2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

Sidenote: the Aledo dynasty is more annoying than the LT/SLC/Katy ones were put together. 

same concepts across the board.  Throw in Allen for good measure.  You watch those teams and it's factory football.  You knopw every kid has a personal trainer, got to attend multiple camps, and even during the games some of them just drone through their assignments.  It's fucking boring sometimes.

There's a couple of reasons I like the smaller schools better.  This is a big one.

Edited by slorch

54 minutes ago, slorch said:

same concepts across the board.  Throw in Allen for good measure.  You watch those teams and it's factory football.  You knopw every kid has a personal trainer, got to attend multiple camps, and even during the games some of them just drone through their assignments.  It's fucking boring sometimes.

There's a couple of reasons I like the smaller schools better.  This is a big one.

Looking how dominant some of the smaller schools are,  it looks like there is some of that going down there also.  

Check out that video posted here on Surly about Gunter's facilities,  not many small towns have anything like that.  

Edited by Laga4

3 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Looking how dominant some of the smaller schools are,  it looks like there is some of that going down there also.  

Recruiting to Falls City or Mart?  Windthorst?  Canadian?   LOL  Have you ever lived in those towns?  You have to WANT to be there.

It's not about the dominance of a program, it's about the number of players in a given program who have fucking zero connection to the town/ school until 8th/ 9th grade.  Yeah transfers happen naturally, of course.  That's not what I am describing.

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

Out of curiosity, why?

I mean the same reason it’s boring to watch a printer press. They’re just a machine. All the reasons slorch outlined above. One of the biggest schools in their class, their players have advantages players at most other schools can’t afford or don’t have access to (not saying that as a knock, it’s just reality), but most of all it’s probably the “recruiting”. I don’t think they actively go out and pursue that many kids anymore, but their success definitely gets lots of families moving out there for sports. That does happen at lots of schools in fairness.

• Like 1

The talent gap between these two teams is obvious.  It would have been interesting if Smithson Valley would have gotten any of those calls they should have, but eventually probably the talent would take over and win out.

Wife teaches at SVMS and it was about this point in the game where she asked if there was something else better on TV, like a Christmas movie that we’ve both seen 50+ times.

Hook’em!!!

19 minutes ago, MontereyMXmuthafucka said:

where is the video?

Sorry,  I have to admit I found it on Hornfans not Surly.  

If you have nerve enough to go over there it's in the On the field forum in the Texas HS Football thread.  Twitter seems to be gacked up but I believe it's one of the tweets on the last page of thread.  If you know how to post it over here that would be good,  pretty impressive video.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

All the premier matchups today. I think Duncanville-NS will be the only blowout. SOC-PNG should be close, and Desoto game will be close only due to the Mathis effect.

I think you may be overrating Duncanville and underrating DeSoto.

DeSoto beat Duncanville by two touchdowns in the regular season.

Also, how far has the golden triangle come …. one of the area’s flagship programs has a starting rb with an asian last name 
wow 

We’ve had a thriving Vietnamese presence in Mid and South Jefferson County since the ‘70’s.

Ideal area for post war relocation efforts due to rice farming and shrimping….and more recently, combining those elements…crawfish farming.

Now…back to football
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

10 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Aledo’s dynasty ends the moment they get bumped up to 6A. They were just 8 kids below the cutoff line for the upcoming cycle.

Meh.   Lake Travis, Austin Westlake and Southlake didn’t suddenly go into has been status when they moved up.  In fact I think LT played for a 6A title not soon after moving up, maybe the very following season?

• Like 1