Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

Abmas and Shedrick were our top 2 portal targets and we landed both.

Patience is a virtue that this board does not have. This shit only took a single month. RT was officially hired on March 27. 

y'all need to stop rewriting history. it's not just you, i'm reading several posts like yours, and they are ridiculous. y'all keep acting as if nothing was happening and we were all just sitting around bitching about how RT hadn't signed anyone. in reality:

•Reilly left

•Donewald left

•AJ Johnson decommitted and went pro

•Dillon Mitchell declared for the draft with no intention of returning to Texas 

•Arterio Morris entered the portal and may very well end up at KU

HELLO. things were going poorly. negative things were happening, and there wasn't any good news to counter balance that, nothing positive to talk about or celebrate. so where do y'all get off demonizing those of us who were merely reacting appropriately to everything that was taking place?

just stop it already. stop starting fights with fellow UT fans for behaving 100% appropriately. and for the love of god quit ruining the actual celebratory moments with your whiny, holier than thou crap. "ooh, look at me, i'm such a great fan because i never say anything negative when things go poorly. instead i just start shit with fellow UT fans while we're all trying to celebrate great news." yeah you guys fucking rock. 🙄 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

If they get the UTA guard and Hunter returns, Texas will be a better team next year. Much more athletic, explosive, and better shooters.

UTEP big and Collins from Kentucky are in play for the 3rd big.

The UTA guard makes a lot of sense. He's bigger to go with 2 smaller guards. 

Everyone seems to want him though and now they have to sell him on being the 3rd guard. Although, "come be the next Jabari Rice" is a good selling point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

April ended with a bang with Shedrick, Abmas and Disu but it was a quiet and very not good month before Sunday with what Derka mentioned. There’s patience and then there’s watching people leave for 3+ weeks and no one coming in/back.  There’s a lot of relief 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

y'all need to stop rewriting history. it's not just you, i'm reading several posts like yours, and they are ridiculous. y'all keep acting as if nothing was happening and we were all just sitting around bitching about how RT hadn't signed anyone. in reality:

•Reilly left

•Donewald left

HELLO. things were going poorly. negative things were happening, and there wasn't any good news to counter balance that, nothing positive to talk about or celebrate. so where do y'all get off demonizing those of us who were merely reacting appropriately to everything that was taking place?

just stop it already. stop starting fights with fellow UT fans for behaving 100% appropriately. and for the love of god quit ruining the actual celebratory moments with your whiny, holier than thou crap. "ooh, look at me, i'm such a great fan because i never say anything negative when things go poorly. instead i just start shit with fellow UT fans while we're all trying to celebrate great news." yeah you guys fucking rock. 🙄 

Read my post and read yours and tell me which one of us is whining right now. Your ability to play victim is mesmerizing.

Nobody is demonizing you, they’re just disagreeing with you. Get over it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Read my post and read yours and tell me which one of us is whining right now. Your ability to play victim is mesmerizing.

yeah, that's a bunch of BS, particularly since nobody was even talking to me. you guys are out here shit talking nameless people en masse over the worried, negative, or critical things that have been said here over the last month. that's a fact. and today you guys have chosen the very moment that the Abmas news broke to start (re-start) this completely idiotic shit talking, and yes, demonizing. stop this stupid bullshit. every single one of you has just derka'd this thread with your petty BS.

Edited by shadow_operative

Just now, shadow_operative said:

yeah, that's a bunch of BS, particularly since nobody was even talking to me. you guys are out here shit talking nameless people en masse for the worried, negative, or critical things that have been said over the last month. those are the facts. and you guys chose the very moment that the Abmas news broke to start (re-start) this completely idiotic shit talking, and yes, demonizing. stop this stupid bullshit. every single one of you has just derka'd this thread with your petty BS.

I literally got into it with you last week about the exact same thing before Abmas and Shedrick committed. 

And I have no interest in re-litigating that with you.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

I’m shocked all the pussy quivering the past 48 hours was unwarranted. LETS GOOOOOOO

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

You done now? You titty baby ass bitch

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

ideally the meltdown would stop now, but i know this site better than that...

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Patience is a virtue that this board does not have. This shit only took a single month. RT was officially hired on March 27. 

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

No.  Terry should’ve gotten him two weeks ago

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Cope harder pussy

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

cope

we get the great news we've all been waiting for, and IMMEDIATELY this is how our "good fans" choose to react. by starting a bunch of shit with other fans. don't fucking sit here and tell me that's not what's happening @Lonestar88. because yes it. 

now then, i'm done with this stupid fucking conversation, because i do not wish to continue to participate in the further devolving of this thread. I just wanted to point out to you guys one final time that you're out here starting a bunch of shit with fellow fans for no reason, and to ask you to please stop doing that stupid shit the very moment that we get the good news we've all been waiting for. christ.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we get the great news we've all been waiting for, and IMMEDIATELY this is how our "good fans" choose to react. by starting a bunch of shit with other fans. don't fucking sit here and tell me that's not what's happening @Lonestar88. because yes it. 

now then, i'm done with this stupid fucking conversation, because i do not wish to continue to participate in the further devolving of this thread. I just wanted to point out to you guys one final time that you're out here starting a bunch of shit with fellow fans for no reason, and to ask you to please stop doing that stupid shit the very moment that we get the good news we've all been waiting for. christ.

if only we'd all spent the last month whining and bitching.  we'd all be so much happier now due to all the time we devoted to making ourselves miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

A lot of us were saying to be patient. The portal is dynamic and players get added continually. And that patience has been rewarded. No need to bicker. Let’s enjoy the fact that we have all the big pieces now. Everything else is just finding the right complementary pieces.

dance baby GIF

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

A lot of us were saying to be patient. The portal is dynamic and players get added continually. And that patience has been rewarded. No need to bicker. Let’s enjoy the fact that we have all the big pieces now. Everything else is just finding the right complementary pieces.

dance baby GIF

I mean everyone smart enough to count to five understood that Texas takes a more cautious approach to the portal than other teams, it's been this way for the last three years, and that no single decision that didn't go Texas's way was some uncoverable tragedy. Even though many preached being patient, others would use very perceived negative news that was reported about Texas as worthy proof that Terry was a bad hire. So of course, people are rightfully laughing at the moronic fucksticks that are Derka and UTEE, as their narrative for the last 5 weeks has been destroyed in less than a week.

What is even worse for the fucksticks is that Gerry mentioned in the Abmas thread that the Texas coaching isn't fucking around and to be patient, in regards, to other current and future portals.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think it's more than just being patient it's about be willing to swing big. 

Texas focused on Abmas and Shedrick when they could have settled on some lower tier portal candidates. Reality is, the tournament normally comes down to your best 7 or 8 players. 

RT is taking the right approach. Swing big and land 2 or 3 of the best portal candidates and then you can fill out the roster with secondary options. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

2 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

Just STFU and celebrate this. All you cocksuckers

I just checked in to see how things were going and just found out Morris and Mitchell are leaving. Mitchell is an idiot if he goes in the draft, he could make more as a college player with NIL next year than an undrafted althletic guy who can't guard the perimeter in the NBA nor shoot the NBA 3. 

i've heard shedrick referred to as a "top 3 big" repeatedly on this forum, so i just assumed he was a top 10-12 overall players. when looking at On3's rankings however they've got him at #40 for this year's transfer class. 

IMG_0755.thumb.jpeg.c0e9138986d162854d628a146eedda8e.jpeg

that's not the kind of player i'd been led to believe we are getting. what kind of impact is he supposed to have next year? 

Hi all,

Chendall Weaver is committed?

If i’m not wrong actual 2023-24 roster is:

starting five

Hunter (IF RETURN), Abmas, Holland, Disu, Shedrick

bench

Weaver (IF COMMITTED), Cunningham, Anamekwe

to be added

1 big guard & 1 big from TRANSFER PORTAL

1 combo guard & 1 forward from LOW RANKING RECRUITING

What do you think about this?

Thanks

Edited by JABroy

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Mitchell is an idiot if he goes in the draft, he could make more as a college player with NIL next year than an undrafted althletic guy

This is a pretty uninformed take. What kind of NIL deal do you think he would get here?

15 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Big fan of the program, huh?

Yeah, when the games were on I'm paying close attention even in Nov/Dec. 

I just can't bring myself to pay close attention to recruiting. It's such a shit show. Big time prospects seem so exciting then if they come in and don't perform up to their recruiting expectations they immediately look to bail. Almost every one of these kids has their heads filled with the nonsense they should be stars from day 1 as a freshman and it's just so damn stupid. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Just STFU and celebrate this. All you cocksuckers

I just checked in to see how things were going and just found out Morris and Mitchell are leaving. Mitchell is an idiot if he goes in the draft, he could make more as a college player with NIL next year than an undrafted althletic guy who can't guard the perimeter in the NBA nor shoot the NBA 3. 

Not sure if Mitchell was going to make millions in nil here.  

3 hours ago, JABroy said:

Hi all,

Chendall Weaver is committed?

If i’m not wrong actual 2023-24 roster is:

starting five

Hunter (IF RETURN), Abmas, Holland, Disu, Shedrick

bench

Weaver (IF COMMITTED), Cunningham, Anamekwe

to be added

1 big guard & 1 big from TRANSFER PORTAL

1 combo guard & 1 forward from LOW RANKING RECRUITING

What do you think about this?

Thanks

If they get Weaver and Hunter they will only add 2 more players, likely one defensive minded reserve G who ideally can also handle the ball, and one swing player; Mitchell would be ideal for that 2nd spot.  They have 4 walk-ons already lined up so that would make 14 players on the roster.

G Hunter*/TBD*

G Abmas/Weaver*/Prince

G Mitchell*/Anamekwe/Perryman

F Disu/Cunningham/Bott

F Shedrick/Holland/Clark

That roster is arguably as good as the one that just went to the EE.

Edited by Snake Diggity

32 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not sure if Mitchell was going to make millions in nil here.  

He's not going to make millions in the D league either. 

The NBA is a position less (with exceptions for a guy like Jokic) league where bigs have to be able to guard the perimeter and have to be able to shoot the 3. This dude has shown no ability to do either. 

The way it looks now he's a major project that could take years of hard work to develop into an acceptable NBA big. Tons of pit falls along that journey where he could completely bust out. Lots of D league time in his future. Might as well get the excitement of playing games that matter for something and with NIL some pay from someone to develop in college. 

Programs use NIL for recruiting. I'm sure someone around the country will facilitate some dollars to bring him in. 

23 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He's not going to make millions in the D league either. 

The NBA is a position less (with exceptions for a guy like Jokic) league where bigs have to be able to guard the perimeter and have to be able to shoot the 3. This dude has shown no ability to do either. 

The way it looks now he's a major project that could take years of hard work to develop into an acceptable NBA big. Tons of pit falls along that journey where he could completely bust out. Lots of D league time in his future. Might as well get the excitement of playing games that matter for something and with NIL some pay from someone to develop in college. 

Programs use NIL for recruiting. I'm sure someone around the country will facilitate some dollars to bring him in. 

Mitchell isn't a big. He's a wing. And he's a great perimeter defender for his size and age. 

He can probably become a decent 3 shooter if he works hard at it as he has good ball skills. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Mitchell isn't a big. He's a wing. And he's a great perimeter defender for his size and age. 

He can probably become a decent 3 shooter if he works hard at it as he has good ball skills. 

Great looking athlete.  I think he can stick in the league somehow if he works at it.  I hope he returns but I doubt it.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Like since last season? 

Max Abmas is a better scorer than anyone we had on the roster last year. You have to go back a ways to find any guards at UT who score as well as he does AND as efficiently as he does. Abrams (funny the spelling is so close) is about as close as we have, but he wasn't nearly as versatile of a player.  

And yes, I realize that he was doing this in the Summit League. But he also did in in the NCAA Tourney. And he was doing it with very little help, so the other defense could completely key on him.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he averages ~20 points and also gets close to 6 assists per game next year.

Best UT guard scoring seasons:

• Max Abmas ('21) - 24.5 PTS, 3.8 AST, 3.4 TRB, 42.1 3P%, 63.1 TS% - NCAA All-Region Team  (Oral Roberts)
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Marcus Carr ('21) - 19.4 PTS, 4.9 AST, 4.0 TRB, 37.1 3P%, 51.7 TS% - Big 10 3rd Team  (Wisconsin)
  • Tyrese Hunter ('22) - 11.0 PTS, 4.9 AST, 3.5 TRB, 27.4 3P%, 47.5 TS% - Big 12 RoY  (Iowa State)
  • Sir'Jabari Rice ('23) - 13.0 PTS, 2.0 AST, 3.5 TRB, 37.1 3P%, 61.0 TS% - Big 12 6MoY  (Texas)
  • ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Matt Coleman ('21) - 13.2 PTS, 4.0 AST, 3.5 TRB, 37.7 3P%, 60.2 TS% - Big 12 3rd Team
  • Isaiah Taylor ('16) - 15.0 PTS, 5.0 AST, 2.8 TRB, 31.1 3P%, 52.5 TS% - Big 12 1st Team
  • Myck Kabongo ('13) - 14.6 PTS, 5.5 AST, 5.0 TRB, 29.6 3P%, 54.9 TS%
  • J'Covan Brown ('12) - 20.1 PTS, 3.8 AST, 3.4 TRB, 36.9 3P%, 55.0 TS% - Big 12 1st Team
  • AJ Abrams ('09) - 16.6 PTS, 1.3 AST, 2.2 TRB, 39.6 3P%, 55.7 TS% - Big 12 2nd Team   
  • DJ Augustin ('08) - 19.2 PTS, 5.8 AST, 2.9 TRB, 38.1 3P%, 55.7 TS% - 1st Team All-American

12 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

•Reilly left

•Donewald left

Reilly was always going to follow beard and take his softball bench chants with him. Donewald is a loss, but if it’s because he’s sour he didn’t get the head job, obviously not a Terry issue. AJ Johnson is less college ready than Morris was. Shouldn’t be a shock that a kid who went to Kanye’s fake high school doesn’t want to go to college classes. Mitchell has known for months that Holland was coming in and getting starter mins + Brock returning. Morris has had one foot out the door since January. Considering he’ll likely end up at DePaul or Ole Miss, that should tell you what the cbb world thinks of him. 

Some of that hurts us, but it’s been largely inevitable events clear to see for months now if you’ve paid the slightest bit of attention 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Updated:

• Returning players:  Brock Cunningham, Alex Anamekwe, Dylan Disu (Apr 23)
  • Incoming Transfers:  Kaden Shedrick (Apr 23), Max Abmas (Apr 28)
  • Incoming freshmen:  Ron Holland (#5 National)
  • Potential commits:  Chendall Weaver (G, UTA), Tyrin Lawrence (G, Vanderbilt),  Ze'Rik Onyema (F, UTEP)
  • Outgoing Transfers:  Arterio Morris, Rowan Brumbaugh
  • NBA Early Entries: *Dillon Mitchell (potential top-25 pick), *Tyrese Hunter (probably back)
  • Decommits:  AJ Johnson (#20 National)

6 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

. Donewald is a loss, but if it’s because he’s sour he didn’t get the head job, obviously not a Terry issue. 

This hasn’t been reported anywhere rather it was made up by someone on this board to make it seem like it wasn’t a loss. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Max Abmas is a better scorer than anyone we had on the roster last year.

I mean - he may or may not be. Carr would have lit up ORU's schedule last season. He was lighting up the B12 until the first item on the whiteboard became limiting Marcus Carr for every B12 team. 

I will be pleasantly surprised if he has a better season than Carr did - but I'm certainly not pencilling it in. 

That's without mentioning Jabari who put up 16.3 ppg on 48/41/87 splits from the Tennessee game on. 

18 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Reilly was always going to follow beard and take his softball bench chants with him. Donewald is a loss, but if it’s because he’s sour he didn’t get the head job, obviously not a Terry issue. AJ Johnson is less college ready than Morris was. Shouldn’t be a shock that a kid who went to Kanye’s fake high school doesn’t want to go to college classes. Mitchell has known for months that Holland was coming in and getting starter mins + Brock returning. Morris has had one foot out the door since January. Considering he’ll likely end up at DePaul or Ole Miss, that should tell you what the cbb world thinks of him. 

Some of that hurts us, but it’s been largely inevitable events clear to see for months now if you’ve paid the slightest bit of attention 

Also, no exaggeration, but Donewald has had 15 jobs in 25 years.  The guy sort of moves around a bit.  Someone here said that we had a chance to match Reilly's money at  Ole Miss and declined.  We actually hired Donewald's replacement before he left.  Yes, get mad, but Rodney has been on the job for 31 days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If we have the chance and means to upgrade Reilly with Todd Wright, I’ll take it. Sounds like Texas *could* have matched but RT may have already had discussions off the books with Wright and that’s where he wanted to go