Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The 180 in this thread if Tre Johnson walks through that door would be hilarious. 

And if he doesn't, everybody's gonna cry that Beard would've gotten him.  Because we had a coach of Beard's caliber for 1.2 seasons out of the last 100 seasons and now that's our standard and anything less than 14 Final Fours in a row will be failure.  Yawn.

18 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’m in the same boat.  I’m not saying Terry is gonna lead is to the promised land.  It just is funny watching Derka “I told y’all motherfuckers” multiple people on this thread.

You must be mistaken.  He doesn't do that.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’m in the same boat.  I’m not saying Terry is gonna lead is to the promised land.  It just is funny watching Derka “I told y’all motherfuckers” multiple people on this thread.  

At this point in Beards first few months on the job our roster was shit too.  Let’s see what happens. 

I think it's too soon.  I actually think year 1 is too soon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If you put down someone's prediction a priori and that person ends up being correct, what do people think the appropriate response from that person should be? Turn the other cheek?

Is it correct yet though?  I think it's way too soon to call RT's tenure a success or failure LMAO.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If you put down someone's prediction a priori and that person ends up being correct, what do people think the appropriate response from that person should be? Turn the other cheek?

Maybe the correct response should be to act like you've been there before?

When a person claims that they don't make "I told you so posts," but litters the thread with them, what should the appropriate response be?  And shouldn't someone's prediction actually be proven correct before we even need to consider any of this?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Maybe the correct response should be to act like you've been there before?

When a person claims that they don't make "I told you so posts," but litters the thread with them, what should the appropriate response be?  And shouldn't someone's prediction actually be proven correct before we even need to consider any of this?

Do you think there will be "I told you so" posts from the RT camp if we land Abmas or any other coveted recruits?

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Is it correct yet though?  I think it's way too soon to call RT's tenure a success or failure LMAO.  

Well, I think there are several layers of predictions he made, including RT's ability to build a championship caliber roster. We have had few wheels come off from the projected roster so far, so he is more right than the other camp who does not have much to show for so far, but I agree that nothing is proven yet.

Edited by UTEE97

35 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Do you think there will be "I told you so" posts from the RT camp if we land Abmas or any other coveted recruits?

I have no idea, but I imagine I'll be too busy enjoying the success of our team's basketball program to care.  And I don't see any of them claiming that they don't make "I told you so" posts.    

59 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Well, I think there are several layers of predictions he made, including RT's ability to build a championship caliber roster. We have had few wheels come off from the projected roster so far, so he is more right than the other camp who does not have much to show for so far, but I agree that nothing is proven yet.

Have to look at context though.  Guys like Allen, Bishop and even Disu weren't going to be drafted last year.  Mitchell?  Quite possible.  

I'm curious if Morris is chasing more NIL money or he doesn't feel like this is the best place for him. 

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Remember when Derka said he doesn't make "I told you so" posts?  idig fucking remembers.

there's a pretty big difference in waiting for RT to fail and then gloating about how much he sucks vs saying, "see? this was our concern dude" when he starts losing 5* commits, top assistant coaches, and missing out in transfer portal guys. one is childishly beating your chest and gloating about Texas being bad, the other is just pointing out that RT didn't suddenly become CB's equal by going to the E8 with CB's team. 

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Damn. Abmas officially visiting KSU this weekend. No word on anything schedule for us yet.

I hear you.
I see the on3 site has KS at 95% now and us at 3% but no one really knows until the kid makes the pick.
I consider Abmas the center piece in our recruiting right now, but I'm concerned that with such a sparse roster some recruits are going to worry about not
having a competitive team to play with. Hopefully things will swing our way soon.

abmas.jpg

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

then why did you run around this board starting so much shit about RT being a slam dunk hire during the tournament? the infighting that's happening on this board time now is a direct result of you and your posts during the tournament. you were downright rabid.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Ever been to Manhattan, Kansas? 

Only for the football game this year. Brutal weather and you can only drink alcohol in a little corral behind the endzone with no sightline to the field. Hopefully Max takes this into consideration.

16 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I hear you.
I see the on3 site has KS at 95% now and us at 3% but no one really knows until the kid makes the pick.
I consider Abmas the center piece in our recruiting right now, but I'm concerned that with such a sparse roster some recruits are going to worry about not
having a competitive team to play with. Hopefully things will swing our way soon.

abmas.jpg

2 days ago there were multiple picks of Abmas to Texas and now it’s 95% KSU. 

None of these hacks know anything. At all. They say what people want to hear to keep subscribers and parrot program talking points to keep access 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

then why did you run around this board starting so much shit about RT being a slam dunk hire during the tournament? the infighting that's happening on this board time now is a direct result of you and your posts during the tournament. you were downright rabid.

Starting shit?  Everyone of my posts said he won the job and that we should get behind him.  I’ve also pointed out repeatedly that there are probably at least 20 better coaches.  Both can still be true? Never said he was better than Beard and I don't recall seeing anyone else say that either.    You’re the most abrasive dude here, on every topic.  Negging people, name calling and tagging them when they don’t agree with you. 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Manhattan Ks > Tulsa Ok

I think I could begrudgingly live in Tulsa. I don't think I'd make it more than a few days in Manhattan before drinking a handle of vodka and blowing my brains out in front of an unattractive hooker.

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there's a pretty big difference in waiting for RT to fail and then gloating about how much he sucks vs saying, "see? this was our concern dude" when he starts losing 5* commits, top assistant coaches, and missing out in transfer portal guys. one is childishly beating your chest and gloating about Texas being bad, the other is just pointing out that RT didn't suddenly become CB's equal by going to the E8 with CB's team. 

Has anyone actually said he’s Chris’s equal?

Just now, ztejas said:

I think I could begrudgingly live in Tulsa. I don't think I'd make it more than a few days in Manhattan before drinking a handle of vodka and blowing my brains out in front of an unattractive hooker.

Tulsa over Manhattan all day

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

The 180 in this thread if Tre Johnson walks through that door would be hilarious. 

I mean at this point, Tre Johnson could commit and then decide to play pro in April of 2024 and the same people would be posting the same stupid shit over again.

Who gives a fuck about what city is cooler. He lived in Tulsa so he doesn’t care obviously. 

Abmas is gonna have a way better idea of what Tang can do for his game than RT. Tang just helped an undersized scoring guard blow up in the tourney and RT ran beards offense and his roster. That begs the question I’ve had, what offense and defense does RT run? I’ll be surprised if abmas ends up here based off of abmas wanting to play for a coach that will still allow him to play like he does. 

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

It’s pretty clear Mitchell was never coming back. He will develop how whatever NBA team wants him to develop wherever. He has that much upside. 

Both Gerry and Ian mentioned his position as that swing wing rarely gets developed correctly in the college level and his best basketball is ahead of them in the NBA/G-League.

• Hook 'Em 3

This is all extremely concerning. Yes players would leave if Beard was still the coach. That's not the issue. The issue is that Beard has proven time and again that he can find guys that can play together and make a really good and cohesive team. I literally did not care about roster moves with him, and just knew he would find players and make them work.

Guys leaving the program and recruits choosing to go elsewhere is concerning with RT because he hasn't earned that trust, we don't know how he is gonna deal with it or what kind of players he will be able to bring in, let alone if those players will be a good fit and play together well. It's also pretty typical that we put so much stock in this year's team having so much love for RT, and hiring him because they wanted us to, and pretty much none of them will be here next year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

I was told RT was a top recruiter. Recruiting as an assistant for beard is different than recruiting for yourself. What offense and defense is he selling? No one knows so it’s hard to sell your vision for them as a player and as an overall program. 

Maybe some will hop on board soon and we will all calm down(talking to myself).

I would still like to know what his offensive philosophy is? Anyone actually ever watch his teams at fresno and utep?

Just now, Rockethorn1978 said:

I was told RT was a top recruiter. Recruiting as an assistant for beard is different than recruiting for yourself. What offense and defense is he selling? No one knows so it’s hard to sell your vision for them as a player and as an overall program. 

Maybe some will hop on board soon and we will all calm down(talking to myself).

I would still like to know what his offensive philosophy is? Anyone actually ever watch his teams at fresno and utep?

Well fuck it's hard to sell an offensive vision since we have no fucking idea if Donewald is staying or not. 

Hard to sell what was the best offense Texas has run in 2 decades to potential transfers if the guy who was behind it hasn't committed to coming back to run it back

God damnit.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Brutal 72 hours.

We need to keep Hunter, Disu, Cunningham, Holland, and Anamekwe; that’s 2 really good starters, a great 6th/7th man, a dynamic freshman who can start or be the 6th man, and a depth F who would be fine as the 3rd or 4th guy off the bench for a good team.

In order to even have tournament aspirations we need to add an all-conference caliber scoring guard and an established big man.  After that it would be good to add another ball handler and another player with some size for depth.

Things are lookin dicey.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well fuck it's hard to sell an offensive vision since we have no fucking idea if Donewald is staying or not. 

Hard to sell what was the best offense Texas has run in 2 decades to potential transfers if the guy who was behind it hasn't committed to coming back to run it back

God damnit.

Most HC have their own offensive philosophies. Donewald not coming shows me RT isn’t that great of a closer as everyone thinks. His staff should have been locked down two weeks ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

i never went out of my way to watch his teams, but i've posted his career AdjO numbers here before. he had a couple of decent offenses at fresno, nothing more, and two of his three offenses are utep looked really bad, one of them impossibly bad. his sample size at utep isn't massive, but in 10 years as a HC his best AdjO was #85 in the country, and all of his teams seemed to play anywhere from pretty slow to a snail's pace. the numbers on the page don't look good.

Just now, shadow_operative said:

i never went out of my way to watch his teams, but i've posted his career AdjO numbers here before. he had a couple of decent offenses at fresno, nothing more, and two of his three offenses are utep looked really bad, one of them impossibly bad. his sample size at utep isn't massive, but in 10 years as a HC his best AdjO was #85 in the country, and all of his teams seemed to play anywhere from pretty slow to a snail's pace. the numbers on the page don't look good.

F22DA08E-69F0-4484-875E-0D10B3D277E0.thumb.jpeg.5e388fca17b21007f5a5bb0e9398ea59.jpeg

this was that horrid utep offense i mentioned:

8DCACFBD-EF46-42D9-856C-C27A94351A9F.thumb.jpeg.7f1d35e0c8aefc2d27451bc7e3906212.jpeg

they shot 44.5% from two point range for an entire season. that's wild. and i can tell you that RT is the first coach that Texas has ever hired who was two seasons remived from a season like this:

1DD5BEF3-3674-420E-AAC2-656B32D07D26.thumb.jpeg.03663514eebd979d690766a0d01abd51.jpeg

in fact i can't imagine that we've hired a coach who's ever had a season like that, much less two seasons prior to being hired. the questions about RT and how he's supposed to make this all work are valid, as is the worry over this conspicuously poor start to his tenure as HC at Texas.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I want donewald back but any coach worth a shit doesn’t rely on his “offensive assistant” to make his offense move. What if that assistant moves on? Or gets a head job? He has to have his own identity on both sides of the ball and an assistant that fits those identities. 

I don’t think most on here understand that RT didn’t just manage beards roster but he ran what was already installed which was beards offense and defense. I’m sure there were some tweaks he tossed in just not sure what they were.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watch after we get our first portal commit. If it’s meh the shitting will continue, if it’s good then you’ll have the RT apologists shitting on anyone that said anything that opposes him. But really none of it matters till we play a full season. Idgaf who’s on the roster as long as it meshes with his philosophies and we win. If Florida Atlantic can make it to the final four than no Texas coach has any fucking excuse.

58 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Watch after we get our first portal commit. If it’s meh the shitting will continue, if it’s good then you’ll have the RT apologists shitting on anyone that said anything that opposes him. But really none of it matters till we play a full season. Idgaf who’s on the roster as long as it meshes with his philosophies and we win. If Florida Atlantic can make it to the final four than no Texas coach has any fucking excuse.

Just like the RT "haters" will stir the pot when Abmas commits to KSU?

Any coach competing for a portal guy with RT will absolutely point that out