Another balloon object shot down over Alaska

JesusSweatDuck

So an organization of ~2.0mm people (active/reserve/guard) has some under-performing elements?  Well, I for one, am...over-fucking-whelmed.  Either back the Troops or shut the fuck up.  This thing was as fucking textbook as your mom's first anal experience.  Shut the fuck up and sit down.  It uncovered and exposed so much beauty, your dad wept over the glory hole.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

So an organization of ~2.0mm people (active/reserve/guard) has some under-performing elements?  Well, I for one, am...over-fucking-whelmed.  Either back the Troops or shut the fuck up.  This thing was as fucking textbook as your mom's first anal experience.  Shut the fuck up and sit down.  It uncovered and exposed so much beauty, your dad wept over the glory hole.  

Jfc your shtick is getting old. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

Your brutally ace-attack suggests you knew from the get-go that it was mother's anus to which I referred?  Congrats, detective.  

Go outside and shoot at balloons, you fucking child.  Let us serious pro-military hawks take back over.  We'll call you when we need fodder.

Edited by YGIFS

10 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Knew exactly what the balloon’s capabilities were and knew exactly what information they acquired with the balloon- in real time.  The latest reports are “we don’t think they learned a whole lot” and that determination was made after the fact, not in real time.  

You will never hear the military say exactly what they believe the balloon was capable, nor will you ever hear the military say exactly what we were doing or were capable of.  Yes, they will release press statements and do press briefings, but you will not hear 100% of what is going on with that situation.

It's a fucking balloon.  They knew exactly where it was going, and could simply turn off certain signals in the path of the balloon if they desired to, but like I said, the military is probably worried a whole lot more about spies getting a house or business in a neighborhood near a military base and monitoring signals intel 24/7 (everybody has an impression that a lot of bases are in the middle of nowhere, but there are almost always communities very close by, outside of maybe some places in Nevada and Colorado).  And the signals themselves are not the issue, since we literally transmit those signals around the world.  That's why China and Russia (and the US) have ships that do nothing but float around soaking up those signals, as well as satellites and bases and aircraft.

if we are incapable of tremendous lapses in our national security then how did the balloon, multiple balloons get to our airspace?

You don't know that we had a lapse.  You just don't.  The military is not going to admit to a whole lot of what it's capable of because it doesn't want China/Russia knowing.  The balloons are not new either, they've been doing it for years (one or two even flew over/near Texas 2-3 years ago), this one just caught people's attention because it made it to social media.

And the US military would actually prefer that people think there were lapses in national security, because that makes Russia/China lax in what they do.

Could we pull that off with China or Russia?  I’m asking because I don’t know the answer but would guess that radar would pick it up.

Do we need to?  We have satellites that have them under constant surveillance, and China and Russia have a lot of countries around them that are friendly to the US - we are flying aircraft with far more advanced sensors up and down the coasts of Russia and China constantly.  China and Russia do not have the ability to easily fly sensor-ladden aircraft up and down American coasts.  The US has friendly bases within 50-100 miles of Russia, and an hour's flight time from China.

By the way, I hope and pray that whatever surveillance they are doing, we are doing 10 fold.  

If we are, you and they will never know it.

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Your brutally ace-attack suggests you knew from the get-go that it was mother's anus to which I referred?  Congrats, detective.  

Go outside and shoot at balloons, you fucking child.  Let us serious pro-military hawks take back over.  We'll call you when we need fodder.

Lol.  You are unhinged my friend.  I guess “your momma” and glory hole jokes count as well thought out rebuttal on Surly.  
Continue posturing as the angriest guy in the room and shouting down anyone who doesn’t agree with you.  Throw in some more jokes about mommas because it’s really convincing.  I now see it your way.  ‘Merica, love it for gtfo right?  

• Haha 1

Wait, are you saying "America, love it or get the fuck out!" or am I saying "America, love it or get the fuck out!" ???

I honestly can't remember which one I'm supposed to do with the "right?" part at the end.  Lemme know and I'll abide.  

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You will never hear the military say exactly what they believe the balloon was capable, nor will you ever hear the military say exactly what we were doing or were capable of.  Yes, they will release press statements and do press briefings, but you will not hear 100% of what is going on with that situation.

It's a fucking balloon.  They knew exactly where it was going, and could simply turn off certain signals in the path of the balloon if they desired to, but like I said, the military is probably worried a whole lot more about spies getting a house or business in a neighborhood near a military base and monitoring signals intel 24/7 (everybody has an impression that a lot of bases are in the middle of nowhere, but there are almost always communities very close by, outside of maybe some places in Nevada and Colorado).  And the signals themselves are not the issue, since we literally transmit those signals around the world.  That's why China and Russia (and the US) have ships that do nothing but float around soaking up those signals, as well as satellites and bases and aircraft.

You don't know that we had a lapse.  You just don't.  The military is not going to admit to a whole lot of what it's capable of because it doesn't want China/Russia knowing.  The balloons are not new either, they've been doing it for years (one or two even flew over/near Texas 2-3 years ago), this one just caught people's attention because it made it to social media.

And the US military would actually prefer that people think there were lapses in national security, because that makes Russia/China lax in what they do.

Do we need to?  We have satellites that have them under constant surveillance, and China and Russia have a lot of countries around them that are friendly to the US - we are flying aircraft with far more advanced sensors up and down the coasts of Russia and China constantly.  China and Russia do not have the ability to easily fly sensor-ladden aircraft up and down American coasts.  The US has friendly bases within 50-100 miles of Russia, and an hour's flight time from China.

If we are, you and they will never know it.

Thank you for your civil response.  I’m not sure I’m convinced completely but I know that some of my beliefs and yours will never be fully confirmed.  Your responses seem at least reasonable, thought provoking and don’t rely on infantile momma jokes so thank you for that.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Wait, are you saying "America, love it or get the fuck out!" or am I saying "America, love it or get the fuck out!" ???

I honestly can't remember which one I'm supposed to do with the "right?" part at the end.  Lemme know and I'll abide.  

You are a buffoon.  Get back on your meds.  

• Haha 1

AHB gave a very in depth analysis of the situation.  I gave a more cursory, layman review of the events.  Doesn't change the fact that you're a fucking moron looking for a political catfight on your mother's taint.  We're been reviewing this situation for months and you're still wanting it to be different because you fucking suck as a human.  It's not your fault, you're just the result of a stupid mother.  

You want to claim that the US Armed Forces fucked up and China is gonna kill us all.  When really, it's just you wanting somebody to do something about your tiny cock and failed marriage.  

Edited by YGIFS

More childish name calling.  You are quite the word Smith.  I think you might be lashing out at me because you think I represent the collection of people who disagree with you.  I am not.  Im expressing my own opinions.  Sorry if they don’t jive with yours.

you called my responses political.  Show me where I make any accusations about politics.  To be clear this could have happened under any president IMO.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Haha 1

You represent the collection of people who disagree with physics?  I think there might be a name for you fuckstick-flatearthers.  \

JFC-just tell us what you know about the balloon's impending horror on the U.S. that we don't know.  Open up your fucking mouth.  Say something of value for once in your life you fucking walking cumstain. 

Edited by YGIFS

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

You represent the collection of people who disagree with physics?  I think there might be a name for you fuckstick-flatearthers.  \

Where do you think I said something that disagrees with “physics?”  Don’t tell me what AHB said or what someone else said, show me what I said.  And show me where I professed to believe in flat earth.  

try not to be a child.  The foundation of your rebuttal should not include the word “cumstain” or a “your momma” joke or any childish insult.  I don’t think you can do it but I’m pulling for ya.  

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

speaking of pulling on me....tell your mom Happy Easter.  

I honestly have no idea what we're talking about any more.  It was a great day/week for our aviators and SIGINT personnel.  People that choose to believe otherwise are in their own fog.  We're all in our own struggle, I suppose.  I believe these gentlemen said it best: 

Lol. Just like I thought. Ya got nothing.  You are all insults and “your momma” jokes like a 10 year old but I ask you to show me where I said anything that justifies your response and you suddenly you’re tired of the discussion huh.  You don’t even know what I’m talking about huh?  

I honestly don't.  I think, and I'm likely wrong, that you feel that the Chinese balloon collected massive intel on our defense/nuclear capabilities and we didn't act soon enough to quash that signal gathering?  Is that about right?  feel free to reframe with specifics.  

I'll be happy to spring for some room service.  Some fish for you, and Lhorn, and uh..........uh......, Audrey?  Sure, sure, Audrey.

I was just blown away that seemingly normal people still believed this stupid shit after it became rather settled weeks ago.  I mean, I know psycho conspiracists felt this way still, but this poster appears to be like a regular, fuctioning adult.  Fuck, I dunno.  

I guess I'lll take him up on his invitation to meet at the end of Rainey Street tonight at 11:59p after a few drinks.  Seems totally reasonable to discuss world affairs. 

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I honestly don't.  I think, and I'm likely wrong, that you feel that the Chinese balloon collected massive intel on our defense/nuclear capabilities and we didn't act soon enough to quash that signal gathering?  Is that about right?  feel free to reframe with specifics.  

Lol. Quit lying.  You know I didn’t say that at all.  Prove me wrong.  Show me.

What I did say is earlier today:

“I’m certainly not saying they acquired vital information”

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

I don’t doubt it at all.  I never implied otherwise.  If you think so, show me where.
What I am suggesting is that while one portion of our military or most of our military might be completely on the ball, there might be other areas where we are stepping on our own dicks.  I missed most of the discussion about the balloon.  I’ve heard it suggested that we’re completely on top of the situation the whole time.  Knew exactly what the balloon’s capabilities were and knew exactly what information they acquired with the balloon- in real time.  The latest reports are “we don’t think they learned a whole lot” and that determination was made after the fact, not in real time.  
if we are incapable of tremendous lapses in our national security then how did the balloon, multiple balloons get to our airspace?  Could we pull that off with China or Russia?  I’m asking because I don’t know the answer but would guess that radar would pick it up.  If one were to say that ballon’s fly too high for radar to detect, then why are we surprised by this.   There are likely hundreds up there now.  
I’m certainly not saying they acquired vital information but I don’t think we need to make it easy for them by letting surveillance balloons traverse the entire country unimpeded. 

By the way, I hope and pray that whatever surveillance they are doing, we are doing 10 fold.  

Not putting words in your mouth.  Just seems like you're more doubtful outta spite.  But maybe just skeptical.  Totally fine.  Sorry about your moms.  Just surly banter.  I think it was a fine example of our capabilities, but totally reasonable to wonder given the nature of geopolitics.  Have a good Holy Week.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Not putting words in your mouth.  Just seems like you're more doubtful outta spite.  But maybe just skeptical.  Totally fine.  Sorry about your moms.  Just surly banter.  I think it was a fine example of our capabilities, but totally reasonable to wonder given the nature of geopolitics.  Have a good Holy Week.

Aww. Might just have to take you up on getting that room together now. 

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

Thank you for your civil response.  I’m not sure I’m convinced completely but I know that some of my beliefs and yours will never be fully confirmed.  Your responses seem at least reasonable, thought provoking and don’t rely on infantile momma jokes so thank you for that.  

I can say with some certainty that we are spying a lot and we just don't have to resort to fucking balloons.  Plane geeks are constantly tracking US intel gathering aircraft (manned and unmanned) flying up and down the coasts/borders of Russia as well as China, and those are just the US aircraft that have their transponders turned on. We fly plenty of stuff that is not being tracked, either by transponders or by radar.  Hell, the Air Force is already retiring some stuff from the 1990s, which means they have newer/better stuff available (or it will be soon) - the Global Hawks will be retiring by 2027 for instance.

I can also say with 100% certainty that the military is not going to be fully open about what they got out of the Chinese balloon, what it's doing it, etc., as well as what else is going on because they don't want the Chinese knowing what they know that the Chinese know that they kn....never mind, you get my point.

There was one back in 2019 that went around the world for instance, and crossed American territory a couple of times.  They knew it, they tracked it.  And if an official gets up there and feigns ignorance about not being able to track these balloons, and that same official has access to ground-based radars that can see small objects in orbit, I'm going to have to think they are fudging the truth a bit.

We track over 13,000 objects in orbit that are bigger than 4 inches.  I think they are able to see the balloon.

• Hook 'Em 2

Lol.  You are unhinged my friend.  I guess “your momma” and glory hole jokes count as well thought out rebuttal on Surly.  

Wait…..do they NOT count as well thought out rebuttal around here? Was there a memo I missed? I thought I was on all routing sheets for that sort of thing. Goddammit, some asshole probably forgot to put a cover sheet on his TPS report, and it sent the whole damned system sideways. Fuck.
  • Haha 1

I’m pretty impressed that Trump gets indicted today and the Chinese spy ballon thread turned into more of a shit show thread in the Daily Texan today.  Cloakroom did a good job of staying in the cave today.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait…..do they NOT count as well thought out rebuttal around here? Was there a memo I missed? I thought I was on all routing sheets for that sort of thing. Goddammit, some asshole probably forgot to put a cover sheet on his TPS report, and it sent the whole damned system sideways. Fuck.

I hope to never reach a point in my life where “your mom” jokes and old people farting in public are not funny. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 10 months later...

Oh god, LHorn should be along shortly to announce the impending Chinese nuclear assault on the United States.  You know that thing that always follows lost balloons?  

I thin there was a Nena song about this. 

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

That’s cute

Well I used Lost instead of Luft  in a bad play on words.  At least we know there won’t be 97 more of these. 

or so the Germans would have us believe.  

Edited by YGIFS

Honestly, at this point in the simulation...you could probably convince me that upstate New York's Joseph Smith moved himself and his tablets to Utah on behalf of an East Asian political party that wouldn't exist for another century to support subversive balloon animals and I'd gladly give you $9.95 a month.  

Anyone else ever heard the rumor that with the one in 2023 that we could pretty much read into where the ballon technology was sending it's information to and hence, we let it continue flying in order to piggyback into their systems?   I am grossly oversimplifyng what happened but did any else here about this?

• Hook 'Em 3

Well only a 4-star admiral told me that's precisely what we did.  It accidentally drifted where it shouldn't have (altitude/course-wise, supposed to be invisible to radar and sat. comms.).  So it was followed by aircraft which picked up all kinda cool shit from it.  Then for a show-of-force, it was destroyed at perhaps the highest altitude tactical missile detonation ever performed in aviation history.  He indicated that when your future enemy loses a recon resource and you can learn everything you can from it, so long as it's not dropping mustard gas on urban areas, and can they detonate in an unfathomably high altitude priorly unknown to traditional fighter jet engagements, that's what you do.  

But yeah, some folks on here read some shit on reddit and 4chan that said it learned all of our nuclear secrets and is going to come back to murder all of us in the name of the Chicoms.  It is remarkable some of you are this fucking stupid. 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well only a 4-star admiral told me that's precisely what we did.  It accidentally drifted where it shouldn't have (altitude/course-wise, supposed to be invisible to radar and sat. comms.).  So it was followed by aircraft which picked up all kinda cool shit from it.  Then for a show-of-force, it was destroyed at perhaps the highest altitude tactical missile detonation ever performed in aviation history.  He indicated that when your future enemy loses a recon resource and you can learn everything you can from it, so long as it's not dropping mustard gas on urban areas, and can they detonate in an unfathomably high altitude priorly unknown to traditional fighter jet engagements, that's what you do.  
But yeah, some folks on here read some shit on reddit and 4chan that said it learned all of our nuclear secrets and is going to come back to murder all of us in the name of the Chicoms.  It is remarkable some of you are this fucking stupid. 

Is it though?
  • Haha 2

Fair point.  When given a choice between aviator SIGINT commentary from Adm. Inman, Adm. McRaven, and Jane's.  I always opt to adhere to what Lhorn has to say on the matter instead.  If you can't trust learned folks like him, who can you trust?  

I mean, I get to listen and learn from flag and general officers but some people live down the block from a guy who heard something from a guy on his F-150 Oakley podcast.  I walk in their shadow...

Edited by YGIFS
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1