Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I pray that one day we all might experience love like the love Derka has for RT.

you're proving my point. in your childish brain anyone who says anything critical of RT must hate him. again, that's just a straight up childish and combative lens to view things through, and it's what starts so much shit around here.

i'm allowed to be critical of RT, and anyone else in our program for that matter. it's the very foundation of this board. you and so many others equating criticism with hatred and reacting in kind is what leads to these derails. own your shit.

Edited by shadow_operative

feel free to go back and look at how all of this started. my first three posts on the RT assistant hiring all got pos rep, because they were totally germane, benign, normal posts on the subject. yet for some reason they touched a nerve with catdaddy, who then repeatedly came after me with barbs about how i supposedly hate RT, and how i'm only critical of the move because i hate RT, replete personal shit talk about how all of you are forced to put up with me and my "screeds". that's what happened. that's what took us down this rabbit hole. catdaddy didn't like what i said so he repeatedly made it personal and he derailed the thread with inane, bad faith argumentas and personal insults towards me. that's a fact. own it.

you're upset about where the last three pages of this thread have gone? blame the guy who made incessant and unnecessary barbs and jabs at me, who then led the charge down the bob donewald jr tangent, and everything else that has followed.

again, you do not get to be a prick towards me, make things personal, and post inflammatory shit towards me, completely unprovoked, and then turn around and go "derka'd". well, you can, but why would you? what do you get out of it? own. your. shit.

1 hour ago, MotownHorn said:

Title it “Texas Basketball 2023-2024” or something like that so it’s clear we’re talking about this year

Otherwise we might very sanely and normally go to a 3 month old game thread to pull up 20something random quotes to win an internet argument that only exists in our own heads 

Could split it.  Have a basketball thread and then a “we made the wrong hire” thread.  

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

feel free to go back and look at how all of this started. my first three posts on the RT assistant hiring all got pos rep, because they were totally germane, benign, normal posts on the subject. yet for some reason they touched a nerve with catdaddy, who then repeatedly came after me with barbs about how i supposedly hate RT, and how i'm only critical of the move because i hate RT, replete personal shit talk about how all of you are forced to put up with me and my "screeds". that's what happened. that's what took us down this rabbit hole. catdaddy didn't like what i said so he repeatedly made it personal and he derailed the thread with inane, bad faith argumentas and personal insults towards me. that's a fact. own it.

you're upset about where the last three pages of this thread have gone? blame the guy who made incessant and unnecessary barbs and jabs at me, who then led the charge down the bob donewald jr tangent, and everything else that has followed.

again, you do not get to be a prick towards me, make things personal, and post inflammatory shit towards me, completely unprovoked, and then turn around and go "derka'd". well, you can, but why would you? what do you get out of it? own. your. shit.

Look at your fucking word count.  My God, you are the least self-aware poster I can think of.  You think I'm a prick towards you?  Look at how you treat other people.

At this point I think you should be banned,   You are a big net negative  on this board.  It's 90% "woe is me" and 10% content.  I'm sorry you're ill, I hope you get better, but this place is toxic to you and it just creates a massive logjam that everyone has to fight through to get the actual information which is available.

Cue the rant.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:
42 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Look at your fucking word count.  My God, you are the least self-aware poster I can think of.  You think I'm a prick towards you?  Look at how you treat other people.

how did you take my post about catdaddy and somehow think it was about you? holy shit that is wild. 😮

now then, you were saying something about self awareness? please, continue.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

how did you take my post about catdaddy and somehow think it was about you? oh, you were saying something about self awareness? please continue.

Because it immediately followed my post about the general fan perception of RT?

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Because it immediately followed my post about the general fan perception of RT?

and? did i quote you? did i mention you? did you have anything to do with my post? the entire thing is about catdaddy being the one who started this thread derail with his ad hominem shit talk and insults, and yet you think it was all about you? what?!? yeah. self awareness indeed. great stuff. 

Let me expound on that:  you referred to @Catdaddyhorn in the third person at least twice in that post, and then used the pronoun "you" in reference to someone (?) being a prick towards you, which is something you've said to me on occastion.  (It's one of your go-to weapons.)  How in the blue hell was I supposed to know you had switched from @Catdaddyhorn to "you" in referring to the same person?

Write more clearly, and use the quote function.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HookEm said:

You could argue that Apple was a shitty company in 1994.  Then it wasn’t.

What RT was 3 years ago is irrelevant. He is our coach now. The decision has been made.  And his tenure will be 100% determined by what he has done since Dec 12 last year.  

Can we not use this thread to talk about THIS year?  I’ve made a bunch of posts with detailed analysis of the team that get no discussion.  Instead we keep revisiting the decision to hire RT. Holy fuck it is tiresome.

I'm really looking forward to some extraordinary shooting performances this year. I'm hoping we maintain the movement and flow in our offense with a higher level, or at the very least, more consistent level of outside shooting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I'm really looking forward to some extraordinary shooting performances this year. I'm hoping we maintain the movement and flow in our offense with a higher level, or at the very least, more consistent level of outside shooting. 

on paper this looks like the best shooting team we've had in years. shooting could actually be a real strength for once. and not just with abmas and hunter bta. disu was absolute money in the sort of 6-15 foot area that he thrives in. we're going to be a very difficult team to defend when we're on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

on paper this looks like the best shooting team we've had in years. shooting could actually be a real strength for once. and not just with abmas and hunter bta. disu was absolute money in the sort of 6-15 foot area that he thrives in. we're going to be a very difficult team to defend when we're on. 

Didn’t Disu shoot 37% from 3 at Vanderbilt?

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

At this point I think you should be banned,   You are a big net negative  on this board.  It's 90% "woe is me" and 10% content.  I'm sorry you're ill, I hope you get better, but this place is toxic to you and it just creates a massive logjam that everyone has to fight through to get the actual information which is available.

Cue the rant.

The place isn't toxic to derka, derka is toxic to the place. Easily the most toxic personality on this board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, HookEm said:

I pray that one day we all might experience love like the love Derka has for RT.

It’s called tough love

24 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If I am not mistaken his shit got so bad on Shaggy he asked the admins to change his password so he just couldn't login. 

Dang.  Wasn’t around back then.  Was it pretty much like this?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Can't wait for Mitchell season 2. He's going to shock a bunch of people that didn't pay enough attention to his game last season. 

i might not be quite as bullish on mitchell as ztejas (either way i am bullish on him), but i have to agree that a lot of people here have seriously missed the mark with their assessments of him. a lot of people here have downright trashed him and said that he's essentially hot garbage. he's not.

i have no idea how well he'll be able to shoot the ball this year, not do i know what his offensive role will be outside of the paint/rim area. that said, defensively and in transition he should be a menace, and he easily has the skill set to have a major impact on the glass.

also, our back court should be much improved shooting wise, and this could also open up things for mitchell as a slasher/back door lob guy. look, he probably still won't be a very good shooter, but i expect his impact on the game to be obvious to anyone who watches this year. if he finds himself a defined role in this team, he could really break out and as ztejas said, shock a lot of people here. 

6 hours ago, MotownHorn said:

Donewald joining huge piece of shit and alleged woman abuser Chris Beard at Ole Miss 

One of the last remaining branches of the Bobby Knight coaching tree just got a new branch (if you count Donewald via his old man).  In reference to Donewald staying one year, Beard is pretty much a ramblin' man himself - save Tceh.

8 hours ago, txhorns said:

If Donewald is willing to join Beard at Ole Miss after last year then we dodged a bullet by having him leave.

how so? beard is college basketball coach, not a murderous dictator. joining his staff is in no way a red flag or a sign that we're fortunate that he left. many of the best coaches in college athletics are humongous pieces of shit with highly questionable track records. working for them tends to get you career success and promotions. if donewald wants to go join the staff if one of the best coaches in CBB that's a pretty standard move. 

Yea if I was a 1-2 year rental my entire career I’d join my previously fired piece of shit alleged woman abuser ex boss as well if he paid enough/other people wouldn’t give me the actual job I wanted. If he allegedly abuses someone else like a piece of shit alleged woman abuser, oops off to my 22nd job I go 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

If he allegedly abuses someone else like a piece of shit alleged woman abuser,

he tried to get away from her and she attacked him. it's in the police report. she said this herself and has never said anything else. stop basing all of your arguments around a lie that you all have made up and continued to say like it's the truth. 

and again, newsflash: college basketball is scummy, and so are a bunch of the coaches, especially the really successful ones. this is not unique to chris beard. you didn't have a problem when beard got the job and immediately hired bag men from bill self and larry brown, but when his fuck-up actually affected how good the team/program was suddenly everyone is the moral authority. stop it. your self serving faux outrage is tired and pointless. acting like "we don't want anything to do with coaches who would coach for a scumbag" is stupid, because it's not true. never has been. you know what kind of assistants sit next to a successful scumbag? the best ones. 

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he tried to get away from her and she attacked him. it's in the police report. she said this herself and has never said anything else. stop basing all of your arguments around a lie that you all have made up and continued to say like it's the truth. 

and again, newsflash: college basketball is scummy, and so are a bunch of the coaches, especially the really successful ones. this is not unique to chris beard. you didn't have a problem when beard got the job and immediately hired bag men from bill self and larry brown, but when his fuck-up actually affected how good the team/program was suddenly everyone is the moral authority. stop it. your self serving faux outrage is tired and pointless. acting like "we don't want anything to do with coaches who would coach for a scumbag" is stupid, because it's not true. never has been. you know what kind of assistants sit next to a successful scumbag? the best ones. 

There is a very big difference in being a bag man and in being a man who decides to lay hands on a woman.  He physically hurt a woman.  He could have left the house but chose to stick around and put him into a situation in which things were able to get physically violent with a woman.  That’s pretty fucked up.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

And then what happened after she attacked him, Derka? What did your Angel Boy Beard do then, Derka? He choked a bitch, right? Since we're going by the police report and all?

Personally I wouldn't spend my last years on Earth bending over backwards to stand up for the honor of a piece of shit domestic abuser on the Internet just because I think he's a good coach. But we all make different choices in life

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, txhorns said:

There is a very big difference in being a bag man and in being a man who decides to lay hands on a woman.  He physically hurt a woman.  He could have left the house but chose to stick around and put him into a situation in which things were able to get physically violent with a woman.  That’s pretty fucked up.

she's a known abusive alcoholic who followed him around the house as he tried to get away from her, and despite this she she still violently attacked him. he was sober and trying to get away, she was drunk and wouldn't let it go. if you switch their genders he's the abuse victim and she's a monster. that's facts. and you know that wasn't her first time to put hands on him; it was the time where he'd finally had enough so he retaliated. again, this is holier than thou bullshit. was he wrong to put his hands on her? absolutely. is he an abusive partner/woman beater? only when it benefits your argument. otherwise, no. factually, objectively, no. stop pushing that narrative.

• Fuck You 1

I already know the answer, but is it too much to ask that we keep the Texas Basketball 2023-24 thread about the current team?  (It was too much to ask.)

If some of you assholes want to keep talking about a former coach and his staff, there is another thread for that.  (Why post in an appropriate thread when this one is right here?)  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Is Horton good or not? I’ve seen conflicting information. 

just from looking at his cbb reference page he seems to a be a highly limited role player. he shoots threes and he gets steals. that's it. he doesn't get to the line, he doesn't rebound, he doesn't get assists; what he does do is shoot .376 from deep on 5.9/3PA for his career. again, just based on looking at the stats, he looks like a pretty brilliant add as a role player. he seems to basically be a one-trick pony, it's a trick that could be highly valuable to this team. adding another knock down shooter to this team gets me irrationally excited for our prospects, and i'm (apparently) the board pessimist. this seems like it will be a great addition to round out the roster. 

• Hook 'Em 5

9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

just based on looking at the stats, he looks like a pretty brilliant add as a role player.

Agree 100%.  The key will be whether he accepts that role.  If so, that could be a very good add. 

Honestly though, I don't see the need to add anyone else.  Every minute this guy gets will be time that Hunter or Abmas likely spends on the bench.  I want those guys getting 32+ mpg. And I want Brock getting 20+ mpg.  And I want Johnson and Weaver getting plenty of minutes so that they can take over next year.

My guess with Donewald is that he applied for several of the roles he wanted, he didn’t get any of them, so he had to take the only job that would take him and (unfortunately) it was a lateral move for him instead of a step up. It happens to people in everyday jobs as well. it’s not as problematic or a big of a deal as some people here are forcing themselves to make it to be. Move on, Jesus.