Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Some of these one and dones are net negatives to the program imo. They get more playing time than someone with their production level deserves. Better to have a roster full mostly of 3 and 4 stars who are juniors and seniors.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

kids these days smh. i'm pretty sick of recruiting one and dones at this point.

Do like the Rice "one and dones" though.  I can see a world where we use other schools as "farm clubs" to let the cream rise to the top

and take the best players for a year or two after they have some experience and have proven themselves. Worked this year.

Our experience of the freshman has not been great. (ok Durant was kinda fun)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Damion James was a 5* recruit (back before the top ~40 or so players all got handed five stars and being a 5* actually meant something), and he was supposed to be "the next amar'e stoudamire". in fact Barnes's pitch to Damo was that we would be running the phoenix suns offense with DJA as steve nash and Damo as Stoudamire. Damion ended up not being the next stoudamire, but he stayed at Texas, he improved every year, and he was named an all american his senior year despite how horribly that season went for Texas. in december of gbag season he was the front runner for the Wooden Award. now we have guys who come in and barely play, make almost zero impact, and they just go, "eh, sorry not sorry, i'm a five star, so i'm up outta here." the shit is stupid, and it serves no one. very frustrating.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

He seems to really be emphasizing the fact that he doesn’t think Holland and Mitchell would be a good mix skillset wise. He’s brought it up multiple times now.

There's not a lot of players that would currently work with Mitchell's skillset of being very unskilled

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Frank Erwin said:

Someone posted in the basketball recruiting thread that AJ Johnson may be considering the NBL over Texas now, and that Arterio may test the portal (potentially for a pay raise.) 

That would be a huge kick in the nuts. 

I trust RGB for sure, but Gerry said there was nothing to worry about with AJ as of today. Nothing surprises me in college hoops though, I remember thinking Ioannis Papapetrou was about to be All-Big 12 then the next thing I know he’s in Greece.

• Rage+1 2

9 minutes ago, CashMcCoy said:

I trust RGB for sure, but Gerry said there was nothing to worry about with AJ as of today. Nothing surprises me in college hoops though, I remember thinking Ioannis Papapetrou was about to be All-Big 12 then the next thing I know he’s in Greece.

That's a name I have not heard in a long long time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CashMcCoy said:

Papi was going to be so great for Texas. can't blame a guy for taking the giant check though.

Sean Miller was the coach that was interested in the Texas job.

Texas has reached out to Dickinson, but Maryland appears to be the front runner after a recent coaching hire.

Texas has reached out to Tylor Perry, guard from North Texas. Tech people think Texas leads, and Gerry likes him more than a lot of others in the portal.

Gerry is leaning towards Disu returning, as he believes that Disu wants to return.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Some of these one and dones are net negatives to the program imo. They get more playing time than someone with their production level deserves. Better to have a roster full mostly of 3 and 4 stars who are juniors and seniors.

They also are net negative because they take money away from the NIL pool. 

The return on investment we get from Morris and Mitchell is probably terrible. I have no issue with Texas primarily building rosters based on transfers. Our top 6ish players on the elite 8 team were all transfers and should be the model moving forward. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I’m very excited about Anamekwe.  I thought he looked good in the limited action he saw this year.  He may not be ready to be a full contributor next year, though.  I think if he is still around in 2 years he can be really good.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I have no issue with Texas primarily building rosters based on transfers. Our top 6ish players on the elite 8 team were all transfers and should be the model moving forward.

+1

The new winning formula. Just need to keep being attractive to transfers with success, facilities, solid coaching preparing for the next level, and a massive swinging NIL program.

Milwaukee?  I spent a week there one night.  

And we'll be playing Empire Classic with national champ UCONN, Louisville, and Indiana on 20 & 21 November in Brooklyn.  I would assume that they'd want to spread the hype and arrange it so that UCONN plays Texas or Indiana in the championship game.  Given that Louisville has sucked ass for the last few years.  /nojudgement   

1 hour ago, TheBryMan81 said:

👀👀

Thats badass. I spent a couple of years in Mil-ay-wa-kay with my first job out of school, and still know a ton of Marquette grads that live in the area. I'd say there's a pretty good chance I'll be at that game. 

On 4/4/2023 at 2:09 PM, UTEE97 said:

Some of these one and dones are net negatives to the program imo.

I don’t think it’s a great decision if DM does leave early, but in his one year here he played hard and appeared to me to always keep a good attitude. Compare this to Greg Brown, who literally walked away from his team in the middle of a game because he was upset about being substituted…

• Hook 'Em 1

People shouldn’t assume the Big12/BigEast matchups were based on records from the previous year. None of you were in the room when they decided who got matched with who for whatever reason.

Sounds like DM is testing the NBA waters, and Texas has told DM he’s got at home at UT for next year if they don’t like what they see in the NBA

5 hours ago, Pancho said:

People shouldn’t assume the Big12/BigEast matchups were based on records from the previous year. None of you were in the room when they decided who got matched with who for whatever reason.

Neither were you; for all you know that was the sole criteria…

• Hook 'Em 1