Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

True! What was I thinking! Can’t have concerns or anything around here. Foam fingers all around for everyone! 

This thread has been a beating for a solid month thanks to a bunch of posters like you rubbing their vaginas and doing victory laps about how terrible Terry is anytime anything remotely negative happens. We're going to be fine going into next season. Maybe everything falls apart but we were literally one of the best 5 teams in the country with Terry coaching us last season and he will have - at worst - 85% of the talent he had last season available. Any rational fan should be excited about 2023. We just made the fucking elite eight and are doing a pretty damn good job restocking the cupboard so far and could still get Hunter back and potentially even Mitchell. 

Maybe Terry flames out at UT but there is nothing tangible yet to suggest that going back to when he was named interim HC. Everything so far this offseason has gone basically about as expected although I figured if Holland decommited it would have been sooner. On the flip side I didn't anticipate getting a pipe-hitter like Frank Haith on the staff as an assistant.

• Hook 'Em 8

Just now, ztejas said:

This thread has been a beating for a solid month thanks to a bunch of posters like you rubbing their vaginas and doing victory laps about how terrible Terry is anytime anything remotely negative happens. We're going to be fine going into next season. Maybe everything falls apart but we were literally one of the best 5 teams in the country with Terry coaching us last season and he will have - at worst - 85% of the talent he had last season available. Any rational fan should be excited about 2023. We just made the fucking elite eight and are doing a pretty damn good job restocking the cupboard so far and could still get Hunter back and potentially even Mitchell. 

Maybe Terry flames out at UT but there is nothing tangible yet to suggest that going back to when he was named interim HC. Everything so far this offseason has gone basically about as expected although I figured if Holland decommited it would have been sooner. On the flip side I didn't anticipate getting a pipe-hitter like Frank Haith on the staff as an assistant.

Lol literally no one said anything and you stirred the pot, yet if it’s derka that makes a comment guys like you lose their shit. Fuck off. I said great news let’s get some more. Don’t thread shit then be a whiny pussy when someone fires back at you. 

2 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Lol literally no one said anything and you stirred the pot, yet if it’s derka that makes a comment guys like you lose their shit. Fuck off. I said great news let’s get some more. Don’t thread shit then be a whiny pussy when someone fires back at you. 

If I stirred the pot then you self-identified as a Rodney Terry doomer. Not that that surprises anybody here.

What does our depth chart look like with these new additions? I am glad we are loading up with experienced players. RT has shown he can win with experienced guys, so maybe this is the better model for us going forward. 

How many more are we looking to add? I guess we won't know the answer until we see what happens with Hunter and Mitchell.

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Saying great pickup let’s go get some more definitely screams doomer! Way to crack the case genius. 

Where did you say “great pickup, let’s go get some more” ? Was that what you actually meant when you posted “Foam finger #1 fan I am yeahhh!” ?

I mean no offense when I type this and this isn't directed at anyone - but I don't think many fans understand just how much of a machine Texas basketball can be - and in that vein just how easy it is going to be to win here going forward. 

Losing Beard fucking sucked. It really did. In no way do I think we are going to be as good under Terry as we would have been under Beard were everything to fall right.

But here's the thing: he had personal issues with relationships at the very least and probably with alcohol and he got arrested for a felony and as a result his long term relationship with Texas became untenable. Not everything fell right. In fact it was basically the opposite.

The guy that took over before conference play even started led Texas to an outright 2nd place finish in the B12, a B12 tournament title (the first legitimate one in program history) and an elite eight appearance. And would have likely gotten to the Final Four sans a couple untimely injuries.

We have that guy at the helm (who, also, has spent a decade with Texas baskebtall in some fashion or another). We have a long, long time college coach who's spent the better part of the last 30 seasons as either an assistant or HC at nationally recognizable programs as his right hand man. We have a brand new arena that has already proven to provide a measurable HCA. We have the most nationally recognizable brand among any university and an NBA super-superstar who is still playing. 

And this is all falling into place at a time when Texas can just straight up moneywhip and imagewhip other schools out of the picture when it comes to NIL. 

Terry doesn't even have to be a great coach on gameday for Texas to go on a legitimate run here. He just has to put the pieces together and let the machine work for him. So far he's fucking nailed it. Anyone that might argue otherwise is either delusional or just straight up hoping for him to fail. 

Let's get Tyrese on board this bitch and let's fucking run it. This is the new Texas basketball. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

Roster right now not including the guys who should never play is:

G Abmas

G Weaver

F Anamekwe

F Cunningham

F Disu

F Onyemi

C Shedrick

Definitely need another guard and preferably a guard/SF type as well.  Hunter and Mitchell back would mostly complete our roster.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

What does our depth chart look like with these new additions? I am glad we are loading up with experienced players. RT has shown he can win with experienced guys, so maybe this is the better model for us going forward. 

How many more are we looking to add? I guess we won't know the answer until we see what happens with Hunter and Mitchell.

PG - Abmas

SG - Wever

F - TBD

F - Disu

C - Shedrick

Bench

Oneyema, Cunningham, Anamewke

Obviously, Hunter returning fills a big hole in the starting lineup and bench, as Weaver may move to the 6th man Rice role. Still need 2 more guards (1 if Hunter returns), and a wing. I would hope with the NIL that Holland freed up, we go after the guard from Vandy as the 3rd guard/wing.

6 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Roster right now not including the guys who should never play is:

G Abmas

G Weaver

F Anamekwe

F Cunningham

F Disu

F Onyemi

C Shedrick

Definitely need another guard and preferably a guard/SF type as well.  Hunter and Mitchell back would mostly complete our roster.

Hunter and the guard from Vanderbilt over Mitchell would be my dream roster.

Returning (6): Disu, Cunningham, Anamekwe, Perryman, Bott, Clark

Out (6): Carr, Rice, Allen, Bishop, Morris, Brumbaugh

In (5): Abmas, Weaver, Onyemi, Shedrick, Prince

TBD (2): Hunter, Mitchell

If we get Hunter and Mitchell back, this should be a Sweet 16 team. Up to 4 scholarships left.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Returning (6): Disu, Cunningham, Anamekwe, Perryman, Bott, Clark

Out (6): Carr, Rice, Allen, Bishop, Morris, Brumbaugh

In (5): Abmas, Weaver, Onyemi, Shedrick, Prince

TBD (2): Hunter, Mitchell

If we get Hunter and Mitchell back, this should be a Sweet 16 team. Up to 4 scholarships left.

Who the hell is Prince? Prince Ibeh?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I expect Hunter to come back. 

Sounds like he and Mitchell are still deciding, though. My brother is good friends with someone extremely close to the situation and they have no idea on what Mitchell and Hunter are doing. 

9 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Terry is now 2-0 against Beard in the portal. Beard wanted both Weaver and Oynemi. Neither wanted to even visit.

that's one way to look at it. a different, more likely accurate way to put it would be that these two guys chose to go to Texas over Ole Miss, something hundreds of recruits have been doing for decades. unless of course you think that if RT was at Ole Miss and Beard was still at Texas that RT would be winning these recruits while Beard couldn't get any interest from them.

• Hook 'Em 1

there are very very very very few "RT Doomers". 98% of the people here fall into two categories:

camp one:

•RT would never have been on our list of candidates under normal circumstances. i'm rooting for him with a wait-and-see approach before being too judgmental. he's got plenty of leeway and room to grow. 

camp two:

•RT RT HE'S OUR MAN, IF CAN'T DO IT, NO ONE CAN!!!! (and anyone who says anything less than positive about him or his performance is a hypercritical piece of shit who hates RT for no reason and therefore is my sworn enemy 😡😡😡)

camp two are a bunch of sunshine pumping looney toons who are intent on bombasticizing any and all fair criticism of RT and/or his performance, and who literally respond to the news of every single new commit by immediately talking ad hominem shit to/about anyone who isn't a member of their cult. you know, the type of people to hear about a new commit, call me out by name over it, and then complain when i respond to that post. looney tunes.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's got plenty of leeway and room to grow. 

I was with you until this point. Every single time anything bad happens, Group 1 falls all over themselves to remind everyone that RT is not and never has been our standard.

It is a beating. And because if that, Group 2 overreacts to any good news.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I was with you until this point. Every single time anything bad happens, Group 1 falls all over themselves to remind everyone that RT is not and never has been our standard.

this just isn't true. this is you, group one, bombasticizing what are in reality normal reactions to bad news. other than maybe one poster i don't think i've seen anyone here slam RT or declare him a failure. people have simply been bummed and upset as the team lost countless players and coaches without adding anyone (save frank haith) in their place, as was the case for nearly a month. nobody declared RT a bust, they literally just kept saying, "i thought the big selling point on RT was that everyone was going to return if we hired him." you guys have continued to blow these kinds of comments out of proportion. hence the "looney tunes sunshine pumper" label.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry also mentioned a while back that he doesn’t expect Texas to use all 13 scholarship. Said 11 is most likely.

If we have 11 scholarship kids, then 2 walk ons may get the last 2. The only way a walk on gets a scholarship if there are any leftover once the roster is settled.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this just isn't true. this is you, group one, bombasticizing what are in reality normal reactions to bad news. other than maybe one poster i don't think i've seen anyone here slam RT or declare him a failure. people have simply been bummed and upset as the team lost countless players and coaches without adding anyone (save frank haith) in their place, as was the case for nearly a month. nobody declared RT a bust, they literally just kept saying, "i thought the big selling point on RT was that everyone was going to return if we hired him." you guys have continued to blow these kinds of comments out of proportion. hence the "looney tunes sunshine pumper" label.

Derka I love you my man and I have respect for you and I'd hope that you respect me as well. 

You need to step away from the ledge. This isn't an argument or contest or exhibition among any of us. I know you fucking adore Texas basketball just like I do.

Listen to me when I tell you that we're going to be okay. Losing Beard fucking sucked a million dicks. I get it. But - my guy - we're doing okay. Terry has a handle on this shit and I think you're going to be surprised by the success he has here.

If he totally blows dicks then you can come back here and quote this two years from now and say "I told you so".

But I don't think you want that because me and you want the same thing. 

Give this guy a season. Please. He's earned it. He doesn't owe you shit - he just took Texas to the elite eight for the first time in 15 years.

Take a deep breath my friend. And RIP Lance Blanks. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

He may not have the flashy scoring stats of Abmas, but I am fired up for Weaver. That was such a huge get and the guy has 3 years of eligibility. He is going to impact us in a ton of different ways.

agreed. having a guy of his caliber who will (we believe) be here for three years is definitely the kind of news we need around here. i like it both from the standpoint of watching a guy grow into a senior leader, and from the viewpoint that he should hopefully become the kind of upperclassman who helps recruit other studs to come join him at Texas. the love for Texas that Bishop, Carr, and Allen displayed in coming back for one final season was awesome, and i would love to see more of that going forward.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

PG - Abmas

SG - Wever

F - TBD

F - Disu

C - Shedrick

Bench

Oneyema, Cunningham, Anamewke

Obviously, Hunter returning fills a big hole in the starting lineup and bench, as Weaver may move to the 6th man Rice role. Still need 2 more guards (1 if Hunter returns), and a wing. I would hope with the NIL that Holland freed up, we go after the guard from Vandy as the 3rd guard/wing.

Hunter and the guard from Vanderbilt over Mitchell would be my dream roster.

If Hunter comes back I'd love to see a 3 guard line up used occasionally that can hit 3s from anywhere on the court. 

Looking for a SF type through 247 portal track what about the following:

David Jones, St Johns
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/david-jones-10.html

Anthony Seldon, Gardner-Webb
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/anthony-selden-1.html

Myron Gardner, Little Rock
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/myron-gardner-1.html

Edited by BurntOrange&White

12 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I mean let’s see us win games first before the Rodney foam fingers gloat too. Or is that a different standard?

There may be a few Rodney foam fingers, but most of us who have been complaining about all the premature negativity are simply Texas foam fingers.  Unless the coach is being arrested on suspicion of committing felonies...or worse, winning games should always be the standard. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

Imo group 2 for the most part has also been critical of RT.  Many of us said the Holland decommit was not good

Why can’t I be excited about Abmas, Weaver, Disu returning, Shedrick and also upset about Holland and Johnson but also meh on Morris but also concerned about Mitchell 

Why must you fit me in your arbitrary boxes

Fx Networks Indian GIF by Reservation Dogs

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Why can’t I be excited about Abmas, Weaver, Disu returning, Shedrick and also upset about Holland and Johnson but also meh on Morris but also concerned about Mitchell 

Why must you fit me in your arbitrary boxes

Fx Networks Indian GIF by Reservation Dogs

So there’s a third box?  I might be ok with that.  Depending

I'm still shocked at how many people have already decided if RT is going to be a failure or a success here.  I really don't understand why we're not all in the cautious optimism camp, except that it's impossible to do an "I told you so" and get one million internet cool points from there.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You really don't need 13 scholarship players anymore because you won't ever play that many and 2-3 year developmental project recruits aren't necessary anymore with the portal.

The project players aren’t necessary but are very beneficial if you can develop them and keep them for all 4 years.  You should always have a couple of those guys at the end of your bench if possible.

39 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm still shocked at how many people have already decided if RT is going to be a failure or a success here.  I really don't understand why we're not all in the cautious optimism camp, except that it's impossible to do an "I told you so" and get one million internet cool points from there.

I just don’t think we have enough data….checks calendar…..5 weeks in.  Seems like he’s getting the guys he wants in the portal?

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

You really don't need 13 scholarship players anymore because you won't ever play that many and 2-3 year developmental project recruits aren't necessary anymore with the portal.

I don't know if I agree with the last part. I think 11-12 might be the ideal number to where you always have 1-2 shcolarships for portal. But in no way should you give up on developmental guys...you just need to identify the right ones. For instance, Brock Cunningham is the ideal role guy for your program that fits that kind of bill.

So if Hunter returns, we still need 1 more guard and a wing?

Obviously we can’t go into the season with only 3 healthy scholarship guards in Hunter, Abmas and Weaver. Ask Vic Schaefer how that works out. 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So if Hunter returns, we still need 1 more guard and a wing?

Obviously we can’t go into the season with only 3 healthy scholarship guards in Hunter, Abmas and Weaver. Ask Vic Schaefer how that works out. 

Yep. We had 4 guards last year, so we need one more guard if Hunter returns. Gerry said today that the coaching staff is waiting out the end of the portal and kids pulling out of the draft. They are taking a very deliberate approach, which seems to be working. 10 days ago, Weaver was still at UTA.

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Obviously we can’t go into the season with only 3 healthy scholarship guards in Hunter, Abmas and Weaver.

Perryman FTW!  I can see it now.  Abmas gets hurt in the NCAA Title game.  Perryman finally gets PT.  Hits like 5 3s and Disney makes a movie about him in 20 years.

Personally I would like to see Cunningham get big minutes at the 3.  He was part of like 4 of our best 5 lineups last year.  (Does anybody still have that post?)  He makes winning plays and makes others better.  Give the dude 25 minutes a game and watch us win.