Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

from last season:

•17 pts, 3 reb, 2 blk, 2 stl vs Baylor

•15 pts, 13 reb (5 oreb), 4 blk vs Furman in NCAA Tourney 

•16 pts, 3 reb, 1 blk vs U of H

shot .794 from the FT line as well. he's clearly got some talent and he has two years of eligibility. looks like a really solid signing. 

And that’s playing in a system with the pace of a pack of snails. The numbers will only go up with increased touches/possessions.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

god i wish Terio hadn't left. Abmas, Hunter, and Morris would have been an A+ backcourt. damn shame. just hope he doesn't go to KU, and that we do indeed get Abmas. 

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

And that’s playing in a system with the pace of a pack of snails. The numbers will only go up with increased touches/possessions.

scoring 16 in a UVA vs U of H game is like scoring 30 in a regular game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

Man…if Morris and Johnson were on the roster, we would be salty as hell. We still could be really good if Abmas comes, just will be lacking in depth.

Losing Morris really hurts. Can't fathom why a few posters considered it nbd. Dude had an elite first step and was showing out on the defensive end.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

If Shedrick plays well with Disu, grabs a bunch of tough boards and guards the rim, some of this year's weaknesses quickly become positives. Still not sure why he saw reduced minutes late, but water under the bridge now. Hook 'em. 

https://virginia.sportswar.com/message_board/basketball/

7 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Quite the discussion going on over there. Mostly what caught my eye was Shedrick having the team's best +/- but not getting a lot of minutes later in the season. So the guy's point about wanting more "freedom" might mean how much he plays, how he's used when he plays...or some of both. Regardless, happy to see what he can do for us. 

25 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Losing Morris really hurts. Can't fathom why a few posters considered it nbd. Dude had an elite first step and was showing out on the defensive end.

i can count the number of freshman guards i've seen defend with his fervor and competency on one hand. that plus his explosive first step, hops, and what's already a decent shot make him a really impactful loss that will be hard to replace. cases like his are the biggest bummer of today's cbb world.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i can count the number of freshman guards i've seen defend with his fervor and competency on one hand. that plus his explosive first step, hops, and what's already a decent shot make him a really impactful loss that will be hard to replace. cases like his are the biggest bummer of today's cbb world.

Seems a little overstated. He was a top 20 recruit that has no NBA interest after his freshman year. He averaged 4 points a game and shot 41% from the field and 33% from 3. Not to mention a domestic violence charge hanging over his head.

He scored 6 points total for us in 4 NCAA tournament games. 

15 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Seems a little overstated. He was a top 20 recruit that has no NBA interest after his freshman year. He averaged 4 points a game and shot 41% from the field and 33% from 3. Not to mention a domestic violence charge hanging over his head.

i'll make the same point i've made on this subject before: just look at the difference in KJ Adams from year one to year two. year one he averaged 1 ppg and barely played on a KU team that was deep and talented and won everything. the damn g league had no interest in him, never mind the nba. year two he's the most improved  player in America and a key part of a KU team that outright won the toughest conference in recent memory.

Terio has serious ability and potential, he just didn't get to showcase it, or more importantly, play and grow last year. this is not another devin askew we're talking about here. if he ends up at KU (which is where he should go) he could be first team all league as early as this year. he's that good. 

Edited by shadow_operative

32 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

He also wants to play PG, and Texas didn't want him to play that role, which is why he is leaving. KU isn't going to let him play PG either, especially with Harris returning for his Covid season.

Arterio's first step was breath-taking.  First time you saw it, it was "ohhhh . . .".  Very few players are that explosive.  Combine that athleticism with his defensive mindset, and it's not hard to see a burgeoning all-conference type of player.  Losing him absolutely sucks.

• Hook 'Em 3

Updated:

• Returning players:  Brock Cunningham, Alex Anamekwe, Dylan Disu (Apr 23)
  • Incoming Transfers:  Kaden Shedrick (Apr 23)
  • Incoming freshmen:  Ron Holland (#5 National)
  • Potential commits: Max Abmas (Oral Roberts), Ze'Rik Onyema (UTEP)
  • Outgoing Transfers:  Arterio Morris, Rowan Brumbaugh
  • NBA Early Entries: *Dillon Mitchell (likely top-25 pick), *Tyrese Hunter (probably back)
  • Decommits:  AJ Johnson (#20 National)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

He also wants to play PG, and Texas didn't want him to play that role, which is why he is leaving. KU isn't going to let him play PG either, especially with Harris returning for his Covid season.

That and Morris was likely going to be the 3rd guard if Hunter returns and Abmas commits. 

No chance that Morris was going to be willing to come off the bench again. Not saying I wanted to lose Morris, but adding a guard like Abmas was always going to scare off Morris. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

That and Morris was likely going to be the 3rd guard if Hunter returns and Abmas commits. 

No chance that Morris was going to be willing to come off the bench again. Not saying I wanted to lose Morris, but adding a guard like Abmas was always going to scare off Morris. 

our best lineups this year were our three guard lineups. it wouldn't have surprised me at all to see our main lineup be Morris/Tyrese/Abmas/Disu/next best big. 

38 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

our best lineups this year were our three guard lineups. it wouldn't have surprised me at all to see our main lineup be Morris/Tyrese/Abmas/Disu/next best big. 

Our best lineup was with 3 guards but it definitely wasn't the main lineup. It looks like Terry wants to go big a good bit. I'm expecting a lot of minutes out of Holland and Cunningham at the 3. Especially if that UTEP big also commits to Texas. 

I personally think our front court is a lot better than last year. 

Disu at the end of last year > Disu for most of the season

Shedrick > Bishop. Different type players but Shedrick is a much better interior defender and rebounder.  

UTEP big provides better depth (assuming he commits)

Then at the 4, I think minutes we get out of anyone is going to be better than what we got from Mitchell last year. 

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

yeah it is amazing to some people that we get upset when our AD does stupid shit like hiring Rodney Terry to be the head coach at Texas.  It was a comfort hire with zero reasoning other than we don't want to make the basketball people mad and we have to save the recruiting class and make sure young guys don't transfer.

There are perfectly fair things to criticize but criticizing Terry for portal recruiting 2 weeks into the portal was always fucking stupid. 

Especially when arguably the top guard (Abmas) and top 3 big (Shedrick) looked like they were leaning Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Hunter, Abmas, Holland, Disu, and Shedrick is a very solid starting 5 with Cunningham as an excellent 6th man.  Hopefully Anamekwe can be a contributor.  That’s 7 players.  They will still need at least 2 more guys who can play.  Not getting Hunter or Abmas would be devastating.  

Idk what we do if Abmas doesn’t come.  Hunter is dependent of draft right?

38 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Hunter, Abmas, Holland, Disu, and Shedrick is a very solid starting 5 with Cunningham as an excellent 6th man.  Hopefully Anamekwe can be a contributor.  That’s 7 players.  They will still need at least 2 more guys who can play.  Not getting Hunter or Abmas would be devastating.  

There’s seemingly players joining the portal every damn day. We can find depth guys. But that is a solid starting 5 if we can put it together 

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I wrong in thinking that Brock could play some shooting guard for short stretches?  The last two years he has shot 43% from 3 (granted on limited volume).  He is also an underrated passer and I like the way he keeps the ball moving.  He might have problems guarding the smaller guards, but has to do that all the time anyway when we are switching.  Maybe he can work on his ball handling over the summer and give it a shot, playing an NBA PJ Tucker role.

Anamekwe is going to give us some minutes at the 3/4.  247 had him as the #15 player in the state his senior year.  It will be great to watch his development.  He definitely has the physical tools to work with.  I still don't think we will get a ton from him this year, but by next year I think he will start to be a contributor. 

It is also probably unrealistic, but I have some hope that Gavin Perryman will continue to improve and get a few minutes as the years go by.  Like his dad, he is a great shooter and may be able to give us 5 min a game this year.  He will now be in his 3rd year in the program after redshirting in 2021.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

There’s seemingly players joining the portal every damn day. We can find depth guys. But that is a solid starting 5 if we can put it together 

Comparing to last year’s roster and assuming we get Abmas and Hunter, I think they’d still be looking for 2 more players (1 backup PG and 1 role player with some size) to account for 30-35 minutes and 10-15 points per game.  I am hopeful that Anamekwe can be the 7th or 8th man.

5 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Comparing to last year’s roster and assuming we get Abmas and Hunter, I think they’d still be looking for 2 more players (1 backup PG and 1 role player with some size) to account for 30-35 minutes and 10-15 points per game.  I am hopeful that Anamekwe can be the 7th or 8th man.

I mean, the players are there. A very good Vandy guard just entered 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, the players are there. A very good Vandy guard just entered 

Tyrin Lawrence would be a good option. He was really good at the end of last year. He's also 6'4 so he's a bigger guard to go with potentially smaller guards in Abmas and Hunter. 

He played a year with Disu so maybe there's a connection. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Tyrin Lawrence would be a good option. He was really good at the end of last year. He's also 6'4 so he's a bigger guard to go with potentially smaller guards in Abmas and Hunter. 

He played a year with Disu so maybe there's a connection. 

The Memphis guard that entered is also a tall guard who shot 41% from three. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BERT said:

This morning on B&E, Erin said he's been hearing rumblings that they're starting to feel good about Mitchell maybe coming back. I don't believe that one damn bit but i guess you never know. 

I believe it. If Mitchell is hearing he's not going to be drafted high it makes perfect sense. 

• Like 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I believe it. If Mitchell is hearing he's not going to be drafted high it makes perfect sense. 

If Mitchell comes back, I guess they would pass on the UTEP big. If Mitchell can play outside the dunker position with any kind of consistency, his stock will blow up.