Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you think this is a potential final 4 team if we add those two guys? 

2023 Final Four:  4 seed UConn, 5 seed Miami, 5 seed San Diego State, 9 seed FAU

It's a brave new world.  You shouldn't look at this year's Elite Eight result, make some arbitary comparison in your mind about what we might field next year and how they compare to the team we just saw, and draw some conclusion.

In other words, it's absolutely possible RT will field a Final Four team next year.  He could also field an NIT team, or worse.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

2023 Final Four:  4 seed UConn, 5 seed Miami, 5 seed San Diego State, 9 seed FAU

It's a brave new world.  You shouldn't look at this year's Elite Eight result, make some arbitary comparison in your mind about what we might field next year and how they compare to the team we just saw, and draw some conclusion.

In other words, it's absolutely possible RT will field a Final Four team next year.  He could also field an NIT team, or worse.

Quick name a guy in the final four rated higher than dillon Mitchell 

36 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

spacer.png

If true, then Terry and the coaching staff did the right thing. Creating a team that features Holland auditioning for the NBA would be disastrous. 

I’d like to just add when I posted yesterday I said I heard rumors at the GASO in duncanville but thought it was all bs rumors. It’s been going around the last few weeks. Not sure we will ever get a real reason. I can’t imagine RT didn’t say everything possible to keep him. But I’d say Holland wanted to go to Duke or any blue blood school, unless your MJ every coach would say you have to earn your spot. So not sure if they wanted a starting spot surety given the last two didn’t? Did he want to be the main focal point of the offense? Again we will never know. 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not like these kids don't have Beard's phone number.  He wouldn't have to be trying to land them at Ole Miss to take a conversation and poison the well.  I would hope he wouldn't do that to RT, but I would also hope he wouldn't hit a woman.  Life is full of disappointments.

Exactly. These kids probably have talked to Beard a few times since he was fired, and to think that it's beneath him to poison the well is idiotic.

• Fuck You 1

31 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Exactly. These kids probably have talked to Beard a few times since he was fired, and to think that it's beneath him to poison the well is idiotic.

Mack and Charlie poisoned shit This n their departure.  I sense that beard wouldn’t but it’s not like I know him

34 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I’d like to just add when I posted yesterday I said I heard rumors at the GASO in duncanville but thought it was all bs rumors. It’s been going around the last few weeks. Not sure we will ever get a real reason. I can’t imagine RT didn’t say everything possible to keep him. But I’d say Holland wanted to go to Duke or any blue blood school, unless your MJ every coach would say you have to earn your spot. So not sure if they wanted a starting spot surety given the last two didn’t? Did he want to be the main focal point of the offense? Again we will never know. 

If I’m an opposing coach I’d point to morris and Mitchell’s stats here

turns out that holland wasn't seeking promises regarding playing time. with everyone else jumping ship and the roster looking depleted ron and his family decided that his NIL deal needed to be reworked, and we said, "yeah, i don't think so, you signed the deal, stick to it." that's why he left. that's why mitchell and arterio are applauding him leaving. NIL money. they don't give one single shit about being a Texas Longhorn, they are only interested in what Texas can do for them. in the words of the GOAT, "fuck them kids."

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not like these kids don't have Beard's phone number.  He wouldn't have to be trying to land them at Ole Miss to take a conversation and poison the well.  I would hope he wouldn't do that to RT, but I would also hope he wouldn't hit a woman.  Life is full of disappointments.

First time I've ever negged you.  This is stupid, JJ.  "Oh my God, he is a DV miscreant.  He is capable of anything and doing it 24/7."  You're better than this.

11 minutes ago, cafe society said:

First time I've ever negged you.  This is stupid, JJ.  "Oh my God, he is a DV miscreant.  He is capable of anything and doing it 24/7."  You're better than this.

Is your comeback “just because he’s a wife beater doesn’t mean he’s willing to tamper against his alma mater”.  Not saying Chris is a wife beater

11 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Uh, wut?  Chris Beard was fired.  I have zero doubt he's livid about it.  I don't think he is anything but hyper competitive and I seriously doubt he would have high praise for the program going forward.  Neg away, I couldn't care less, but it was a hypothetical and not one out of the realm of possibility.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

I can’t say that I know if they talked to him but I do know that to a man they were really pissed of at him for letting them down during a season they all thought could be special. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Correct. There is a sweet spot between 5 star one and dones and 3-star kids ranked 500th in the country. There are kids ranked 50-100th in the country, damn good players, who aren’t expecting to go to the NBA after next year.

Uconn won the title with several veteran players who were mid to high 4-stars coming out of HS. 

Personally, I have no issue continuing to recruit one and dones but you better balance out classes with 1-2 guys you know will be around for several years.

Yes on UConn. Miami had talent as well. Fau and sdsu had players we would t allow i. Our camp.  This isn’t football

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CTC2 said:

I can’t say that I know if they talked to him but I do know that to a man they were really pissed of at him for letting them down during a season they all thought could be special. 

They also professed their love for Terry before they bolted. Some of you are incapable of imagining that what people say publicly doesn't always reflect what they think or do privately. Take people's public statements to heart and then you are shocked when they act on the contrary. This idiot cafe society seems incapable of imagining a scenario where Beard's former recruits, who signed up to play for him at Texas, would ever pick up the phone and call Beard to ask what's up with him and his new gig, and then Beard may not be too complimentary of the program that fired him without pay or the guy who took credit for his roster. I mean how dumb you have to be to think this scenario is impossible?

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

They also professed their love for Terry before they bolted. Some of you are incapable of imagining that what people say publicly doesn't always reflect what they think or do privately. Take people's public statements to heart and then you are shocked when they act on the contrary. This idiot cafe society seems incapable of imagining a scenario where Beard's former recruits, who signed up to play for him at Texas, would ever pick up the phone and call Beard to ask what's up with him and his new gig, and then Beard may not be too complementary of the program that fired him without pay or the guy who took credit for his roster. I mean how dumb you have to be to think this scenario is impossible?

You should probably take everything a 17 yar old says with a grain of salt.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

turns out that holland wasn't seeking promises regarding playing time. with everyone else jumping ship and the roster looking depleted ron and his family decided that his NIL deal needed to be reworked, and we said, "yeah, i don't think so, you signed the deal, stick to it." that's why he left. that's why mitchell and arterio are applauding him leaving. NIL money. they don't give one single shit about being a Texas Longhorn, they are only interested in what Texas can do for them. in the words of the GOAT, "fuck them kids."

I mean, this is basketball. How is "NIL Money" something new here, this has always been what it's about for kids at Holland's level.

8 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

They also professed their love for Terry before they bolted. Some of you are incapable of imagining that what people say publicly doesn't always reflect what they think or do privately. Take people's public statements to heart and then you are shocked when they act on the contrary. This idiot cafe society seems incapable of imagining a scenario where Beard's former recruits, who signed up to play for him at Texas, would ever pick up the phone and call Beard to ask what's up with him and his new gig, and then Beard may not be too complimentary of the program that fired him without pay or the guy who took credit for his roster. I mean how dumb you have to be to think this scenario is impossible?

Everyone was caught up in the momentum and Rodney is an easy guy to root for.  Grassroots push.  Once he made the second weekend the job was his.  Heck maybe winning the conference title already did

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

and herein lies the problem.

20 hours ago, CTC2 said:

What kind of makes me curious is Mitchell. By my observations he was not a locker room cancer nor a malcontent. Something changed.

Nothing changed. He was always going to be part of the draft process after his first year. 

19 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

My main concern with RT getting the job was keeping that recruiting class together. It appears that despite only basing that on the fact he had never built a big time college basketball program as a HC before I was exactly right to be worried about that. Wild. I guess the thing that shocks me is how late this happened. If neither of those dudes wanted to play for RT why didn't they decommit in December? That would have given RT and Texas much more time to replace them. It is almost like Holland and Johnson were intentionally trying to fuck up RT, waiting until just weeks until they were both due to be on campus was a great strategy. But why? Probably some weird shenanigans as this is College Basketball Recruiting after all.

This sucks but I guess keep the transfers coming and for whatever reason we seem to be having some success here.

Congratulations. You just listed the dumbest possible main concern anyone could’ve had for RT getting the job, and you managed to pay yourself in the back for it at the same time .

One and dones, and freshmen in general, have never been less important than right now. 

I can envision it perfectly. Chris Beard - buried neck deep in commitments to put a SEC staff and roster together in just a few months while getting on the right side of boosters who only give a shit about football at a school that's never been good at basketball - excuses himself from a meeting to start a long text thread with 17 year old AJ Johnson about how he needs to go play in Australia instead of sticking with Texas.

Then, before he gets back to work, he makes sure to really hammer home how great both Oregon and the G League Ignite team would be as options over attending Texas for another kid who will never in a million years step foot on Ole Miss' campus. 

See how fucking stupid it sounds when you type it out? 

Oh and then he starts a group text with Morris and Mitchell saying "Hey I know I got arrested and fired and really fucked up both of your freshman seasons and in the process completely failed to deliver on every recruiting promise I made - but you just CAN'T return to Texas to play for a guy that stepped in and really cared about you guys and almost took you to the 3rd weekend of the NCAA tournament."

That son of a bitch!

Edited by ztejas

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I can envision it perfectly. Chris Beard - buried neck deep in commitments to put a SEC staff and roster together in just a few months while getting on the right side of boosters who only give a shit about football at a school that's never been good at basketball - excuses himself from a meeting to start a long text thread with 17 year old AJ Johnson about how he needs to go play in Australia instead of sticking with Texas.

Then, before he gets back to work, he makes sure to really hammer home how great both Oregon and the G League Ignite team would be as options over attending Texas for another kid who will never in a million years step foot on Ole Miss' campus. 

See how fucking stupid it sounds when you type it out? 

When you imagine it that way, yes it looks stupid.

When you imagine him taking a call from a kid with whom he has a significant relationship, it doesn't look stupid at all.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nothing changed. He was always going to be part of the draft process after his first year. 

I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about him liking a tweet that RT should be fired and backslapping Morris and Holland on going to Kansas and de-committing.  Come on, keep up  

Edited by CTC2

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Rumor that Mitchell looking at KU

Is he in the transfer portal?

EDIT: Guessing this is the source for this? 

As far as I have read, Mitchell is not in the portal. Also, if he doesn't want to be in Austin, let him go. He can go be a 12 mpg lob guy for Bill Self if he wants to. 

Edited by RollingPresidential

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Congratulations. You just listed the dumbest possible main concern anyone could’ve had for RT getting the job, and you managed to pay yourself in the back for it at the same time .

One and dones, and freshmen in general, have never been less important than right now. 

The concern was his ability to build a program and this board led me to believe that those recruits were significant. If both of those thoughts were the dumbest possible ideas ever then there we are.

Why did the other posters on this upset we lost those recruits if that is the dumbest possible idea ever? Is everybody a giant idiot except you personally?

Seems slightly unnecessary hostile. Nobody said I was idiot when I brought this issue up months ago. 

Anyway I wasn't "pay" myself anything but rather expressing disbelief this happened despite everything that was said anf happened since I expressed that concern way back in January or whenever it was. When I said that at the time I didn't reallly know much about RT as a head coach and we hadn't made the E8 run and we hadn't had months of Johnson and Holland saying how much they liked him.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/29/2023 at 9:12 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Uh, wut?  Chris Beard was fired.  I have zero doubt he's livid about it.  I don't think he is anything but hyper competitive and I seriously doubt he would have high praise for the program going forward.  Neg away, I couldn't care less, but it was a hypothetical and not one out of the realm of possibility.

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2023/1/5/23541289/chris-beard-lawyer-termination-letter-texas-longhorns

You mean the guy that our lawyers had to put out this letter to his lawyer?

Few notes from Gerry:

Texas is set to host a pair of transfer portal targets this week with UTEP power forward Ze’rik Onyema getting to Austin this evening. The former Rodney Terry recruit at UTEP visited Vanderbilt last week, and the Commodores are considered the competition.

In the case of UT-Arlington transfer guard Chendall Weaver, the competition is more tricky. He’s currently on a visit to Texas A&M, where his older sister starred prior to being selected in the first round of the 2020 WNBA draft. He visits Texas Wednesday and Thursday, and is scheduled to visit Texas Tech this weekend. His mother is a Texas Tech graduate. Texas is in a solid position here, but this is expected to be a battle for a player that all three programs are all in on. 

Texas is still talking to Ron Holland and family. The Longhorns are not walking away from the Gatorade Player of the Year, at this point. There is a lot to this one; more than freshman expectations, Arterio Morris’ freshman season in Austin, Anthony Black and family working to help Arkansas, and more. There is about as much to this recruitment as one will deal with covering it. 

• Hook 'Em 2