Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

The MItchell news sounds perfectly reasonable to me. All these FR 5 stars have inflated egos and think they're better than they are. 

Morris transferred in big part because he didn't get enough playing time. Mitchell likely entered the draft and a got a dose of reality that he's at best an early to mid 2nd round pick. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

I don't think we need both if Mitchell returns. Guys like Cunningham and Holland can also play the 4. 

Then you already have Mitchell, Disu, and Shedrick getting substantial minutes at the 4 and 5. I also find it really difficult to believe the UTEP big would come here if Mitchell, Disu and Shedrick were on the roster. Minutes would be limited. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i can count the number of freshman guards i've seen defend with his fervor and competency on one hand. that plus his explosive first step, hops, and what's already a decent shot make him a really impactful loss that will be hard to replace. cases like his are the biggest bummer of today's cbb world.

His ex-girlfriend says he's got a great left hook too!

Looking at how the minutes might shake out if Mitchell and Hunter come back and we add Abmas.  I'm not seeing how we have room for Onyema or any other 3/4/5 in that scenario.  We really need to add another capable guard.

I could see it looking something like this, with the orange highlighting the starters. (Note that we generally average ~220 minutes when you account for missed games due to injury and such). 

image.png.8041541870ef83382976a01413b2deba.png

If Mitchell doesn't come back and we fail to add another guard, then we will need Onyema.  We would also need Hunter and Abmas to log pretty big minutes (about what Carr did last year).  Brock would also have to pick up the load at SG.  I don't think this team would be bad, but it really only goes 7 deep.  

image.png.79c0dcf3509d2b5ec35cca8104f852af.png

5 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Tyrin Lawrence would be a good option. He was really good at the end of last year. He's also 6'4 so he's a bigger guard to go with potentially smaller guards in Abmas and Hunter. 

He played a year with Disu so maybe there's a connection. 

we might get tyrin lannister on this team? oh hell yeah. what about The Mountain? we could use another big.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Tyrin Lawrence would be a good option. He was really good at the end of last year. He's also 6'4 so he's a bigger guard to go with potentially smaller guards in Abmas and Hunter. 

He played a year with Disu so maybe there's a connection. 

He's athletic too. RT should be all over him imo

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There is zero chance Texas is going into next season with only 2 guards. They will add somebody else. 

Gerry said they will likely add 3 more after Abmas. One being a big, either Mitchell or the kids from UTEP and 2 big guard or wings.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hope he comes here but Baylor jumping in just pissed me off. Fucking tang and drew. The longer this plays out the more worries I get...

tang and drew combined will most likely make sure Abmas doesn't end up at Texas.  They have to hurt RT's recruiting right now so Texas doesn't gain any more traction and become a consistent Top 10 basketball program.  

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

tang and drew combined will most likely make sure Abmas doesn't end up at Texas.  They have to hurt RT's recruiting right now so Texas doesn't gain any more traction and become a consistent Top 10 basketball program.  

So, Tang would rather him go to Baylor, which checks notes, plays in the Big 12. 

5 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Dude played pretty well as a freshman and won WAC RoY.  Decent size.  Shot >40% from 3. Low turnovers.  Seems like a good add.  That said, UTA was 11-21 last year. I would prefer to get players from winning programs if possible. 

Wonder if Chris Ogden started his recruitment to UTA when he was there.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Dude played pretty well as a freshman and won WAC RoY.  Decent size.  Shot >40% from 3. Low turnovers.  Seems like a good add.  That said, UTA was 11-21 last year. I would prefer to get players from winning programs if possible. 

Wonder if Chris Ogden started his recruitment to UTA when he was there.  

Question I would have with a kid like him is what kind of minutes is he expecting at his next stop? He played 30 minutes a game for UTA as a freshman. A lot of guys like that aren't looking for bench roles at their next stop, and that might be what we are offering depending on how a few things shake out. Maybe he can thrive in a 6th man type role and play 23-25 minutes a game.

Edited by Hookem2147

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Question I would have with a kid like him is what kind of minutes is he expecting at his next stop? He played 30 minutes a game for UTA as a freshman. A lot of guys like that aren't looking for bench roles at their next stop, and that might be what we are offering depending on how a few things shake out. Maybe he can thrive in a 6th man type role and play 23-25 minutes a game.

Third guard isn’t really a bench role. We can sell starter minutes to another guard. Even if Abmas comes and Hunter stays AND both stay healthy all year, he could easily average 25 mpg. If either doesn’t happen or a guy gets injured, then he’d be a full time starter. We should be able to land another high level guard on top of Abmas and Hunter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sell him on the Rice role as 6th man off the bench, playing 25 mpg, if we land Abmas and Hunter returns. A starting role if we miss one. Though Rodney could also be selling him on a 3 guard starting lineup with Disu and Shedrick, versus last year’s 2 guard starting lineup. 

I like his numbers too. He’s a good option, along with the Vandy kid 

25 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It is 100% realistic for tang, mills, and Baylor to scheme something to screw over Texas. A 3rd grader could use logic and reasoning to see why, especially considering the common denominator.

What?!? Coaches from the same coaching tree/Big 12 would never collude to screw over Texas.

*checks 2008 BCS standings*

Burnie Burns Conspiracy GIF by Rooster Teeth

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

I would think the sell is playing at UT vs UTA.  IMO, he probably will be in our rotation as we have....checks notes......nobody at the moment.

Though Rodney could also be selling him on a 3 guard starting lineup with Disu and Shedrick, versus last year’s 2 guard starting lineup. 

In my opinion, the only way that Ron Holland isn't in our starting lineup is if Dillon Mitchell is back. And even then, it will be a very interesting decision who starts at the 3. 

I could see a lot of minutes with a lineup like:  Hunter + Abmas + Holland + Mitchell + Disu.  That is a mobile, athletic, fast AF team that would be a nightmare to match up against on both ends of the court.

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, HookEm said:

In my opinion, the only way that Ron Holland isn't in our starting lineup is if Dillon Mitchell is back. And even then, it will be a very interesting decision who starts at the 3. 

I could see a lot of minutes with a lineup like:  Hunter + Abmas + Holland + Mitchell + Disu.  That is a mobile, athletic, fast AF team that would be a nightmare to match up against on both ends of the court.

That line up screws

• Hook 'Em 1

I like that he has 3 years left. Get some player continuity up in here. 

Right now we basically have zero guards.  We need 3 of Tyrese Hunter, Max Abmas, Tyrin Lawrence, Chendall Weaver.  Any three out of that four would be fantastic.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

It is 100% realistic for tang, mills, and Baylor to scheme something to screw over Texas. A 3rd grader could use logic and reasoning to see why, especially considering the common denominator.

Sure, but it still seems awfully presumptuous to assume HtownHorn should get it. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Holland, Disu, Shedrick is the front court. Holland is almost certainly the reason Mitchell will transfer when he gets his pro feedback