Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

I know there had been some hope that we'd get back involved with Liam McNeely, sounds like we're not really in the mix

“Kansas, UConn, Kentucky, Houston, Michigan … and a few I’m sure I’m missing,” McNeeley said when asked which programs are involved in his second recruitment. “Those are the ones at the top of my mind."

https://sports.yahoo.com/dukes-cooper-flagg-rutgers-ace-bailey-lead-8-players-who-impressed-during-mcdonalds-all-american-practices-142553957.html?guccounter=1

33 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

That sucks. Kids just can't be patient 

I think it was more than that with Johnson. 

Gerry mentioned several times that Johnson wasn't attending class and that's about the time he stopped getting any playing time. Sounds like there are off the court issues with this one. 

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think it was more than that with Johnson. 

Gerry mentioned several times that Johnson wasn't attending class and that's about the time he stopped getting any playing time. Sounds like there are off the court issues with this one. 

Well then. I guess he doesn't understand the meaning of student athlete. Kid gonna find himself out of basketball completely if he continues on that path. 

I was really hoping he would contribute next season, but it is what it is. We got Tre Johnson and that South Carolina player of the year coming in. It sucks we won't have Cunningham anymore. I guess Weaver cna make a jump, and I guess Pryor? We're getting low on contributors. We know Mitchell and Hunter aren't returning. Damn. (About Mitchell, not Hunter). 

Ok so tre Johnson is absolutely filthy. His 3 point shot, or just shot is so pure. He was almost perfect from 3. He’s going to be a player. Sure hope we can put something solid around him, the class is supposed to be good outside of him. Was dang good to see a longhorn play well in the McDonald’s game again. Not kd level but he will be a great player. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Well then. I guess he doesn't understand the meaning of student athlete. Kid gonna find himself out of basketball completely if he continues on that path. 

I was really hoping he would contribute next season, but it is what it is. We got Tre Johnson and that South Carolina player of the year coming in. It sucks we won't have Cunningham anymore. I guess Weaver cna make a jump, and I guess Pryor? We're getting low on contributors. We know Mitchell and Hunter aren't returning. Damn. (About Mitchell, not Hunter). 

Good too see the end of Cunningham’s, Mitchell’s, and Hunter’s time in the program. 

(Praise Jesus! He is Risen!)

Brock provided grit, but he was just slurping up minutes that younger guys could have benefited from. 

Put him on the staff as a grad assistant and let him bully players in practice to teach them the finer details of the dark arts, but his time is up.

Dillon Mitchell has not improved, but maybe he isn’t able to. 

Don’t know what is wrong with Hunter, but his move to Austin was not good for his basketball. 🏀 

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Good too see the end of Cunningham’s, Mitchell’s, and Hunter’s time in the program. 

(Praise Jesus! He is Risen!)

Brock provided grit, but he was just slurping up minutes that younger guys could have benefited from. 

Put him on the staff as a grad assistant and let him bully players in practice to teach them the finer details of the dark arts, but his time is up.

Dillon Mitchell has not improved, but maybe he isn’t able to. 

Don’t know what is wrong with Hunter, but his move to Austin was not good for his basketball. 🏀 

I'd be okay with both Mitchell and Hunter on the roster next year if they chose to return.  That said, they are definitely role players who need to be off the court when they are not meeting expectations.  Mitchell is good defender and rebounder, but he simply can't keep a defense honest if he's not under the basket.  Hunter is a short two guard who can  defend and cover the point for short spurts when he's not having one of his WTF nights.  He's kind of what RT wanted Horton to be this year.  When he's asked to be an offensive focal point of primary ball handler he folds more oft than not.  Both would be fine on the team next year with short leashes when they disappear on the court.

1 hour ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Can't make a catch if you don't cast a line. Sometimes you gotta throw a few lines in the water to make sure you eat.

Ya that's not really the point. Undersized shooting guard is a dogshit player archetype and it's also the the only position we have actual depth unless we're trying to Chris Johnson Cam Scott in which case expect him to portal out this time next year.

I wish the NIL was completely and totally transparent.  In essence where everyone can see what everybody gets paid.  Then both the kids and the schools know what's up.

Now saying that, you know it's gonna show that the big schools have the big money.  But it will also show how coaches and teams do more with less expenditures, and show who some of the really, really good coaches are with "low payrolls."  I also think it will show how grossly over bid some NIL dollars some schools paid some non-contributors.  But it will never happen that way.  But my curiosity about return on the dollar is peaked when I see "so many lines in the water."

Is it like telling somebody you had 12 interviews, and sounding confident?  And then you later found out the jobs were all at fast food wages.  Changes your perspective on those lengthy lists of "offers."

Anyhow RT needs to fill some gaps, and while I know the hand wringing will continue, I am hoping like hell he can get us the pieces necessary in place sooner rather than later.  I sort of (not strongly) wish Mitchell would stay around. Same reason I said last year, is I think it would help his development. But he hasn't made the strides that I had hoped, but another year might show dividends for us at Texas?   Plus as a former coach I always like to try and keep as much continuity as possible if the talent is there.  So the transfer portal would give me anxiety every fucking year.

21 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Khalif Battle is somebody we should be all over, Big guard that can really score.

Gets downhill and to the FT line which is something we really struggled with last year. 

I am assuming all the Arkansas players hitting the portal are just planning to follow Muss to USC. 

Posted (edited)

I really hope RT can get us back to the sweet sixteen at the very least. He's a great recruiter, but I have my doubts he's a long-term answer for the program. My personal belief is he was a feel good story and they decided to sign him. Glad he got Tre Johnson, and maybe he can help RT in the SEC for his one season, and maybe Cam Scott can make some waves in year one and take over in year 2 before he bails. I know nothing about Nicolas Codie. But we are desperate for guys in the portal that can contribute immediately, or we may be back to the same shit in year 2. 

Not to mention we have Frank Haith to help with the recruiting and coaching, but I cannot take a loss to another no talent UCF-type team. RT has his work cut out for him. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

4 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I really hope RT can get us back to the sweet sixteen at the very least. He's a great recruiter, but I have my doubts he's a long-term answer for the program. My personal belief is he was a feel good story and they decided to sign him. Glad he got Tre Johnson, and maybe he can help RT in the SEC for his one season, and maybe Cam Scott can make some waves in year one and take over in year 2 before he bails. I know nothing about Nicolas Codie. But we are desperate for guys in the portal that can contribute immediately, or we may be back to the same shit in year 2. 

Not to mention we have Frank Haith to help with the recruiting and coaching, but I cannot take a loss to another no talent UCF-type team. RT has his work cut out for him. 

I have no faith in RT and it’s clear that the men’s programs in baseball and basketball are far and away behind their female counterparts. The mens baseball and basketball programs need to upgrade their coaching staffs. They went out and got the best for softball and women’s basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, utfan87 said:

I have no faith in RT and it’s clear that the men’s programs in baseball and basketball are far and away behind their female counterparts. The mens baseball and basketball programs need to upgrade their coaching staffs. They went out and got the best for softball and women’s basketball. 

CJ Vogel didn't want to get into details today, but he did say that something is coming for baseball, but I do agree we need a better coaching staff for baseball, too. We had the #3 recruiting class, and we're getting our asses beat in the Big XII, imagine what's coming up in the SEC. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

he did say that something is coming for baseball, but I do agree we need a better coaching staff for baseball, too. 

Could you clarify that?

edit n/m after re-reading, I think I get you now.

Edited by ATXbronco

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Does anyone have a summary of the transfer portal players who are considering us?

I feel like I've done a pretty good job of catching everyone we've contacted at the least, just put Spider on ignore since he spams all his thoughts everywhere and read 20 posts it's really not hard

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/carey-booth-2.html

Very weird shot profile, 6'10 dude who has 60% of his shots from 3 but is not a good 3 point shooter nor does he have an indicator like free throw percentage to even indicate he should be a good 3 point shooter. Interesting group of teams in on him though, obviously Colorado St is there due to daddy

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Teryor said:

I feel like I've done a pretty good job of catching everyone we've contacted at the least, just put Spider on ignore since he spams all his thoughts everywhere and read 20 posts it's really not hard

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/carey-booth-2.html

Very weird shot profile, 6'10 dude who has 60% of his shots from 3 but is not a good 3 point shooter nor does he have an indicator like free throw percentage to even indicate he should be a good 3 point shooter. Interesting group of teams in on him though, obviously Colorado St is there due to daddy

I'll be sure to revisit your love for RT when he manages to go 17-15 next season with 2 possible lottery picks on the roster. 

6 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

Could you clarify that?

edit n/m after re-reading, I think I get you now.

I’m still totally confused about this part:

17 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

We had the #3 recruiting class, and we're getting our asses beat in the Big XII

The only #3 ranked class I know of arrives next season and is subject to change due to the draft. Texas sat at #24 in enrolled rankings for this year’s freshman class. They were unranked in transfer rankings for the current season (pretty sure that was even before the lot of them either got hurt or gave up the sport altogether). Maybe I’m missing something?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SamMan said:

I’m still totally confused about this part:

The only #3 ranked class I know of arrives next season and is subject to change due to the draft. Texas sat at #24 in enrolled rankings for this year’s freshman class. They were unranked in transfer rankings for the current season (pretty sure that was even before the lot of them either got hurt or gave up the sport altogether). Maybe I’m missing something?

No, you're more right than I am. You're right about the #3 class arriving next season, I just looked, so that's my bad. It's just astounding at how below average we are. I just don't think Pierce is the answer, especially moving into the SEC where baseball is on another level. I don't know, I'm just ranting, so my apologies. 

7 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I read an article yesterday regarding academics in the SEC, and yeah, it's bas. We came in at number 3 behind Florida and Vandy, and the rest were woof. They make Blinn look like Stanford.

The SEC has more quality schools than the Big 12. With Texas, the conference will have at least four Tier 1 schools (if you include Aggy), which is not that bad. 

11 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

The SEC has more quality schools than the Big 12. With Texas, the conference will have at least four Tier 1 schools (if you include Aggy), which is not that bad. 

Definitely. Texas, Vandy, UF, Georgia (I'll exclude aggy since they're just a piece of that one last roll of toilet paper just in case you need it). 

37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wouldn’t this be his third school? Rumor is that KU laughed him out of the room bc he wanted $1m in NIL

Had heard the Kansas rumor as well but the only people that the rumor benefits are from the Kansas side so take it with a grain of salt. 3rd team thing is just what the sport is so you just have to ignore it really at this point.

55 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wouldn’t this be his third school? Rumor is that KU laughed him out of the room bc he wanted $1m in NIL

Third university after four high schools.  Maybe he only likes the beginning of things.

EYo6q0RWoAAXwgD.jpg.1b5cae7c165968855b400a0f740c633d.jpg