Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

7 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Impossible imo.  He’s had 19 jobs. Many away from Austin.   But hey Rodney was the only hc who would t or could t keep him. 

The recent town lake strangler* we’ll see if the bodies stop now that Donewald is out of here and on to his next pool of victims.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I actually believe Donewald did well in his time here,  however your point highlights the very thing I'm saying. We don't have a clue which ones are the good or bad assistants. Our view of them is solely based on how we feel about the coach who brings them in.   

my view on him is based on his career as an assistant at middling programs where RT was his HC. 

does anyone here think that Kansas, Baylor, or Houston had any interest in being this guy? 

7 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

It's clear the guy just hired is in a support role. Some people just like to yell at clouds. 

SCOFF. reality is that some people absolutely cannot handle hearing anything critical or judgmental about RT, and when they do they derail the thread with tangential arguments and whining. 

also, are you saying that this new guy's role doesn't matter at all? who cares what his qualifications are, because his job has no effect in our program? then why did we hire him? why are we paying him a salary?why is he on staff when his job literally doesn't matter?

its clear that is i'm really really really hard for a lot of you to accept, but based on his HC careeer to this point RT is arguably the worst coach in this league, at least from league members that aren't in their first year in the conference. and even then he still might be. i'm sorry that your feelings have been shattered by the totally unreasonable criticism of RT hiring people whose career experience entails working him at programs that were going nowhere, but nobody here is yelling at clouds. don't blame anybody but yourself because you got really really upset at the most innocuous and reasonable comment. RT is allowed to be criticized, just like every single other coach ever. you're going to have to accept this at some point.

IMG_5857.thumb.jpeg.838073510fe3da988f13ad0516bdc533.jpeg

catdaddy two years ago: "yeah RT has been stinking it up at UTEP, he might want to bail before they fire him." just two years ago you didn't even think he was good enough to coach at UTEP.

catdaddy (and half of our board regulars) today: "RT IS INFALLIBLE! RT HAS FORGOTTEN MORE ABOUT BASKETBALL THAN JOHN WOODEN EVER KNEW! TO CRITICIZE HIM IS HERESY! BAN ALL OF THE HERETICS!!!!"

you guys are so fucking weird with this deifying of the HC shit. this is shaping up to be shaka all over again as far as this website goes. actually it'll probably be even worse this time considering how much we all already like RT and want him to succeed. the RT zealots will make the shaka stans look like amateurs. we're already at the point where every single post that says anything critical of RT is met with five other posters completely dismissing the criticism and accusing the poster of having ulterior motives. because why else would anyone ever say anything critical of RT? it MUST be ulterior motives. RT is perfect, and so is everything he does. it's gonna be a reeeeal fun season around here. can't wait. 🙄 

Edited by shadow_operative

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

catdaddy two years ago: "yeah RT has been stinking it up at UTEP, he might want to bail before they fire him." just two years ago you didn't even think he was good enough to coach at UTEP.

catdaddy (and half of our board regulars) today: "RT IS INFALLIBLE! RT HAS FORGOTTEN MORE ABOUT BASKETBALL THAN JOHN WOODEN EVER KNEW! TO CRITICIZE HIM IS HERESY! BAN ALL OF THE HERETICS!!!!"

you guys are so fucking weird with this deifying of the HC shit. this is shaping up to be shaka all over again as far as this website goes. actually it'll probably be even worse this time considering how much we all already like RT and want him to succeed. the RT zealots will make the shaka stans look like amateurs. we're already at the point where every single post that says anything critical of RT is met with five other posters completely dismissing the criticism and accusing the poster of having ulterior motives. because why else would anyone ever say anything critical of RT? it MUST be ulterior motives. RT is perfect, and so is everything he does. it's gonna be a reeeeal fun season around here. can't wait. 🙄 

John wooden?  I’m not sure anyone has said he was better than the wife beater. Some have said give the guy time And he may do well.  

you got people questioning his speaking skills ( yea no racism) early on.   His organizational skills (yea no racism) early on.  

the decision has been made.  Give him some time.  Don’t go off rail because we lose a kid to academics or a guy that has switched jobs 27 times decides to leave.  

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Things can change in two years.  What do you mean by zealots?

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

John wooden?  I’m not sure anyone has said he was better than the wife beater. Some have said give the guy time And he may do well.  

you got people questioning his speaking skills ( yea no racism) early on.   His organizational skills (yea no racism) early on.  

the decision has been made.  Give him some time.  Don’t go off rail because we lose a kid to academics or a guy that has switched jobs 27 times decides to leave.  

Things can change in two years.  What do you mean by zealots?

1)two years ago rodney terry was in his 25th year of D-1 coaching and was in danger of losing his job at crappy ass UTEP. explain to me what's changed since then which has seen him rise the ranks and become deserving of arguably the best HC gig in all of college basketball. 

2)what do i mean by zealots? uh, well, the very first thing that comes to mind would be you, this past march, running around the board like a six year old on a sugar high, starting shit with everyone who had been critical of RT during the season. the team got hot and we were winning games in both postseason tournaments, and your reaction to that was to seek out and talk shit to other Longhorn fans, because you were/are that obsessed over people criticizing RT. we saw the same thing for years with shaka- a cadre of posters who were absolutely incredulous towards any and all criticisms of him, denouncing said criticisms as people just wanting to be negative for no real reason. you have helped lead the charge for this same cadre of posters when it comes to saying anything critical about RT or anything he does. that is what i mean when i call you a zealot. 

What a weird rant.  

Serious question Derka… do you honestly think that all 13 other Big 12 coaches would have taken Texas to a 3 seed and made the Elite 8 last year if they had taken over for the disgraced Chris Beard in the middle of the season?  I mean you would have to if you think he is the worst coach in the whole league.

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

What a weird rant.  

Serious question Derka… do you honestly think that all 13 other Big 12 coaches would have taken Texas to a 3 seed and made the Elite 8 last year if they had taken over for the disgraced Chris Beard in the middle of the season?  I mean you would have to if you think he is the worst coach in the whole league.

i put more weight into a 27 year coaching resume than i do into a 3.5 month run made with another coach's team, a team that was expected to be a final four contender all along. 

3 minutes ago, HookEm said:

What a weird rant.  

coaches from last year's league:

beard, drew, self, otzleberger, moser, tang, huggins, dixon: unarguably better coaches than RT.

mike boynton and mark adams: not sure where i'd rank them alongside RT, but these are absolutely his coaching peers when it comes to last year's coaches in this league. 

1 minute ago, HookEm said:

It still was an incredibly impressive coaching achievement IMO. You seem to disagree and completely discount it. I and many others don’t. 

how do i seem so completely discount it? should i copy/paste what i've already said so you can read it again? here:

"i put more weight into a 27 year coaching resume than i do into a 3.5 month run made with another coach's team, a team that was expected to be a final four contender all along. "

you guys clearly value last year's run to the elite 8 over the rest of his 27 year career; you value it so much that you think that this feat alone has earned him the Texas job. i (and many others!!!) don't. why is your take valid and my take "wild and weird"? especially when mine is based on decades of evidence of what RT is capable of on his own, while your take is based on what he did with another man's ready-made team over the course of a few months? 

Beard - disgraced

Huggins - disgraced

Adams - disgraced

I would take RT over all of them and so would the UT administration.  

Boynton has made one tourney in 6 years and is overrated AF.  Otzeberger has also never really done anything beyond one Sweet 16. His record at UNLV was worse than Terry at UTEP.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

how do i seem so completely discount it? should i copy/paste what i've already said so you can read it again? here:

"i put more weight into a 27 year coaching resume than i do into a 3.5 month run made with another coach's team, a team that was expected to be a final four contender all along. "

you guys clearly value last year's run to the elite 8 over the rest of his 27 year career; you value it so much that you think that this feat alone has earned him the Texas job. i (and many others!!!) don't. why is your take valid and my take "wild and weird"? especially when mine is based on decades of evidence of what RT is capable of on his own, while your take is based on what he did with another man's ready-made team over the course of a few months? 

This is rich coming from captain hyperbole who literally just claimed nonsense like this was stated: RT IS INFALLIBLE! RT HAS FORGOTTEN MORE ABOUT BASKETBALL THAN JOHN WOODEN EVER KNEW! TO CRITICIZE HIM IS HERESY! BAN ALL OF THE HERETICS!!!!"

2 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Beard - disgraced

Huggins - disgraced

Adams - disgraced

I would take RT over all of them and so would the UT administration.  

Boynton has made one tourney in 6 years and is overrated AF.  Otzeberger has also never really done anything beyond one Sweet 16. His record at UNLV was worse than Terry at UTEP.

Otzeberger is getting a little bit of that broad benefit of the doubt while he employs broader skepticism for others. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

FTR - I’m also not crazy about the Nick Matson hire. But I thought the Frank Haith and new S&C coaching hires were fantastic.  It is possible to criticize one move while liking another.  

Every time you don’t like something, it is just provoking argument to say hyperbolic shit like RT is the worst coach in the conference.  And then move the goalpost by listing coaches that aren’t even in the Big 12 anymore. Cmon this board should be better than that.

something that the RT zealots won't remember/will refuse to acknowledge: nobody in this board thought that RT was doing a good job at Texas before the postseason run happened. nobody. zero people wanted him as our next HC, while many vocally pleaded with CDC to not hire him. but then we went 6-1 to finish the season, and suddenly RT had earned himself a large, vocal, and staunchly defensive fan club. suddenly anyone who criticizes him for any reason is just a negative hater with ulterior motives. so call it hyperbole if you want, but RT being an infallible demigod sure seems to be the opinion of many around here ever since that one three week run of games.

never to fear. you don't have to go searching through old posts to remember what the consensus was around here before postseason play started. i went back to our last two regular season game threads for some reminders. here they are:

we finished the regular season 5-5 and we're a total jekyll and hyde team from one half/game to the next:

IMG_5858.thumb.jpeg.5917d3772004ac696cfb9b67353b1c8b.jpeg

people were not happy and were totally unenthused about our tourney prospects. a lot more "we'll probably lose to a 14 seed" talk than anything positive.

now this was the most shocking one: Texas went from a nationally elite defensive team from BTA, both on paper and with the eyeball test, to being the worst 3-point defense in the big xii under RT:

IMG_5869.thumb.jpeg.34d4f2d00e2da17b992fe7707ee6d843.jpeg

this was by far the most shocking change in the team after RT took over. teams went from being smothered BTA to routinely shooting like the warriors against us. that said, come postseason play our team defended the three ball very well, and it's probably the no.1 reason we won six in a row. still, at the end of the regular season, RT had wildly underachieved in this area. it was basically as shocking as the ACU performance that got shaka canned.

as for our fanbase, here's what people were saying *this march* about RT and his team:

IMG_5885.jpeg

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_5887.jpeg

IMG_5889.jpeg

IMG_5890.jpeg

IMG_5891.jpeg

IMG_5892.jpeg

IMG_5894.jpeg

• Fuck You 1

so if i am hyperbolic in my postings, that is why. in march if this year/last season nobody had anything nice to say about rodney terry, and everybody here was cool with that. then the tourney happened, and since then, anyone who says anything remotely critical of RT strikes a huge nerve with the aforementioned RT zealots, and suddenly you're an overly negative POS who is simply looking for reasons to bitch about a coach. that's frustrating; that's fucking stupid. this should be the last place on the internet where this dynamic takes place, and yet it is what this board has become. 

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Man, if this teams ceiling is the sweet 16 with the worst coach in the Big 12 we must be fucking loaded on talent. Whoever brought all those guys in deserves a raise.

see how quickly "arguably the worst coach from last year's big xii" gets turned into "the worst coach in this year's league" by people like you? you don't have any intentions of discussing anything earnestly, you just want to drive by and poke the bear (and then whine about it if the bear responds in a way you don't like).

btw, shaka signed a whole bunch of top 5-10 nationally ranked recruiting classes. how did extending him/giving him a raise work out?

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

“to this point RT is arguably the worst coach in this league” = remotely critical 

Sure guy.

this entire pages-long thread derail started when i said, "that guy we just hired doesn't seem like he's qualified to coach at Texas" and has devolved to this point, the point where i have to remind people of who RT's record says he is, given his unassailable stature on this forum.

i love the guy and i hope he thrives here for the next 20 years. but if people are going to continue to take umbrage with every single criticism levied his way, and dog pile every post that isn't just sunshine and rainbows, then i've got no problems reminding them that he is not some demigod who should be above any and all criticism.

hiring your friends to be your assistants when they wouldn't be looked at by any of your rival schools based on their CV/qualifications is a bad look, and it shouldn't be remotely controversial to say as much. but here we are, pages later, all because of that comment, and the fact that, according to this board, only an overly negative RT hater who is searching for reasons to be negative would make it. 

On 6/29/2023 at 6:40 PM, shadow_operative said:

whatevs, it's not the biggest issue in the world, i just don't like hiring guys who have zero experience of winning at this level. 

this is why we're here. this innocuous criticism. but my real issue is this: it has repeatedly been made clear on this board, either explicitly or insinuated, that the only reason i've made this criticism is because i'm anti-RT, or overly negative, or i just enjoy "yelling at clouds". THAT is my big issue here. the idea that criticism towards RT can't just be someone's genuine opinion on the matter- that to criticize him is to be someone who hates RT, or is overly negative, or is just searching for reasons to be upset. that last accusation is particularly ironic to me. 

13 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Proving people right with an overly negative,idiotic,take is certainly a strategy then I guess. Unless it was subtle satire, which based on the doubling down seems unlikely. 

when are you going to respond with literally anything substantive? i've made my case and i stand by it: you could make the argument that RT was the worst coach in last year's big xii. there's nothing hyperbolic or idiotic about it. most of the coaches in the league are clearly superior coaches, and then you have RT, Adams, and Boynton. are you certain that osu or ttu would have preferred RT to the guys they had? no? then there is absolutely an argument to be made that RT was the worst coach leading any big xii team last year, and if he wasn't, then he's absolutely in the conversation. hell, at least osu and ttu *wanted* to hire those guys. RT wouldn't have ever been a big xii HC (or anywhere even close to one) had chris beard not strangled his wife. but it's idiotic hyperbole to say he's at the bottom of the league? how?

now then, you insist on posting in this thread and quoting me over and over and over- when are you going to add something to this thread? to make an argument of your own? when are you going to make your very first contribution to any discussion on this board, ever? or is arguing with me with nothing of substance to say all you've got?

You could argue that Apple was a shitty company in 1994.  Then it wasn’t.

What RT was 3 years ago is irrelevant. He is our coach now. The decision has been made.  And his tenure will be 100% determined by what he has done since Dec 12 last year.  

Can we not use this thread to talk about THIS year?  I’ve made a bunch of posts with detailed analysis of the team that get no discussion.  Instead we keep revisiting the decision to hire RT. Holy fuck it is tiresome.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

TOS: “FWIW, this will be a special assistant role” in regards to Matson. 

Terry did a good job after Beard stepped away and resigned. Haith, McClain and Chappell are the three assistants. Seems like a capable staff. 

The roster has some issues but is intriguing. Overall I’ll be excited to see how it goes in the fall. And especially in the expanded B12. 

40 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

TOS: “FWIW, this will be a special assistant role” in regards to Matson. 

Terry did a good job after Beard stepped away and resigned. Haith, McClain and Chappell are the three assistants. Seems like a capable staff. 

Is Ogden out? A brief googling didn’t produce evidence otherwise and I’m not wading through the slap fights in this thread to find out.

Just now, Degenerate Gardner said:

Is Ogden out? A brief googling didn’t produce evidence otherwise and I’m not wading through the slap fights in this thread to find out.

I thought he moved back into the GM role

• Hook 'Em 1

You could argue that Apple was a shitty company in 1994.  Then it wasn’t.

What RT was 3 years ago is irrelevant. He is our coach now. The decision has been made.  And his tenure will be 100% determined by what he has done since Dec 12 last year.  

Can we not use this thread to talk about THIS year?  I’ve made a bunch of posts with detailed analysis of the team that get no discussion.  Instead we keep revisiting the decision to hire RT. Holy fuck it is tiresome.

+1. No shit. Jesus you are an absolute beating Derka. Stfu. Think you have health problems or something? Focus on getting better and give the rest of us a break.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I so wish I had a Texas basketball thread to read that wasn’t constantly being derailed. The best thing everyone could do is just ignore posts completely that derail the thread. Maybe even put a poster on ignore if necessary. 

40 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

We need a basketball thread

Title it “Texas Basketball 2023-2024” or something like that so it’s clear we’re talking about this year

Otherwise we might very sanely and normally go to a 3 month old game thread to pull up 20something random quotes to win an internet argument that only exists in our own heads 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, HookEm said:

that's what was happening before the thread was derailed by the usual cast of characters who only lost to argue and never to say anything substantive- and catdaddy. we hired a guy- for this year's team. i commented on that hire, only for a cadre of posters, led by catdaddy, to explicitly state that the only reason that i was critical of the hire is because i'm anti-RT, which is bullshit, because i love RT. the thread then turned into a huge detail about bob donewald jr, with continued insistence that the only reason i said anything critical in the first place is because it was RT who made the hire, and because i just like to be negative. that is when/why all of the reasons for doubting RT and his moves were brought back to this thread. i'm simply responding to what's being posted. stop acting like i am responsible for every single post in this thread, as if i alone dictate the direction this thread moves in.

also, you are not the czar of this board. none of you are, no matter how badly you want to be. "ugh, no more mentions of chris beard, he's gone!" "ugh, can we stop talking about last season?!?!" "ugh, why are people being negative, can't be just all be positive all of the time no matter what?!?"

no, no, and no. you do not get to create a hornfans-like atmosphere here where all posts have to be about exactly what you want them to be, and anybody who doesn't post about exactly what you want them to gets banned. former coaches are sometimes relevant to the discussion; last season is sometimes relevant to the discussion; you don't get to ban all talk about these things just because you want this to be a NO NEGATIVITY AT ALL echo chamber.

and finally, you want more basketball talk? let's start with scores of people who regularly post without even attempting to add anything to any discussion. the scores of people who only post to talk shit and/or bitch. still looking at you @Hank_Hill. WTF was that shit about suicide last night? was that supposed to be funny? check your entire posting history here dude- you literally only post to talk shit and contribute to arguments. your next post that adds a single original thought or anything of substance will be the first. you don't get to exclusively post to fam the flames of contention and then blame somebody else for making the board contentious. come on.