Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

6 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

We will see some of that for sure but I think weaver will spell Hunter and abmas and kind be this years rice unless we can’t find a decent wing/sf in the portal

We need at least one more guard who can bring the ball up the court and a decent wing/sf who likes to play D and can hit open 3s at a decent enough rate to keep the opposition from cheating down

Hoping that’s Laurence or someone in his stead

Mitchell shot the ball well in non-competitive drills. He's looked like the same offensive player in the scrimmages. The guy is far from being a good player or "showing he has more potential." 

I'm not trying to hate but it's just the truth. -21 and 3/16 from the field in 2 scrimmages is all the proof you need. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mitchell shot the ball well in non-competitive drills. He's looked like the same offensive player in the scrimmages. The guy is far from being a good player. or "showing he has more potential." 

I'm not trying to hate but it's just the truth. -21 and 3/16 from the field in 2 scrimmages is all the proof you need. 

Gonna spend his first year in the G-League.  Better hope he gets picked by the right team for development...  

7 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Mitchell shot the ball well in non-competitive drills. He's looked like the same offensive player in the scrimmages. The guy is far from being a good player or "showing he has more potential." 

Holy shit dude we get it why do you need to make 1,000 comments about this. Did he fuck your wife or something?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Dillon Mitchell in 2 combine scrimmages. 

1/6, 2 points, -9. 

2/9, 5 points, -12. 

Any team that drafts this guy is just dumb. He's been even worse than I expected in the combine scrimmages. 

Any Texas hoops fan who roots against Mitchell getting drafted as high as possible is dumb. There's no better advertisement for our program than players getting drafted as highly as possible and performing well in the league. 

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Any Texas hoops fan who roots against Mitchell getting drafted as high as possible is dumb. There's no better advertisement for our program than players getting drafted as highly as possible and performing well in the league. 

I wouldn't say rooting against. I think Mitchell is just getting bad advice if he thinks he's improving his draft stock based on his combine performances. Most of these teams are basing decisions off the scrimmages and actual competitive play. 

I just hope he's not reading randos on twitter that are saying "he's improving his draft stock" when that's not the reality. https://fieldof68.beehiiv.com/p/caleb-love-michigan-nba-draft-combine-st-bonaventure

"Mitchell caught the attention of draft Twitter when he made a 3-pointer — after making zero during his freshman season at Texas. But he shot a disappointing 1-of-6 from the field and his performance in non-competitive workouts didn’t translate. What will scouts make of Mitchell’s stock if he opts to stay in the draft? He’s a raw offensive prospect but has game-breaking athletic ability."

Awesome news about Hunter.  In my opinion, we could roll it out with the team as constructed right now and compete for a conference title. The 2nd weekend of the tourney is already in play.  Add more good pieces (ideally a really good wing) and it only goes up from here.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I wouldn't say rooting against. I think Mitchell is just getting bad advice if he thinks he's improving his draft stock based on his combine performances. Most of these teams are basing decisions off the scrimmages and actual competitive play. 

I just hope he's not reading randos on twitter that are saying "he's improving his draft stock" when that's not the reality. https://fieldof68.beehiiv.com/p/caleb-love-michigan-nba-draft-combine-st-bonaventure

"Mitchell caught the attention of draft Twitter when he made a 3-pointer — after making zero during his freshman season at Texas. But he shot a disappointing 1-of-6 from the field and his performance in non-competitive workouts didn’t translate. What will scouts make of Mitchell’s stock if he opts to stay in the draft? He’s a raw offensive prospect but has game-breaking athletic ability."

I think the teams already have an idea of what he can and can’t do. The better question is do they feel like they can make something out of what they see. The reason he gets that deference is because of his crazy athleticism. 

• Like 1

Plus West Virginia currently has the #2 transfer class. They will be tough as always.

I just think our starting 5 is going to be really good. Maybe better than this year honestly. But our depth likely won’t be nearly as good.

Top of the Big 12 will be as strong as ever, but it will likely be a bit weaker towards the bottom than normal. BYU, Cincy and UCF all missed the tournament last year. OSU seems to be in semi-rebuild with a bunch of freshman coming in. Hard to trust Moser at OU. Tech in year 1 of a new coach after losing several key guys.

Will be interesting to see the schedule format and which teams we only draw once.

Edited by Hookem2147

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kansas will be fascinating to watch next year. They are loaded with talent but they also have a lot of guys capable of drama. 

And a coach with a ticking time bomb of a heart 

11 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Mitchell ain’t getting drafted, my friend 

4 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Mitchell ain’t getting drafted, my friend 

That may be the case but actively rooting for him not to be drafted and continually shitting on the kids seems par for the course with some Longhorn "fans" when it comes to former football and basketball players.  

4 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

That may be the case but actively rooting for him not to be drafted and continually shitting on the kids seems par for the course with some Longhorn "fans" when it comes to former football and basketball players.  

It's not shitting on a player when it's just a fact. I posted his stats from two scrimmages at the NBA combine. 

How else do you want to discuss players on whether they should stay in the draft or return to college? 

9 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Idk the exact math but I think we could still be competitive for the conference title while being worse than one other team on paper.

we're currently behind more than just KU, but we are nowhere close to the jayhawks, and neither is anyone else in the conference.

also, we've won three total big xii titles in 25 tries. the last time it happened was 15 years and three head coaches ago. our only outright big xii title happened in 1999. but yeah, let's all yuk it up when i suggest that rodney terry's first ever Texas team full of new players in a brutal conference shouldn't be considered title contenders. you sunshine pumpers kill me.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we're currently behind more than just KU, but we are nowhere close to the jayhawks, and neither is anyone else in the conference.

also, we've won three total big xii titles in 25 tries. the last time it happened was 15 years and three head coaches ago. our only outright big xii title happened in 1999. but yeah, let's all yuk it up when i suggest that rodney terry's first team full of new players shouldn't be considered title contenders. 

I see some optimism for the team that Terry is assembling, but I don't see anyone ridiculing your premise that RT's first team shouldn't be considered contenders.  Your money is clearly on the Jayhawks, and if Self's health holds up, you aren't exactly going way out on a limb with that prediction.  On the other hand, that 1999 team you referenced was Rick's first season, with a team that had no business competing for anything.  Sometimes teams overachieve. 

The only prediction I'm making is that I'm going to be excited to see how it unfolds.     

• Hook 'Em 2

Returning (7): Disu, Hunter, Cunningham, Anamekwe, Perryman, Bott, Clark

Out (7): Carr, Rice, Allen, Bishop, Mitchell, Morris, Brumbaugh

In (7): Abmas, Weaver, Lawrence*, Sellers*, Onyemi, Shedrick, Prince

G Hunter/Sellers*/Prince

G Abmas/Weaver/Perryman

G Lawrence*/Anamekwe

F Disu/Cunningham/Clark

F Shedrick/Onyemi/Bott

As it stands this roster looks like a fringe tourney team.  If they add 1 good G they will be a good team with an 8 deep roster likely to make the tourney with round 2 a solid bet.  2 good players and this roster is roughly on par with last year’s.  Losing all 3 of Holland, Johnson, and Mitchell sure sucked, since keeping any one of those guys would have really completed this roster and made any further additions from here out a bonus.

3 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Returning (7): Disu, Hunter, Cunningham, Anamekwe, Perryman, Bott, Clark

Out (7): Carr, Rice, Allen, Bishop, Mitchell, Morris, Brumbaugh

In (7): Abmas, Weaver, Lawrence*, Sellers*, Onyemi, Shedrick, Prince

G Hunter/Sellers*/Prince

G Abmas/Weaver/Perryman

G Lawrence*/Anamekwe

F Disu/Cunningham/Clark

F Shedrick/Onyemi/Bott

As it stands this roster looks like a fringe tourney team.  If they add 1 good G they will be a good team with an 8 deep roster likely to make the tourney with round 2 a solid bet.  2 good players and this roster is roughly on par with last year’s.  Losing all 3 of Holland, Johnson, and Mitchell sure sucked, since keeping any one of those guys would have really completed this roster and made any further additions from here out a bonus.

Oh man, I don't agree with this at all. 

• Hook 'Em 2

i'm excited to see how it unfolds too, but oh my god how many times do we have to go through the same irrational song and dance before we ever learn? our fans give the team wild expectations of success based on nothing other than what we want to happen, and then when we have not-at-all-unexpected growing pains everyone is unnecessarily miserable because of their own unrealistic hopes and expectations.

what i'm about to say is going to sound crazy, but it's true, and if TOS hadn't been nuked from orbit then i'd gladly go and get the receipts. however you're just going to have to take my word for it when i say that i was at the bottom of the list of people hating on shaka smart during his second season here, our 11-22 season. the bottom of the list. many of you will remember me cautioning the board that the team was absolutely not going to be very good. We had lost more talent and experience than probably any team in the country, but that didn't stop our fans from legitimately predicting that that team would be better than shaka's first team, which is just insane.

first we lost by 14 to a shitty colorado team. then we lose at home to UT-Arlington by 9. then #141 kent state beat us 63-58, again at home. we didn't even get to conference play before the board was just a toxic wasteland of people who'd been victimized by their own completely irrational hopes and beliefs.

believing that this current Texas roster could compete for the league title next year is completely irrational. I would be happy with a winning record in conference with this current roster as it's compiled. And yet we're out here seriously entertaining the idea that we don't even need to add any more players and we can compete for the league title as is. that's just straight up delusional fanboy homerism. it's ridiculous. 

17 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

If we add 1 more good guard we are a second round tournament team, but if we returned Dillon Mitchell we would have been a complete roster? Yeah, I don’t agree with that.

I would put our top 5-6 guys against most teams who will be the top 25. Down the stretch last year we played with basically 8 guys plus a few token minutes for Mitchell and Morris every night. Our ability to protect the rim was upgraded in a big way with Shedrick and Onyema. We are a solid wing away from having a damn good roster. We don’t need to go 10 deep with the experience we will have.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

Plus West Virginia currently has the #2 transfer class. They will be tough as always.

I just think our starting 5 is going to be really good. Maybe better than this year honestly. But our depth likely won’t be nearly as good.

West Virginia hasn't been tough in several years, they have finished in the lower half of the standings 3 of the past 4 non-covid seasons.

Our depth will be better this season, we actually have 3 bigs for the 1st time in many years. We have 3 strong guards, just like last year. We need a player that can play the Allen role, except add some range to help spread the court even more. That could be a big guard or a forward.

Edited by HtownHorn

I'm not even sure what Mitchell's fit is with Texas anymore if he did return. Oneyma can play minutes at the 4. It also sounds like they will try to play Shedrick and Disu together. Then you have Cunningham that also played minutes at the 4 last year. 

I would still love for Mitchell to return but to me the much bigger priority is finding a wing/bigger guard that can play the 3. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm not even sure what Mitchell's fit is with Texas anymore if he did return. Oneyma can play minutes at the 4. It also sounds like they will try to play Shedrick and Disu together. Then you have Cunningham that also played minutes at the 4 last year. 

I would still love for Mitchell to return but to me the much bigger priority is finding a wing/bigger guard that can play the 3. 

He has none. He has been replaced by Shedrick and Onyema. He doesn't have the consistent offense to play the role Allen played for the team last year, and has a much worse jumper than Timmy. You can't play Mitchell with any of the other 2 bigs for long stretches because the floor spacing would be awful.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

believing that this current Texas roster could compete for the league title next year is completely irrational. I would be happy with a winning record in conference with this current roster as it's compiled.

LOL

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

LOL

unimpressed michael keaton GIF

we went 10-8 in beard's first year in the league. if we were to not add a single player to this roster then yes, i and everyone else with any sense would be happy with a 10-8 record. 

eta: only ku, texas, baylor, and k state were above .500 in league play last year. 

Chris Beard is no longer our coach. I am tired of talking about what Beard did his first year and what he would do this year and blah blah blah. 

Terry is putting together a pretty good roster out of the portal. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Shut up bitch. You brought up Beard going to 10-8 two years ago. Why does that matter? Go jerk off your micro dick to Barnes videos and Ted Lasso sucks articles 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Fuck You 1

Gerry thinks the final 3 under consideration for the one rotation spot are Lawrence, Love, and Kaluma.

Gerry has changed his mind over night on Love's fit and Texas appears to be going after him to complete the rotation.

Here is what was written by an IT poster close to the UNC campus about Love.

Spoiler

Living a few minutes from the unc campus and having access to many home games, I feel like many folks have no idea what Caleb Love is capable of / about having read many comments about him here.

Hubert Davis is an idiot and has no idea what a rotation is. He legitimately plays six players and his offensive scheme focuses around Bacot playing inside out . When teams take that option away by doubling down on Bacot, the “offense” turns into hero three point ball. Puff Johnson and Brady Maneck can make this style look awesome, and many saw this last year when unc made their run to the finals.

This years team definitely lacked the shooting from last year. Bacot was banged up most of the season, RJ Davis and Love had to do a ton of heavy lifting with zero bench help. Teams were taking Bacot out of so many games and Love / Davis had no legitimate weapons to kick to when penetrating. This led to many hero ball moments this year. Davis caught a ton of hell for using such a tiny rotation and often had the players completely gassed by the middle of the 2nd half.

Look, Love isn’t going to tickle many fancies on paper, but context matters. He was sorely misused and asked to be a hero and that’s really not his strength in my opinion.

This kid can absolutely ball and would be a damn good addition to any team who knows how to use his athleticism and abilities. This talk about locker room issues etc is all bs. Kids a baller and has a legitimate desire to win. No one in Chapel Hill has any ill feeling towards Caleb. We lay most of the blame at Hubert’s feet.

TLDR: you absolutely want a Caleb Love on your roster. He has elite handles / athleticism and wants to win. A change of scenery with the right scheme can do wonders for kids like this.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Shut up bitch. You brought up Beard going to 10-8 two years ago. Why does that matter?

are you not able to read? his name was brought up one time in a completely germane addition to the conversation. nobody is talking about what beard would do this year at Texas, and yet you're somehow whining about that. grow up. 

26 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

we went 10-8 in beard's first year in the league. if we were to not add a single player to this roster then yes, i and everyone else with any sense would be happy with a 10-8 record. 

eta: only ku, texas, baylor, and k state were above .500 in league play last year. 

This roster is much better than what Beard rolled out his first season. Tre Mitchell was a fucking joke and our guard play was totally medicore. Our schedule will also likely be easier.

A lot of you are underrating how good Brock is going to be next season. Probably because he's an awkward white guy. He's going to be one of the best two-way players in the B12 - potentially coming off the bench. 

• Hook 'Em 1