2018 MLB Thread

Netzer

Saw a quick highlight from last night where Simmons was called for an illegal slide into odor because he slid past the bag so far he couldn’t reach it. 

The clip didn’t show whether odor took offense to it or not. 

Is that the correct way to handle it?  Complain about a dangerous slide and then make a dangerous slide the next game?

8 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Yeah... totally legit, clearly within the rules.  Are you fucking blind or just stupid?

rougned-odor-slide.jpg

See that white square-shaped thing on the left side of the picture?  That's called second base and that's where thug POS was supposed to be going.

Totally within the rules. He ended up on the base and did not change his pathway. Nice still shot. Conclusive. 

Totally within the rules. He ended up on the base and did not change his pathway. Nice still shot. Conclusive. 

I suppose that depends on what part of his body you use to define his pathway. Based on his right foot, he changed his pathway 2.5-3’ to the right.

I guarantee you his body was in the same exact spot it would have been, with the exception of his right foot attempting to make contact with Simmons. Which by the way is totally fucking legal. And Simmons got grazed on the pants leg near the shin. This was a total non incident. But I suppose people hate Odor and let their emotions rule their logic. Must be a lot of Stros fans here. 

I think the issue is he still plays the same baseball he played growing up in Venezuela, and by now should have learned how to play as a mlb professional.  Maybe I’m off base but I see it his lack of plate discipline as well, and he’s been a professional long enough to have figured out professional courtesy in the field. 

I guarantee you his body was in the same exact spot it would have been, with the exception of his right foot attempting to make contact with Simmons. Which by the way is totally fucking legal. And Simmons got grazed on the pants leg near the shin. This was a total non incident. But I suppose people hate Odor and let their emotions rule their logic. Must be a lot of Stros fans here. 

But for the part of his body that grossly departed from his path in an effort to hit another player, he didn’t change his path? That’s your argument?

I don’t give a shit about Odor as a person or a player. I’m not sure I’ve even seen Odor take a single at bat in my life so I really have no opinion of him at all other than he sucks for fantasy purposes. Sounds a lot like you’re the one with a bias here.

1 hour ago, spystud13 said:

Saying you’ve never seen a guy with almost 2300 career PA take an AB says a fucking shit-ton about your knowledge of the sport. 

Who were you on Shag? 

What does the fact that I live in an area where Rangers (and Astros) games are blacked out say about my knowledge of the sport?

Though on further consideration, I probably did see him a few times in the two ALDS series against Toronto.

Edited by DanRydell

2 hours ago, DanRydell said:

But for the part of his body that grossly departed from his path in an effort to hit another player, he didn’t change his path? That’s your argument?

I don’t give a shit about Odor as a person or a player. I’m not sure I’ve even seen Odor take a single at bat in my life so I really have no opinion of him at all other than he sucks for fantasy purposes. Sounds a lot like you’re the one with a bias here.

You do realize there is only one path a player can take, that Odor slid well before the bag and ended up on the bag, and that he stuck his foot out to hit Simmons low was totally legal, right?

I like the way Odor plays. I’d feel that way if he played for the Yankees. If I’m biased, it’s against the wussification in life and sports that is on full display here. 

Edited by Guest

48 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

He’s been a full-time regular since ‘14. Just for the sake of comparison, Correa has a little over 1800 PAs. 

That’s a lot of years to only see a few ABs. 

And Astros and Rangers games have been blacked out in Texas since I first got MLBTV in 2007. 

The Phils got swept in SF and scored 1 total run in the process- a Jake Arrieta solo HR. After the series Arrieta called it “horseshit”, and essentially vowed to kick Gabe Kapler’s ass if things don’t change. I wouldn’t mess with Jake if I were Gabe, especially with that giant chin he has to aim at.

Javy Baez is the most exciting player in the field; it is known. However, he also leads the league in RBI, is third ALL TIME in HR hit in the 12th inning or later, and he’s already stolen home three times in his career, including once in the postseason vs the Dodgers. So I once again put on my Greg Amsinger hat and ask you: Is Javy Baez the most exciting player in baseball both in the field and at the plate? The answer of course is yes.

Rick Sutcliffe said today that if he were starting a franchise and he could choose any player in baseball to start with it would be Luis Severino, which sounds like something Rick Sutcliffe would say. Just a laughable decision. Sevy is young, and super talented, and might win the Cy Young this year, a year after finishing third; he’s awesome. But your number one pick? Out of everyone available? Sorry, I’ll take any number of position players ahead of the latest young, promising pitcher. 

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Rick Sutcliffe said today that if he were starting a franchise and he could choose any player in baseball to start with it would be Luis Severino, which sounds like something Rick Sutcliffe would say. Just a laughable decision. Sevy is young, and super talented, and might win the Cy Young this year, a year after finishing third; he’s awesome. But your number one pick? Out of everyone available? Sorry, I’ll take any number of position players ahead of the latest young, promising pitcher. 

Sutcliffe is an assclown blowhard.  Basically an unpolitical Schilling. 

Quit listening to him, and more importantly, quit posting his idiocy here.

(Irony: Sutcliffe and Schilling are two of my favorite players ever.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Sutcliffe is an assclown blowhard.  Basically an unpolitical Schilling. 

Quit listening to him, and more importantly, quit posting his idiocy here.

(Irony: Sutcliffe and Schilling are two of my favorite players ever.)

It takes everything I have to not neg you for saying Schilling is one of your favorite players. He's up there next to Ray Lewis as my most hated athlete of all-time. Both just reprehensible scumsacks of human shit. I want to go find my Schilling "bloody sock" rant on shaggyverse now. Cool story and all that, I know. 

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

Yankees are talking about boycotting ESPN.

USA Today article

They are upset that ESPN is moving a Sunday game in Toronto from 1:00 to a night game, when they have a doubleheader scheduled the next day in Baltimore.

The game isn't until July 8, so it might get moved back. MLB office and MLBPA are negotiating with ESPN.

ESPN bent the knee, game now moved to 1pm. Also the Yankees just lost SP Jordan Montgomery for the next couple years to TJ surgery. Domingo German to take his spot long term at the moment. 

19 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Vladdy Jr supposed to be promoted within the next month. Awesome.

You put the Derka jinx on him. 

Blue Jays phenom Vladimir Guerrero Jr. left Wednesday's game against the Akron RubberDucks with an apparent injury, according to reports.

The Blue Jays' No. 1 prospect, and the No. 2 overall prospect according to MLB Pipeline, was seen running gingerly to first base after reaching with an infield single.

Baseball Toronto's Keegan Matheson also reported he signaled to the dugout after looking uncomfortable on the basepaths. He was replaced by Gunnar Heidt at third base as he exited the game.

Guerrero has dominated Double-A this season. He entered Wednesday's game batting .401 with 11 home runs and 55 RBIs for the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. He also posted a .453 on-base percentage in 52 games.

3 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Blue Jays phenom Vladimir Guerrero Jr. left Wednesday's game against the Akron RubberDucks with an apparent injury, according to reports.

The Blue Jays' No. 1 prospect, and the No. 2 overall prospect according to MLB Pipeline, was seen running gingerly to first base after reaching with an infield single.

Baseball Toronto's Keegan Matheson also reported he signaled to the dugout after looking uncomfortable on the basepaths. He was replaced by Gunnar Heidt at third base as he exited the game.

Guerrero has dominated Double-A this season. He entered Wednesday's game batting .401 with 11 home runs and 55 RBIs for the New Hampshire Fisher Cats. He also posted a .453 on-base percentage in 52 games.

I find it hard to believe how few times that has actually occurred in MLB history.

It really is remarkable
91 times according to Wikipedia.

There are 17-18 chances in a single game or ~43,500 chances a year.

That said, it’s on the rise, not-surprisingly. A record 8 immaculate innings last year. 2 so far this year.

24 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

It really is remarkable
91 times according to Wikipedia.

There are 17-18 chances in a single game or ~43,500 chances a year.

That said, it’s on the rise, not-surprisingly. A record 8 immaculate innings last year. 2 so far this year.

Only like five guys have done it twice -- Scherzer, Nolan Ryan (only to do it in both the AL and NL), Sandy Koufax, Lefty Grove and Randy Johnson.  That's pretty fucking heady company.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I think I could have guessed everyone on that list except Lefty Grove.  He used to lead the league in strikeouts every year in his prime, but it was at about a 6K/9IP rate. 

Grove's numbers are incredible considering the high-octane offense in that era. He won the MVP in 1931 with a 2.06 ERA (lgAVG was 4.38). In 1936, his ERA was 2.81 (lgAVG was 5.04). An honest case could be made that Grove is the greatest pitcher MLB has ever seen.

Edited by C-Man

I'd like too see a wide shot of the infield of that play.  The way the catcher and pitcher were headed for third, I wonder if Bryant could have kept going home. The first baseman may have gone to cover the plate though.

• Like 1