Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

When Chris Beard got here, if we had the the chance to bring in either Bob Donewald or Frank Haith, I'm curious what the consensus opinion would have been. I personally would go with Haith, but both are great options.

The last team that Donewald has stayed with for more than 3 years is....  <checks notes>  ???   <double checks notes>  

Turns out he has never stayed with a team for more than 3 years in his 28 year career and has 18 stops.

• Hook 'Em 1

i've heard shedrick referred to as a "top 3 big" repeatedly on this forum, so i just assumed he was a top 10-12 overall players. when looking at On3's rankings however they've got him at #40 for this year's transfer class. 
IMG_0755.thumb.jpeg.c0e9138986d162854d628a146eedda8e.jpeg
that's not the kind of player i'd been led to believe we are getting. what kind of impact is he supposed to have next year? 

In fairness, though improved over the dark ages of recruiting coverage, those ratings are somewhat subjective and they cannot fully account for factors like player growth/improvement, competition, coaching plans that might not be the best fit for a player, and environment/personnel conflicts

The portal different between 5 and 50 can be deceiving … depends on what you are looking for I guess and who is doing the rating

3 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

In fairness, though improved over the dark ages of recruiting coverage, those ratings are somewhat subjective and they cannot fully account for factors like player growth/improvement, competition, coaching plans that might not be the best fit for a player, and environment/personnel conflicts

The portal different between 5 and 50 can be deceiving … depends on what you are looking for I guess and who is doing the rating

Also feels like UVA fans have the same angst about him leaving as we do Morris. 

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He looks like a project, skinny as fock.  But we could use a big body.  Our teams have been short. 

So a lot of potential, flashes of high upside, fans excited about his next year ability after another offseason of development. Seemingly didn’t mesh with the head coach though. Does sound about the same as what has been said about Morris

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i've heard shedrick referred to as a "top 3 big" repeatedly on this forum, so i just assumed he was a top 10-12 overall players. when looking at On3's rankings however they've got him at #40 for this year's transfer class. 

As you know there are a lot of recruiting sites and they have different opinions.  I'm don't think many expect Shedrick to be a star, but he is a fantastic add to start at center alongside Disu (or Holland / Mitchell / Cunningham if we go small).

Here are the rankings from some of the other sites:

• 247 - #14 overall, #4 Center
  • USAToday - #20 overall 
  • On3 - #40 overall, #7 Center
  • Fansided - #41 overall
  • Tarheel Times- #7 overall (based mainly on adjusted efficiency)
  • Rivals - #48 overall, #7 Center

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

As you know there are a lot of recruiting sites and they have different opinions.  I'm don't think many expect Shedrick to be a star, but he is a fantastic add to start at center alongside Disu (or Holland / Mitchell / Cunningham if we go small).

Here are the rankings from some of the other sites:

• 247 - #14 overall, #4 Center
  • USAToday - #20 overall 
  • On3 - #40 overall, #7 Center
  • Fansided - #41 overall
  • Tarheel Times- #7 overall (based mainly on adjusted efficiency)
  • Rivals - #48 overall, #7 Center

I think this is enough to be Texas good

Do we even know for sure that Donewald is gone?  He is still listed as an assistant coach at Texas on all sources I can find.  I likely missed something, but the only indication of him leaving that I recall seeing is a link to a post from Gerry that he was no longer confident in his return. 

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Max Abmas is a better scorer than anyone we had on the roster last year. You have to go back a ways to find any guards at UT who score as well as he does AND as efficiently as he does. Abrams (funny the spelling is so close) is about as close as we have, but he wasn't nearly as versatile of a player.  

And yes, I realize that he was doing this in the Summit League. But he also did in in the NCAA Tourney. And he was doing it with very little help, so the other defense could completely key on him.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he averages ~20 points and also gets close to 6 assists per game next year.

Best UT guard scoring seasons:

• Max Abmas ('21) - 24.5 PTS, 3.8 AST, 3.4 TRB, 42.1 3P%, 63.1 TS% - NCAA All-Region Team  (Oral Roberts)
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Marcus Carr ('21) - 19.4 PTS, 4.9 AST, 4.0 TRB, 37.1 3P%, 51.7 TS% - Big 10 3rd Team  (Wisconsin)
  • Tyrese Hunter ('22) - 11.0 PTS, 4.9 AST, 3.5 TRB, 27.4 3P%, 47.5 TS% - Big 12 RoY  (Iowa State)
  • Sir'Jabari Rice ('23) - 13.0 PTS, 2.0 AST, 3.5 TRB, 37.1 3P%, 61.0 TS% - Big 12 6MoY  (Texas)
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Matt Coleman ('21) - 13.2 PTS, 4.0 AST, 3.5 TRB, 37.7 3P%, 60.2 TS% - Big 12 3rd Team
  • Isaiah Taylor ('16) - 15.0 PTS, 5.0 AST, 2.8 TRB, 31.1 3P%, 52.5 TS% - Big 12 1st Team
  • Myck Kabongo ('13) - 14.6 PTS, 5.5 AST, 5.0 TRB, 29.6 3P%, 54.9 TS%
  • J'Covan Brown ('12) - 20.1 PTS, 3.8 AST, 3.4 TRB, 36.9 3P%, 55.0 TS% - Big 12 1st Team
  • AJ Abrams ('09) - 16.6 PTS, 1.3 AST, 2.2 TRB, 39.6 3P%, 55.7 TS% - Big 12 2nd Team   
  • DJ Augustin ('08) - 19.2 PTS, 5.8 AST, 2.9 TRB, 38.1 3P%, 55.7 TS% - 1st Team All-American

Carr was Minnesota, wasn't he?

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

all of the "good fans" had to choose this exact moment to start a bunch of shit with the bad fans. LMAO, the lack of self awareness is stunning.

You apparently lack sufficient "self awareness" to realize my post had absolutely zero to do with you....

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Morris has had one foot out the door since January. Considering he’ll likely end up at DePaul or Ole Miss, that should tell you what the cbb world thinks of him. 

Not so sure I agree 100% there with your policework, U.

But I guess we'll know in a few hours.

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He's aight with not starting?

Considering how RT used our top 3 guards last year at 33.9 mpg, 30.2 mpg and 25.3 mpg, it’s not a drastic difference in starting or coming off the bench in the Jabari Rice role.  Rice also played over 25mpg in 21 of 38 games and quite a few at or over 30 mpg. 

He still played 31, 27, 36, 34, 36, 29, 28, 22, 28 in our March games. 

I think RT’s ability to get our top 3 guards quality minutes last year is good evidence he can handle it again. And this is still assuming Hunter returns….

And Weaver only played 29.5 mpg, so he may average 3-4mpg less than last year off the bench? Not a huge deal, really. Clearly RT’s pitch has him very interested. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Starting is a bit of a red herring … I’d rather come off the bench, get 25 mins of PT, and close out a game than start both halves and get 10-15 mins

A third guard will get plenty of minutes next year and could well start a few games.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Weaver would be a great get. There is no guarantee Hunter returns.  We need some quality guards - and he is another efficient one averaging >40% from 3. Plus at 6'3 he gives us a little more size - and he seems to be a good rebounder.

Hopefully we are on the phone with Tyrin Lawrence as well.  I doubt he would come off the bench, but he would be an A+ backup plan if Tyrese Hunter bolts. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Considering how RT used our top 3 guards last year at 33.9 mpg, 30.2 mpg and 25.3 mpg, it’s not a drastic difference in starting or coming off the bench in the Jabari Rice role.  Rice also played over 25mpg in 21 of 38 games and quite a few at or over 30 mpg. 

He still played 31, 27, 36, 34, 36, 29, 28, 22, 28 in our March games. 

I think RT’s ability to get our top 3 guards quality minutes last year is good evidence he can handle it again. And this is still assuming Hunter returns….

And Weaver only played 29.5 mpg, so he may average 3-4mpg less than last year off the bench? Not a huge deal, really. Clearly RT’s pitch has him very interested. 

24 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Starting is a bit of a red herring … I’d rather come off the bench, get 25 mins of PT, and close out a game than start both halves and get 10-15 mins

A third guard will get plenty of minutes next year and could well start a few games.

He also was just a Freshman this past year, he’s got 3 years of eligibility left. You can sell him on starting in the future since Abmas is a one year rental.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

If they get Weaver and Hunter they will only add 2 more players, likely one defensive minded reserve G who ideally can also handle the ball, and one swing player; Mitchell would be ideal for that 2nd spot.  They have 4 walk-ons already lined up so that would make 14 players on the roster.

G Hunter*/TBD*

G Abmas/Weaver*/Prince

G Mitchell*/Anamekwe/Perryman

F Disu/Cunningham/Bott

F Shedrick/Holland/Clark

That roster is arguably as good as the one that just went to the EE.

Why the fuck would we want to keep 4 walk-ons on the roster if there are better, scholarship-worthy guys still available in the portal? I gotta figure with all those $15 beers and $20 cocktails they're selling in the moody, we're good for the full allotment of 13 scholarships. Its one thing if we simply dont have better options, but if Texas basketball can attract better talent to Austin than Prince, Perryman, Bott, and Clark .... there's plenty of other schools where those dudes can sit on the bench. 

18 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Why the fuck would we want to keep 4 walk-ons on the roster if there are better, scholarship-worthy guys still available in the portal? I gotta figure with all those $15 beers and $20 cocktails they're selling in the moody, we're good for the full allotment of 13 scholarships. Its one thing if we simply dont have better options, but if Texas basketball can attract better talent to Austin than Prince, Perryman, Bott, and Clark .... there's plenty of other schools where those dudes can sit on the bench. 

Because guys coming here probably want to play basketball. 

Clark could be a good player in a year or two that gives spot minutes - he's much better than a typical walk on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Because guys coming here probably want to play basketball. 

Clark could be a good player in a year or two that gives spot minutes - he's much better than a typical walk on. 

What the fuck does that matter, lulz? If there are 10 walk-ons that want to play basketball/chase pussy in Austin and could be good players in a year or two, does that mean Texas has to drop down to 4 scholarship players? Guys on our bench should be on the bench because they are better players than anyone else we can recruit. So if your argument is that Prince, Perryman, Bott, and Clark, are better than anyone else we can attract to Austin, so be it. I just dont believe that. 

6 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Yeah, when the games were on I'm paying close attention even in Nov/Dec. 

I just can't bring myself to pay close attention to recruiting. It's such a shit show. Big time prospects seem so exciting then if they come in and don't perform up to their recruiting expectations they immediately look to bail. Almost every one of these kids has their heads filled with the nonsense they should be stars from day 1 as a freshman and it's just so damn stupid. 

Morris and Mitchell aren’t recruits….

9 minutes ago, Blotto said:

What the fuck does that matter, lulz? If there are 10 walk-ons that want to play basketball/chase pussy in Austin and could be good players in a year or two, does that mean Texas has to drop down to 4 scholarship players? Guys on our bench should be on the bench because they are better players than anyone else we can recruit. So if your argument is that Prince, Perryman, Bott, and Clark, are better than anyone else we can attract to Austin, so be it. I just dont believe that. 

So you want the guys playing 0 minutes next season to be slightly better than the guys that got 0 minutes this season?

It's more important for the end of the bench guys to be high character, locker room glue guys that work hard in practice than to actually be good at basketball. If they were better at basketball they would be playing somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

So you want the guys playing 0 minutes next season to be slightly better than the guys that got 0 minutes this season?

It's more important for the end of the bench guys to be high character, locker room glue guys than to actually be good at basketball. 

And like I said - guys like Clark and Perryman can actually play a little bit and could play significant minutes in D2 or minutes off the bench for a small D1 school.

Edited by ztejas

28 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The reason that you may give a walk on a scholarship is if you have any extras available. Say at the last minute a scholarship kid leaves, the coaches may want to reward the walk on with that extra scholarship. Walk ons receiving a scholarship are not taking one away from another player. It more of a reward for someone who is really working hard and may be able to contribute when an extra scholarship is available. And sometimes a walk on can surprise and be a valuable asset to the team..

Just now, realgreggym said:

The reason that you may give a walk on a scholarship is if you have any extras available. Say at the last minute a scholarship kid leaves, the coaches may want to reward the walk on with that extra scholarship. Walk ons receiving a scholarship are not taking one away from another player. It more of a reward for someone who is really working hard and may be able to contribute when an extra scholarship is available. And sometimes a walk on can surprise and be a valuable asset to the team..

I get all that. And I already said "if we cant recruit players better than Prince, Perryman, Bott, and Clark for those last 4 spots on our bench, so be it". What I was questioning was the statement that seemed to indicate that because we had already identified 4 walkons, we only had 10 other spots available on the roster, which seems ass fucking backwards to me. Get the best 14 players that you can, and hand out 13 scholarships. Maybe I'm wrong and the all the best cbb programs like to max out at 10 scholarships. 

Whatever, with the Holland news, this program has much bigger problems than the end of the bench.

18 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

ideally the meltdown would stop now, but i know this site better than that...

18 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Abmas and Shedrick were our top 2 portal targets and we landed both.

Patience is a virtue that this board does not have. This shit only took a single month. RT was officially hired on March 27. 

17 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Past 48 hours? Lol, more like past 2 weeks. 

Sometimes this board amazes me. It's been obvious for weeks that Texas led for arguably the top guard (Abmas) and top 3 big (Shedrick) and some on this board acted like portal recruiting was a dumpster fire. You can't make it up. 

Your sanctimonious posts look like really bad takes now, given yet another major piece of bad news. After such a long string of bad news, there is nothing wrong with people questioning whether Terry was a bad hire. There was a lot of bad news. And I say this as someone who was supportive of Strong, Herman, Mackovic, and Kaiser Bob for far too long. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

Your sanctimonious posts look like really bad takes now, given yet another major piece of bad news. After such a long string of bad news, there is nothing wrong with people questioning whether Terry was a bad hire. There was a lot of bad news. And I say this as someone who was supportive of Strong, Herman, Mackovic, and Kaiser Bob for far too long. 

Not that I don't agree that this looks awful for RT, but your timing is convenient.  Not surprised though.