Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: A Clean Shave

texifornia

10 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Avila is not athletic enough to play PF in a power conference. There are going to be major questions even at the 5 defensively/boards due to athleticism. 

He can shoot extremely well so he will open up the floor on offense. On defense, he would get exposed against smaller guys who can shoot and drive and guys who are athletic rebounders. But, against guys like Garrison, he will expose them more than he will be exposed on defense - like how much could Garrison and guys like him who can't shoot and have limited offensive moves expose him - that will only happen if we try to play him as the sole big man. And at the end of games, there is no doubt that Avila could help us maintain leads. And he is half hispanic so @Helobious would be happy.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

So we got the third and fourth rated Indiana State players. Interesting.

Larry is the best player from that team. He's just not a scorer but there's a reason he led the team in minutes per game.

Avilla ended up at Saint Louis while Larry was recruited by Texas, Duke, Kansas, Baylor, etc. Avilla is a very unique player in that he's skilled but he's also built like pillsbury doughboy and he's slower than molasses. Avila's coach going to Saint Louis probably helped but I also bet a lot of P5 programs were very apprehensive due to athletic limitations. 

On 4/14/2024 at 10:40 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

It's also just a terrible fucking argument. 

Garrison, Avila, Mark, and Pope are all considered top transfers. None made the tournament this past season. I guess we shouldn't add any of these guys. 

damn Avila chooses someone besides Texas and you all have the same opinion I had from the beginning. His athleticism is going to seriously hinder his ability to play against p5 competition.   

5 hours ago, utfan87 said:

damn Avila chooses someone besides Texas and you all have the same opinion I had from the beginning. His athleticism is going to seriously hinder his ability to play against p5 competition.   

I don't know what your point is?  Your arguments were about Larry and Kent. The idea they are bad players simply because they didn't make the tournament is still stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know what your point is?  Your arguments were about Larry and Kent. The idea they are bad players simply because they didn't make the tournament is still stupid. 

Sounds like you are arguing about accountants for an insurance company vacancy.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Horns 247, on Pope.

image.thumb.png.22e03cad8b7b1c10b5e01ef36e8cd918.png

Ags are confident.

image.thumb.png.09a1860f70b1190a797cff8b97f83a3d.png

I’m going with A&M. It would be pretty much on brand for them to encourage a press conference with them beating us in a head to head. 

On 4/19/2024 at 9:48 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Avila reminds me a lot of Tanner Groves at OU a couple years ago. 

A guy that's really skilled and put up decent numbers at OU but got exposed athletically in a power conference. 

I was about to mention the very same guy. Groves and Avila are definitely more skilled than most BIg 12 and SEC bigs, but there's a risk of getting the destroyed on the boards for both of them. And with so much ball screen action in these leagues they either force their teams to play an inordinate amount of zone or risk getting killed on ball screen actions repeatedly throughout the game. That being said, they typically excel in tournaments and one off games because they're not scouted to death like they are in conference games.  Although he's much more athletic than both Groves and Avila, Grant Nelson struggled in a similar fashion this past season in the SEC. His rebounding #s were essentially cut in a half where he went from a DR% of 26.7% in 22-23 to 17.3% this past season in the Big 12. And much like I mentioned above about skilled bigs like these guys excelling in the tourney, Nelson was arguably Bama's best player as the importance of the tourney games increased. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Or risk getting killed on ball screen actions repeatedly throughout the game. 

This is the biggest issue with Avila. I don't know how he can defend on ball screen actions against better athletes. This is why Groves was almost unplayable at times at OU. 

Teams. at the P5 level, would put Avila in ball screen action until he proves that he's capable of defending it. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

28 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Is he really a big?

Well, he plays inside the paint and has a questionable outside shot but can handle the ball. Basically, he is the opposite of Robbie Avila. He is a PF not center at 6 7.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Well, he plays inside the paint and has a questionable outside shot but can handle the ball. Basically, he is the opposite of Robbie Avila. He is a PF not center at 6’7” *

*Bring on the ghosts of Locksley Collie and Guillermo “Panama” Myers!!

They were listed, LISTED at 6’7” and 6’8” respectively… and could not dunk standing still. And they were our “big guys inside”.

YIKES!

(I hate seeing ghosts.)

I would love for us to get Omier.  He is an very solid rebounder and overall player.  He isn't a great threat from outside, but 35% from 3 isn't bad. 

We could go "small" with 6'3 Julian Larry, 6'5 Tremon Mark, 6'6 Tre Johnson, 6'7 Jayson Kent and 6'8 Norchad Omier.  That is a lineup that would give teams a lot of trouble. All of those guys are very good defenders. Great rebounding, great scoring. 

That said I have no idea if we are even a possibility.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I would love for us to get Omier.  He is an very solid rebounder and overall player.  He isn't a great threat from outside, but 35% from 3 isn't bad. 

We could go "small" with 6'3 Julian Larry, 6'5 Tremon Mark, 6'6 Tre Johnson, 6'7 Jayson Kent and 6'8 Norchad Omier.  That is a lineup that would give teams a lot of trouble. All of those guys are very good defenders. Great rebounding, great scoring. 

That said I have no idea if we are even a possibility.

What type of team or style is Terry looking to create? Knowing that might make it easier to determine what players he should recruit. Havoc would work great with the lineup above.

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Was scared this was going to be the direction we'd go if we lost out on Pope, perfect fit for Beard

We had assumed this was potentially the flip that's been discussed from us dropping Scott

Huh. I wonder who it might be (if it wasn’t potentially Richmond and that changed). 

Edited by MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, Teryor said:

Was scared this was going to be the direction we'd go if we lost out on Pope, perfect fit for Beard

We had assumed this was potentially the flip that's been discussed from us dropping Scott

Someone on twitter said there was a disagreement on his role. There’s really no point recruiting the 20-60 range out of high school anymore. If they aren’t going to start day 1 you need someone with some patience. 

Hopefully we can bring in one of these forwards with actual scoring ability. I can't stomach another year of bullshit where we can do absolutely nothing but run down and brick a three on offense. Need some versatility. Absolutely must get at least one true center type though. Shedrick is injury prone and Onyema is one of the worst players to wear a Texas bball uni in a long time. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HateYouAndMyself said:

I can't stomach another year of bullshit where we can do absolutely nothing but run down and brick a three on offense. Need some versatility.

Stuck in the Shaka era? We finished 240th in the country in 3FGA/game, 99th in 3FG%.

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Stuck in the Shaka era? We finished 240th in the country in 3FGA/game, 99th in 3FG%.

Not talking about this past season. Talking about our current roster and what it needs to be more well rounded exactly so that we do NOT see a return to the cancer that was Shaka ball. Honestly with the size of these guards it may not really be an issue anyway. 

Edited by HateYouAndMyself

10 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

A careless turnover or bad 2-point attempt (with no offensive rebound) has become more our MO. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2