriously though... there setup for that sucks obviously. Having to claim it which associates it.. just to try and have them "unassociate" it...

22 hours ago, Bevo said:

are you suggesting that someone does not have the right to express their opinion about you?  that’s what a review is.  you want to censor people?

22 hours ago, Bevo said:

I have found Bevo’s posts on Surly to be inconsistent, lacking enthusiasm, and with weak flavor. Would not recommend. 2 stars. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Assuming this is for a business, the best solution is to ask your satisfied customers to give you positive reviews.  No one expects a business to have 100% positive reviews but it definitely looks bad if your only review, or one of three, is bad.

I realize some business owners do not want to ask customers to leave reviews. It can sound like begging but it’s part of the marketing game now. Reputation mgmt is a billion dollar business.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Assuming this is for a business, the best solution is to ask your satisfied customers to give you positive reviews.  No one expects a business to have 100% positive reviews but it definitely looks bad if your only review, or one of three, is bad.

I realize some business owners do not want to ask customers to leave reviews. It can sound like begging but it’s part of the marketing game now. Reputation mgmt is a billion dollar business.

My company reviews are great. Someone who I don’t know did a review under my name instead of my company. I don’t want any reviews under my name.

On 12/23/2022 at 10:22 AM, futureman said:

are you suggesting that someone does not have the right to express their opinion about you?  that’s what a review is.  you want to censor people?

Now I need to go read your reviews of Dak Prescott and Mike White.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:53 PM, Bevo said:

My company reviews are great. Someone who I don’t know did a review under my name instead of my company. I don’t want any reviews under my name.

Somewhat similar situation happened to my girlfriend. Immigration attorney for a firm and someone gave her a bad review that was more of a front office issue - nothing to do with the case. 

She opened her own firm and that negative Google review is now under her name. Can't undo it.

2 hours ago, mycox said:

Somewhat similar situation happened to my girlfriend. Immigration attorney for a firm and someone gave her a bad review that was more of a front office issue - nothing to do with the case. 

She opened her own firm and that negative Google review is now under her name. Can't undo it.

Yeah, that's my issue. At some point I'll retire. All the company reviews will disappear but this lone review from someone I don't know will follow me. I guess I could ask people to review me personally to alleviate the issue but that's not what I want.

It really should be libel in my case and maybe in your wife's case as well and Google should be partially responsible. Every manager would have this issue if it worked the same at large corporations as it seems to work for small professional groups. Look up every mid-level to upper-level manager at Google and give them a bad review. I bet those would get removed somehow, though.

• Like 1

So someone just created a "business" profile called Bevo and then left a bad review of you?  If there is a profile of you, won't Google allow you to claim or take control of it including deleting it? It's not about deleting the review, isn't it about deleting the profile?

How long have you been communicating with Google? They can move slow especially in terms of a free service.

1 hour ago, RPM said:

What kind of reply did you give? Was it a generic 'had we known you were unhappy' apology or a point by point denial of the claims?

No response. I don't want any comments under my personal name. My company has very high ratings but generally we don't respond to comments, which I know is dumb, but it hasn't stopped us from having more business than we can handle. I need to have someone intelligent respond to reviews, but it won't be me: It causes me too much angst even with positive comments. I just don't like reading what others think of me even if it is usually praise. kind of a personality quirk but pretty minor in the Surly realm