Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

18 hours ago, cafe society said:

Stop with your motherfucking virtue signaling that you are 100% aware is going to trigger Derka and derail the thread.  You're every bit as messed up as he is.  You're co-dependent. 

I literally just copied the language from the Chris beard thread title. After we’d just been talking about Donewald.

2005-06 Texas: .506 2P%, .373 3P%, 19.5 3PA

2007-08 Texas: .386 3P%, 21.1 3PA

2010-11 Texas: .376 3P%, 14.9 3PA 

this will be the best shooting Texas team since one of these teams. so, the best shooting team in ~15 years, maybe longer. and our perimeter shooting should only open up the lane for guys like Disu and Mitchell. with the addition of so many offensive weapons and Frank Haith i am once again irrationally excited about this team's prospects. chemistry pending, this should be one of the better scoring teams in all of college basketball. it's rare to have a collection of scorers like the roster that RT has assembled. really unbelievable job filling out this roster after such a rocky start to the offseason. very impressed with RT's portal signings. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

2005-06 Texas: .506 2P%, .373 3P%, 19.5 3PA

2007-08 Texas: .386 3P%, 21.1 3PA

2010-11 Texas: .376 3P%, 14.9 3PA 

this will be the best shooting Texas team since one of these teams. so, the best shooting team in ~15 years, maybe more. and our perimeter shooting should only open up the lake for guys like Disu and Mitchell. with the addition of so many offensive weapons and Frank Haith i am once again irrationally excited about this team's prospects. chemistry pending, this should be one of the better scoring teams in all of college basketball. it's rare to have a collection of scorers like the roster that RT has assembled. really unbelievable job filling out this roster after such a rocky start to the offseason. very impressed with RT's portal signings. 

I think this is an elite eight team I worry about their ceiling. I'm trying to find the guy that takes them to the FF or title game. 

This team has a lot of guys with the potential to be great. 

Abmas basically took Oral Roberts to the Sweet 16 single handedly.  He could be the guy who gets us to the Final Four.

Obviously Disu could be the man.  He was playing like a Naismith winner his last 8 games of the season, averaging 16.5 PTS, 7.4 TRB, 1.3 STL on 70.3% FG shooting and 86.4% FT.  Oh and throw in 50% from 3 for good measure. 

Dillon Mitchell could turn out to be the best guy on the team on both ends of the court if he has a great offseason.

Hunter has a ton of talent as well.  He could be a 1st Team All-Big 12 type player. I really think he was playing hurt for most of last year (in addition to the Chris Beard situation really affecting him).  For a couple of month stretch he didn't look nearly as explosive and his shot was way off.  Here were his splits if you separate those games...  When he has it going, he can be as good as any guard we have had in the last 15 years.  When he is off, it is pretty bad (but at least he still puts in a lot of effort on defense)

• First & Last of Season - 13.1 PTS, 3.2 TRB, 2.3 AST, 1.7 TO, 53.6% 2P, 38.8% 3P, 86.5% FT - 18 games
  • Middle Part of Season - 7.9 PTS, 2.8 TRB, 2.8 AST, 1.9 TO, 34.5% 2P, 28.4% 3P, 73.7% FT - 20 games
  • Best 10 Games - 18.0 PTS, 55% 2P, 48% 3P, 92% FT
  • Worst 10 Games - 3.8 PTS, 32% 2P, 7% 3P, 63% FT

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/7/2023 at 10:52 AM, Js1 said:

As long as Brock figures out how to box out in crunch time without fouling 

Cartoons Comics Rage GIF

Love Brock but he walks the line between playing hard and playing dirty

I still don't consider that box out a legit foul to call there, though

PG Tyrese Hunter, 6-0.5, junior (10.3 points, 3.0 rebounds, 2.5 assists)
CG Max Abmas, 6-0, super senior (21.9 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.0 assists at ORU)
SG Ithiel Horton, 6-4.5, super senior (12.1 points, 3.7 rebounds, 1.6 assists at UCF)
SG Chendall Weaver, 6-3, sophomore (9.5 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.0 assists at UTA)
CG Chris Johnson, 6-4, freshman
SF Alex Anamekwe, 6-5.5, sophomore (1.5 points, 0.7 rebounds)
F Brock Cunningham, 6-5.5, super duper senior (4.6 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.4 assists)
F Dillon Mitchell, 6-8, sophomore (4.3 points, 3.9 rebounds)
PF Dylan Disu, 6-9, super senior (8.8 points, 4.4 rebounds, 1.4 blocks)
PF Ze’Rik Onyema, 6-8, senior (7.1 points, 4.4 rebounds, 0.5 blocks at UTEP)
C Kadin Shedrick, 6-11, senior (6.2 points, 3.8 rebounds, 1.4 blocks at Virginia)

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Doubt he will get to play much, but it seems like he has some good building blocks to develop for a few years.  And better to round out the practice squad this way than with walk-ons.  

Apparently he’s redshirting?

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I wonder what this means for Liam McNeeley. He was thought to be a Texas lean before this.  

Is he also reclassifying? McNeeley is 2024 and Pyror is now 2023. Either way, Texas has a ton of open roster spots for 2024. I doubt they wouldn't take both. Just depends on McNeeley's perspective.

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

Is he also reclassifying? McNeeley is 2024 and Pyror is now 2023. Either way, Texas has a ton of open roster spots for 2024. I doubt they wouldn't take both. Just depends on McNeeley's perspective.

I know but they play the same small forward position. You rarely, if ever see 2 true small forwards on the court at the same time.  It's not like they're both combo guards.  And McNeely is a much more highly rated player.  

2 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I know but they play the same small forward position. You rarely, if ever see 2 true small forwards on the court at the same time.  It's not like they're both combo guards.  And McNeely is a much more highly rated player.  

McNeely is the better player, regardless. He's likely not a four-year guy. Given his offensive ability, he's likely to play two years in college. I doubt Pryor takes any minutes from him, as he probably won't be ready for serious minutes for a couple of years.

17 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

At Tech, Beard would have played 5 small forwards on the court at the same time if he had the personnel. I kid. Mostly.

So he’s reclassifying to redshirt a year…

Sounds like the QE program at a smaller scale without the NIL cash to drive it.

I am curious if we see this happen more often. If you don’t think you are going to blow up to epic hype level status, why not get out of hs early and into a college SC and nutrition program and see what happens in 2 years. Worst case for him is he gets 2 years of college at UT paid for and transfers down a level with all sorts of potential upside.

• Like 1