Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

Lmao. I thought this was a rumor but I heard this two weeks ago at the gaso but a friend of mine that’s a scout said it was bs. Clearly not. I’ll be at the ft worth gaso tonight for the rising Freshman and sophomore bracket but planned on heading the duncanville tomorrow for the nba division and anyone that doesn’t know that’s where all the 5 star D-1 studs play. I can’t fucking believe it. I didn’t believe the rumor only because of where we’re at right now being almost may. Why would you leave a for sure lock to start at texas? Doesn’t make any sense.

• Like 1

So basically Ron and AJ said enough to keep RT around and they say sayanora?   Dubious at best.  Bad look.  

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao. I thought this was a rumor but I heard this two weeks ago at the gaso but a friend of mine that’s a scout said it was bs. Clearly not. I’ll be at the ft worth gaso tonight for the rising Freshman and sophomore bracket but planned on heading the duncanville tomorrow for the nba division and anyone that doesn’t know that’s where all the 5 star D-1 studs play. I can’t fucking believe it. I didn’t believe the rumor only because of where we’re at right now being almost may. Why would you leave a for sure lock to start at texas? Doesn’t make any sense.

He's a lock to start anywhere I would think.  Especially Oregon.  Bad bad look for RT.

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Not that I don't agree that this looks awful for RT, but your timing is convenient.  Not surprised though. 

Ironically, thats exactly what shadow_op was screaming about yesterday.

But I ain’t gonna complain about it, this sucks. Especially the timing. If you’re gonna leave, then leave. Why wait this late?

Edited by Lonestar88
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Especially the timing. If you’re gonna leave, then leave. Why wait this late?

squeeze a few more bucks out of someone NIL wise?

Texas can't afford to lose you. Oregon is going to offer anyway I'm sure. can let anyone else get in the game with an offer.

e: some smoke around G League?! does he not have the grades this late in the game?

Edited by NoName

It sucks to lose Holland, but in this day and age it is a VERY rare freshman wing that is better than what you can get from the top end of the portal. 

For our particular team next year, I would rather have Tyrin Lawrence out of Virginia (who has 2 years left) than Ron Holland, who is almost guaranteed to be a one-and-done.  A 3-guard lineup of Hunter, Abmas and Lawrence with Weaver off the bench is the type of team that can win a title. If Holland comes here you HAVE to start him. Just like we had to start Mitchell last year even though we were a better team when we went small with Rice.

You may all disagree, but I would actually rather give minutes at the 3 to Brock Cunningham. He was a vastly better on-court player than Dillon Mitchell last year... and he will be a better player than Ron Holland this year, despite the fact that Mitchell and Holland may both turn into decent NBA players some day.  Now if Dillon Mitchell returns to Texas with another year of seasoning, he could be very impactful.

I'm going to reserve any fretting about this loss until I see how we fill the open spot that it leaves.  We need GUARDS and this opens up a lot of playing time to get one.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

So basically Ron and AJ said enough to keep RT around and they say sayanora?   Dubious at best.  Bad look.  

He's a lock to start anywhere I would think.  Especially Oregon.  Bad bad look for RT.

If anyone thinks I want RT to fail they’re dumb. I’m pumped about abmas and shedrick and disu coming back. Hopefully Hunter does as well. All we can hope for now is these other transfer to sign up quick and maybe a Mitchell comes back but if Holland is gone I doubt mitchell comes back. Maybe holland is running an angle to get his NIL upped?

Just now, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Are you kidding me? We get abmas and have a team shaping up to be solid and he leaves? And says he’s still considering us? Fuck that. This is some bullshit 

That's why this all reeks of an NIL negotiation to me.  If Oregon is involved, yeah, they may have given him an offer we can't match.  And if so, so much for Phil Knight not fucking us over as a valuable Nike School.

9 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Why would you leave a for sure lock to start at texas? Doesn’t make any sense.

If Dillon Mitchell comes back, he isn't a sure lock to start at Texas. And even if he was, his minutes would be trimmed significantly. 

Just now, HookEm said:

If Dillon Mitchell comes back, he isn't a sure lock to start at Texas. And even if he was, his minutes would be trimmed significantly. 

The only thing I can see, besides a fat fucking bag from Phil Knight, is Mitchell is more likely than not to come back. 

But we will probably just get neither 

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

Yea probably so which would make him not want to come back I’m sure. He’s not close to ready for the nba so he might just portal out too.

Welp. Pretty shitty thing to do by Holland at this point. I can understand backing out like Johnson did when it actually becomes time to think school. But to shine on RT and staff this long only to fuck them and go elsewhere with zero time left to regroup? May his career be forever cursed for his actions.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

When do the pre-draft evaluations happen for guys like Mitchell & Hunter? Don’t they go to the combine and workout as if they are committed to the draft, receive feedback, and then are allowed to pull out of the draft? The reason I ask, why would anyone believe news that Mitchell is having second thoughts on the draft if he hasn’t gone through that process yet?

Edited by CheesePie
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Majorcholas said:

Basketball recruiting is becoming so tiresome.

It's getting to the point where it's honestly barely even worth it to pursue these guys. How many of the EE teams had high impact freshmen playing for them? Any of them?

Holland is good enough to where he likely would have contributed in a significant way but the baggage is starting to seem pretty high. If he goes to Oregon he won't win shit there. These guys are more and more just trying to get paid rather than play college basketball. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Ironically, thats exactly what shadow_op was screaming about yesterday.

But I ain’t gonna complain about it, this sucks. Especially the timing. If you’re gonna leave, then leave. Why wait this late?

I been here when shits good and bad.  I’ll call it as I see it.  Shadow to his credit is too

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If I could only pick one (and in reality, that is probably all we have starters minutes for) from Tyrin Lawrence, Dillon Mitchell and Ron Holland, I take Lawrence.  And he is still on the table.  All of them are actually.

Maybe Lawrence is the better of the 3 but perception wise losing Holland is awful.  He’s easily the one 

Really odd. He already came out and said he was excited to play for RT. Did the transfers scare him? Or some school offered a big NIL, but wouldn't that be tempering with someone who is already signed. Yea, I'm not naive, I know that happens all the time. Just crazy. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It's getting to the point where it's honestly barely even worth it to pursue these guys. How many of the EE teams had high impact freshmen playing for them? Any of them?

Holland is good enough to where he likely would have contributed in a significant way but the baggage is starting to seem pretty high. If he goes to Oregon he won't win shit there. These guys are more and more just trying to get paid rather than play college basketball. 

It won’t matter if he’s making $$ but the PAC doesn’t even have a tv contract and when they do 80% of it will be online only. 

17 hours ago, Rimbo said:

ok, trolling futureman was fun, but now that Bijan's gone my give-a-shit meter about the draft has gone to 0 ... :D 

19 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

If anyone thinks I want RT to fail they’re dumb. I’m pumped about abmas and shedrick and disu coming back. Hopefully Hunter does as well. All we can hope for now is these other transfer to sign up quick and maybe a Mitchell comes back but if Holland is gone I doubt mitchell comes back. Maybe holland is running an angle to get his NIL upped?

He gone.  Looks like 90% of time the kids don’t recommit

17 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Are you kidding me? We get abmas and have a team shaping up to be solid and he leaves? And says he’s still considering us? Fuck that. This is some bullshit 

Awful timing.   Why not decommit two months ago?  He and AJ doing RT a solid?  Bullshit

Lol I understand the frustration but this is what happens when you recruit the best of the best in college basketball. Holland would more than likely be a top draft pick.
If y’all think this has anything to do with a “basketball decision” you haven’t been paying attention 

if the higher ups don’t start to get involved Terry is going to become a scapegoat 

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

Lol I understand the frustration but this is what happens when you recruit the best of the best in college basketball. Holland would more than likely be a top draft pick.
If y’all think this has anything to do with a “basketball decision” you haven’t been paying attention 

if the higher ups don’t start to get involved Terry is going to become a scapegoat 

What are you talking about with the higher ups?  You mean big NIL donors because that is likely what this is about. 

So our last 2 recruiting classes consisted of the following HS recruits: Mitchell (5), Morris (16), Brumbaugh (89), Anamekwe (208), Holland (4), AJ Johnson (21). And for now we have Anamekwe. I gotta be honest, I dont view today's landscape of NIL and the transfer portal to be all that great for the sport. Great for the players, not so great for the fans. Fuck it, it'll save me some cash going to the Moody next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I been here when shits good and bad.  I’ll call it as I see it.  Shadow to his credit is too

I don’t like being a roller coaster of emotion, it’s a long offseason and season. It’s silly to be reactionary to every single thing.

But it’s hard to expect others to be even keel with this one, especially when it’s less than a day after the good Abmas news. This is some Jekyll and Hyde shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

I don’t like being a roller coaster of emotion, it’s a long offseason and season. It’s silly to be reactionary to every single thing.

But it’s hard to expect others to be even keel with this one, especially when it’s less than a day after the good Abmas news. This is some Jekyll and Hyde shit.

Oh I’m not out. I can justify optics on every other transaction thus far but this one is not a good look.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean it’s a long shot he comes back but maybe this was a way to get more money hence the “Texas can still recruit me”. If you read between the lines that’s what I think of. If he left because he didn’t like the direction he wouldn’t come back but if it’s about money he’s open to coming back. Trying to be positive here.

1 minute ago, Blotto said:

So our last 2 recruiting classes consisted of the following HS recruits: Mitchell (5), Morris (16), Brumbaugh (89), Anamekwe (208), Holland (4), AJ Johnson (21). And for now we have Anamekwe. I gotta be honest, I dont view today's landscape of NIL and the transfer portal to be all that great for the sport. Great for the players, not so great for the fans. Fuck it, it'll save me some cash going to the Moody next year. 

It just seems unsustainable to me. The money needed to fund NIL is going to keep going up. Sooner or later it’s going to be taking away from money that used to be donated to these schools for operations and facility projects. 
The beast is just going to demand more and more money. There’s got to be a tipping point. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Skipper said:

That's why this all reeks of an NIL negotiation to me.  If Oregon is involved, yeah, they may have given him an offer we can't match.  And if so, so much for Phil Knight not fucking us over as a valuable Nike School.

Yep. Texas just got Disu, Shedrick, and Abmas. Holland wants to renegotiate his deal.

Edited by HtownHorn

Just now, Herpa Derpa said:

I believe he means how Mitchell coming back would impact Holland. Or he just means Mitchell and you are correct.

That’s what I thought also. Wasn’t calling the poster dumb meant Ron Holland is dumb for that being part of his decision if true. He‘a more developed than Mitchell by a lot imo.

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That’s what I thought also. Wasn’t calling the poster dumb meant Ron Holland is dumb for that being part of his decision if true. He‘a more developed than Mitchell by a lot imo.

Yeah how do you look at DM’s offensive production from last year and be scared of that? 

I worded that badly.  What I meant is that if Mitchell comes back it is going to be a battle between the two of them to see who starts.  If we started Mitchell last year as a freshman, it is going to be very hard for Holland to unseat him as a freshman.  Maybe he will, but then Mitchell is going to be pissed that he came back just to have a lesser role than last year.  Either way, if both Mitchell and Holland end up on campus, they will each eat into the other one's minutes and touches.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I worded that badly.  What I meant is that if Mitchell comes back it is going to be a battle between the two of them to see who starts.  If we started Mitchell last year as a freshman, it is going to be very hard for Holland to unseat him as a freshman.  Maybe he will, but then Mitchell is going to be pissed that he came back just to have a lesser role than last year.  Either way, if both Mitchell and Holland end up on campus, they will each eat into the other one's minutes and touches.

This really has nothing to do with Mitchell, who isn't on the team. This likely has to do with 2 things.

1) NIL

2) Going to a program that will allow him to showcase his skills for one season in lieu of winning tourney games.

This screams of Keyonte George at Baylor.

Edited by HtownHorn

This kind of stuff was exactly what I brought up in the Beard and Coaching threads. This class was always going to be crazy hard to keep because these guys committed to Beard. Beard had the hot shot name. The resume. 

It's why I was pulling so hard for Terry to at least get to the Final 4 to boost his name. Seems the elite 8 run didn't quite do it for these two guys but the next class will always determine how good Terry can do getting guys in to play for him. 

Just like with Ewers I'd keep tabs on Holland through back channels. Chances are just like other high level recruits Morris and Mitchell last year he will look to bolt if he isn't a star as a freshman. If he has a Mitchell or Morris type season he'll hit the portal just like they almost always do and Terry could pounce then. 

Honestly, HS recruiting is now secondary to portal recruiting for building a team since these kids can be so flakey these days. What's the last guy we brought in as a big time HS recruit that became a great player here? Even the Shaka guys before the portal existed were ok, underachieved their talent level because they're freshmen, then bolted to the draft. And that was before the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If neither guy stayed with Terry at the helm, then it certainly doesn't seem likely they would have stayed if some outside coach was brought in that they had zero relationship with. Likely would have been left in this same situation regardless, especially in Johnson's situation where he straight up told the coaches he didn't want to have to do school.

Now have to backfill through the portal. Still two more weeks for guys to enter. 

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Let's be honest. I want Holland to play at Texas, but if you offered me the choice of another year of Rice over Holland, I would take that every day and twice on Sunday. Veteran guards are worth more in college basketball than 5-star one and dones.

Exactly. Freshmen aren't going to get you to final 4s. We've seen it over and over here how they aren't ready unless they're a generational freak like Durant. Rice was a huge part of the reason we almost got to the final 4. Guys who have learned how to play at this level from other schools are the better bet to fill out the roster.