Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

30 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I can’t wait to fast forward a few months and see what his final roster looks like. I’m sure I’m overreacting but what a shittastic start. 

I would rather rewind to the night when we beat the living shit out of Gonzaga. Not looking forward to the future.

• Hook 'Em 1

Alright, lets see. We've lost Allen, Bishop, Carr, Rice, Mitchell, Morris, Brumbaugh, and Johnson. Who knows on Disu or Hunter right? So the only for sures are Brock, Holland, and the guy whose name I can't pronounce. Ok, ok, so we're gonna need about eight guys from the portal. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Nothing that has happened so far has been a surprise. Maybe missing on Dixon-Waters. Locking in Holland was not a guarantee and the biggest win of the offseason so far. Just need Disu to lock in and we’re fine. 

QUIT BEING REASONABLE!!!

IM HAVING BIG FEELINGS AND I WANT TO EXPRESS THEM!!!

• Haha 1

The On3 national reporters confirmed that they are hearing Texas and KSU most for Abmas. Specifically said he’s not expected to follow his coach to Wichita St. With the way this week has gone, he will probably commit to WSU within the hour lol.

Some Indiana writer with a pretty good track record on 247 crystal balls put a predicition in for Abmas to Texas just now with a 6 confidence level.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Everyone staying. Dozens of players reached out to transfer here. Staff continuity

New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

so. much. shit talking towards those of us who acknowledged that this was not a home run hire. we're still in April and it's beyond clear that beard >>>>>> RT in areas that have nothing to do with on-court performance. well, unless you count actually having living, breathing players on your team as being related to on-court performance. this is such a clusterfuck. 

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

And here it comes.  Gonna be an ugly three years either way 

the fuck? you've spent the better part of the last month aggressively seeking out anyone who didn't love that we had to hire RT and talking crazy shit to them about how wrong they were. now you're trying to quietly blend in with those same people? fuck the fuck off dude. seriously, maybe go ahead and sit out RT's entire tenure with that shit talking bullshit you've been pulling about how great RT is. @idigTexas can follow your ass right out the door. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I mean this thread btw.    Gonna be a back and forth between the pro and nay side 

hey asshole, you are the creator of more shit talking and infighting over this subject than e retiñe else here combined. while most of us were trying either pumped about RT or less than thrilled but trying to be positive, you were starting shit left and right on this forum. suddenly you don't like that anymore? get fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Hey, the players all love him.

This is why you don't get divorced, go to Vegas, have a great time and then marry the hooker afterwards.

The further we get from the euphoria of the EE the more our coach is going to need some positive movement to stay afloat.

going well.gif

remember hookem's thread/poll about "what would RT need to do during the tourney to earn this job"? remember when some of us said that no tourney run could do that, because it's just one tourney run with a team that's not his, and that the rest of his 27 years as a d-1 coach points to him not being the guy? remember when a bunch of other posters freaked out over that, and gloated and talked a bunch of shit to us after every win in march?  because derka fucking remembers! 😡😡😡

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yep. Damned if we hired Terry and damned if we didn't. 

We got an Elite Eight out of it. That's not a small thing. I'm grateful for the season. In my view there is zero chance Rodney Terry earns a contract extension. But for me that's not going to take away from what he did.

I could foresee all this the moment Terry was named interim coach. Inherently that's a job interview. It just is. Some folks came at me for expressing mixed feelings about the appointment because it was felt I should be 100% supportive of coach, which is a reasonable take. My view is it simply prepared me for where we are today. 

Terry's biggest issue - among several - is that in sales parlance he's an order taker, not a closer. Some folks on here would suggest you can be an order taker at Texas, but that's not true. To lead a college sports program into prominence you have to have something about you that is compelling. Order takers have initial success and then they fail. Which is what is going to happen to Terry. And then we'll start over again and see how we do regarding the hiring cycle then. 

In the meantime he's going to have successes, just like he'll have failures. And the folks who are anti Terry will want to point at every failure as evidence he's not the guy, and claim Beard would have done better. While the pro Terry people (and that includes folks who don't necessarily think he's the right guy, but he's the guy we have, so - hey - why don't we support the guy? You know?) will point to his successes as evidence he's going to be okay, and dismiss all the Beard nonsense as unhelpful speculation that may or may not be true, but he's not here so what good does it do anyway?

All I know is that the only measure for a college basketball coach is how they do in the tournament. That's not the greatest measurement, but it's the measurement we have. And Terry is a year off from having his next measurement in that regard. So let's see what happens. I mean, I'm convicted about what's going to happen over the next 3 or 4 years, but I have no idea what's going to happen from season to season. Let's see how it goes. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

QUIT BEING REASONABLE!!!

IM HAVING BIG FEELINGS AND I WANT TO EXPRESS THEM!!!

that post was not reasonable, and your passive aggressive shit talking towards UT hoops fans who are upset is about as logical as living in MORGANTOWN and then telling people you're from "Motown" and expecting them to know the difference. stfu.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

We got an Elite Eight out of it. That's not a small thing. I'm grateful for the season. In my view there is zero chance Rodney Terry earns a contract extension. But for me that's not going to take away from what he did.

I could foresee all this the moment Terry was named interim coach. Inherently that's a job interview. It just is. Some folks came at me for expressing mixed feelings about the appointment because it was felt I should be 100% supportive of coach, which is a reasonable take. My view is it simply prepared me for where we are today. 

Terry's biggest issue - among several - is that in sales parlance he's an order taker, not a closer. Some folks on here would suggest you can be an order taker at Texas, but that's not true. To lead a college sports program into prominence you have to have something about you that is compelling. Order takers have initial success and then they fail. Which is what is going to happen to Terry. And then we'll start over again and see how we do regarding the hiring cycle then. 

In the meantime he's going to have successes, just like he'll have failures. And the folks who are anti Terry will want to point at every failure as evidence he's not the guy, and claim Beard would have done better. While the pro Terry people (and that includes folks who don't necessarily think he's the right guy, but he's the guy we have, so - hey - why don't we support the guy? You know?) will point to his successes as evidence he's going to be okay, and dismiss all the Beard nonsense as unhelpful speculation that may or may not be true, but he's not here so what good does it do anyway?

All I know is that the only measure for a college basketball coach is how they do in the tournament. That's not the greatest measurement, but it's the measurement we have. And Terry is a year off from having his next measurement in that regard. So let's see what happens. I mean, I'm convicted about what's going to happen over the next 3 or 4 years, but I have no idea what's going to happen from season to season. Let's see how it goes. 

You think we make the tourney next year?  That seems unlikely.

I don't disagree about being happy for an Elite 8 appearance, but Terry is likely to go nowhere but down, and if we didn't offer him, we would have been crucified in the media and would have given opposing coaches more ammo to use against us in recruiting. 

Just now, Frank Drebin said:

You think we make the tourney next year?  That seems unlikely.

I didn't say that. I said it's a measurement. Not making the tournament is a measurement. I think it's highly likely Terry never makes the tournament at Texas. But I'm not certain about it. I just don't think he'll have enough to success to keep the job. That's the only thing I'm truly convicted on. 

Just now, Deej said:

I don't disagree about being happy for an Elite 8 appearance, but Terry is likely to go nowhere but down, and if we didn't offer him, we would have been crucified in the media and would have given opposing coaches more ammo to use against us in recruiting. 

I don't care about being crucified in the media, and I don't care about opposing coaches having ammo in recruiting. If you hire the right guy, he overcomes that. 

What I do care about is keeping a guy who has been arrested for felony domestic assault. I wouldn't have been able to follow Texas basketball any more if we'd done that. I don't care what happened or didn't happen. You can't be putting yourself in that situation as the head coach at Texas. You just can't. After that there was a certain amount of railroad tracks involved.

When Terry was hired, I had a choice as a fan of either rooting for the team to fail so that we could go after another coach, or rooting for the team to succeed so that Terry would be given the job and the opportunity to succeed or fail as the head coach himself. I spent a lot of December with a lot of mixed feelings, but in the end the team was so easy to root for. And I am a Texas fan more than a fan of any specific player or coach. I'm glad I was able to make the switch. It was a really fun tournament run that I will treasure always. At the end of the day Terry deserves a lot of credit for that. The wheels easily could have come off for this past season. Easily. They didn't. I'm not saying he's the only one who was responsible. All the players get credit. All of the staff gets credit. Frankly, Beard gets credit. But Terry was the guy at the top of the pyramid, so to me I tip my hat to him that he kept things from falling apart. That's important to me.

So we have a few down years. As long as it's not 6 years like with Shaka, I'm okay with that. Shaka didn't give us a magical Elite Eight run. Far from it. 

I can be grateful enough to Terry to watch us flounder over the next few years and then hire someone new. I'm not saying that should be anyone else's perspective. For some people they need to feel like Texas is going to compete at a high level under Terry, and that's okay, too. But I feel way more comfortable right now than I did halfway through Smart's second year where I felt like I'd seen enough to want to hit the eject button. I basically wanted to hit the eject button on Terry the moment he was named interim coach. Since that wasn't possible, I made peace with it. I'm good with how things went down. We'll see how it goes with the next guy. In the meantime I'll hope for some fun times in the few years Terry is our head coach. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

hey asshole, you are the creator of more shit talking and infighting over this subject than e retiñe else here combined. while most of us were trying either pumped about RT or less than thrilled but trying to be positive, you were starting shit left and right on this forum. suddenly you don't like that anymore? get fucked.

Triggered again?

• Hook 'Em 1

So worst case scenario is 3-4 years of Shaka... 🤪

With all the moving parts in the Portal you can't tell what's what until the dust settles.  Like I said a while back, we are gonna find out pretty fast if Terry can recruit or not.  And right now some folks are feeling like their date to the prom just told you that they are going with somebody else and you are scrambling to find a date... any date!

Right now things a looking a lot more tenuous than they were.  And anxiety is rising.  Let's hope and pray that Terry can indeed fill the slots in the portal. I know that Terry and everyone in the BBall office is hoping to hear something, anything positive.  

8 minutes ago, horn4life said:

So worst case scenario is 3-4 years of Shaka... 🤪

With all the moving parts in the Portal you can't tell what's what until the dust settles.  Like I said a while back, we are gonna find out pretty fast if Terry can recruit or not.  And right now some folks are feeling like their date to the prom just told you that they are going with somebody else and you are scrambling to find a date... any date!

Right now things a looking a lot more tenuous than they were.  And anxiety is rising.  Let's hope and pray that Terry can indeed fill the slots in the portal. I know that Terry and everyone in the BBall office is hoping to hear something, anything positive.  

I'm not quite clear about what you're saying. You're acting as if the guy just got into coaching. There is no question Terry can recruit. He can identify talent. He can help convince players to play for him. This offseason will not determine if Terry can recruit or not. He can. 

Even at Fresno State and UTEP he attracted talented players. He got Bryson Williams to come with him from Fresno State to UTEP.

If/when he's let go at Texas and he gets another assistant job - possibly with Beard where ever Beard ends up - he's going to be a good recruiter there, too. 

Can he be a compelling figure as the head of the Texas basketball program? I mean, we'll see. I say no, but we all get to find out. 

5 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We’re not making anything with 4 guys on the roster. And abmas hasn’t committed. If I had a dollar everytime a 9.95er cb a player and they ended up wrong I’d be a millionaire. 

It's a marketing tool, not a predictive indicator. Which is to say I'm in agreement. It's great for what it is, but people try to make it into something it isn't.