Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I want donewald back but any coach worth a shit doesn’t rely on his “offensive assistant” to make his offense move. What if that assistant moves on? Or gets a head job? He has to have his own identity on both sides of the ball and an assistant that fits those identities. 

I don’t think most on here understand that RT didn’t just manage beards roster but he ran what was already installed which was beards offense and defense. I’m sure there were some tweaks he tossed in just not sure what they were.

Yeah Rick Barnes for sure didn’t rely on his offensive assistant coach. 

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Just like the RT "haters" will stir the pot when Abmas commits to KSU?

nobody hates RT. everyone is rooting for him. this infighting started when the pro-RT crowd (particularly you) kept getting upset and starting fights with people who've given legitimate reasons to be unsure about whether or not he's cut out for this job. but still, other than loop 1604, who was crowdsourced, nobody here has ever hated RT, or even been unfairly critical of him as far as i can recall.

also, losing out on Abmas would be reason for concern, and voicing those concerns does not constitute "stirring the pot". 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'm disappointed, but allegedly he got 750K?  We can't realistically match that imo,.

I am interested to see this contract he got with the Hawks. I wound up following the NBL because while I was on vacation in January the nearest ESPN affiliated website was the Aussie version. I kept that version and it’s a better read than the US one. If he is getting 750k there are going to be a lot of not real happy players in that league because the cap for each team is under 3 million. The Hawks spent about 2.3 million on their entire roster last year and won three games. They were right below the league average on players expenditures.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I am interested to see this contract he got with the Hawks. I wound up following the NBL because while I was on vacation in January the nearest ESPN affiliated website was the Aussie version. I kept that version and it’s a better read than the US one. If he is getting 750k there are going to be a lot of not real happy players in that league because the cap for each team is under 3 million. The Hawks spent about 2.3 million on their entire roster last year and won three games. They were right below the league average on players expenditures.

Gerry was not counting on someone fact checking the NBL contract. 😂

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I want donewald back but any coach worth a shit doesn’t rely on his “offensive assistant” to make his offense move. What if that assistant moves on? Or gets a head job? He has to have his own identity on both sides of the ball and an assistant that fits those identities. 

You do realize that Beard relied on Donewald to make his offense move, and it was much better in year 2 when Beard gave Donewald more control and of course it exploded when Terry took over and Texas played with more pace.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UpperWestside said:

If they only won three games they may want to bring in someone with talent?  Not the first situation where one guy gets paid more than his teammates. 

for example, it looks like Matt delladova made 900k last season?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/the-nbls-top-14-earners-from-the-22122-season-matt-dellavedova-and-bryce-cotton-top-the-list/news-story/827948b9839a0789c55a9a51301a4f5c

too lazy to google how much marbury and Howard made in China but I wonder if they pay talented foreigners well….as well?

Edited by closetohumping

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You do realize that Beard relied on Donewald to make his offense move, and it was much better in year 2 when Beard gave Donewald more control and of course it exploded when Terry took over and Texas played with more pace.

Yea but beard also had an offensive identity pre established that he has run at other schools with success. I didn’t say you couldn’t have assistants that wouldn’t improve what you have I said you can’t rely on assistants to give you an identity. Huge difference.

5 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Don't worry. It'll actually be Chris Beard vs. Rodney Terry vs. Shaka Smart.

LOL

Can we throw in Rick Barnes for good measure? And maybe some cameo appearances from Charlie Strong just because?

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

then why did you run around this board starting so much shit about RT being a slam dunk hire during the tournament? the infighting that's happening on this board time now is a direct result of you and your posts during the tournament. you were downright rabid.

LOL man go outside again

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

LOL

Can we throw in Rick Barnes for good measure? And maybe some cameo appearances from Charlie Strong just because?

All of them have won more games than Rodney here.  Fwiw

Just now, MotownHorn said:

LOL man go outside again

Lol.  I started the infighting.  He gives me too much credit.   

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If they only won three games they may want to bring in someone with talent?  Not the first situation where one guy gets paid more than his teammates. 

for example, it looks like Matt delladova made 900k last season?

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/the-nbls-top-14-earners-from-the-22122-season-matt-dellavedova-and-bryce-cotton-top-the-list/news-story/827948b9839a0789c55a9a51301a4f5c

too lazy to google how much marbury and Howard made in China but I wonder if they pay talented foreigners well….as well?

The dollar figures cited are in Aussie dollars. If the 1 year deal is for 750k that would be a little over 500k USD. I mean of course the last place team in the league wants to bring in more talent, but there is significant salary structure in the NBL. They do not have the money to throw around like you see the Saudis doing with Ronaldo and that golf league as well. 

There has been significant wage increases, especially for the players near the bottom of the salary chart. I do not think that the person reporting what he got was talking about it in regards to the currency exchange. There are also contract perks that are added in that the players receive. This seems like it could be a case of some not real good reporting by people who do not follow the NBL. 

3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

The dollar figures cited are in Aussie dollars. If the 1 year deal is for 750k that would be a little over 500k USD. I mean of course the last place team in the league wants to bring in more talent, but there is significant salary structure in the NBL. They do not have the money to throw around like you see the Saudis doing with Ronaldo and that golf league as well. 

There has been significant wage increases, especially for the players near the bottom of the salary chart. I do not think that the person reporting what he got was talking about it in regards to the currency exchange. There are also contract perks that are added in that the players receive. This seems like it could be a case of some not real good reporting by people who do not follow the NBL. 

I didn’t mention a 1 year deal?  I also never said the money was solely provided by his Aussie team.  The agency that represented Jalen green is working with aj.  This is more than just Texas vs the Aussie team.  

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Dude this place was really chill with no arguments before YOU came around

My mom said that to me when I was 2.  

Can you believe shitbag gerry would make up academic issues to kiss up to Rodney???

Edited by closetohumping

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I didn’t mention a 1 year deal?  I also never said the money was solely provided by his Aussie team.  The agency that represented Jalen green is working with aj.  This is more than just Texas vs the Aussie team.  

My mom said that to me when I was 2.  

Can you believe shitbag gerry would make up academic issues to kiss up to Rodney???

I assume it is only for a season. It’s a stop-over in a more competitive environment where he can develop against pros for a year, which could be fairly beneficial. 

4 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I assume it is only for a season. It’s a stop-over in a more competitive environment where he can develop against pros for a year, which could be fairly beneficial. 

Not sure.  Idk how long Lamelo was out there tbh.  Only thing gerry said that I saw was AJ didn’t want to play school and his grades were an issue.  If you hate the RT move enough to say that Gerry made that up to protect Rodney then idk what to say. If you say my kid has bad grades to butternup the coach then you and I will have an issue.  

im also not sure how much our nil budget was.  Not sure if 375k per year is normal for a guy like aj.  Great talent.  New frontier.   Not sure how much guys like Allen, Bishop and Mitchell got paid annually.  Would surprise me if it was over 375

you mentioned it may be fairly beneficial to play against pros.  So if it’s not about money, why is this an indictment on Rodney?

Edited by closetohumping

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure.  Idk how long Lamelo was out there tbh.  Only thing gerry said that I saw was AJ didn’t want to play school and his grades were an issue.  If you hate the RT move enough to say that Gerry made that up to protect Rodney then idk what to say. If you say my kid has bad grades to butternup the coach then you and I will have an issue.  

im also not sure how much our nil budget was.  Not sure if 375k per year is normal for a guy like aj.  Great talent.  New frontier.   Not sure how much guys like Allen, Bishop and Mitchell got paid annually.  Would surprise me if it was over 375

So a closer examination, looking back at Ball and RJ Hampton, the NBL has a separate program where the league pays the contract. This contract appears to be the same value that Ball and Hampton received. He has to do certain things to earn the contract since it is not the team footing the bill. The NBL uses the players as a way to grow the popularity domestically and looking at how the salaries have risen it seems to be working. The NBL should probably be in on more of these one and done guys going forward if they have the finances to pull it off. 

3 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

So a closer examination, looking back at Ball and RJ Hampton, the NBL has a separate program where the league pays the contract. This contract appears to be the same value that Ball and Hampton received. He has to do certain things to earn the contract since it is not the team footing the bill. The NBL uses the players as a way to grow the popularity domestically and looking at how the salaries have risen it seems to be working. The NBL should probably be in on more of these one and done guys going forward if they have the finances to pull it off. 

So quite possible they can pay more than we can and he’s playing against better players?  I don’t think they give these types of contracts to just anybody so I can see why aj went that route.  And apparently grades could be an issue?  So can we give RT a pass here?  Maybe?

as an aside.   I met a lady last week from New Zealand whose kid is training with Josh giddeys trainer in la.  There’s talent down under

Edited by closetohumping

Should be a battle. Would be nice if Disu says he’s coming back while we wait for this decision, and hopefully we have some decent backup options if Shedrick goes elsewhere.

Can’t imagine this one going our way. Not sure if he visited any of these schools or what.

On 4/13/2023 at 2:25 PM, Dbeasy said:

Many have said Texas was in a no win situation and had to give Terry a shot.  Bullshit. He should be getting a shot because, and only because, they believe he’s the best person for the job. If he’s not, they should have made the tough decision to go with someone else. To be a winner and leader, you have to make the tough decisions. 

We are only a few weeks into the Terry regime, so it’s too early to scream that our pets heads are falling off. However, the massive stream of bad news regarding the program over the least few weeks could be a strong indication that this regime is going to be an absolute disaster. Buckle up, or at least grab some Kleenex, because this could be a sad three years. Fuck. 

I know you and some others have various levels of sources among donors or the AD.  I do  not.  But I have several longtime sources in the DFW sports media, people who were and remain very friendly with Del Conte,  They all believe Terry was forced on CDC to avoid negative publicity.  Since CDC became AD, only one name has emerged that has had the juice to trump Del Conte.  It's Kevin Eltife, the extremely optics-conscious regent who foisted Sarkisian on CDC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cafe society said:

I know you and some others have various levels of sources among donors or the AD.  I do  not.  But I have several longtime sources in the DFW sports media, people who were and remain very friendly with Del Conte,  They all believe Terry was forced on CDC to avoid negative publicity.  Since CDC became AD, only one name has emerged that has had the juice to trump Del Conte.  It's Kevin Eltife, the extremely optics-conscious regent who foisted Sarkisian on CDC.

I believe this.  I posted about this several months ago. Eltife is a meddler. He treats our sports teams like he is the GM.  Plus, he’s afflicted with being way too in love with his position  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, cafe society said:

@closetojumping any follow up thoughts?

5 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@closetojumping any follow up thoughts?

Once the guy made it to the second weekend, it was over. The notion that it was just Eltife is silly. The national media pretty much dared Texas to do anything but hire Terry. It doesn't just take an optics focused regent to see that for what it is.

Also, there wasn't going to be a "process" to find a new HC because the "process" happened during the season. I don't want to get into what could have been because it's fucking depressing and I don't feel like arguing on here with people about the impossibility of what could have been. 

We got to enjoy an Elite 8 run. Let that warm the cockles of your hearts over the next few years, if nothing else. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Once the guy made it to the second weekend, it was over. The notion that it was just Eltife is silly. The national media pretty much dared Texas to do anything but hire Terry. It doesn't just take an optics focused regent to see that for what it is.

Also, there wasn't going to be a "process" to find a new HC because the "process" happened during the season. I don't want to get into what could have been because it's fucking depressing and I don't feel like arguing on here with people about the impossibility of what could have been. 

We got to enjoy an Elite 8 run. Let that warm the cockles of your hearts over the next few years, if nothing else. 

Yep.  Good luck hiring Sean Miller over a guy he just lost too who has universal support from our current and former players, seemingly.

Before certain someone's jump in, I've said all along that I thought RT did well enough to win the job and the optics would've been tough.  Never said there weren't better coaches.  

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Yep.  Good luck hiring Sean Miller over a guy he just lost too who has universal support from our current and former players, seemingly.

Before certain someone's jump in, I've said all along that I thought RT did well enough to win the job and the optics would've been tough.  Never said there weren't better coaches.  

Please elobrate on these "better" coaches by naming them.

I agree with you but I am pretty sure we enquired about several coaches besides Terry and none were interested.