If you like Texas football and open this thread. Be prepared to spend 1K on NIL

immamac

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think we are going to settle on $150 a month to Texas One as a starting point. Coincidentally- I just found a program through one of my vendors where they will use my loyalty points to donate 150 a month to the charity of my choice. 
I’d rather fine 100 other people on here to give 200k to Duce Robinson as @closetojumpingoff handedly suggested, but as that doesn’t look likely to happen that’s our next step above and beyond Burnt Endz and other site giveaways. 

You'll have to setup some sort of Kickstarter/GoFundMe, to gauge the interest level. 

14 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If they can incorporate it into the checkout or cart process for your donations/ticket purchases that would be elite. Like a section with a value slot and have some text like the following:

“Would you like to donate to Texas One Fund?”  
<Space to Enter Donation amount here>

<Drop down menu option to make one time or recurring>

<Drop down menu for frequency of recurring payment>

[Paragraph saying it’s tax deductible under the tax code here]

Illegal. You misspelled illegal.  

we’re going on 18 so months of dissecting this stuff. Youve been on the boards for all of it. Do you just not understand the laws or do you think it’s fun to just suggest  random unachievable shit? Like you stay at home looking in a mirror and shout things like “Let the University pay players directly” or “Im gonna get laid!”

14 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

They should make a credit card that instead of rewards pays into the Texas One Fund.

That is…that’s actually an interesting idea. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Illegal. You misspelled illegal.  

we’re going on 18 so months of dissecting this stuff. Youve been on the boards for all of it. Do you just not understand the laws or do you think it’s fun to should suggest  random unachievable shit? Like you stay at home looking in a mirror and shout things like “Let the University pay players directly” or “Im gonna get laid!”

That is…that’s actually an interesting idea. 

It was a hypothetical and was with LHF. Hell it would be a good idea to link the TexasOneFund on their website if possible, which I don't see how that would be any different than showing QR codes in the stadium. Could put it under the "Giving"  section.

image.thumb.png.071757208b9f2e7522650f1fa425e8cf.png

Who knows what NIL laws will be or if the state plans on changing them soon.

It's just ideas that could go into it if there were ways around it. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

It was a hypothetical and was with LHF. Hell it would be a good idea to link the TexasOneFund on their website if possible. 

Who knows what NIL laws will be or if the state plans on changing them soon.

It's just ideas that could go into it if there were ways around it. 

Well, the state was planning on discussing making some changes this session, but I haven’t seen it on any legislative agenda. But if they did change the laws, in ways that would make that legal, every school would do it and therefore it wouldn’t be elite, imo. Changes I would expect would be ones that fix Texas being at a competitive disadvantage to states like Cali. 

At the end of the day 9 times out of 10 what will make Texas elite is the size and relative success of our alumni base. It all comes back to numbers. Anything else cool or best can be copied. 

But yeah, tossing out hypotheticals that are currently illegal is sorta worthless. It’s also probably what led to a&m tying their fucking NIL to their athletic department. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

They should make a credit card that instead of rewards pays into the Texas One Fund.

i mean potentially it could have been an option on smile.amazon.com but they nuked that program from orbit.

Edited by NoName
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, the state was planning on discussing making some changes this session, but I haven’t seen it on any legislative agenda. But if they did change the laws, in ways that would make that legal, every school would do it and therefore it wouldn’t be elite, imo. Changes I would expect would be ones that fix Texas being at a competitive disadvantage to states like Cali. 

At the end of the day 9 times out of 10 what will make Texas elite is the size and relative success of our alumni base. It all comes back to numbers. Anything else cool or best can be copied. 

But yeah, tossing out hypotheticals that are currently illegal is sorta worthless. It’s also probably what led to a&m tying their fucking NIL to their athletic department. 

Considering how popular our 995 industry is compared to other teams I don't see anyway we couldn't get 10s of thousands signed up for $10 a month with the right marketing. I think a good idea for that could be giving like an "insider" newsletter that comes from various coaches of the different sport that gives fans more of an insight into the program without giving any details they couldn't. It probably could work considering how all the coaches know how important NIL is for their sports and recruiting/retention purposes.

Also check the edited message you quoted....would that be against the rules/law?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

Considering how popular our 995 industry is compared to other teams I don't see anyway we couldn't get 10s of thousands signed up for $10 a month with the right marketing. I think a good idea for that could be giving like an "insider" newsletter that comes from various coaches of the different sport that gives fans more of an insight into the program without giving any details they couldn't. It probably could work considering how all the coaches know how important NIL is for their sports and recruiting/retention purposes.

Also check the edited message you quoted....would that be against the rules/law?

I doubt it. That’s literally what stacked and burnt ends offer, exclusive content. I’m not sure you could get the coaches, legally. Or if you’d want to, seems like an easy way to get a coach to trip up and say something he shouldn’t. 

TexasOneFund now needs more money and more full time staff, imo. Get a war chest big enough to meet current commitments, then hire some full time managers, marketers, folks who make this their full time job to grow OneFund. There’s a couple folks now but obviously need more. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Over It Ugh GIF

what 9.95ers are ever going to encourage people to give money to someone else? you think Ketch is going to be in favor of that? so far, Surly fucking Horns has put together a plan to pay a position group and guess who hasn't done jack shit:

• TFB
  • OB
  • HornSports

10's of thousands more people signed up? At this exact moment Burnt Ends has 324 total members. let's be generous so you think the 9.95ers out there are willing to find the other 96.75% of people? you think they are going to push to get 9,676 MORE people to sign up for something that profits them exactly zero dollars? 

how many of those groups above have reached out to @immamacto ask about setting something up? how many have actually set something up? he has the infrastructure in place. how many have even teased doing something like Burnt Ends? how many have done jack shit when it comes to NIL and actually raising money?

let's go a step beyond - how many have announced doing something like the BAMF Award - that would be incredibly easy for them to do. "let's crowdsource some money and give it to a single person we vote on"?

9.95ers generally care about one thing, themselves. one would think that as long as you have been around you would have some basic level of understanding of this concept...but nope.

I think a good idea for that could be giving like an "insider" newsletter that comes from various coaches of the different sport that gives fans more of an insight into the program without giving any details they couldn't.

imagine the most bland shit possible, that is what you would get. or you end up with someone saying something they shouldn't and either losing a player to the portal or getting fired.

do you really and truly think Sark is going to be having someone write about how good player XYZ looks in the weight room, how player ABC is running routes, how player DEF is in the best shape of his life in spring practice?

what do you think the T&F coach should write? Men's Golf? Women's rowing? Tennis?

the only way a newsletter from a coach has literally any value is if you go the Fran way and share information you aren't supposed to. As a reminder, he required people to pay 1200 a year to access it and sign a NDA. " It offered Franchione's candid assessments of players and specific injury information, details Franchione routinely declined to discuss publicly"

why would anyone ever pay to get the most bland information possible? what - do you think some coach is going to talk about how Player X really needs to give it more or he is going to get overrecruited? or if player Y doesn't start making more contact that he will get less playing time in next weekend's baseball series? come on.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, NoName said:

Over It Ugh GIF

what 9.95ers are ever going to encourage people to give money to someone else? you think Ketch is going to be in favor of that? so far, Surly fucking Horns has put together a plan to pay a position group and guess who hasn't done jack shit:

• On3/IT
  • TFB
  • OB
  • HornSports

10's of thousands more people signed up? At this exact moment Burnt Ends has 324 total members. let's be generous so you think the 9.95ers out there are willing to find the other 96.75% of people? you think they are going to push to get 9,676 MORE people to sign up for something that profits them exactly zero dollars? 

how many of those groups above have reached out to @immamacto ask about setting something up? how many have actually set something up? he has the infrastructure in place. how many have even teased doing something like Burnt Ends? how many have done jack shit when it comes to NIL and actually raising money?

let's go a step beyond - how many have announced doing something like the BAMF Award - that would be incredibly easy for them to do. "let's crowdsource some money and give it to a single person we vote on"?

9.95ers generally care about one thing, themselves. one would think that as long as you have been around you would have some basic level of understanding of this concept...but nope.

imagine the most bland shit possible, that is what you would get. or you end up with someone saying something they shouldn't and either losing a player to the portal or getting fired.

do you really and truly think Sark is going to be having someone write about how good player XYZ looks in the weight room, how player ABC is running routes, how player DEF is in the best shape of his life in spring practice?

what do you think the T&F coach should write? Men's Golf? Women's rowing? Tennis?

the only way a newsletter from a coach has literally any value is if you go the Fran way and share information you aren't supposed to. As a reminder, he required people to pay 1200 a year to access it and sign a NDA. " It offered Franchione's candid assessments of players and specific injury information, details Franchione routinely declined to discuss publicly"

why would anyone ever pay to get the most bland information possible? what - do you think some coach is going to talk about how Player X really needs to give it more or he is going to get overrecruited? or if player Y doesn't start making more contact that he will get less playing time in next weekend's baseball series? come on.

You completely missed what I was saying. I was saying we have thousands upon thousands signed up for 995 information. So if a newsletter came from the TOF model once a month as part of what you get for your donation that could potentially thrive. I’m not saying that the 995ers send their readers and subscribers there. 

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

Over It Ugh GIF

• On3/IT
  • TFB
  • OB
  • HornSports

They will only do NIL if it drives traffic/subscriptions - I don't really care if it does and do it because it's what the community wants. I haven't had any fucking time lately because things are fucked up at my real job enough to demand most of my attention and when that isn't being demanded my family with 2 young children are time vampires as well. 

If I cared about driving traffic I would write articles all the time for shit and post them to drive traffic here via apple news and discover feed from google. I tried that for a bit during one of the summer of spring camps and people reacted overwhelmingly negative to it, not because my writing was trash, but because that's just not what this place is. I would be fine doing that, but it seems that people just don't want to be spoonfed on surly, they want to scoop and have discourse within the threads.

People don't want a newsletter - they want to know what they are a part of matters and that they have something extra to root for (landing a TE recruit, having TE catch passes, TE scoring a TD, TE making a pancake block, etc) That was the "surprise" factor for burnt ends, it's that people actually feel more "connected" to the TE room and have something besides the longhorns that makes their dopamine spike a bit more when TE do something good. It's kind of like what fantasy football did to NFL games that people didn't care about which team was playing. 

I constantly try to funnel people and money to Texas One Fund, but most people quite frankly just don't give a shit. They don't actually care about winning, they are longhorns fans because it's cool to be longhorns fans or it's just cool to wear burnt orange and shit with a bunch of your friends that you have tailgated for years with. There is an impressive amount of longhorn faithful, not longhorn football faithful. Football is just part of the longhorn thing, and the last 13 years hasn't helped that most people have just gotten used to the suck or don't know what it's like to be good anymore. I suspect when the team is regularly in the top 10 or top 5 that this will change and people will realize they like winning a whole fucking lot more than losing (they just didn't realize because they have been battered down for 13 years) we've seen the same thing here on Surly. Our user base has grown, our daily active users are not down, yet we rarely if ever hit 100 page game threads anymore - people have openly admitted all over that they just would rather do other shit on a Saturday and have moved on from Longhorn Football being the driving force for Saturdays in the fall. 

Play in 2 or 3 NY6 bowls in a row and make the playoffs consistently and that changes fast. People like winning. Right now this team still loses way too many fucking games - people were even in here saying shit like who cares about the loss to Washington it doesn't mean anything and it was just an exhibition game for young players.

• Hook 'Em 8

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I agree with much of what you said, but without saying too much, you need to remove InsideTexas from this list of guys who "haven't done shit." 

Bobby Burton has put his blood, sweat, and tears into getting Texas NIL launched properly. That guy has done as much or more than anyone here, and continues to do more than anyone anywhere else. He's intimately and strategically involved in creating, and helping to drive this stuff forward. And when I say anyone here, I'm including myself and everyone else from Surly who got this shit started and helped drive it forward. Just because you don't see a Burnt Ends program or BAMF program on IT doesn't mean that they aren't doing shit. Maybe the website doesn't have anything visible, but the guy who owns it has spent a fuck ton of time and airplane miles making shit happen. And that extra time and effort sure as shit isn't netting him more content or users. It's because he loves Texas and wants to see us fucking win. 

i will edit the OP, that's fair to say. i was meaning more then website / company doing something directly to encourage their members to pay into a NIL bucket with their name on it vs just an outbound link to a larger fund. not directed specifically at a single person. thanks for the info.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

i will edit the OP, that's fair to say. i was meaning more then website / company doing something directly to encourage their members to pay into a NIL bucket with their name on it vs just an outbound link to a larger fund. not directed specifically at a single person. thanks for the info.

IT has promoted the Texas One Fund and promoted the Houston meet up. They've actively encouraged members to join up and explained the importance.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 minute ago, NoName said:

Yeah man, I wasn't meaning to attack you, just putting info out there. I will also say, Surly is unique. The more traditional boards are full of...older, straitlaced fogies who don't think outside the box. Burnt Ends might never be replicated, or at least not for awhile, and I don't mean at Texas I mean anywhere. Look at all the shit we've pulled off over the years. Now name me some badass event or spectacle ANY other website has organized and executed on...I'll go ahead and wait. The closest thing I can think of is Ketchum's Swing 44 tournament for Cole Pittman, but as we all know he used that motherfucking event to pay off his back taxes through grift and embezzlement. Banners, Billboards, Burnt Ends, Texas NIL, this place has actually done things that effect change and require legitimate attention from the outside world. That's a testament to the kind of people that post here and general mental acuity compared to what you get elsewhere. There are not a lot of places like this out there, and most of the ones that are don't have collegiate affiliation as their focused lightning rod. 

• Hook 'Em 6

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Banners, Billboards, Burnt Ends, Texas NIL, PSU PedoBear this place has actually done things that effect change and require legitimate attention from the outside world.

You might have forgotten an important part of our history there buddy...

Pedobear wears JoPa cleats, stops Penn State from trying to obscure its  childabuse shame - CultureMap Houston

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, plumpneckbeard said:

Hello nerds. Long time lurker here, but wanted to say this thread has inspired me to put up and not shut up. Just signed up for Burnt Ends and set up a recurring donation to Texas One Fund. Now I can finally say I am a bag dropper... hopefully others will join as well too.  

Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, plumpneckbeard said:

Hello nerds. Long time lurker here, but wanted to say this thread has inspired me to put up and not shut up. Just signed up for Burnt Ends and set up a recurring donation to Texas One Fund. Now I can finally say I am a bag dropper... hopefully others will join as well too.  

Thats Not How This Works Thats Not How Any Of This Works GIF ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Well they were demonized for clearly cheerleading him to win the QB battle along with the deal. It looked like it impacted their reporting.

That’s my point, something like that can cause people to question the integrity of their reporting. That lowers their credibility, which is a direct hit to the value they are trying to provide their subscribers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

That’s my point, something like that can cause people to question the integrity of their reporting. That lowers their credibility, which is a direct hit to the value they are trying to provide their subscribers. 

They also hid the fact that they had signed him while the QB battle was still ongoing. If they had waited until the QB competition was over and then decided to sign the starting QB, that's one thing. But by signing him, not announcing it, creating content with him, while reporting on the QB competition.... It introduced a suspicion of bias. I think they would've been fine if they had just waited to sign him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

They also hid the fact that they had signed him while the QB battle was still ongoing. If they had waited until the QB competition was over and then decided to sign the starting QB, that's one thing. But by signing him, not announcing it, creating content with him, while reporting on the QB competition.... It introduced a suspicion of bias. I think they would've been fine if they had just waited to sign him.

They also announced the deal as soon as he was announced starter. Within hours, overall just a terrible biased look. 

On 2/24/2023 at 1:58 PM, BurntOrange&amp;White said:

They also announced the deal as soon as he was announced starter. Within hours, overall just a terrible biased look. 

They had that deal signed well before he was named starter lol they knew he was the starter before the offseason even started

• Hook 'Em 2