Classic Car thread

TexasEd

12 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Thanks, aside from CL, eBay, etc where is best to look? I’d like a driver does not have to be perfect but I’d like something I can use not a project that sits in the garage.

www.cars-on-line.com

Get on their mailing list so you get the new listings and the price drops on Fridays before they hit the big page.

Edited by Limp Brisket
  • Like 1

Depending on the type of mopar you want A, B or E body there are dedicated sites for each one. I love forbbodiesonly.com as they cover everything. Im a member there and a few other sites, like moparts.com. Moparts seems to have higher end cars and their asking prices reflect that. There is a dedicated sub forum for craigslist, which guys post cars they find for sale.

Ebay is nice but I agree alot of eyes so the bargains just are prevelant. I've had good luck just talking to guys at parts houses, body shops etc, people know people who know where cars are at or hiding. Hope you find one you get to to with. If you need help with finding parts PM and I can direct you to some websites.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2019 at 1:31 AM, Lhorn said:

I think you're right.  That dash mounted tach looks aftermarket.

They mounted it pretty high up, too. 

I think it might be distracting for many drivers who would tend to glance at it often, including times when they should be paying attention to the road instead. 

Not quite as classic as some of the beauties here, but still a classic none the less, and something I've been kind of looking for for a few years now, finally pulled the trigger. Wasn't set on a convertible, but it was a good deal.

07 GT, completely factory stock which I wanted. No huge titted women standing in front of it (FML), wife has a nice ass, but she wouldn't oblige, oh well.

IMG_20190112_142331627_HDR%257E2.jpg

• Like 5

I've come to a conclusion on the "older" as it is perhaps debatable as a classic, vehicle I want to purchase.
It's illogical, largely useless and mostly just silly, which I think fits.
1993 Chevy 454SS truck. I've pined for it for over 20 years. 1993 so I get the 4:11 rear.
It's a poor choice. I've got other stuff to buy first, but it's going on the list.
It will have a compression installed.. because I'm fucked up like that...

There used to be a guy that lived about 10 miles from me that had a solid black one. Damn good looking truck.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a25938392/inside-delorean-motor-company/

The speedometer climbs as we race down a straightaway in Humble, Texas. As the needle edges to 60, 70, then 80 miles per hour, the 36-year-old automobile rattles and the wind whistles through the windows. Finally the DeLorean zooms up to 88 miles per hour and we feel, just for a moment, like we've gone back to the future.

Then, a series of loud honks from the other side of the road, followed by animated waving, awaken us out of our speed spell. “We get that all the time," says DeLorean Motor Company CEO Stephen Wynne, sitting shotgun. “That doesn’t happen with any other car.”

Any body watch Barrett Jackson auction this wknd. Some strong cars that brought great money. I'm bias to Mopars but even the blue ovals and bow ties had some very nice iron cross the block.

I watched and went. It’s right around the corner from my house.

The story this year was the money the restomods brought.

8 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

I was just reading about restomods and the demographic that its suited for. My gut tells me there will always be puriest but people love the ability to drive 600HP across the country with ac and power steering.

Yes, i agree now everybody thinks their rusted out backyard "barn find" is worth $100k

well, some are.

screen-shot-2019-01-16-at-11-32-21-am-15

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/classic-cars/a25919131/81-car-french-1960s-barn-find-for-sale/

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I watched and went. It’s right around the corner from my house.

The story this year was the money the restomods brought.

They're gonna be the future for a while now I think. The un molested cars are gonna start bringing big bucks as well as their numbers dwindle.  

There's always outliers but majority folks pile of rust is just that. Not to dive too much into it but people have wide views of what warrants a barn find, survivor, restore etc. It makes the hobby worth it.

What I saw were a whole bunch of 200-300k restomods of cars normally you’d want to see as original - probably saw a dozen 50s and 60s Vettes cross in that price range. Going for significantly more than originals or factory restoreds. That’s what was new. I’d heard good restomods picking up speed lately but not like that.

I’m partial to what I would call the sleeper restomods for certain cars where the motor/trans/suspension/etc have been updated but the outside/inside are still stock. I’ve been in the market for a GTO for a while and have just watched prices increase steadily.

However, the big price increases are because the current cars are one off show car builds rather than a true restomod plus there are 100 televised car shows on the various channels now pushing the prices higher. Look at the 3 Kindig cars that sold, there is no way the sales price even touched the build cost on those cars. There was a Cuda from a different builder that went in the high 100’s that showed almost 10,000 build hours on the car. That’s not a restomod, that’s some kind of new word that is a quasi show car quasi restomod and looks to be a bad investment.

The  cars that go for big bucks aren't representative of the majority.   Even at Barret J.  The cars that don't make the TV version go for normal dollars from what I've heard people say who attend every year.

A good resotmod is a vintage shell with modern guts. I've been going that way with my mustang since I bought in in 06

28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The  cars that go for big bucks aren't representative of the majority.   Even at Barret J.  The cars that don't make the TV version go for normal dollars from what I've heard people say who attend every year.

A good resotmod is a vintage shell with modern guts. I've been going that way with my mustang since I bought in in 06

The first few days are just like the local car auction you can go to in most cities with a few nice classics mixed in. I’ve always wondered what the crowds are like for Tues/Wed. The second car up on Tuesday was a 94 Caprice Wagon that sold for $5,000. Who exactly is going to Barrett Jackson to haul that back to their lot?

The first few days are just like the local car auction you can go to in most cities with a few nice classics mixed in. I’ve always wondered what the crowds are like for Tues/Wed. The second car up on Tuesday was a 94 Caprice Wagon that sold for $5,000. Who exactly is going to Barrett Jackson to haul that back to their lot?

Lots of guys. I’ve been there all times during the week over the years. Different crowd of buyers early in the week vs late in the week.

Next step is weld in the DS floor pan.  Luckily this was the only part of the car that needed serious rust repair.

]39901784363_0958b5cf6a_z.jpg

This will be my first welding job.  Took a couple of classes and I still need a little practice, but hopefully it goes smooth.  I've already beaten the shit out of the replacement panel to fit the as is conditions.

351 Cleveland off the machine shop shortly.  Beyond the matching numbers I have something else to tell me the engine is original.   An original dizzy fused to the block.  I can't get it off no way no how.  Fingers cross they can get it off without serious damage.

46814447112_56e47a1737_z.jpg