Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

46 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Early in the playoffs when Carter was getting on base every time he was coming up I joked that he'd be telling the other guys, "Why not just get on base every time....it's not that hard."

This is an actual quote from Carter about his approach at the plate. 

"The pitcher is trying to paint the black. Why do I want to swing at pitches he's going to get me out on?"

Just let the close pitches go by that are designed to get you out. Easy.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38674614/mlb-playoffs-2023-evan-carter-texas-rangers-alcs-breakout-star

That’s something zack greinke would say about hitting

2 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

I tweeted this a second ago and wanted to get y'alls thoughts here.  I'm just now watching Jung a lot.  Surprised by how weak his arm is.  Is this a thing or am I just getting some skewed view from a few bad throws or something?

I think your evaluation of Jung’s arm is weak..

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Living in Austin it’s an AIDS ridden Astros hole. 

It is now. But it was Rangers proud 12 years ago. Winning matters in transient cities such as this. The Horns and Cowboys are the only sticky teams. I see a lot of kids at my kid’s school in chiefs and Astros gear. Wonder why? Used to be Yankees and packers. Used to be a lot of Spurs gear. Horns and Boys are the only constant. 

edit: oh, there was a Saints period too!

Edited by Gucci_Suit
  • Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Back when I was a kid I was one of Jim Sundberg’s Junior Rangers (this was in the mid 70s). For like $20 you got a shirt, 2 free outfield tickets to like 5 games, and admission to Junior Rangers day. For the latter, all the kids would go down to old Arlington Stadium at like noon for a 7PM game.

They’d take us down to the field and split into position groups where a player would run through some basic tips for about 15 minutes. After that they’d throw you two (and only two) pitches and you’d run the bases after your second pitch. That part took forever, so all of the parents had some time to kill waiting for their kid’s turn.

My Dad was milling around during that time as Toby Harrah, the third baseman (my position) left the field. Dad, who idolized Ted Williams, told me he’d always wanted to ask Toby a question. His recollection of the conversation:

”Toby, I loved Ted Williams as a kid and he was the first manager you ever had in the majors. What was that like?”

”Well sir, early in spring training my rookie year I faced Bob Gibson and he made me look like an idiot. I came back to the dugout and there’s Ted, and he said ‘Son, if I were you I’d just hit that slider into the gap and take the double. He’s pretty good’. And I was thinkin’ ‘No shit motherfucker; if I could do that my goddamn wife wouldn’t be workin’ at fuckin’ Piggly Wiggly. I hated Ted.’”

Toby Harrah was my Dad’s favorite Ranger until the day he (Dad) died….

Great story. Toby and his wife used to be regulars at a place I used to work. Probably the second or 3rd time I waited on them I told him I looked up his baseball reference page and both he and his wife smiled real big. She excused herself to the restroom and he and I talked ball for a long time afterwards. After that they started requesting my section every time and Toby even brought me a game stamped World Series ball when he was coaching the Tigers in 2014. Great people

• Like 4

Reports are that Scherzer has about 70 pitches in him tonight. 
We need to close this out in Arlington. I don’t want any part of going back to Houston at 3-2. 

He threw a 60 pitch simulated game last week before Bochy would put him on the roster, so not sure how you could expect anything more out of him. We’ve got four starters in the wings for long relief so I like our chances.

But who knows? Maybe he goes all Curt “Bloody Sock” Schilling tonite.

Let’s Go Rangers!

28 minutes ago, TxTower said:

He threw a 60 pitch simulated game last week before Bochy would put him on the roster, so not sure how you could expect anything more out of him. We’ve got four starters in the wings for long relief so I like our chances.

But who knows? Maybe he goes all Curt “Bloody Sock” Schilling tonite.

Let’s Go Rangers!

One of his last pitches should be hitting Altuve in the nuts.  It is a small target I know.