2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

6 minutes ago, patrickdrinksbeer said:

is it wrong to hope dusty dies before the post season (asking for a friend)?

I got shrieked at like a banshee on another board saying I hoped maldy pulled a quad and was down for 6 weeks. I assume your Dusty dies wouldn’t go over well. 
I don’t want him dead but any sort of thing that could stop him from fucking shit up would be fine. 

I got shrieked at like a banshee on another board saying I hoped maldy pulled a quad and was down for 6 weeks. I assume your Dusty dies wouldn’t go over well. 
I don’t want him dead but any sort of thing that could stop him from fucking shit up would be fine. 

ahem, asking for a friend. did you gloss over that forcefield?
  • Haha 2

I feel like Renee Russo when Tim cup is losing his mind and she tears up whatever she has in her hand and starts yelling encouragement because her dude is such a stubborn jackass. 
that’s about to be me with Dusty. 
you win Dusty. You’ve crushed my desire to see rationality done and I’m going to go down in a flaming ball of suck with you and three putt you stubborn old fucking retard. 
you do you man. maldy start every game from here on out- hit him cleanup. Play dubon somewhere every day. Make sure he bats leadoff or second. Meyers over Chas. Go back to splitting the lefties. Throw Nerris every day. You do you man. You fucking asshole. Whatever your dream or gut tells you too is the right thing. Keep splitting 10’s and hitting on 18. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, runthebone said:

Dusty needs to become a figurehead now or be fucking fired.  I don't want to waste a year of this window.

I mean he's already been a drag for 4 years now.  But yeah, anytime we decide to get smarter would be great.

• Like 1

if you just have to PH for chas for some assinine reason, it has to be altuve. who the fuck believes jon singleton is a better bet than busted shin altuve in that spot?
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m happy that Dusty got his championship. 

Last year’s team was so strong that we didn’t have much need for a sound game manager. 

This team is in need of good, intelligent, strategic management. 

And Dusty no longer provides what this team needs. 

It’s time for Dusty to take the train out of town.

I’d say Dusty’s WAR is on par with Singleton, which explains everything. 

Analytics !

Dusty Baker said the Astros “projections” showed Jon Singleton was projected to hit .275 off Clay Holmes. Chas McCormick was .220, Baker said. Baker was worried about Holmes running the sinker in on McCormick, and said “that’s why we have Singleton up here” to take those ABs

Can you fire a manager for following the numbers and not his gut ?

Edited by tx 3 putt

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Altuve has passed both with this current playoff run. We’re the modern big red machine.

bregman has passed both for me too, on the same playoff run 

choo, choo mother fuckers 

Correct Altuve has 23 post-season HRs. Biggio and Bagwell have 4 combined. Altuve is the greatest Astro of all time and it's not even close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Analytics !

Dusty Baker said the Astros “projections” showed Jon Singleton was projected to hit .275 off Clay Holmes. Chas McCormick was .220, Baker said. Baker was worried about Holmes running the sinker in on McCormick, and said “that’s why we have Singleton up here” to take those ABs

He definitely took, that's for sure.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Analytics !

Link? If this includes triple A games I could see why the numbers are in his favor. If not, how could he have enough at bats for it to be relevant?

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Analytics !

This is the stupidest shit ever. He was playing the odds that Singleton would draw a walk (that .275 has to be on base pct, nfw it is batting avg)?!? So Peña could fuck it up after him? Seriously?!?!  Gtfo dusty. 

The league is batting .238 against Holmes this year.  It was .196 last year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/holmecl01.shtm

If the Astros’ analytics department really had Jon fucking Singleton hitting .275 against him, the whole organization is more fucked than we thought.

Seems much more likely to me that the toothpick-chewing moron just didn’t understand the analytics, or just made shit up for the sycophants to parrot all night   Seems like that part worked, too.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Chas has had 1 at-bat against Holmes this year, and got a hit. Any analytics about how he would perform in that spot must be based how he performed against similar pitchers. 

While "leaving the thinking" to Dusty isn't the whole reason we're in this bind, it's a huge part of the reason. Crane or Brown might not care that we're running this race while dragging an anchor, but I sure do. Might be too late to salvage this season regardless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I woke up from my drunken football stupor and thought maybe I was just drunk and imagined Singelton pinch hitting for Chas. Still hard to fathom. Harder to swallow is that idiot Dusty spouting off about projections and averages while playing Maldonado over Diaz everyday. That moron cannot gtfo of here fast enough. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

This is the same guy who tried to say Diaz and Maldonado were basically the same hitter.  You think he cares about numbers now?  It's the only thing he can latch on to in order to explain what he did.  There is not a person in this thread who would have made that move, you included.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

I’ve always been kind of ambivalent about baseball managers. In baseball, there is no playbook like football to call plays or defense, you don’t diagram a last minute shot like basketball to get the ball in your best players hands. I know there are some subtle things managers can do but for the most part, in my mind, managers lose way more games than they win. Their one main job is just putting the best players out there on the Diamond. After that, it’s all individual performance. Dusty fails miserably at his one main duty as manager almost daily. There’s not one game in my mind where anyone can say we would have lost without Dusty. But several where we can sure blame him. I think that’s the nature of baseball honestly. You don’t notice the good ones as much because they usually have good players and don’t do dumb shit like pinch hit for the guy with the third highest OPS with a guy who should be working in a warehouse.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

The radio pre game has much more substance than the broadcast, they’ve talked about match ups vs specific pitchers, through out the season. 

that L sucked, maybe we find some clutch hits today 

Hopefully our manager uses the players most likely to produce clutch hits.

• Hook 'Em 2