Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry with a quick portal note on two targets:

Got clarity on the current SEC transfer rule

If a player isn’t in the portal by May 1, can’t transfer within the SEC

Tyrin Lawrence is good to go to another SEC school if he wants. Texas vs Auburn and Kentucky

Julian Phillips can not stay in SEC. Texas vs K-State, currently

Phillips is currently putting up really impressive numbers at the NBA combine, he might not come back to college.

After a shaky start I feel pretty good about our squad next year. I trust Terry to pick up a couple more key pieces. And if Mitchell comes back with Hunter then wow…

I’m surprised Holland hasn’t committed to anyone yet. Maybe he overestimated his NIL value 

2 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

After a shaky start I feel pretty good about our squad next year. I trust Terry to pick up a couple more key pieces. And if Mitchell comes back with Hunter then wow…

I’m surprised Holland hasn’t committed to anyone yet. Maybe he overestimated his NIL value 

Mitchell supposedly shot well at the combine.  Probably not coming back 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

he was never coming back. when he announced he was leaving he announced that he had no intentions of coming back barring serious injury. i cannot comprehend why people have continued to monitor him as if he might return to Texas. he told us from the jump that he wasn't coming back. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Don’t think Holland can do anything until UT releases him from his NLI.

The Ball St guard Jaylin Sellers is visiting UCF right now, so we don’t seem to be pursuing too hard at the moment. Not sure what Tyrese is waiting for if he’s planning on coming back. It looks like there’s a dead period from May 18-26 so maybe the activity will start up again after that and some guys withdraw from the draft.

15 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Don’t think Holland can do anything until UT releases him from his NLI.

The Ball St guard Jaylin Sellers is visiting UCF right now, so we don’t seem to be pursuing too hard at the moment. Not sure what Tyrese is waiting for if he’s planning on coming back. It looks like there’s a dead period from May 18-26 so maybe the activity will start up again after that and some guys withdraw from the draft.

Tyrese recently had a death in the family (his grandmother I believe) so that's delaying his decision. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Big difference between shooting in drills and shooting in game situations. 

Mitchell looked exactly like he did at Texas in year 1 in the scrimmage today. 1/6 from the field and looked extremely limited offensively. 

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He hasn't shown anything other than drills. 

The first scrimmage was exactly why Mitchell didn't play much at Texas. He was -9 and the worst or 2nd worst player on his team. 

He clearly just wants to go to the league, but I think he’s trying to keep things cordial with Texas in case he has to come back.

I agree about the drills thing. Ben Simmons can hit jumpers in drills too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

He clearly just wants to go to the league, but I think he’s trying to keep things cordial with Texas in case he has to come back.

I agree about the drills thing. Ben Simmons can hit jumpers in drills too.

Yeah, I just find this "Texas misused 5 star FR" narrative to be comically dumb. The first scrimmage was exactly why Texas didn't utilize Mitchell offensively and also why they didn't play him much. 

He's simply not a good player yet. He's an athletic freak with no game.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Derka told me he was never coming back though. Why should we listen to what the young man himself has to say?!?!?

the young man himself is the one who said he had no intentions of coming back. it's only been posted about 10x now. also, he just said that he still doesn't plan to return, so just a dynamite all around post. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

the young man himself is the one who said he had no intentions of coming back. it's only been posted about 10x now. also, he just said that he still doesn't plan to return, so just a dynamite all around post. 

He said "the door is open." Can you show me where he said "I have no intention of coming back?"

Of course you can't. Because he never said it.

• Fuck You 1

54 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

He said "the door is open." Can you show me where he said "I have no intention of coming back?"

you're so fucking argumentative and you have zero clue what you're talking about. the receipts have been posted here multiple times. gerry himself has said from jump street that the only reason mitchell is maintaining eligibility is in case of an injury during the pre draft process, and that he does not intend to return to Texas. today he reiterated that he is "definitely leaning towards staying in the draft", and you're in here picking fights with me over that because somehow to you that makes it sound like he might return. you're a fucking idiot.

Edited by shadow_operative

IMG_2324.thumb.jpeg.bdfd227b169de6e32150c142bd576f0c.jpeg

that's from 10 days ago, and it wasn't breaking news then either, it was a reiteration of what had already been said from jump street. 

go ahead and remember this interaction the next time you tell me to "go outside", as if you aren't in here starting shit with me for fun. you know that you don't know what you're talking about and yet you've chosen this path anyway. like i said, you're a fucking idiot.

18 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

you're so fucking argumentative and you have zero clue what you're talking about. the receipts have been posted here multiple times. gerry himself has said from jump street that the only reason mitchell is maintaining eligibility is in case of an injury during the pre draft process, and that he does not intend to return to Texas. today he reiterated that he is "definitely leaning towards staying in the draft", and you're in here picking fights with me over that because somehow to you that makes it sound like he might return. you're a fucking idiot.

Can you show me where he said "I have no intention of coming back?"

You can curse and bitch and moan all you like but that doesn't change the fact that you can't back up your strongly worded assertion with any actual evidence.

PS "Gerry himself said" isn't evidence. Gerry has said a lot of shit that has turned out to be incorrect. 

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

IMG_2324.thumb.jpeg.bdfd227b169de6e32150c142bd576f0c.jpeg

that's from 10 days ago, and it wasn't breaking news then either, it was a reiteration of what had already been said from jump street. 

go ahead and remember this interaction the next time you tell me to "go outside", as if you aren't in here starting shit with me for fun. you know that you don't know what you're talking about and yet you've chosen this path anyway. like i said, you're a fucking idiot.

"Not expected to return" and 100% won't return and has said so are two WILDLY different things.

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

Can you show me where he said "I have no intention of coming back?"

i was going to say that nobody can possibly be this dense, but then again you think that motown is in west virginia. hey idiot- he's publicly telling Texas fans that the door is still open, while privately telling people that he has no intentions of returning to Texas barring injury. this has been reported on for over a month now. i'm not going back and forth with your stupid ass over this anymore. you are completely clueless yet intent on arguing. go take a fucking walk.

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Gerry said Texas is interested again in Caleb Love. Said it has nothing to do with Hunter (still trending positively).

Even he admitted that it doesn’t make much sense on the surface in terms of a fit but the interest is there.

I hated watching Caleb Love play last year. I am not a fan. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, VinyVango said:

I rather have a “we” guy who plays good defense and has decent basketball iq

I realize Jabari Rice's don't exactly grow on trees, but he was my favorite UT basketball player in a long long time. I'm very grateful to have been given the opportunity to watch him for the one season he played for us. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

I rather have a “we” guy who plays good defense and has decent basketball iq

Love can really score. 

The same could have been said of Carr before Texas. Players that can score don't grow on trees at this level which is why even with their faults Love and Carr are/were ranked as top transfers. 

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He can score 17 a game on like 38% shooting.  In the tournament 2 years ago he looked like a stud (until the title game anyway), but otherwise he’s been a volume shooting bricklayer.

Yeah, which is who Marcus Carr was before Texas. 

Volume shooters still have a ton of value in college basketball. You need scorers even if they are slightly inefficient. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Marcus Carr really didn’t have a ton of value his fist year here.  He only became valuable when he stopped being inefficient the next year.  I don’t think Caleb Love will make that leap.  Also, he’s WAY less efficient than Carr was at Minnesota.  He’s never shot better than .378 from the floor in 3 years of heavy minutes at a school with plenty of talent around him.

An inefficient volume guy is worse to have than an average guy.  Efficiency is ultimately the whole differentiating factor at this level.  It’s not like you need him taking and missing shots because everyone else would shoot an even lower percentage if you tried to run offense with them.  He’s a net negative unless the shot selection and attitude completely changes. 

This is deja vu from reading the takes on Marcus Carr. 

Yes, the efficiency needs to improve but he still averaged 18 points a game at the P5 level. Schools like Texas, Michigan, Missouri, Illinois, Memphis, and Indiana all have interest in this guy because these types aren't common in the portal. The same reason he's ranked so high in the portal rankings by almost everyone. 

Give me a guy that averages 18 points a game in a P5 conference any day of the week and hope you can improve his efficiency with a better system/culture/coaching. 

ppg is not the bottom line. efficiency is. this team that just went to the elite 8 did so not be wise they had a guy who scored 18 ppg, but because they had five guys who could efficiently score and defend in different ways. i want nothing to do with Love, or anyone else like him. the goal is to win games, not have one guy score a bunch of points.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

ppg is not the bottom line. efficiency is. this team that just went to the elite 8 did so not be wise they had a guy who scored 18 ppg, but because they had five guys who could efficiently score and defend in different ways. i want nothing to do with Love, or anyone else like him. the goal is to win games, not have one guy score a bunch of points.

But that's who Marcus Carr was before Texas. 

You still need scorers. Carr was an inefficient scorer that became a more efficient player under a better system, culture, and coach. If that's your argument then we should have never taken Carr. 

also Carr >> Love at minnesota and unc respectively. carr was a better shooter, he got to the line 7 times per game, and he averaged 5 assists and 4 rebounds to go along with his 19.4 ppg. and it still took carr a year to adjust + being surrounded by experienced talent (specifically the addition of jabari rice) before he became the type of player we wanted/needed him to be. no way i want a clearly lesser version of him joining this inexperienced team that doesn't have chris beard at the helm.

edited to add: also let's stop acting like they're the same player. being inefficient volume shooters is where the comparisons stop. Carr is much more polished, well rounded, and less selfish than Love, with a higher basketball IQ. they're not the same guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I see how a guy carrying a bad Minnesota team puts up a lot of bad shots and then improves his efficiency when he goes to a better team much more easily than I see the guy who just tanked preseason number 1 UNC’s team by being a ball hog turning into a good soldier at Texas or Michigan or wherever.   Hubert Davis is probably a pretty bad coach who will let UNC slip until he’s gone, but that’s about the only hope I see for the idea that Love is going to do a 180 somewhere else.

A lot of big programs disagree with you. Just watch how many tournament caliber teams are going to be interested in Love. 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

A lot of big programs disagree with you. Just watch how many tournament caliber teams are going to be interested in Love. 

so what? what's that got to do with him being a good fit at Texas? lots of big programs also wanted Devin Askew, while not being interested in jabari rice. who cares what some other big programs want, adding caleb love would essentially be adding a poison pill to this roster.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

edited to add: also let's stop acting like they're the same player. being inefficient volume shooters is where the comparisons stop. Carr is much more polished, well rounded, and less selfish than Love, with a higher basketball IQ. they're not the same guy.

Yeah, this just isn't true. Pittsburgh and Minnesota fans all called him a selfish ballhog. These descriptions are funny because it's the exact description of Carr. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

so what? what's that got to do with him being a good fit at Texas? lots of big programs also wanted Devin Askew, while not being interested in jabari rice. who cares what some other big programs want, adding caleb love would essentially be adding a poison pill to this roster.

Sure, you can find anomalies. Good programs wanting a player is normally a good indicator a player has value. Seems like common sense to me. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Sure, you can find anomalies. Good programs wanting a player is normally a good indicator a player has value. Seems like common sense to me. 

well then your common sense meter probably needs adjusting. do you think that every player that kelvin sampson, rick barnes, or chris beard recruits is someone who automatically needs to be recruited Tommy Lloyd, Mark Few, and Nate Oats? or is it possible that each program has its own style, roster configuration, and experience level that dictates who they should go after? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

well then your common sense meter probably needs adjusting. do you think that every player that kelvin sampson, rick barnes, or chris beard recruits is someone who automatically needs to be recruited Tommy Lloyd, Mark Few, and Nate Oats? or is it possible that each program has its own style, roster configuration, and experience level that dictates who they should go after? 

This is such a straw man. Just because every top team or coach doesn't go after a player doesn't mean there isn't value from that player. When 5 or 6 tournament teams from last year are after a player my assumption is that "player must have pretty good value" based on the teams after him. 

Now does that always turn out to be true. No but that's not the point.