2023 Houston Texans Offseason - A Huge #2

The Earl of Texas

So LZ says we traded up into the second round to get a C with a third round grade (5 picks after the better C got snagged)?

Who’s third round grade? The same media experts that said Will Levis was the best QB in the draft? The only grades that matter are the grades a team makes in building it’s board from film, workouts, interviews. All this fretting of draft position really is ridiculous. How are you building your team and if you’re getting a great fit 13 positions higher than Mel kiper thinks really is irrelevant if they can play. Half these picks won’t be on rosters in three years regardless.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Who’s third round grade? The same media experts that said Will Levis was the best QB in the draft? The only grades that matter are the grades a team makes in building it’s board from film, workouts, interviews. All this fretting of draft position really is ridiculous. How are you building your team and if you’re getting a great fit 13 positions higher than Mel kiper thinks really is irrelevant if they can play. Half these picks won’t be on rosters in three years regardless.

You were touting LZ’s grades. LZ had the Minnesota center rated higher. Caserio could have pulled the trigger and got him, but waited and got the next guy a rung or two lower. 

14 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^

No shit. They took the center with the second to last pick of the 2nd round. Would he have have been a much better value if they had gotten him 2 picks later at the top of the 3rd?

I don’t give a shit where they are picked. I was bitching because he hesitated and got a lower rated player. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

It's not who (player), but when/where that player is drafted that I find interesting and leaves teams open to criticism during the draft.

But even that... You don't know if it worked for a season, if not 3.

14 minutes ago, Slacks said:

But even that... You don't know if it worked for a season, if not 3.

True. That applies to any round, any pick. Today, however, as I sit here farting into my couch cushions, I can only judge picks on where they were selected versus where they should have been picked, and to a lesser extent the needs of the team that drafted him. 

Both the Penn State and ND guys are centers but have experience at guard as well. Hopefully one steps up in the middle this year, that’s the massive weak spot on the OL. 

Will be interesting to see what veterans are available in the next couple of weeks as teams make cap cuts based on the younger/cheaper dudes they just drafted. Will be mostly depth at this point, but we need upgrades there as much as the starting poisitions.

The trade up was expensive for sure, but I fucking love Will Anderson - I think he’s going to be a star. Glad we pushed the Cardinals 4th rounder to a 3rd rounder next year, essentially cancels out that part of the move up…

• Hook 'Em 2

Brandon Hill Safety Pitt @ 248

Hill redshirted his first year in Pittsburgh (no statistics in four games played) coming off a strong career at Wekiva High School in Florida. He started twice in 10 games played in 2020 (27 tackles, 1.5 for loss, one interception -- returned for a score -- and two forced fumbles) before starting 13 of 14 appearances in 2021, garnering second-team All-ACC honors (81 tackles, two interceptions, six pass breakups). Hill was an honorable mention all-league pick in 2022 (67 tackles, two pass breakups), starting 12 games and then opting out of the team's bowl game to prepare for the draft. -- by Chad Reuter

Edited by Saint Tacky

So, we drafted two interior guys to replace our shitty OC, and we are looking for more interior OL since our 1st round OG from aggy is also shitty and we want to replace him. Great. Seems like we got this shit figured out. This franchise is so fucked with McNair and Caserio.

26 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Production Score 76
2023  Combine WR Rank: 9th

Athleticism Score *est 69
2023  Combine WR Rank: 34th

Total Score
74      2023 Combine WR Rank: 15th

40-Yard Dash
4.53 Seconds

Vertical Jump
36’’

Broad Jump
9’ 8’’

3-Cone Drill
6.91 Seconds

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Production Score 76
2023  Combine WR Rank: 9th

Athleticism Score *est 69
2023  Combine WR Rank: 34th

Total Score
74      2023 Combine WR Rank: 15th

40-Yard Dash
4.53 Seconds

Vertical Jump
36’’

Broad Jump
9’ 8’’

3-Cone Drill
6.91 Seconds

Speed was supposedly his biggest knock

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So, we drafted two interior guys to replace our shitty OC, and we are looking for more interior OL since our 1st round OG from aggy is also shitty and we want to replace him. Great. Seems like we got this shit figured out. This franchise is so fucked with McNair and Caserio.

You realize everyone picked from like 1PM today forward has like a 12% chance of being on the 53-man roster all year, right?

5 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

Ringo is going to wind up being a safety in the league. If you want a safety, I can't believe Antonio Johnson is in such a downward spiral. I hope he lasts for the Texans next pick.

Antonio Johnson  #160 pick to Jags (5th Rd)

• Hook 'Em 1