It couldn't happen here, until it does ...active shooter on MSU campus

Wally Fairway

So he lives in a really dangerous neighborhood where really violent, sketchy people approach him each day and ask if he is in the NFL?  so much so, he has to carry a firearm with him at all times?  I've lived and worked in some rough neighborhoods in South and West Chicago, whenever I saw a large, muscular man...my first thought was, "Hey, considering how crappy this area is...and how much money professional athletes and bodybuilders get paid, I bet that dude is in the League!"  

NFL players don't live in the kinda places where you need a gun on you to leave the house.  Even the practice squad guys.   

So I'm confused as to what access road Applebee's he lives near that he's gotta come heavy.  

• Haha 1

Houston?
kidding, not kidding?  Lol

It’s really not indicative or specific to any one area. It’s that I’ve seen enough of society to realize that an entirely too large portion of it places zero value on human life, has zero interest in resolving conflict in an adult manner, and has a predisposition to wildly overreacting to the most minor of inconveniences. Have you watched the news lately? It’s only Tuesday and I’ve read about a half dozen road rage shootings just this week in Texas. These people are fucking crazy.
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s really not indicative or specific to any one area. It’s that I’ve seen enough of society to realize that an entirely too large portion of it places zero value on human life, has zero interest in resolving conflict in an adult manner, and has a predisposition to wildly overreacting to the most minor of inconveniences. Have you watched the news lately? It’s only Tuesday and I’ve read about a half dozen road rage shootings just this week in Texas. These people are fucking crazy.

What is you carrying a gun going to do in a road rage shooting situation?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Houston?

kidding, not kidding?  Lol

It’s not crazy to carry in Houston. There are times where I feel vulnerable as fuck especially when I have kids and all that fucking gear to load up. The amount of crime right around 59 has been really crazy because it’s such a quick getaway to the freeway. 

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Jesus Christ dude I chose one of the more obvious examples of how nutty our society is. Which one of the many others do I need to substitute here to make you happy?

So nothing? Just trying to establish why you feel the need to be armed all the time. It's a seriously foreign concept to me. 

4 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

It’s not crazy to carry in Houston. There are times where I feel vulnerable as fuck especially when I have kids and all that fucking gear to load up. The amount of crime right around 59 has been really crazy because it’s such a quick getaway to the freeway. 

You spend too much time on Nextdoor.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

You quoted the very post where I explained why. At this point you’re just being obtuse.

So road rage shootings necessitate your feeling that you need to be armed? Dude, you need to lay off the local news. That sensationalized crime reporting is rotting your brain.

5 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I sincerely hope you have a great night.

You, too. I feel bad for people that are so scared to live in society. It must be a really stressful way to go through life.

Edited by royiv
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

... an entirely too large portion of it places zero value on human life, has zero interest in resolving conflict in an adult manner, and has a predisposition to wildly overreacting to the most minor of inconveniences. Have you watched the news lately? It’s only Tuesday and I’ve read about a half dozen road rage shootings just this week in Texas. These people are fucking crazy.

i mean you're the one packing heat at HEB but okay 😜

Edited by mchookem
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

4 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

I don’t have nextdoor. Crime in this city isn’t great. 

Meh, it's actually decreasing after the COVID crime bump. Being armed isn't really going to put a dent in petty property crime unless you catch the thief red-handed. And, even then as much as I hate thieves, I question if deadly force is worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

Meh, it's actually decreasing after the COVID crime bump. Being armed isn't really going to put a dent in petty property crime unless you catch the thief red-handed. And, even then as much as I hate thieves, I question if deadly force is worth it.

I don’t do it to try to put a dent in petty theft. I would never step in to stop a petty theft or any thief for that matter. I’m not some fucking victim that’s complaining about being a target, but I don’t plan on being one either. It’s cheap insurance and it’s legal. 

12 minutes ago, royiv said:

You, too. I feel bad for people that are so scared to live in society. It must be a really stressful way to go through life.

Umm…Like 95% of these posters that have a better chance of hitting the powerball than being a victim of a mass shooting?   Satire? 

Edited by fattyflattie

28 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

1 minute ago, Da Fino said:

I’m not some fucking victim that’s complaining about being a target, but I don’t plan on being one either.

Okay.

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Umm…Like 95% of these posters that have a better chance of hitting the powerball than being a victim of a mass shooting?   Satire? 

I'm not scared of being a victim of a mass shooting. As you mention, it's not a high risk statistically, as is the risk of being a victim of violent crime which is the reason I think it's asinine for people going about their daily business to be armed. How often does the good guy with a gun stop a mass shooting or other violent crime?

Just because mass shootings aren't a huge risk statistically speaking doesn't mean that it's okay to pass out assault weapons like candy. We should strive to be better as a society so that we don't have children in active shooter drills.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

I'm not scared of being a victim of a mass shooting. As you mention, it's not a high risk statistically, as is the risk of being a victim of violent crime which is the reason I think it's asinine for people going about their daily business to be armed. How often does the good guy with a gun stop a mass shooting or other violent crime?

Just because mass shootings aren't a huge risk statistically speaking doesn't mean that it's okay to pass out assault weapons like candy. We should strive to be better as a society so that we don't have children in active shooter drills.

You understand nearly all the “mass shootings” in these statistics aren’t committed with “assault weapons”, or no? 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, fattyflattie said:

You understand nearly all those “mass shootings” in these statistics aren’t committed with “assault weapons”, or no? 

Some are, particularly the mass shootings with a big body count. Let's get rid of the assault weapons as a first step. Then let's tackle things like safe storage, closing the private sale loophole, gun registry and red flag laws.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Some are, particularly the mass shootings with a big body count. Let's get rid of the assault weapons as a first step. Then let's tackle things like safe storage, closing the private sale loophole, gun registry and red flag laws.

Nah. Let’s actually enforce our existing laws and see if that makes a difference.  And actually take crimes committed with firearms seriously, and not just a chance for a political plea down. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Can we trade for over the counter suppressors and over the counter pre-ban mp5’s?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Nah. Let’s actually enforce our existing laws and see if that makes a difference.  And actually take crimes committed with firearms seriously, and not just a chance for a political plea down. 

You keep doing you. I'm not going to continue to engage with you. It's a pointless exercise.

• Drool 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Existing laws that limit gun ownership are unconstitutional. That's now the law. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Tell me about pistol braces and the last 30 days.  I want to know about right now, not some guess about what it looks like 10 years from now. 

If someone decides to challenge any such law in court, unconstitutional. 

Edited by Dahobbs

39 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If someone decides to challenge any such law in court, unconstitutional. 

You don’t find it disingenuous to spout how we are in a gun free for all when there was literally a massive restriction just placed weeks ago? A restriction that affected hundreds of thousands of arms/owners? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Have you watched the news lately? It’s only Tuesday and I’ve read about a half dozen road rage shootings just this week in Texas. These people are fucking crazy.

So….. the solution is give more angry people easier access to guns because more road rage shootings?

5E7DCAA0-95D7-453F-926E-66084F10EB5D.gif.ada11528245896f7e2552709327e9061.gif

7 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You don’t find it disingenuous to spout how we are in a gun free for all when there was literally a massive restriction just placed weeks ago? A restriction that affected hundreds of thousands of arms/owners? 

Didn’t the last guy try to take away braces and bump stocks? I can’t keep up with this shit. 

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You don't find it disingenuous to say we just need to enforce the laws we have when the laws we have are being overturned as quickly as the court system will allow based upon a radical reinterpretation of the 2nd amendment by the Supreme Court last summer? 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have never felt the need (let alone desire) to own one. And if any of y’all follow the photo thread, I am the sketchiest hoods in the large cities of this country.

I honestly think part of it is men, mostly right wing men, think that compassion and empathy are character flaws. That they are weaknesses.

Do you

It’s like all the news reports about the new ultra high security measures put in place at Uvalde schools. That’s cool and all, but what are the chances there’s two whack jobs in a town that size? The chance of a second school shooting is minuscule. Of course the fact that all the LEO’s in that area are straight up pussies may bring in some outside creeps.

4 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

It’s like all the news reports about the new ultra high security measures put in place at Uvalde schools. That’s cool and all, but what are the chances there’s two whack jobs in a town that size? The chance of a second school shooting is minuscule. Of course the fact that all the LEO’s in that area are straight up pussies may bring in some outside creeps.

I get what you're saying, but it kind of missing the point of the reason for needing ultra high security measures. Imagine living in a society where those measures aren't needed and we could use those funds for educating children.