Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, Ghost of Frank Erwin said:

Is there any optimism with Holland or is he 100% out? 

Yeah, I’m not Gerry but you can pretty much just move on with Holland. I’m not sure we will ever know what changed his mind on a dime after being very pro-RT. Maybe Arkansas gave him a shit ton of money? Who knows, but I’ve moved on and so should everyone else. 

Let’s get Hunter back and see what happens. 

I also think Mitchell tweeted what he did just to see if he would still get some love from Texas fans even though he wouldn’t be returning, basically a “guys don’t be mad I’m leaving and don’t hate me” type deal and it backfired on him so he deleted it. Just my deducing. I’ve watched a shit ton of CSI: Miami so I’m good at this stuff.

RT couldn't even get Todd Wright? What the actual fuck is his job then?

27 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Starters: Hunter, Abmas, Cunningham, Disu, Shedrick

Bench: Weaver, TBD transfer guard who is not on the radar yet, Anamekwe, Onyemi

Walk-on’s: Prince, Perryman, Bott, Clark

If Cunningham is starting we're fucked.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Why can’t I be excited about Abmas, Weaver, Disu returning, Shedrick and also upset about Holland and Johnson but also meh on Morris but also concerned about Mitchell 

Why must you fit me in your arbitrary boxes

Fx Networks Indian GIF by Reservation Dogs

3 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I'm still shocked at how many people have already decided if RT is going to be a failure or a success here.  I really don't understand why we're not all in the cautious optimism camp, except that it's impossible to do an "I told you so" and get one million internet cool points from there.

Yeah, this group 1, group 2 thing is fucking stupid. This thread has been a beating to read because people got so entrenched in their positions in the should we hire RT thread that they can’t even interpret individual events reasonably. 

Hopefully this will stop so this thread can become readable again, but continuing to lump everyone into two separate factions won’t allow that to happen. 

I don’t think RT was a good hire, but he’s our coach now so I’m going to root for him (and thereby the team) to succeed until I know he’s not the guy, a la Shaka year 3.

The silver lining to this situation is that we actually have an AD now, and he won’t let RT stay for 7 got dam years if it’s not working.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, this group 1, group 2 thing is fucking stupid. This thread has been a beating to read because people got so entrenched in their positions in the should we hire RT thread that they can’t even interpret individual events reasonably. 

Hopefully this will stop so this thread can become readable again, but continuing to lump everyone into two separate factions won’t allow that to happen. 

I don’t think RT was a good hire, but he’s our coach now so I’m going to root for him (and thereby the team) to succeed until I know he’s not the guy, a la Shaka year 3.

The silver lining to this situation is that we actually have an AD now, and he won’t let RT stay for 7 got dam years if it’s not working.

This is my view as well. 

50 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Very easy to say when you are not the one having to do it under the circumstances that existed. 

This is a pretty fucking stupid response. I understand the pressure that was on the admin to hire him and expected that to happen unless we could land a Jay Wright or Billy Donovan type, but that doesn’t mean it was a good coaching hire decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a pretty fucking stupid response. I understand the pressure that was on the admin to hire him and expected that to happen unless we could land a Jay Wright or Billy Donovan type, but that doesn’t mean it was a good coaching hire decision. 

I think your respond is stupid.  “Good” has to be evaluated in the context surrounding the decision and all ramifications.  Not in some ideal vacuum where only basketball matters.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I think your respond is stupid.  “Good” has to be evaluated in the context surrounding the decision and all ramifications.  Not in some ideal vacuum where only basketball matters.  

No, it really doesn’t. He was either a good choice as a basketball coach or not. Like I said, I understand the pressure that was on them and going with someone other than RT would’ve been very difficult for the decision maker, but the optics and outside pressure surrounding the decision don’t change it from a bad hire to a good hire.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

No, it really doesn’t. He was either a good choice as a basketball coach or not. Like I said, I understand the pressure that was on them and going with someone other than RT would’ve been very difficult for the decision maker, but the optics and outside pressure surrounding the decision don’t change it from a bad hire to a good hire.

Agreed. It wasn't a great hire but it was one we sort of had to make. 

17 hours ago, HookEm said:

I was with you until this point. Every single time anything bad happens, Group 1 falls all over themselves to remind everyone that RT is not and never has been our standard.

It is a beating. And because if that, Group 2 overreacts to any good news.

Este

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he basically tried to extort us. fuck him and whatever team he picks, especially if it's arkansas.

yeah, I think the holland thing is pretty bad. I don’t know what happened exactly, but Gerry has all but said “I can’t talk about it.”

ron holland saw that we were losing people left and right and demanded more money from Texas, this after spending the entire season literally helping get RT hired by constantly/publicly supporting him and talking about how he couldn't wait to play for RT/Texas. seriously, fuck this guy. i hope he's ryan perriloux all over again. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

the two groups shit is stupid, but it's reality. and i invite hookem to go do his favorite thing and cite actual posting evidence of what he alleges has happened. the evidence he's looking for doesn't exist, but happy hunting. 

this is a dynamic that has existed on message boards since i've been on them, and it isn't going to change anytime soon. the idea that scores of posters have wildly overreacted to every bit of bad news this offseason is patently false. it's simply the latest of case of sunshine pumper fans being hypersensitive to any and all "criticism" (which is usually nothing more than people being bummed out and not actually saying anything critical of RT), and making it out to be way more than it is. these people get all butthurt over this stuff and turn the entire thread into an "us vs them" situation. stupid, yes. but also reality.

this is not one of those "the people on both sides are culpable" things. one side is over reactive and antagonistic. the other is literally just being bummed out by bad news.

Edited by shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this is a dynamic that has existed on message boards since i've been on them, and it isn't going to change he anytime soon.

You are a huge (and dare I say "dominant") driver of this message board's dynamic.  Most of us hope for the day when you self-reflect and see your role in all of this shit, but alas, we're not stupid, it's just hope and it ain't gonna happen.

Apologies to all for replying but for fuck's sake, just dial it back, derka.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

what trips me out about these head-in-the-sand sunshine pumpers is that they don't exist in game threads. every game thread around where we don't win by 30 is the most stupidly overly negative thing you'll read this side of the CR, but when it comes to bad things happening during the offseason, we'll suddenly it's just a crime to not be thrilled with every little thing that's happening. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You are a huge (and dare I say "dominant") driver of this message board's dynamic.  Most of us hope for the day when you self-reflect and see your role in all of this shit, but alas, we're not stupid, it's just hope and it ain't gonna happen.

back that shit with anything substantive or shut the fuck up. don't go blaming me for how you any other fully grown man behaves. 

btw i also contribute more to this baord, particularly as it pertains to UT hoops, than anyone else here, so you can go ahead and mention that as you describe how much i "drive" this forum. sanctimonious fucking prick. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

back that shit with anything substantive or shut the fuck up. don't go blaming me for how you any other fully grown man behaves. 

We'll all back it up with years of experience dealing with your hyper-sensitive behavior in which you just cannot fathom the idea that your opinion would be mistaken for anything other than fact.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

We'll all back it up with years of experience dealing with your hyper-sensitive behavior in which you just cannot fathom the idea that your opinion would be mistaken for anything other than fact.

the irony. this entire dynamic exists because of "the opposing faction" to mine being so unbelievably hypersensitive. you might want to pick a different day to make that argument. 

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the two groups shit is stupid, but it's reality. and i invite hookem to go do his favorite thing and cite actual posting evidence of what he alleges has happened. the evidence he's looking for doesn't exist, but happy hunting. 

this is a dynamic that has existed on message boards since i've been on them, and it isn't going to change anytime soon. the idea that scores of posters have wildly overreacted to every bit of bad news this offseason is patently false. it's simply the latest of case of sunshine pumper fans being hypersensitive to any and all "criticism" (which is usually nothing more than people being bummed out and not actually saying anything critical of RT), and making it out to be way more than it is. these people get all butthurt over this stuff and turn the entire thread into an "us vs them" situation. stupid, yes. but also reality.

this is not one of those "the people on both sides are culpable" things. one side is over reactive and antagonistic. the other is literally just being bummed out by bad news.

Oh yeah, I forgot the other thing making this thread shitty. Derka taking every post, most of which aren’t even talking about him, as a personal attack and Derka’ing the ever loving shot out of this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Oh yeah, I forgot the other thing making this thread shitty. Derka taking every post, most of which aren’t even talking about him, as a personal attack and Derka’ing the ever loving shot out of this thread. 

i'm the guy who make the "group one and group two" post, so who in the fuck could you possibly have been talking about?

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the irony. this entire dynamic exists because of "the opposing faction" to mine being so unbelievably hypersensitive. you might want to pick a different day to make that argument. 

Yours is an extraordinary pathology, I'll give you that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

one side is over reactive and antagonistic. the other is literally just being bummed out by bad news.

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

shut the fuck up. 

sanctimonious fucking prick. 

😂

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

revisiting this for the sheer insanity, insincerity, and bullshit of it all. you say that i'm ruining this thread, and yet in this post you:

•fire the first pot shot by talking ad hominem shit to me 

•YOU make it personal and combative and all about me/not about basketball 

•you finish the post by apologizing to everyone else here for even engaging me, then tell me to dial it back

honest question: are you fucking retarded? you got one fucked up way of getting me to "dial it back." what an absolutely monumental lack of self awareness on your part, which btw might be your most prominent trait.

you come in here and do the exact things that you claim i'm doing to ruin so many threads, and your expectation is that after making it personal and being incredibly insulting and taking unprovoked pot shots at me, that THAT will result in me "dialing it back"? THAT is what will get this thread back on track? how fucking tone deaf can you be? you would do very well to find even a modicum of self awareness before you go talking shit to someone else about his own supposed lack of it. how you manage to convince yourself that you're above it all while starting so much personal shit is just fucking wild.