Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Comment from that auction.

Frost  8,429

@West_Coaster
The Shelby GT500 Mustang that cost $4,800 with options in 1968 would cost only $35,500 in 2019 dollars. The price of the 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang with options will be $70,000.
So yes, life was good in 1968…

Edited by Anastasis

• 2 weeks later...

Big Milestone.  My car turned 50 and I drove it for the first time in 7 years after completely rebuilding the steering, suspension, brakes and fixing a lot of safety and cosmetic issues.  Still need to get an alignment.

Driving it I got a loud squeaking noise and found the original 14" wheels were rubbing the new Disk brake hard lines on the calipers.  I'm going to need to move up the purchase of 15" Magnum 500s.

20190121_164600_zpsnrzfayee.jpg

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 8

After 5 months of waiting my gearbox and power steering pump have been reworked. Finding a hemi powersteering pulley was a task but internet wins again. Had the metering valve in the steering box redone to drive more like a modern car.

Plan on throwing it in this wknd. Dash rebuild should be back from instrument specialities next month...9 months later. Pretty excited about that. a22d2cfc853d129514e39bb955688969.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 7:52 PM, BurntEyes said:

I've come to a conclusion on the "older" as it is perhaps debatable as a classic, vehicle I want to purchase.

It's illogical, largely useless and mostly just silly, which I think fits.

1993 Chevy 454SS truck. I've pined for it for over 20 years. 1993 so I get the 4:11 rear.

It's a poor choice. I've got other stuff to buy first, but it's going on the list.

It will have a compression installed.. because I'm fucked up like that...

dude , the 88-98 chevy truck imho is the prettiest truck body ever made . an ss done right would be awesome . i'm  also a ford guy 

dude , the 88-98 chevy truck imho is the prettiest truck body ever made . an ss done right would be awesome . i'm  also a ford guy 

I agree with you for the most part. Late 40s and early 50s Chevys are the best looking trucks out there.

My daily is a 1997 Z71 that I refuse to get rid of because I like the way it looks.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:55 PM, Mother mopar said:

After 5 months of waiting my gearbox and power steering pump have been reworked. Finding a hemi powersteering pulley was a task but internet wins again. Had the metering valve in the steering box redone to drive more like a modern car.

Wow, 5 months. They look good.   Did you feel like a kid at Christmas when they came back?   Well I do right now, just got all my power steering parts back from the rebuilder.  I even ripped open the boxes to get at them.   Happy days.

47250733721_da6b5fef96_z.jpg

40285783343_0a35b3e1ce_z.jpg

47198765502_91b0c0cba2_z.jpg

32308640117_85df5df14c_z.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

It's always a good feel getting car parts back. Sadly it was short lived as the geometry didn't work. Waiting on a new pump with correct pulley. Then I'll ship mine back. 

How did that happen, didn't you have the original rebuilt?

Also is orange the go to Mopar block color, like Ford's blue?

How did that happen, didn't you have the original rebuilt?
Also is orange the go to Mopar block color, like Ford's blue?
So the PS set up I asked for was for a 1969 hemi as my car is a 69 superbee but the hemi in my car is a 1967 block, so the pulleys are different. I didnt know that, as I didnt have the orginal parts to begin with. I bought the car as a shell so I'm learning as I go.

440/383 cars are much easier and cheaper. Lot of crap is 426 hemi specific and I never knew that before I decided to pursue building a elephant powered car.

Any of you all using Grundy for insurance?  I got quotes from American Collectors, Hagerty and Grundy and Grundy had better default coverage and a lower premium.  Just want to know what you guys think before I mail the check.

I use State Farm for my firebird. They do the same stated value type that hagerty does. Plus, since I have an umbrella with SF, it would have gone up if I’d added a different carrier to the mix. BS on SFs part I know but at least I only have one group to deal with. Plus I like my agent.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I use State Farm for my firebird. They do the same stated value type that hagerty does. Plus, since I have an umbrella with SF, it would have gone up if I’d added a different carrier to the mix. BS on SFs part I know but at least I only have one group to deal with. Plus I like my agent.

Umbrellas are your friend my friend......

Alignment and tune up.  Drives great now.

I recommend RS Automotive in Liberty Hill.  He likes working on old cars and has several old Mercury race cars.  Said he enjoys working on carburetors, points ignition, etc.

20190316_115917_zpshf6mirif.jpg

The drive up was a little scary.  I had done a shade tree alignment but didn't really torque down the Lower control arms well enough and the passenger side camber cam slipped when I hit a pothole.  I thought I was going to go in the ditch.  Drive home was so much fun.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:

Got a lead on a 1969 Coronet convertible, 383, automatic car, partially restored. Numbers matching drive train. Best part is, it's a triple black car, black top, black gut, in gloss black body. That's one of my bucket list cars but don't have that kinda of coin right now.

Was going to say that the coin on that is going to be huge. Any idea if it left the factory as triple black..