Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We were sold by Gerry mostly that there would be massive staff continuity and the other one in danger of going was Reilly. 

Gerry says a lot of shit. I was never sold that Donewald was staying - it always felt like a fingers-crossed type deal to me. And like htown said Haith has a much better resume anyway. 

I've always been skeptical that Donewald would stay.  They did a good job of keeping it in house, but there was a power struggle in the immediate aftermath of Beard's suspension and the naming of Terry as interim.  Donewald felt like he should have been named interim and it took a while for he and Terry to sort out the leadership dynamic, even going to far to where each had their own whiteboards.  Obviously they figured out how to coexist well enough as the season went on.  Donewald came with Beard.  Despite all the sunshine from the 9.95ers, I was skeptical that Donewald would stay and work for a guy like Terry (unless he just really, really, really liked Austin for family reasons).  

Losing Donewald's ability to develop talent is a major blow, IMO

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, someguy said:

I've always been skeptical that Donewald would stay.  They did a good job of keeping it in house, but there was a power struggle in the immediate aftermath of Beard's suspension and the naming of Terry as interim.  Donewald felt like he should have been named interim and it took a while for he and Terry to sort out the leadership dynamic, even going to far to where each had their own whiteboards.  Obviously they figured out how to coexist well enough as the season went on.  Donewald came with Beard.  Despite all the sunshine from the 9.95ers, I was skeptical that Donewald would stay and work for a guy like Terry (unless he just really, really, really liked Austin for family reasons).  

Losing Donewald's ability to develop talent is a major blow, IMO

Not a total surprise. I'm sure Donewald feels like he was well-qualified to be the head guy.

It is a little interesting that the guy has never stayed in one place for more than a few years. I remember reading about a public power struggle he had with a team owner in China that led to him to him getting fired in the middle of a season in his first season with the team. This year was the first time he was an on-court assistant since 2008 (he was a special assistant to the head coach at Tech and his first year here), which I'm sure is different for a guy like him.

image.png.09faef3662e009a84ac139ce070251e3.png

Just now, CTC2 said:

Would you agree that the guy responsible for Disu’s improvement would be valuable?

Jfc.

I'm sure Donewald assisted in his development, but let's not act like Disu was some scrub before Donewald started working with him. It's amazing how the further away Disu got from a major knee injury, the more he looked like the guy who was really good at Vandy.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jfc.

I'm sure Donewald assisted in his development, but let's not act like Disu was some scrub before Donewald started working with him. It's amazing how the further away Disu got from a major knee injury, the more he looked like the guy who was really good at Vandy.

Is RT your brother in law or something?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CTC2 said:

Is RT your brother in law or something?

I love how this is the only comeback people seem to have when they are called out on stuff that doesn't make sense.

Not one time did I say Donewald wasn't valuable or not a great addition to this staff. But when people start making up stuff in their mind like he was solely responsible for Dylan Disu's improvement or responsible for the success of the entire team (which you said earlier), that is too far.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I love how this is the only comeback people seem to have when they are called out on stuff that doesn't make sense.

Not one time did I say Donewald wasn't valuable or not a great addition to this staff. But when people start making up stuff in their mind like he was solely responsible for Dylan Disu's improvement or responsible for the success of the entire team (which you said earlier), that is too far.

That’s not it. I’m just wondering why you are so convinced that RT is the right hill to die on?  Were you a Shaka fan?

Edited by CTC2

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

If Beard was still here, not one person would be criticizing him if Donewald left. Instead it would be “look how well Beard develops his assistants!!!”.

as has been repeated ad nauseam, one of the big selling points of hiring RT was that he was so unanimously popular among players and staff that pretty much everyone would be returning, including/specifically donewald. welp, Dillon has declared for the draft, Terio is wearing KU gear on social media, we've signed zero transfers, and now donewald, who helped us have a top 15 national offense and is credited with Disu's growth, and who we were told would stay on if RT was hired, i leaving. what's your all-too-predictable response? another angry hypothetical question about chris beard, once again making this board out to be some maniacal chris beard zealots and RT a martyr. you are the zealot here, and your posts are as lame as they are predictable.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

That’s not it. I’m just wondering why you are so convinced that RT is the right hill to die on?  Were you a Shaka fan?

I am not dying on any hill. I was a Shaka fan until he started being an idiot and losing and I'll be the same way with Rodney Terry. I don't tie my fandom to coaches.

27 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

as has been repeated ad nauseam, one of the big selling points of hiring RT was that he was so unanimously popular among players and staff that pretty much everyone would be returning, including/specifically donewald. welp, Dillon has declared for the draft, Terio is wearing KU gear on social media, we've signed zero transfers, and now donewald, who helped us have a top 15 national offense and is credited with Disu's growth, and who we were told would stay on if RT was hired, i leaving. what's your all-too-predictable response? another angry hypothetical question about chris beard, once again making this board out to be some maniacal chris beard zealots and RT a martyr. you are the zealot here, and your posts are as lame as they are predictable.

Stay Mad GIF

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jfc.

Excuse me that’s SEC LEADING REBOUNDER AT ONE TIME Dylan Disu to you 

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

image.png.09faef3662e009a84ac139ce070251e3.png

Holy Shit! Donewald is leaving!   (said 18 different fanbases over the last 28 years)

1)helped engineer the #15 offense in the country (#2 in big xii)

2)helped turn Disu from a non factor to our best player 

3)Rodney Terry's history running offense as a head coach is bad

but yeah, who cares? 🙄 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Jfc.

yeah that's not what happened. Disu was invisible for his entire first year at Texas, and then wasn't really much better through the first 24 games of this season. your claim that he simply got over his injury and naturally improved is totally false. 

through the first 24 games of this season:

2.8 FGM - 4.8 FGA, 6.7 pts, 3.4 reb, .238 3P%

the final 11 games: 

5.9 FGM - 9.3 FGA, 14.3 pts, 6.8 reb, .455 3P%

it doesn't take two full years to recover from an acl injury. whoever disu was before his injury, he was no longer that guy after it. donewald is the guy who is credited with working with him tirelessly to get him back to where he was pre-injury, and you're completely dismissing the work put in by Disu and his coaches, particularly Donewald, when you act like time simply healed dylan's knee and brought him back to the player he once was.

Edited by shadow_operative

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it doesn't take two full years to recover from an acl injury

As someone who has recovered from a major knee injury without even having to worry about playing basketball at a high level, I can confirm...

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

This is yet another lie.

Edited by Hookem2147

there's also a monumental difference in letting your top assistant go because he's earned it and you're going to be fine anyway, versus losing your top assistant during the transition year in what is your honestly unearned opportunity of a lifetime to coach at Texas, especially when we're losing players, commits, and potential transfers left and right. the two situations are not analogous. 

also gonna point out that it's the pro-RT crowd that continues to be the source of contention, incessantly bringing up chris beard and how the rest of us would surely be making excuses for him if he were still around. y'all don't want to discuss this topic earnestly, you want to start arguments. 

The mental gymnastics displayed by RT's water carriers on this board is a thing to see. Either there is some kind of kinship with RT, or some people just love to root for the underdog or the incumbent. There is no other way to explain it.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Thr mental gymnastics displayed by RT's water carriers on this board is a thing to see. Either there is some kind of kinship with RT, or some people just love to root for the underdog or the incumbent. There is no other way to explain it.

ive said the same thing. these people are taking everything so personally and are hypersensitive to any criticism of RT it's as if they are close friends or family members of his. it's that illogical and combative.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ive said the same thing. these people are taking everything so personally and are hypersensitive to any criticism of RT it's as if they are close friends or family members of his. it's that illogical and combative.

I think HookEm and HookEm2147 are the same person. I also wonder if they are NWG's sock accounts. 🤔

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Thr mental gymnastics displayed by RT's water carriers on this board is a thing to see. Either there is some kind of kinship with RT, or some people just love to root for the underdog or the incumbent. There is no other way to explain it.

It’s really hard to take you seriously on this subject and see you calling other people water carriers when you tried to justify your stance on the guy by saying that he “talks funny”.

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s really hard to take you seriously on this subject and see you calling other people water carriers when you tried to justify your stance on the guy by saying that he “talks funny”.

I have been right on everything and and you have been wrong. You may not have liked my comment and took it personally for perhaps the reasons I just mentioned in the above post, but that was a data point I used to come to my conclusion. He doesn't have charisma- something that helps you close. There are many reasons for not being able to close a deal but it takes just one charismatic salesperson to overcome everything. Without that person, all sales appear challenging and you would have many excuses.

I have seen you be the water carrier for other coaches before on other boards, if I am not mistaken. What's your deal? It's not a normal fan behavior. Do you work for our athletic department or know these coaches personally?

Edited by UTEE97
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Screenshot2023-04-20at12_02_14PM.thumb.png.51796727ca13dc38d48a780dfc387fbf.png

I have to imagine that "recruiting jocksniffer" has to be one of the easier and first jobs replaced by AI. End 80% of your meaningless BS with ..."things look promising" and the $9.95's keep rolling in every month. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

He doesn't have charisma- something that helps you close.

OK, that's a really odd take.  Rodney Terry CAN close.  He's been a good or better recruiter for a long time.  Whatever problems you have with his speaking voice or his charisma don't seem to be pervasive among young basketball players.

Can he build an elite program at a place like Texas?  That's the question.  Quite literally, nobody knows.  All we know is that he wasn't setting the world on fire against similar non-P5 programs as a head coach at two stops.  This is why many people had concerns, but this weird personal angle of yours is quite frankly offensive.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, that's a really odd take.  Rodney Terry CAN close.  He's been a good or better recruiter for a long time.

I don't think you can say that with certainty. Has he closed as the head man or closed under elite head coaches? Two different things. 

Also, charisma is rarely disputed. You can listen to someone and know this man has it. I never felt that way about RT.

Edited by UTEE97

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I have been right on everything and and you have been wrong.

Let me reiterate this again. You said the guy talked funny and legitimately asked if the players could understand him.

10 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I have seen you be the water carrier for other coaches before on other boards, if I am not mistaken. What's your deal? It's not a normal fan behavior. Do you work for our athletic department or know these coaches personally?

Lol. Yes, you caught me. Noted water carrier who hated Shaka Smart well before he was fired and believed Tom Herman shouldn’t have given a redo chance after the 2019 disaster.

I would much prefer that Rodney Terry  is successful here because I don’t know about you but I enjoy winning. If he sucks, I’ll be the first one in the coaching thread discussing a replacement. What does bother me though is to see you calling other people water carriers when you yourself are carrying water, just for the exact opposite side.

• Hook 'Em 2

The victory laps in April from people hoping that RT sucks just because it would prove them right are getting a little silly. I'd like to hear from Disu, Hunter and Abmas before I start piecing together what I think the 2024 team is going to look like. 

This guy coached us to an elite eight less than a month ago and it would have been a final four sans a couple untimely injuries. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Let me reiterate this again. You said the guy talked funny and legitimately asked if the players could understand him.

Lol. Yes, you caught me. Noted water carrier who hated Shaka Smart well before he was fired and believed Tom Herman shouldn’t have given a redo chance after the 2019 disaster.

I would much prefer that Rodney Terry  is successful here because I don’t know about you but I enjoy winning. If he sucks, I’ll be the first one in the coaching thread discussing a replacement. What does bother me though is to see you calling other people water carriers when you yourself are carrying water, just for the exact opposite side.

I don't care about Beard and am not emotionally tied to him. Was he a great fit at Texas? Absolutely! It doesn't mean I will never find any fault in him like you seem to feel about RT. I am on record saying Beard may not be the same coach going forward.

There were a ton of warning signs for RT that you refused to acknowledge for whatever absurd reason. He was not hired for his recruiting chops or coaching - it was because of the optics, and fans and media like you putting pressure on our athletics department.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Oh, I get it.  We all get it.

I don't think you and "all" do. You are trying to make it a CR issue but nothing is further from the truth. I am an entrepreneur who relies on excellent sales staff, so I have a good feel for when someone is a closer.

Edited by UTEE97

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't think you and "all" do. You are trying to make it a CR issue but nothing is further from the truth. I am an entrepreneur who relies on excellent sales staff, so I have a good feel for when someone is a closer.

LMAO.  OK, Elon.  You've spent a lot of time selling to elite teenaged athletes, have you?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't care about Beard and am not emotionally tied to him. Was he a great fit at Texas? Absolutely! It doesn't mean I will never find any fault in him like you seem to feel about RT. I am on record saying Beard may not be the same coach going forward.

There were a ton of warning signs for RT that you refused to acknowledge for whatever absurd reason. He was not hired for his recruiting chops or coaching - it was because of the optics, and fans and media like you putting pressure on our athletics department.

Ah yes, me, message board poster discussing outside coaching candidates as recently as 5 weeks ago, putting pressure on the athletic department.

This conversation is over man. I don’t know how your view is so distorted on this subject but it is. It is my fault that I chose to engage in this back and forth with someone who wholeheartedly believed that the players couldn’t understand someone who has been coaching basketball for the last 30 years.

Edited by Hookem2147

so far this offseason as a program we've lost:

•dillon mitchell

•aj johnson

•arterio morris

•rowan brumbaugh

•john reilly 

•bob donewald 

and we've added:

frank haith

i don't understand how someone gets labeled an RT hater or someone who wants him to fail simply for being less than gruntled about the start to his HC tenure here.

because that's the thing- there is no "anti-RT" crowd. everyone here likes him and wants him to succeed. however some of us are realistic about who his decades-long coaching career has shown him to be, while a smaller, louder minority have gone full-on RT zealot mode and are out for blood against anyone who doesn't just blindly nod along like we're out here kicking ass when in reality it's not actually going very well so far.

whatever you people say about me and rick barnes, your complex with RT is way, way more delusional and irrational and baseless than anything that i've said or felt about Barnes in a decade. at least Barnes has actual skins on the wall, and continues to add them on a regular basis. that y'all can't see how cult-like you're being about a guy who's never done anything of import as a HC, much less proven that he deserves a top 5 national job is interesting, to say the least. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Yeah, I am done with arguing with RT fan boys. Carry on. I just came here to say it seemed absurd. You all do you.

For a UT EE grad, an alleged entrepreneur who leads elite sales teams into corporate battle, you sure don't read very well.

I'm just glad your name isn't UTME87.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

For a UT EE grad, an alleged entrepreneur who leads elite sales teams into corporate battle, you sure don't read very well.

I'm just glad your name isn't UTME87.

What the hell are you talking about? Fyi, I am a minority and have an accent. I was not picking on RT because of that. You can be from any background and still have charisma. Not everything is CR!

Edited by UTEE97

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Ah yes, me, message board poster discussing outside coaching candidates as recently as 5 weeks ago, putting pressure on the athletic department.

This conversation is over man. I don’t know how your view is so distorted on this subject but it is. It is my fault that I chose to engage in this back and forth with someone who wholeheartedly believed that the players couldn’t understand someone who has been coaching basketball for the last 30 years.

It isn't just him. He has multiple people repping him too.

This is one of the more bizarre threads I've read on Surly. We have people grading RT on next season already in April after he just went further in the tourney than any coach has at Texas in 15 years. It's like no one knows how college basketball offseasons work. I didn't see anyone bagging on Chris Beard in April in 2021 because the roster wasn't finalized yet. 

RT just hung a couple numbers in the rafters - I think we can give him - I don't know, until the NBA draft?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Are you dense? I said fans like you, not message board posters. I also mentioned media and there were many other external pressure as well. You distort my words to make a stupid point, like what I said about how RT talks.