Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

57 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

For a UT EE grad, an alleged entrepreneur who leads elite sales teams into corporate battle, you sure don't read very well.

I'm just glad your name isn't UTME87.

I lead sales teams too.  While I may have my opinion I’m not gonna pretend I’m an expert on basketball coaching.  RT did enough to win the job.  Now he has to do enough to keep it

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It isn't just him. He has multiple people repping him too.

This is one of the more bizarre threads I've read on Surly. We have people grading RT on next season already in April after he just went further in the tourney than any coach has at Texas in 15 years. It's like no one knows how college basketball offseasons work. I didn't see anyone bagging on Chris Beard in April in 2021 because the roster wasn't finalized yet. 

RT just hung a couple numbers in the rafters - I think we can give him - I don't know, until the NBA draft?

He’s got till game three for me

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I lead sales teams too.  While I may have my opinion I’m not gonna pretend I’m an expert on basketball coaching.  RT did enough to win the job.  Now he has to do enough to keep it

You are in sales? Congrats! I am not. No, I am not Elon (nobody is) but I do well. However, that's not pertinent to any of this discussion. Don't quote me any more please. I am not interested in engaging with RT fans. I was just exchanging posts with Derka when I got pulled into this argument.

Edited by UTEE97
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Then quit posting in this thread you stupid annoying fuck. 

Fuck off idiot! You have an IQ of a teenager, yet you post all over these boards non stop like you have nothing to do all day. I have you on ignore. You should do the same.  

7 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I have you on ignore.

I'm not sure you understand how that works. 

Also I'm pretty sure IQ is age adjusted. UT EE might need to shore up their admissions standards. 

Edited by ztejas

21 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You are in sales? Congrats! I am not. No, I am not Elon (nobody is) but I do well but that's not the point of any of this discussion. Don't quote me any more please. I am not interested in engaging with RT fans. I was just exchanging posts with Derka when I got pulled into this argument.

You make it seem like being an RT fan is a bad thing. Yes, I root for him.  Which one are you in the picture again?  

Edited by closetohumping

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

this thread right now =

Kenya Moore Dancing GIF by Real housewives of Atlanta

then

evil real housewives GIF

then

real housewives kidding GIF

then

Real Housewives Of Orange County Discussion GIF

then

Real Housewives GIF

then

real housewives phone GIF by RealityTVGIFs

then

expect real housewives GIF

then

Real Housewives Nene GIF

then

Real Housewives Of Atlanta Nene GIF by Bravo TV

then

Real Housewives Drinking GIF

I disagree with you so I'm gonna neg bomb the fuck out of you!!! Now leave me alone you pro RT guy!!!  Yes, I know you're not one of us "pro RT" guys.  Just didn't know there was actually an anti-RT contingent.

18 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure you understand how that works. 

Also I'm pretty sure IQ is age adjusted. UT EE might need to shore up their admissions standards. 

Granted I don't live on message boards like you and am not very familiar with how the ignore function works. It seems to me even if I ignore you, you can still see my posts. Doesn't seem like there is a mutual ignore option, something that would be nice to have. I had you on ignore for messages and posts but not for mentions. I fixed the glitch.  

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

Granted I don't live on message boards like you and am not very familiar with how the ignore function works. It seems to me even if I ignore you, you can still see my posts. Doesn't seem like there is a mutual ignore option, something that would be nice to have. I had you on ignore for messages and posts but not for mentions. I fixed the glitch.  

Man these are gems. What do I need to say to get more of these? 

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

You don't really type with an accent.  Thank you.  

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

On a lighter note, tell me why we want the guy from ORU?  I’m not suggesting we don’t, I’m just saying I don’t know.  

Desperate times, desperate measures.  He's actually not that good....if we get him.  If we miss.....well I'm sure you know where to go with that.

2 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

On a lighter note, tell me why we want the guy from ORU?  I’m not suggesting we don’t, I’m just saying I don’t know.  

I’ve seen him play two games.  Both in the 2022 tournament.  He drained 3s like a mofo and dishes the ball like a wizard. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

because that's the thing- there is no "anti-RT" crowd. everyone here likes him and wants him to succeed.

Do you really think UTEE97 likes RT and wants him to succeed?  

I feel like I’m being labeled a RT fan, but I’m not.  I agree that his resume is not suitable to be the UT coach.  But that doesn’t matter now because he IS the coach.  I just feel like we should let the off-season play out before we judge him.  

It would be nice if we waited a few years to divide into the pro and anti RT factions and just focused on supporting UT hoops for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Do you really think UTEE97 likes RT and wants him to succeed?  

I feel like I’m being labeled a RT fan, but I’m not.  I agree that his resume is not suitable to be the UT coach.  But that doesn’t matter now because he IS the coach.  I just feel like we should let the off-season play out before we judge him.  

It would be nice if we waited a few years to divide into the pro and anti RT factions and just focused on supporting UT hoops for a while.

There are likely 50 better coaches.  The fact that I'm labeled "pro RT" or an "RT fan" is humorous.  Yes, I root for the guy.  I have no reason not to.  

As far as people actively rooting against RT?  IDK, there were quite a few I told you sos and people gloating when we lost AJ to the pros. 

Edited by closetohumping

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You don't really type with an accent.  Thank you.  

Desperate times, desperate measures.  He's actually not that good....if we get him.  If we miss.....well I'm sure you know where to go with that.

Well, we do have about 50 points a game that we need to replace so it kind of matters. 

Jesus, I hadn’t read this thread in a few days and it’s such a shit show. 

The first several weeks of the Terry regime have been terrible. That’s an objective fact, not an opinion. When people point that out, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are rooting for him to fail. And those of you making excuses for him or trying to downplay the bad news look naive and Aggie like. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

The first several weeks of the Terry regime have been terrible. That’s an objective fact, not an opinion. When people point that out, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are rooting for him to fail. And those of you making excuses for him or trying to downplay the bad news look naive and Aggie like. 

No, you can't point anything negative out until he has served his contract term. Obviously, Red McCombs was an idiot, racist or not a Texas fan because he didn't like the Strong hire. Nobody has ever pointed out Sark might be a bad coach. 🙄

Edited by UTEE97

This thread sucks. Jesus Christ. 

1 hour ago, CTC2 said:

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’ve seen him play two games.  Both in the 2022 tournament.  He drained 3s like a mofo and dishes the ball like a wizard. 

Does anyone here actually watch college basketball? None of you remember the sweet 16 run ORU went on a couple of years ago? Abmas was the star of the tournament.

Kevin Obanor became a decent player at Tech and he was clearly the 2nd best player on that ORU team behind Abmas.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Jesus, I hadn’t read this thread in a few days and it’s such a shit show.  The first several weeks of the Terry regime have been terrible. That’s an objective fact, not an opinion. When people point that out, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are rooting for him to fail. And those of you making excuses for him or trying to downplay the bad news look naive and Aggie like. 

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I disagree with you so I'm gonna neg bomb the fuck out of you!!! Now leave me alone you pro RT guy!!!  Yes, I know you're not one of us "pro RT" guys.  Just didn't know there was actually an anti-RT contingent.

Once again, you are making this up. It's not clear why you keep trying to make this stick. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

tyrese can really fly. very hopeful that he's a part of this team next year.

Wow.
I think he and Disu will both be back, although they don't have to sit out if they transfer because Beard left correct?

Wonder how his Jabari ball fake is coming? I would laugh my ass off if he started using it.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

OK, that's a really odd take.  Rodney Terry CAN close.  He's been a good or better recruiter for a long time.  Whatever problems you have with his speaking voice or his charisma don't seem to be pervasive among young basketball players.

Can he build an elite program at a place like Texas?  That's the question.  Quite literally, nobody knows.  All we know is that he wasn't setting the world on fire against similar non-P5 programs as a head coach at two stops.  This is why many people had concerns, but this weird personal angle of yours is quite frankly offensive.

He coached at the two of the worst non-P6 programs in the country.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I mean this is the same shitty hyperbole that has posted by the same 2-3 dipshits over and over again. He lost a coach and hired an upgrade; he lost some one and dones that most thought were leaving after 1 season at Texas. You guys are acting like the wheels are coming off the bus because they didn't get two portals, when a lot of non-Texas data points are saying Texas is getting the #1 portal guard. Shit, he's Abmas and Shedrick away from fucking hitting a home run. I think most people understand how the portal works and if the roster looks the same on May 10th, then the panic should set in, but not 2 weeks into this shit.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If there’s a pro RT contingent wouldn’t there be an anti RT contingent?   I’m readin “the pro Rt crowd” or the “RT fanboys”.  Yes I’m rooting for him.  

No. 

You can be concerned about the RT tenure based on his background and still actively root for his success at the same time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Pancho said:

No. 

You can be concerned about the RT tenure based on his background and still actively root for his success at the same time. 

And taking a wait and see approach doesn’t mean we’re all “fan boys.”  AJ Johnson’s grades were an issue and his alleged package was 750k.  I think Hunters NIL deal was 175?  How do we match that?  Mitchell going pro?  Not unexpected.  Morris, yea that’s a big hit

as for donewald, Rodney hired his replacement, a former head coach, before he’s even left. Meh. The guy has had 19 jobs.  Seems like a flighty guy and he was already salty about Rodney getting the job.  

I haven’t paid too much attention to the portal but have we truly lost anyone that we were leading with?

Again, I’m not the one that’s coming up with labels.  

Let’s wait till conference play before we stick a fork in him?  Though, I usually say you have to give them at least 2 years before making any declarations 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

He coached at the two of the worst non-P6 programs in the country.

. . . and he didn't make them much better.  Isn't that what an elite coach should do?

I feel like I have to qualify myself over and over, so here goes:  I am not anti-RT.  I am rooting for him.  I am (as always) rooting for the 'horns, whether they're led by Weltlich (oof), Penders, Barnes, Beard, or Terry.  UT is one of my alma maters.  I want Terry to succeed, and so far, his tournament run was really encouraging.

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

The victory laps in April from people hoping that RT sucks just because it would prove them right are getting a little silly. I'd like to hear from Disu, Hunter and Abmas before I start piecing together what I think the 2024 team is going to look like. 

This guy coached us to an elite eight less than a month ago and it would have been a final four sans a couple untimely injuries. 

It's pretty fucking amazing that 7 months before the season even starts we have these guys in here getting their panties in a bunch and spending their days arguing over hypotheticals.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and he didn't make them much better.  Isn't that what an elite coach should do?

I feel like I have to qualify myself over and over, so here goes:  I am not anti-RT.  I am rooting for him.  I am (as always) rooting for the 'horns, whether they're led by Weltlich (oof), Penders, Barnes, Beard, or Terry.  UT is one of my alma maters.  I want Terry to succeed, and so far, his tournament run was really encouraging.

Fresno State was like 10-20 when he arrived and 20-10 when he left after earning one of 3 tournament bids in the school's history.

You're trying real hard to twist facts if going from 10-20 to 20-10 and a tournament bid is "not making them much better."

8 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Fresno State was like 10-20 when he arrived and 20-10 when he left after earning one of 3 tournament bids in the school's history.

You're trying real hard to twist facts if going from 10-20 to 20-10 and a tournament bid is "not making them much better."

I'm not twisting anything.  His programs were not particularly competitive against their conference peers:

Fresno State:  7, 6, T5, 6, 2, 4, T4

UTEP: 14, 11, 5

Yes, he made them better.  I'd like to think an elite coach should be able to make "two of the worst non-P6 programs in the country" a whole lot better.  Maybe not.  Maybe the cultures were too toxic.  Regardless, it seems a lot is made of how bad those programs were without considering how bad their competition was.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not twisting anything.  His programs were not particularly competitive against their conference peers:

Fresno State:  7, 6, T5, 6, 2, 4, T4

UTEP: 14, 11, 5

Yes, he made them better.  I'd like to think an elite coach should be able to make "two of the worst non-P6 programs in the country" a whole lot better.  Maybe not.  Maybe the cultures were too toxic.  Regardless, it seems a lot is made of how bad those programs were without considering how bad their competition was.

Maybe he lacked the resources?  I don’t remember either program killing it in the last 30 years.  The numbers you posted showed improvement though?   

But at this point, we weren’t going to fire a guy that lead us to our best year in 15 years.  Throw out all the qualifiers you want, he did it.  So how about we show a bit of patience?  He was hired in late March.  It’s been a month.  

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

But at this point, we weren’t going to fire a guy that lead us to our best year in 15 years.  Throw out all the qualifiers you want, he did it.  So how about we show a bit of patience?  He was hired in late March.  It’s been a month.  

Do you think I'm being impatient?  I don't know how many ways I can say "I'm rooting for Rodney Terry to succeed".

16 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I have been right on everything and and you have been wrong. You may not have liked my comment and took it personally for perhaps the reasons I just mentioned in the above post, but that was a data point I used to come to my conclusion. He doesn't have charisma- something that helps you close. There are many reasons for not being able to close a deal but it takes just one charismatic salesperson to overcome everything. Without that person, all sales appear challenging and you would have many excuses.

I have seen you be the water carrier for other coaches before on other boards, if I am not mistaken. What's your deal? It's not a normal fan behavior. Do you work for our athletic department or know these coaches personally?

It’s been one month.  I don’t think anyone can claim to be right or wrong yet.  

also the players seem to get Rodney when he speaks.   They lean in.  

Edited by closetohumping

3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

And taking a wait and see approach doesn’t mean we’re all “fan boys.”  AJ Johnson’s grades were an issue and his alleged package was 750k.  I think Hunters NIL deal was 175?  How do we match that?  Mitchell going pro?  Not unexpected.  Morris, yea that’s a big hit

as for donewald, Rodney hired his replacement, a former head coach, before he’s even left. Meh. The guy has had 19 jobs.  Seems like a flighty guy and he was already salty about Rodney getting the job.  

I haven’t paid too much attention to the portal but have we truly lost anyone that we were leading with?

Again, I’m not the one that’s coming up with labels.  

Let’s wait till conference play before we stick a fork in him?  Though, I usually say you have to give them at least 2 years before making any declarations 

You aren’t taking a wait and see approach. You are getting defensive about everything, especially if folks don’t agree with you. You openly admitted you only wanted RT because people on message boards were talking shit about him getting the HC position and you felt bad, which is a terrible reason to want a coach. 

Now with Donewald, all of a sudden he’s “flighty” and was salty (no link for that) which isn’t something you would have said about Donewald had he stayed or said about him 3 months ago. 

You may not be the one coming up with labels, but you definitely are very defensive. As I said before, you can be critical about RT and everything that’s happened post-E8 and still want him to succeed and win here. Those things aren’t mutually exclusive. 

• Hook 'Em 1