Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

If this ends up being our team in November, I would give the offseason a solid A.  This team would be expected to make the Sweet 16 or better. 

Starters:

• Tyrese Hunter
  • Max Abmas
  • Dillon Mitchell
  • Dylan Disu
  • Kaden Shedrick

Bench

• Brock Cunningham
  • Chendall Weaver
  • Ze'Rik Onyema
  • Alex Anamekwe
  • Gavin Perryman

Swap Hunter for Tyrin Lawrence and it is still a solid A.  Swap Dillon Mitchell for another top-tier wing and it still might be an A depending on the wing.  Grab another really good combo guard and it moves up to A+ 

I think it is very likely that we will see a leap from Dillon Mitchell if he comes back. I also think Tyrese Hunter is going to be much better, possibly All-Conference caliber.

• Hook 'Em 4

39 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If he gets Weaver and the UTEP guy, that’s a pretty darn good portal class he got + Disu coming back. If Hunter does comes back too, I’d give the off-season a B- so far

A solid B if he also pulls Todd Wright from LAC to replace Reilly 

Gets Mitchell back somehow? B+

Dude if we get Mitchell and Hunter to return plus Abmas and Shedrick that's a solid A. Anyone expecting AJ and Holland to both stay committed is kidding themselves. Terry didn't have time to reasses the HS recruiting landscape. 

Shedrick, Abmas, Weaver and Onyema would be a very good transfer haul (B+ easily), but there are probably at least 2 guys who we don't even know exist yet that will be on next year's team. Whether that comes from portal entries over the next week, a late 2023 signee or someone who asked out of their LOI at their previous school, grad transfer that enters the portal over the summer, guys who is going through the NBA draft progress and don't like their feedback, etc. remains to be seen.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Shedrick, Abmas, Weaver and Onyema would be a very good transfer haul (B+ easily), but there are probably at least 2 guys who we don't even know exist yet that will be on next year's team. Whether that comes from portal entries over the next week, a late 2023 signee or someone who asked out of their LOI at their previous school, grad transfer that enters the portal over the summer, guys who is going through the NBA draft progress and don't like their feedback, etc. remains to be seen.

Any chance we get that Laurence kid?

46 minutes ago, HookEm said:

If this ends up being our team in November, I would give the offseason a solid A.  This team would be expected to make the Sweet 16 or better. 

Starters:

• Tyrese Hunter
  • Max Abmas
  • Dillon Mitchell
  • Dylan Disu
  • Kaden Shedrick

Bench

• Brock Cunningham
  • Chendall Weaver
  • Ze'Rik Onyema
  • Alex Anamekwe
  • Gavin Perryman

Swap Hunter for Tyrin Lawrence and it is still a solid A.  Swap Dillon Mitchell for another top-tier wing and it still might be an A depending on the wing.  Grab another really good combo guard and it moves up to A+ 

I think it is very likely that we will see a leap from Dillon Mitchell if he comes back. I also think Tyrese Hunter is going to be much better, possibly All-Conference caliber.

when harry met sally ill have what shes having GIF

49 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

We need to stop including Gavin Perryman in these rotation projections. The guy shouldn't be playing any significant minutes outside of when we kick the crap out of Houston Christian and Arkansas Pine Bluff in the 'Chris Beard classic'.

That is why I had him in the #10 spot.  As such I wouldn’t expect more than a few minutes of garbage time.

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

If he gets Weaver and the UTEP guy, that’s a pretty darn good portal class he got + Disu coming back. If Hunter does comes back too, I’d give the off-season a B- so far

A solid B if he also pulls Todd Wright from LAC to replace Reilly 

Gets Mitchell back somehow? B+

How do we get an A tho?!?!

Big Brother Omg GIF by Global TV

In some pretty damned risky territory.  We have 5 scholarship players committed, and one of those guys (Anamekwe) projects as a pure bench/complimentary piece.  To be a projected Sweet 16 team, we have to add at least 2 premium talents plus another 2 solid contributors.  Sure, the 9 player roster posted above looks pretty good.  But that would basically mean getting 90% of the talent we are hoping for.  Shit is scary.  Losing Holland was fucked.

Edited by Snake Diggity

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Terry didn't have time to reasses the HS recruiting landscape. 

I think people really overlook this point. Keeping him as interim all season kept him from being able to do any real HS recruiting 

The landscape has changed so much with the portal that I don’t know how important HS recruiting really is now. But there’s no doubt that keeping RT as interim knee capped him there 

we had the #11 recruiting class in the country when RT got the job, and the entire class (who have since decommitted) spent the entire season pumping up RT. we didn't need RT to do any recruiting, it was already done. it's only become a problem now that he's got the job and the entire class said, "yeah, about playing at Texas...". 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5

11 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he's a Texas Basketball letterman who is celebrating Texas Basketball and his beloved Rodney Terry losing one of its best players to a rival school in a transition year. it would be one thing if it was one congratulatory/well wishing tweet; it's double digit tweets. he literally did not make this many tweets about Texas reaching the elite 8. for him to celebrate Texas losing an important player to a key rival in such an over-the-top manner is a giant middle finger to Texas Basketball, to his his former teammates, and to Rodney Terry. we have fans holding out hope that he's coming back, meanwhile he is over the moon that we've lost arterio morris to a rival team. there's no way to spin that that that's positive, or even neutral. that's a "fuck you" to Texas.  

I am going to make a suggestion but you're probably not going to listen. You need to lighten up. Seriously. It's one thing to be an enthusiastic fan but you are way over the edge. You're going to give yourself a heart attack. These are 18 and 19 year old kids. Most have been pampered since they were 12. These kids think that they can come to school and dominate from Day 1. When it doesn't happen, it's always someone else's fault. They have "uncles" who are looking for a payday and will listen to anyone that gets their ear.

No one on this site including you wants this program to be more successful than me. And it's not even close. Quit hanging on to everything these kids say. Just lighten up and see how things play next season. Just calm down. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

If Ron Holland is playing meaningful minutes in meaningful games in March next year, I'll fist myself.

57 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

If Ron Holland is playing meaningful minutes in meaningful games in March next year, I'll fist myself.

Like, in which orifice?  

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

we had the #11 recruiting class in the country when RT got the job, and the entire class (who have since decommitted) spent the entire season pumping up RT. we didn't need RT to do any recruiting, it was already done. it's only become a problem now that he's got the job and the entire class said, "yeah, about playing at Texas...". 

So #11 recruiting class is the ceiling? No way RT could have potentially recruited a better class without the "interim" tag?

4 hours ago, realgreggym said:

I am going to make a suggestion but you're probably not going to listen. You need to lighten up. Seriously. It's one thing to be an enthusiastic fan but you are way over the edge. You're going to give yourself a heart attack. These are 18 and 19 year old kids. Most have been pampered since they were 12. These kids think that they can come to school and dominate from Day 1. When it doesn't happen, it's always someone else's fault. They have "uncles" who are looking for a payday and will listen to anyone that gets their ear.

No one on this site including you wants this program to be more successful than me. And it's not even close. Quit hanging on to everything these kids say. Just lighten up and see how things play next season. Just calm down. 

This might be your best post ever, greg. Even though it was addressed to Derka, it was much better than your usual Derka baiting. Thank you for sharing some genuine wisdom.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

This might be your best post ever, greg. Even though it was addressed to Derka, it was much better than your usual Derka baiting. Thank you for sharing some genuine wisdom.

Braff, thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. Let me tell you why I go after derka and feel free to tell me I'm wrong. Everyone is entitled to post their opinions. But when he posts his opinion, he thinks it's fact. You have seen this dozens of times where someone will voice a different opinion and he attacks them as they are wrong because they disagree with him. He also gets so worked up about this stuff and it's extremely unhealthy IMO.  I think that he posted in the past about some health issues and this just makes things worse.

He has every right to post as much as he wants but he needs to calm down when disagreeing with another poster. One other thing., a while back I thought that a couple of posters were taking a cheap shot and so I responded in kind. I was fortunate that fletch sent me a private message because he could tell that I didn't understand the posts that we made about me. He explained that they were not taking cheap shots at me but rather laughing with me He explained to me that their comments were actually lines from a famous movie that I was unaware of.  So there are times when it's me. But most of the time my posts are brilliant. I am like the 5 star kid that doesn't go to the various camps, so I get only 3 stars. The inhumanity. Again, I appreciate your post. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean let’s see us win games first before the Rodney foam fingers gloat too. Or is that a different standard?

I just saw him win the B12 tourney and 3 games in the tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 2