2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

One run short of an epic comeback. 2023 Astros in a nutshell.

We are 17-20 in games decided by a single run. 1-7 in extras. 

I was at MMP Friday night. Place was electric when Diaz came up with 2 on and 1 out in the 9th. Within 5 seconds the game was over. GIDP so quick and easy the crowd seemed confused for a good 10 seconds, not realizing it had ended. Perfect encapsulation of the season. For lack of a better word, the "magic" we seemed to possess from 2017-22 just isn't there.

• Like 1

Remember when the Rangers won July?

Now the Mariners won August.  Statement win in August.

https://www.mlb.com/news/dominic-canzone-has-4-hits-as-mariners-sweep-astros

It's time to fucking go, not sit around hand-wringing over the gotdam Redsox.

Hope a bunch of folks turn their ankles jumpin off the bandwagon.  Fuckers.  Don't back, now.  Ya hear?

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Surely Dusty Baker will start producing lineups that give us the best chance to score runs, right?

Right????

No Way GIF by GIPHY News

Come on, DD. We’re talking about a guy who likes to give guys a day off once they’re fully ready to go. Who has said that Maldy and Diaz have performed about the same at the plate. Who has started Bligh Madris at DH multiple times. Who spent half the season allocating equivalent playing time between Julks and Chas. Who believes that Dubon is a good guy to hit at the top of the order.

Your answer is no.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

The Rangers play 7 of their last 10 games against the Mariners, so that should be interesting.

Astros lost the season tiebreaker over the Mariners, so they will have to beat them by at least 1 win. 

Up until this series 3 of the 4 best teams since the trade deadline were the Astros, Rangers and Mariners. It's gonna be quite a 3 way race down the stretch. 

We needed to bring our A game. We didn't. So...not a shocking series outcome. But as many have noted, there's plenty of time to still make a run. 

This is the kind of stretch in which we really miss Brantley or a similarly dependable bat. Steady hitters like him aren't going to carry an offense, but they sure help bridge gaps and keep innings going long enough for the next hot bat to do damage with men on base. This year we've had very few back-to-back hot bats in the lineup at any one time. That puts extra pressure on the secondary guys to string together enough singles and walks to score. Big innings don't tend to be the result.

I can think of much worse ideas than trying Diaz at 2 between Altuve and Tucker. As long as he's somewhere in the lineup every day, that matters most of all. 

Edited by Gut Wagon

Dana said on the pregame Brantley will sit today and sugarland has off day tomorrow and he will play tues, wed and depending how he feels after that, be available by end of week.

he went on to say they’d love to get it where Brantley can play up to 4 days in a row and eventually 5.

my question is, why wait to start? What is he going to accomplish tues and wed in sugarland that he can’t in Houston?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Dana said on the pregame Brantley will sit today and sugarland has off day tomorrow and he will play tues, wed and depending how he feels after that, be available by end of week.

he went on to say they’d love to get it where Brantley can play up to 4 days in a row and eventually 5.

my question is, why wait to start? What is he going to accomplish tues and wed in sugarland that he can’t in Houston?

He did remind everyone that this is like his spring training, so he has to get ramped up.

that’s fine and all, but this isn’t spring training. 
I wonder what Brantley’s dad has to say about all of this 

31 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

We needed to bring our A game. We didn't. So...not a shocking series outcome. But as many have noted, there's plenty of time to still make a run. 

This is the kind of stretch in which we really miss Brantley or a similarly dependable bat. Steady hitters like him aren't going to carry an offense, but they sure help bridge gaps and keep innings going long enough for the next hot bat to do damage with men on base. This year we've had very few back-to-back hot bats in the lineup at any one time. That puts extra pressure on the secondary guys to string together enough singles and walks to score. Big innings don't tend to be the result.

I can think of much worse ideas than trying Diaz at 2 between Altuve and Tucker. As long as he's somewhere in the lineup every day, that matters most of all. 

Hell missing Ted for 2 games completely sucked in this series.

That added weight/ pressure on an opposing pitcher is absolutely part of the whole recipe for winning.

3 minutes ago, slorch said:

Hell missing Ted for 2 games completely sucked in this series.

That added weight/ pressure on an opposing pitcher is absolutely part of the whole recipe for winning.

Yeah but Dusty gives guys a day off once they’re ready to go, regardless of circumstance or context, apparently. So this was better.

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah but Dusty gives guys a day off once they’re ready to go, regardless of circumstance or context, apparently. So this was better.

I knew that was coming and you're not wrong.

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

Who swept us this late in the season last year? I'm not seeing it.

Seems like the Tigers and shitty Orioles( then) did it with regularity.

This team is different.  They lose to everyone.

I kid, I kid... sort of.

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

The pitching staff kept the record afloat through the first four months of the season. It was performing at an unsustainable level. Regression has arrived, as it almost always does. 

Unfortunately, the offense hasn't recovered as too many injuries and a really shitty off-season has taken its toll.