Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

On 5/6/2023 at 1:18 PM, txhorns said:

This thread is a beating and should be nuked from existence.  Mods need to clean up this shit.  As the saying goes, when you run into one asshole then they are just an asshole but when everyone you run into is an asshole then you’re the asshole.  

asshole

Playing around with lineups a bit.  Assuming we add Sellers (or an equivalent G/F) and Rodman - and neither Hunter or Mitchell come back, I think the minutes would look something like this (with starters / closers in orange):

image.png.d7fe16da9dad2d3513ed76f48b548aed.png

Abmas, Weaver and Sellers are all used to playing big minutes so I don't think that would be a problem. This would definitely be a tournament team, but would still be pretty thin at guard.  Any injury or foul trouble and we would be in trouble.  If we add DJ Rodman, I think the minutes distribute pretty well at F/C, with the key players getting 22-26 mpg. 

If we add Hunter, things improve a lot IMO.  That would let us bring Weaver off the bench and either add another backup guard and reduce everyone's minutes or distribute all of the guard minutes between Hunter, Abmas and Weaver.

image.png.8455500c78b43bbad9cdda5c75f5d535.png

To me this looks like a team capable of making a deep tournament run.  There is a ton of versatility with all the guard / forward players. You can go small with Hunter + Abmas + Weaver + Brock + Disu.   You can go big with Abmas + Brock + Rodman + Disu + Shedrick.  Just about everyone can shoot.   Everyone can play defense.  Lots of out of position rebounding.  This would be a fun team to watch. 

14 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Gerry sent out the bat signal today on Rodman today. Texas is fully engaged with him, not with Sellers. Leading some to believe that the staff have their eyes on a specific guard.

Tyrin Lawrence pleaseee 🤞🏻 

14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Playing around with lineups a bit.  Assuming we add Sellers (or an equivalent G/F) and Rodman - and neither Hunter or Mitchell come back, I think the minutes would look something like this (with starters / closers in orange):

image.png.d7fe16da9dad2d3513ed76f48b548aed.png

Abmas, Weaver and Sellers are all used to playing big minutes so I don't think that would be a problem. This would definitely be a tournament team, but would still be pretty thin at guard.  Any injury or foul trouble and we would be in trouble.  If we add DJ Rodman, I think the minutes distribute pretty well at F/C, with the key players getting 22-26 mpg. 

If we add Hunter, things improve a lot IMO.  That would let us bring Weaver off the bench and either add another backup guard and reduce everyone's minutes or distribute all of the guard minutes between Hunter, Abmas and Weaver.

image.png.8455500c78b43bbad9cdda5c75f5d535.png

To me this looks like a team capable of making a deep tournament run.  There is a ton of versatility with all the guard / forward players. You can go small with Hunter + Abmas + Weaver + Brock + Disu.   You can go big with Abmas + Brock + Rodman + Disu + Shedrick.  Just about everyone can shoot.   Everyone can play defense.  Lots of out of position rebounding.  This would be a fun team to watch. 

I'd find a way to get Disu more minutes

Yeah, I agree.  That said, none of the bigs averaged more than 19 mpg last year.  26 for Disu and 24 for Shedrick would be a pretty big increase.  Shedrick averaged about 19 mpg the last 2 years.  Onyema played 20 mpg last year. 

image.png.a5abd6ec3cea377b71d5407e3eaf663c.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry earlier today, “My first thought to get this started ... I have put some thought into the Ron Holland situation ... and if I was Texas I'm not sure I would release him from his Letter of Intent should he opt for college.

Simply shouldn't let agents have all the power in college sports. It's not a good thing long term. Colleges have to have a way to retain some of the power.

The second agents became so powerful in college sports, I was worried.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Gerry earlier today, “My first thought to get this started ... I have put some thought into the Ron Holland situation ... and if I was Texas I'm not sure I would release him from his Letter of Intent should he opt for college.

Simply shouldn't let agents have all the power in college sports. It's not a good thing long term. Colleges have to have a way to retain some of the power.

The second agents became so powerful in college sports, I was worried.”

I don't hate the idea, in fact I love holding people accountable for their choices. But besides the negative optics going forward for recruiting, the coaching change and overall program turmoil the past year makes this the wrong case to set an example. Just let him go. One 18 year old that never sets foot on campus won't decide RT's fate.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao. Gerry said Texas is full engaged with Rodman then he picks usc. Sounds like that was quick engagement.

Gerry has proven to have zero clue about any of this shit this offseason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've always preferred the (alleged) Dodds/Mack approach:  if you don't want to be here, go.  

There really isn't much upside to forcing Holland to honor his NLI if he wants to play college ball.  The program has engendered some good will by firing Beard, don't fuck it up now.

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lmao. Gerry said Texas is full engaged with Rodman then he picks usc. Sounds like that was quick engagement.

He said Rodman was a priority for the staff and that they were talking to him. I don't get the "ah ha! Gerry was wrong!" complaint.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/9/2023 at 3:57 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

On 5/9/2023 at 4:24 PM, ztejas said:

Gerry has proven to have zero clue about any of this shit this offseason. 

All he said was Rodman was a priority target for the Texas staff. He was right about that. It’s not like he claimed he talked to Rodman’s camp and Rodman was going to sign with Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

somebody here said that gerry had "put up the bat signal" re: rodman which i think made it sois to a lot of us like rodman was going to commit to Texas.

Yeah, there appears to be some translation issues because Gerry didn't put up any kind of bat signal. This was word for word what he said in his last update before Rodman committed:

Screenshot2023-05-10at8_39_36PM.png.9a593e6f10016954c5e9357d3e1f4541.png

28 minutes ago, KingBobo81 said:

Tyrese posted on his IG that he was looking forward to seeing Kendrick Lamar at ACL, which means he would be in Austin in the fall. That will be $9.95 please.

We need one of our big time celebs to intro Tyrese to Lamar Kendrick.  Is Renee zelwegger into rap?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Maybe Rick can help Rodney out here.

i have no clue if Rick holds grudges, but he looks like a guy who is going to hold a grudge the rest of his life and take every opportunity to stab Texas in the back behind the scenes for the next 20 years.

i have no clue if Rick holds grudges, but he looks like a guy who is going to hold a grudge the rest of his life and take every opportunity to stab Texas in the back behind the scenes for the next 20 years.

He knew things were going south at the end of the Texas run and got to head closer to home for a fresh power 5 start and salary … I doubt he feels any lingering negativity forthe longhorn nation unless we are going head to head
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Assuming that’s the Mitchell replacement?

6’8 forward, just finished freshman year 

8.3ppg, 4.7rpg, shoots like crap, but 82% FT

He shot .545/.353/.829 during conference play which is encouraging. Interesting that his minutes went down drastically in the tournament, not sure what happened there (injury or Rick didn’t trust him under that much pressure?).

Personally I’ll wait for Gerry to send out the bat signal before getting too excited.

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry said that Georgetown is pushing for Sellers to commit right now, so if Texas bring him in for a visit then they are going all in. Also, mentioned there could be 2+ grad transfers that enter the portal late that Texas may be waiting on. Finally, if Authur Kaluma opts out of the draft, Arizona and Texas would be involved, but Gerry like the Tennessee kid more due to his potential jump in year two.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, VinyVango said:

He knew things were going south at the end of the Texas run and got to head closer to home for a fresh power 5 start and salary … I doubt he feels any lingering negativity forthe longhorn nation unless we are going head to head

Exactly my take, as well. Rick does not seem like the sort to hold a petty grudge.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, NoName said:

Rick was intense and if he held a grudge it would be against Patterson not the school imo.  And I think Rodney worked for him?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Rick was intense and if he held a grudge it would be against Patterson not the school imo.  And I think Rodney worked for him?

The Patterson comment is dead on. Its like everyone forgets the lovefest when he returned last January

“When I go to shootaround and I walk down the ramp to head into the Erwin Center, it will probably hit me more, I guess,” Barnes said. “I just have so many fond memories of Austin, but we’re coming to play a basketball game …

“I loved my time there. There were people who were a big part of my life.”

Barnes’ return resonates with those in and around the program. He’s already heard from former players and colleagues this week.

He took Texas to 16 NCAA Tournaments in 17 seasons from 1998-2015, including three regional finals and a Final Four in 2003. He recruited future All-Americans T.J. Ford, Kevin Durant and LaMarcus Aldridge and won three Big 12 titles.

“I’m only one small person in the whole operation here,” Beard said, “but my personal opinion is [Barnes] didn’t get the exit from Texas that he deserved. So we welcome this game back. I can’t wait to see coach and just thank him for everything he did for Texas basketball.”

By 2015, the program had plateaued and fan enthusiasm had waned. After an Elite Eight run in 2008, Texas never made it past the tournament’s first weekend. New athletic director Steve Patterson fired Barnes.

Barnes acknowledged Friday he had spoken with Tennessee even before the dismissal, fearing the worst, citing the firing of football coach Mack Brown by Patterson.

“I knew what he went through and how he was misled on some things,” Barnes said. “Obviously, I didn’t have a good relationship with Steve Patterson.”

Patterson had publicly called for Barnes to fire his staff if he wanted to stay. He left his farewell news conference and immediately caught a plane to Knoxville.

“That conversation had started before because of the trust level [at Texas] at the time,” Barnes said. “I was told one thing one day, something else the next day and back and forth. It was pretty clear what was going to happen.”

It’s also the final season for the Erwin Center, where Barnes coached his entire Texas tenure.

“There’s way too many memories in that building,” Barnes said. “I can’t tie it down to one or two.”

Gerry with a quick portal note on two targets:

Got clarity on the current SEC transfer rule

If a player isn’t in the portal by May 1, can’t transfer within the SEC

Tyrin Lawrence is good to go to another SEC school if he wants. Texas vs Auburn and Kentucky

Julian Phillips can not stay in SEC. Texas vs K-State, currently

• Hook 'Em 6