Beer 2023: Y’all still drink or nah?

HenryJames

On 10/20/2023 at 5:45 PM, sith_horn said:

Real Ale has a number of brews I'd like to try. Wish they offered Commissar and Real Heavy in 12 oz bottles instead of 22 oz Bombers only though.

They do.  They have a Winter mixed 6 pack that also has the Black Quad, in addition to Commissar and the Real Heavy.  It is almost criminally underpriced and this year I was finding it until summer rolled around.

That is the best multipack out there, IMHO.

Edit: Fireman's4 beat me to it.  Username and such...

Edited by slorch

46 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Thats like the perfect trap for a Eileen Wournos type.

I'd have to know what IPAs they were in order to pass judgement. If it's something like Leinenkugel's or Goose Island, he should get the maximum plus 10 years.  But if it was Russian River Blind Pig IPA or Fat Head's Head Hunter ... I could understand. That shit is delicioius. 

On 10/20/2023 at 5:45 PM, sith_horn said:

Real Ale has a number of brews I'd like to try. Wish they offered Commissar and Real Heavy in 12 oz bottles instead of 22 oz Bombers only though.

I found the Bomber pack sixer at HEB in Lubbock today and it had a tag( non-seasonal.)

If we have up here on the Llano Estacado, there's a damn good chance you can find it closer to Austin/ Blanco.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, utee94 said:

Looks good.  Never heard of Klaus, that's in Houston? 

According to their website, yes. I've not been there. Got this at HEB. I was a little disappointed with it and won't buy it again. I agree it looked good, but ... caveat, taste is subjective and all that. My first try of a dunkel or Klaus brewing. Maybe it's better on draft or this batch was not to my liking.

41 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

RIP Oskar Blues Austin

https://craftbeeraustin.com/oskar-blues-closed?mibextid=Zxz2cZ

Wild. I was just there on Sunday. 

Austin has seen a rash of brewery closures over the past few months and the North Austin Brewery District has been hit the hardest with the closure of 4th Tap Brewing Co-op (July 2022), Adelbert’s Brewery (October 2022), and most recently Circle Brewing Co. (September 2023).

Son bought a 4-pk of the French Toast Bastard and said it was wonderful.  I love their Scotch Ale.  I don't think all of their KBS variants are worth the squeeze, but Founders generally makes good beer.

210492__02744.1696700188.jpg?c=2?imbypas

Edited by slorch

At a joint in Omaha called Backlot Pizza, but their beer lineup is fantastic.  Had a local Snow Beast Winter Ale by Kinkaider( 6.8abv,) then a Grain BeltPremium, because why the fuck not?  Followed that with a Founder’s French Toast Bastard 8oz pour( 11.1ABV) and I floated that keg,only to close it out with Boulevard Rye on Rye(13.2 ABV)

The high ABV brews were fantastic and I love them for the difference from the same-ole, same-ole routine.  That being said, the Grain BeltPremium immediately took me to my childhood when we would be watching wresting ( VonErichs/ Kabuki) with our grandfather and he’d ask for a beer.  My cousins and I would race to the utility room fridge and grab him a black label/ meister brau/some other cheap ass brew and take a good 2 ounces off the top for good measure.  Gotdam that taste just takes me back to some golden ass memories.  Love it!!!!!

Edit: my hotel was a 2 block stumble away, so perfect indulgence situation

Edited by slorch