Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

21 years on HF/shaggy/surly and i've learned that some people just straight up do not believe in being critical of any facet of the program, and they all see themselves as superior fans, and look down on us "pussies" who have the temerity to be upset when things don't go well. in their world, you celebrate when things go well, but you do NOT say anything critical or negative about the team/coach/players, no matter what. these people will never change. they will live in their self deluded reality forever. NCAA- No Criticism At All. 

Those of us reacting to all the negativity are likely the "pussies" in this scenario, so stop being a bully and show a little sympathy and compassion for your surly snowflake brethren.  Texas Men's Basketball just had its best season since the prime Barnes era, and you'd think we were bounced by Abilene Christian in the first round again or were planning our NIT parade. 

No one is saying that you cannot be critical or negative at all.  Just for the love of dog, do you have to be such an over the top constant champion of doom?  You've spent way more time being critical of things that may or may not actually result in the program being unsuccessful that you did celebrating what it just accomplished.  We know what Terry's record was at Fresno and UTEP.  We understand the reasons he was hired and that he most likely was not the best candidate available.  We know that his first month since being named Head Coach has not been full of as many positives as most of us would like.  We really do know these things.  You can stop trying to convince us.

Look, I know you'll find this hard to believe, but most of us were as excited about Beard and what we expected him to accomplish here as you were.  We were all as shocked and devastated when his personal life no longer allowed him to be the coach.  It sucks, but he is gone.  In spite of your constant claims to the contrary, no one truly thinks Terry brings everything to the table that Beard did.  Still, Terry is the coach we have, and all the criticism and negativity is not going to allow Beard to come back or immediately result in a replacement that you might find more palatable.  Why is it so wrong to give Terry a chance to do the job, have a little hope that he might exceed expectations, and wait to see if he actually fails before we crucify him for not being Beard, Barnes, or even Derka? 

In these times of domestic violence, mass shootings, pandemics, war, inflation, global warming, bigotry, hatred, hunger, and countless other actual shitty things that matter, is it so wrong to want to read a little positive news from time to time?   We are all fans of the best university on the planet.  Is it not possible to find a little common ground that doesn't pile on to the misery that life is already giving us? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

For perspective, here is where we stood in each of the last two years at this time.  Make of it what you will. 

In 2021 at this time,

• Returning players:  Andrew Jones, Courtney Ramey, Jase Febres, Brock Cunningham
  • Incoming Transfers:  Timmy Allen (April 13), Devin Askew (Apr 13), Christian Bishop (April 16)
  • Incoming freshmen:  Jaylon Tyson (#36 National)
  • Yet to commit: Dylan Disu (April 26), Avery Benson (June 5), Tre Mitchell (June 15), Marcus Carr (July 17), Tristen Lincon (July 24)
  • Outgoing Transfers:  Donovan Williams, Royce Hamm, Kamaka Hepa, Gerald Liddell 
  • NBA Early Entries: Kai Jones (#19 pick), Greg Brown (#43 pick), Jericho Sims (#58 pick), Matt Coleman (undrafted) 
  • Decommits:  Tamar Bates (#30 National), David Joplin (#124 National), Keeyan Itejere (#156 National)

In 2022 at this time:

• Returning players:  Christian Bishop (Mar 22), Timmy Allen (Apr 20)
  • Incoming Transfers:  Sir'Jabari Rice (Apr 19)
  • Incoming freshmen: Dillon Mitchell (#5 National), Arterio Morris (#19 National), Rowan Brumbaugh (#93 National), Cole Bott (UR), Gavin Perryman (UR)
  • Yet to commit:  Tyrese Hunter (May 20)
  • Outgoing Transfers:  Courtney Ramey, Tre Mitchell, Devin Askew, Jaylon Tyson 
  • NBA Early Entries:  *Dylan Disu (Withdrew May 31), *Marcus Carr (Withdrew April 22), Andrew Jones (undrafted)
  • Decommits:  none

Currently:

• Returning players:  Brock Cunningham, Alex Anamekwe
  • Incoming Transfers:  none yet
  • Incoming freshmen:  Ron Holland (#5 National)
  • Potential commits: Max Abmas (Oral Roberts), Kaden Shedrick (Virginia), Ze'Rik Onyema (UTEP)
  • Outgoing Transfers:  Arterio Morris, Rowan Brumbaugh
  • NBA Early Entries: *Dillon Mitchell (likely top-25 pick), *Tyrese Hunter (probably back), *Dylan Disu (probably back)
  • Decommits:  AJ Johnson (#20 National)

Basically, at this point last year we had two solid known returning players, an unranked incoming transfer, and a bunch of freshmen.  Then we got Disu and Carr back and added Hunter.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/18/2023 at 4:12 PM, Pancho said:

The baggage of the dv stuff combined it’s kansas doesn’t need to take someone that needs work because they are kansas. Terio is going to be great but he needs some fine tuning. 

Not from what I’ve seen, but I’m behind a bit. 

Not sure what it is about KU's history that makes you think they care about optics at fucking all.  And adding Terio to their team doesn't even make a ripple when you see what happened at Bama.  I doubt Terio was lacking for offers from big programs other than KU.  As has been pointed out many times on Surly, we're one of just a few big-time programs/athletic departments with a patrician attitude. 

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Those of us reacting to all the negativity are likely the "pussies" in this scenario, so stop being a bully and show a little sympathy and compassion for your surly snowflake brethren.  Texas Men's Basketball just had its best season since the prime Barnes era, and you'd think we were bounced by Abilene Christian in the first round again or were planning our NIT parade. 

No one is saying that you cannot be critical or negative at all.  Just for the love of dog, do you have to be such an over the top constant champion of doom?  You've spent way more time being critical of things that may or may not actually result in the program being unsuccessful that you did celebrating what it just accomplished.  We know what Terry's record was at Fresno and UTEP.  We understand the reasons he was hired and that he most likely was not the best candidate available.  We know that his first month since being named Head Coach has not been full of as many positives as most of us would like.  We really do know these things.  You can stop trying to convince us.

Look, I know you'll find this hard to believe, but most of us were as excited about Beard and what we expected him to accomplish here as you were.  We were all as shocked and devastated when his personal life no longer allowed him to be the coach.  It sucks, but he is gone.  In spite of your constant claims to the contrary, no one truly thinks Terry brings everything to the table that Beard did.  Still, Terry is the coach we have, and all the criticism and negativity is not going to allow Beard to come back or immediately result in a replacement that you might find more palatable.  Why is it so wrong to give Terry a chance to do the job, have a little hope that he might exceed expectations, and wait to see if he actually fails before we crucify him for not being Beard, Barnes, or even Derka? 

In these times of domestic violence, mass shootings, pandemics, war, inflation, global warming, bigotry, hatred, hunger, and countless other actual shitty things that matter, is it so wrong to want to read a little positive news from time to time?   We are all fans of the best university on the planet.  Is it not possible to find a little common ground that doesn't pile on to the misery that life is already giving us? 

i just don't even know what exactly it is that you're talking about here, or what point you think you're making. nobody is rubbing anything in anyone's face. nobody is going out of their way to make anyone else here feel bad. the only person here to do that was/is closetohumping when he spent the entire tourney maniacally seeking out fights with anyone who'd ever questioned RT in any way. everything else here is literally just people reacting to the things that are happening with the program, and what's happening is that we're losing players and coaches who we thought were going to be a part of the program for next year. again, what do you want us to do? celebrate losing these players and coaches? i just have zero clue what you expect Texas Basketball fans to do when all of the news that's coming out is negative. 

this is so simple it's maddening: if all of the news surrounding this program was positive, then reactions to said news would be positive, and nobody would have an issue with that. instead, we're losing people who were supposed to be key pieces of the team next year left and right-that's bad news; that's upsetting to people. why are we not allowed to be upset about that? and what, specifically, has anyone here done to go out of their way to "be such an over the top constant champion of doom?" the answer is of course is 'nothing'.

you somehow don't realize this, but you're in here telling people that reacting appropriately to bad news regarding the program is not acceptable. you're characterizing completely normal reactions to bad news as if it's wildly inappropriate, or as if those of us who are bummed that our 6'6", 5* PG is leaving the team don't have a right to post our feelings on the matter because to do so is to "be such an over the top constant champion of doom".  seriously? that's just total BS. if we aren't allowed to be upset by bad news, then how do figure you aren't gatekeepong what people are allowed to post here? 

when max abmas commits to Texas, are we allowed to be excited? of course we are. it would be great news, and naturally Texas Basketball fans should be excited about that.  however, if he instead commits to KSU, are we allowed to say anything about that? are we allowed to react to that news? nope. not according to several posters here.

because to do so, to be upset about that news, apparently constitutes "being such an over the top constant champion of doom." i'm sorry, but i'm going to need several specific examples of this supposed occurance to have any idea as to what you're talking about. all i have seen here is people responding appropriately to the bad news that's been plaguing this program over the last several weeks. absolutely nothing more. 

Edited by shadow_operative

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

Basically, at this point last year we had two solid known returning players, an unranked incoming transfer, and a bunch of freshmen.  Then we got Disu and Carr back and added Hunter.

Three returning players. Bishop, Allen and Cunningham.

Thanks for putting that together. Interesting.

captain obvious alert, but the glaring difference between the last two years and today is that the last two years we had one of the best head coaches, recruiters, and roster builders in america running the show. i know this is obvious response, but it's the thing that doesn't make this an apples to apples comparison.  

further, at this point last year and the year prior we had both recruits and transfers all competing to hop aboard the Texas Train. now this year we are losing guys left and right, including guys we all expected to return for this year. the trajectories are not only not the same, they are opposing.

so when you post those stats and say, "make of this what you will", what i make of it is that we are clearly in worse shape today than we were at this point over each of the last two years, and that being in a (supposedly) similar place to where we were at this point in '21 and '22 does not portend similar results to those of the last two seasons.

two years ago we were in dire shape around this time, but chris beard did his magic and fixed that. last year at this time we were in totally fine shape, with really only tyrese hunter yet to be added to the team, and again, chris beard was still in charge, and the trajectory of the program was skyrocketing. this year we've lost beard and two of his most important assistants, we've lost maybe 80-85% of our production from last year, we've lost a 5* PG commit, and we're just straight up trending up downward, which is the total opposite of where we were at this time last year. the whole tenor of that post seems to be "hey we're essentially in the same shape as we were the last two years", and i just don't agree with that at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

and i just have to say, that whenever my honest to god opinion of what's going on with Texas Basketball is all sunshine and roses then everybody loves me and loves every interminable, uber positive post that i make.

then, when my same honest to god opinions of Texas Basketball are not as positive, suddenly i'm this huge problem poster that's causing distress to so many. 

all i can say is that nothing about me changes- whether i see it as good or bad, im going to give my honest opinion about it, and i'm going to engage with anyone who wants to engage right back with me. if you can't handle it whenever my opinion isn't positive, then please put me on ignore and understand that it's not personal, and i don't have any agenda to make anyone miserable. i'm simply giving my opinions on the program, same as i always have. 

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the whole tenor of that post seems to be "hey we're essentially in the same shape as we were the last two years", and i just don't agree with that at all. 

My main takeaways from the data:

1) We are in worse shape today than in previous years. Full stop.

2) Every year there are losses, even when we had one of the best salesmen in the world running the program. Kids leave early. Kids look for greener pastures. 

3) Things can change a lot in a hurry.  Today the roster looks bleak, but by June we could have Tyrese Hunter, Max Abmas, Dylan Disu, Kaden Shedrick, Ron Holland, Brock Cunningham, Ze’Rik Onyema and other supporting pieces. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Portal update from Gerry

Word out of the Dallas AAU world is that Texas is thought to be in a good spot for Oral Roberts transfer guard Max Abmas. Abmas and Texas have stayed in contact, and it's been positive. Hearing Kansas State didn't go in home, or hasn't yet. 

Texas and Kadin Shedrick have had very good conversations. That one should be trending Texas over Missouri. Not for certain he makes the Duke visit. If he does, that could change the course.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Portal update from Gerry

Word out of the Dallas AAU world is that Texas is thought to be in a good spot for Oral Roberts transfer guard Max Abmas. Abmas and Texas have stayed in contact, and it's been positive. Hearing Kansas State didn't go in home, or hasn't yet. 

Texas and Kadin Shedrick have had very good conversations. That one should be trending Texas over Missouri. Not for certain he makes the Duke visit. If he does, that could change the course.

Why wouldn’t he visit Duke?  Objectively it’s close to home and the best academic and basketball school

19 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Why is the kid texting me saying Disu coming back? I don’t see it anywhere. 

He did post a video on instagram yesterday but it didn’t say anything explicitly… had very “coming back” vibes though, but he hasn’t said it yet 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CrWJYZLtOkg/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Why wouldn’t he visit Duke?  Objectively it’s close to home and the best academic and basketball school

They don't have room with Filipowski coming back.

Gerry mentioned a short time ago he was feeling good.

Edited by HtownHorn

Updated:

• Returning players:  Brock Cunningham, Alex Anamekwe, Dylan Disu (Apr 23)
  • Incoming Transfers:  none yet
  • Incoming freshmen:  Ron Holland (#5 National)
  • Potential commits: Max Abmas (Oral Roberts), Kaden Shedrick (Virginia), Ze'Rik Onyema (UTEP)
  • Outgoing Transfers:  Arterio Morris, Rowan Brumbaugh
  • NBA Early Entries: *Dillon Mitchell (likely top-25 pick), *Tyrese Hunter (probably back)
  • Decommits:  AJ Johnson (#20 National)

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Portal update from Gerry

Narrator: Shedrick did not make the Duke visit

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2023 at 7:53 PM, shadow_operative said:

21 years on HF/shaggy/surly and i've learned that some people just straight up do not believe in being critical of any facet of the program, and they all see themselves as superior fans, and look down on us "pussies" who have the temerity to be upset when things don't go well. in their world, you celebrate when things go well, but you do NOT say anything critical or negative about the team/coach/players, no matter what. these people will never change. they will live in their self deluded reality forever. NCAA- No Criticism At All. 

yeah it is amazing to some people that we get upset when our AD does stupid shit like hiring Rodney Terry to be the head coach at Texas.  It was a comfort hire with zero reasoning other than we don't want to make the basketball people mad and we have to save the recruiting class and make sure young guys don't transfer.

Gerry already gave the HI thread at 6:30, so this is good news for Texas tonight. Texas is getting Abmas soon and will likely pull the UTEP big as well. Then we need 2 G/F wings to fill out the rotation. All the consternation from the two board idiots is likely going to blow up in their faces in a matter of a week. Can't say I am surprised considering how bad Derka called the Sam Ehlinger tenure.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

says he talked to Disu a couple of days ago and is excited to be playing alongside him this year. also says he talked to timmy allen and some other guys from the team and that they all loved Texas and RT, said guys couldn't say enough good things about RT/the program. 🤘🏼 

• Hook 'Em 8