Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

13 hours ago, HookEm said:

It is clear now that RT isn't inheriting much from this year and will basically be building from scratch.  How many wins next year will be a success for RT? 

If he builds a team that makes the tourney?  Makes it past the first weekend? 

It would be nice to establish the goalpost right now when things look the bleakest.  I predict that once the commits start rolling in, some people will be like "well with THIS team of course he should make the Sweet 16". 

My expectation is making the tournament at a bare minimum

We start missing the tournament and I'll jump off the RT bandwagon real quick

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

“RT was the only reason beard got good players he was the recruiter”

Can we stop this nonsense. If that was true we wouldn’t be getting passed up by everyone so far with an empty fucking roster and starting positions open lmao. Someone fucking commit so I can stop being a pussy.

but you do it so well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, VinyVango said:

That’s a wet dream until we see what is on the roster. Even with a couple decent to good portal transfers this team won’t sniff a 1-4 seed … way too much turnover… with maybe three strong portal transfers (if they even exist) and Hunter and Disu back, we might have a shot at a 4 seed and top 3 conference finish … but right now a tourney 8 seed and top 1/2 conference finish would be a success

I did not say that I expected this to happen.   We don’t even know who is on the team yet. What I said was that with all we have going for us this should be the expectation.  I don’t think it is unreasonable to think that we should meet or at least be close to this more often than not. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We can't all be a self proclaimed best poster like you BO. I know you're super important at the Sears outlet center so it's hard to ever say you're wrong about anything on surly.

How does Sears have an outlet center when they don't even have regular stores?  

Early rumor has it, Texas will play UCONN in the first game of the Empire Classic with Indiana/Louisville on the other side.  They're hope being to set up a UCONN/Indiana championship game in New York, us with Louisville in the 3rd place game.  I can see why.  That'd be a fun early season tourney to make in perosn.

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

How does Sears have an outlet center when they don't even have regular stores?  

Early rumor has it, Texas will play UCONN in the first game of the Empire Classic with Indiana/Louisville on the other side.  They're hope being to set up a UCONN/Indiana championship game in New York, us with Louisville in the 3rd place game.  I can see why.  That'd be a fun early season tourney to make in perosn.

Dont Get It The Sandlot GIF

Yeah, dude I got it...was just trying to participate in the continued sarcasm.  Obviously I failed.  We're actually dealing with a workout group for that shitstain of a former Sears at Hancock Plaza and the one at Barton Creek Square.  Fun fact though, a UT professor and orange jacket winner is helping.  He worked with Sears and Dean Witter to invent the Discover Card many years ago.  Helluva nice guy and loves UT hoops.  

You gotta be careful, Defunct Department Store humor is hard to pull off even with a learned crowd.  I once wrote a network pilot about Service Merchandise going out of business.  "It's all self-serve.  And there's no merchandise.  What's the deal with this?"  It didn't workshop very well.  But we did get a mini-series with Montgomery Ward.  

3 hours ago, VinyVango said:

That’s a wet dream until we see what is on the roster. Even with a couple decent to good portal transfers this team won’t sniff a 1-4 seed … way too much turnover… with maybe three strong portal transfers (if they even exist) and Hunter and Disu back, we might have a shot at a 4 seed and top 3 conference finish … but right now a tourney 8 seed and top 1/2 conference finish would be a success

To piggyback on this - the 2027 team - regardless of who is coaching - isn't going to be any good. I doubt they go above .500 in the SEC and they may have to battle in the conference tourney just to get a tournament bid.

I mean, I have no idea who's going to be on the roster and I haven't seen them play any games but I'm confident in my assumption.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:
4 hours ago, Pancho said:
Did not think Arterio would be visiting a place like kansas. Jesus. 

Not good enough? Or not their style of player?

The baggage of the dv stuff combined it’s kansas doesn’t need to take someone that needs work because they are kansas. Terio is going to be great but he needs some fine tuning. 

2 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Do we know if Abmas has a visit scheduled?

Not from what I’ve seen, but I’m behind a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

“RT was the only reason beard got good players he was the recruiter”

Can we stop this nonsense. If that was true we wouldn’t be getting passed up by everyone so far with an empty fucking roster and starting positions open lmao. Someone fucking commit so I can stop being a pussy.

Who the fuck had ever said that? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

To piggyback on this - the 2027 team - regardless of who is coaching - isn't going to be any good. I doubt they go above .500 in the SEC and they may have to battle in the conference tourney just to get a tournament bid.

I mean, I have no idea who's going to be on the roster and I haven't seen them play any games but I'm confident in my assumption.

And there should be no doubt in your mind that Chris Beard would go 41-0 and win the national title with that same roster (whoever the fuck they are)…

Just now, closetohumping said:

I don’t even remember anyone saying Rodney was better than Chris tbh.  

There were a ton of posters saying RT was the main recruiter for beard and got all his recruits. Which I guess meant they thought he was gonna kill it in the portal and start getting commits in asap. 

I'm sure Terry is very familiar with this guy since he recruited him and coached him for a year.  Seems like a decent get for some bench depth.  

Onyema averaged 7.1 pts, 4.4 reb in 20 mpg for UTEP last year.  For reference Christian Bishop averaged 6.6 pts, 3.4 reb in 18 min for us last year.  So if Onyema continues to develop, he could probably replace some of that production.

Free throw shooting at 56% is a concern... but it is up from 30%!! 

Also looks like he is eligible for two years of play.

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Think he's still gonna visit WSU

I don’t like not being the last visit. Seems like the last visit always wins. And I’m sure there’s examples where that’s not true. That’s why I’m not confident on the shedrick visit since we’re first and he’s got 3 more schools to go after that. But we need a commit to help get RT some freaking momentum.

I'm not currently seeing Disu on any NBA draft boards.  Mitchell is coming in anywhere from 20-35.  Tyrese Hunter is 50+ if listed at all.  If I'm making bets, I would say that both Tyrese Hunter and Disu both come back.  Hopefully we can load them both up with nice NIL deals to make it worth their while.

The team is going to be so much more top heavy than last year.  I bet all of our starters are going to be in the 30-35 mpg range.  If Disu comes back I could see him having one of the better seasons for a Texas big in a long time.

Looking at NIL deals, On3 had Marcus Carr estimated at $175K last year. I would hope that Disu and Hunter could get comparable deals - especially after our Elite 8 run. Disu is pretty popular - I could see him getting even more than that.

It looks like a G-League salary is in the $50K range, but I'm sure players can make more overseas.

Coming back to college is definitely a much better financial decision than it used to be if a player isn't drafted.  Not only do they get the NIL money, they still get free tuition and room & board.  Plus they have the chance to showcase their skills to a much broader audience than in Europe.

I have no reason to believe that both of these players won't be back. 

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

his parents' house has a runway?!?

Oh my god.  Who said anything about airplanes.  They have these things I’ve told you about before on this site called helicopters.  But you just keep following me around on this site talking about airplanes and runways.  Why do you have this obsession with me over where you can and can’t fly.  It’s really bordering on sociopathic.  I’m sure you will follow me to some other thread now and make an airplane joke.  And I told people it would happen.  

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, HookEm said:

It looks like a G-League salary is in the $50K range

G League is an investment for the rest of your career. If you can make the G League you should at least play there for a couple years. Also 10 days are at minimum $61,000. 

19 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Oh my god.  Who said anything about airplanes.  They have these things I’ve told you about before on this site called helicopters.  But you just keep following me around on this site talking about airplanes and runways.  Why do you have this obsession with me over where you can and can’t fly.  It’s really bordering on sociopathic.  I’m sure you will follow me to some other thread now and make an airplane joke.  And I told people it would happen.  

Holycopter >> swagcopter