2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

50 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I think the Astros should fire Dusty and give sabermetrics a real run for its money by replacing him with a trained AI. Partner with OpenAI to make a baseball AI called BatGPT that's sole function is to be the best team manager in history. Baseball is an easy sport to learn and can be managed mostly from stats, so it's a perfect opportunity to give it a shot. 

Supercomputer and Skipper "AI Hunch" will set lineups and manage the team going forward. It will be an iPad attached to a robot Segway that has speakers and a virtual human form that can talk to players and give speeches. It will also wear an Astros hat and uniform to humanize it.

It's sort of been done. They called it "Tom Landry."

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

13 runs in 36 innings against the worst team ERA (an even 6.00 coming in to this series ) is not ideal…. But you’ll take 3 out of 4 just about every time.

We swept them at MMP scoring 10 in 3 games earlier. It’s our thing against them I guess. 

he has to be on the no trade list .....

Clifford is establishing himself as one of the best prospects in the system, maybe even #1, and should be in contention for the top 100 lists by season’s end. A teenager with excellent plate discipline and plus power is hard to come by. Just to give perspective on his age, of his 343 plate appearances to this point in the season, only 7 have been against a pitcher younger than him.

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rvm96 said:

I remember somebody talking about how Gilbert wasn't doing great at Double A. He seems to have recovered from his ailment when he was only able to DH.

That was me. He has struggled since getting promoted to Double A (and yeah I know he was dealing with an elbow injury) but at least his July numbers are encouraging. In 15 games he's slashing .290/.323./.516 with five doubles and three homers but he's still striking out way too much and not generating a lot of walks. He has 62 ABs in July and only 3 BB to 13 K. He has a lot to work on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

That was me. He has struggled since getting promoted to Double A (and yeah I know he was dealing with an elbow injury) but at least his July numbers are encouraging. In 15 games he's slashing .290/.323./.516 with five doubles and three homers but he's still striking out way too much and not generating a lot of walks. He has 62 ABs in July and only 3 BB to 13 K. He has a lot to work on. 

If you want real bad walk to strike out issues Zach Daniels is your guy. That was a known issue of his though.

11 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

If you want real bad walk to strike out issues Zach Daniels is your guy. That was a known issue of his though.

I don't mean it as a huge knock against Gilbert because I think he has a promising career ahead of him, but I'm ok with moving him in a trade for a starting pitcher if that is what it will cost. Win now. Gilbert isn't a generational talent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Gilbert’s bay to ball skills and hit tool are fine. I don’t believe (famous last words) he’s going to have any kind of serious strikeout problems in his big league career. The athleticism, arm and defense are fine with a good hit tool and hits the ball hard. That’s as high a floor as possible. I’m not saying he’s untradeable, but it would have to be as a headliner for a guy like Cease, for me. He’s the highest floor guy in the system and that we’ve had since tucker in my opinion. 
clifford is the highest floor 19 year old in high A I can ever remember the Astros having imo. I decor maybe Yordan if we had him as a 19 year old. 19 and high A has a lot of time to go wrong though. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

He’s not even a top 100 prospect. Lot of teams in this race have much higher rated prospects 

Yeah, but none of those teams has a Whitley.

I'm crazy, though—I would do Meyers, Whitley, Julks, Maldonado, Kessinger, Hensley, and Madris for Ohtani. 

• Haha 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

33 minutes ago, Scraps said:

No one in our minors should be "untouchable" for the right return

Absolutely correct. There are like 3 untouchables in the organization. Yordan and Framber for performance reasons and Altuve bc he’s Jose fucking Altuve. I’d make Diaz damn near untouchable but for the right price (it’s be really steep) he’d be gone too. Nobody in the minors is untouchable. A couple would need to headline a pretty major return though. Gilbert would be untouchable for me for a rental, and Clifford would be pretty close. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

he has to be on the no trade list .....

Clifford, Baez, Loperfido, and Dezenzo should have extremely high prices on them this week.  Houston should not trade any of those guys unless it’s for a non-rental star player.  Hopefully teams shopping rentals are interested in guys like Lee, Arrighetti, Leon, and Melton.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

What would the Angels take for Mike Trout? Rest him until you need him. Convince the Angels that they can have their castella and eat it too. Trade him to the Yankees in the offseason for more than you gave up for him.

I've said for 3 or 4 years that that the Angels should trade Trout for very little (really I'd do it to get out of Rendon's salary were it I, and that was 2 years ago) and just re-set. I'm not sure that Trout has a positive trade value right now.  

He's owed 7 years and 250M for his age 32-38 seasons.  The last 3 years he's been worth 11.3 WAR- so that's $113M in value and he's been paid 105M in actual salary.  He's just had Hammate surgery which saps power for a year so figure 2024 isn't going to be as good as his previous years, and dating back to 2020 he's played 53, 36, 119 and 81 games. Maybe he gets to 100 this year.  That's a blinking flashing red light that this guy shouldn't be trusted into his mid to late 30's.  I'd take him if I was the Astros, but I'd be really nervous about it.  Really nervous.  I think my offer to them would be something like Chas and Abreu and Montero.  Or just Chas if they wanted to eat something like 50M of that contract. And I'd be really worried I was making a huge mistake if I was the Astros.  The days of trading him for big propsects or massive salary relief I would think would be over.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Braves just traded with the Rockies for Pierce Johnson.  2 prospects, neither in the braves top 30.  Johnson has good K numbers, but is 1-5 with a 6.00 ERA on the year.

Both prospects are in the Braves top 30 according to MLB.com 

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, SI says neither are, so I'm not sure who is right.  2 top 30 guys for a rental reliever who looks a lot like a JAG seems rather steep.

The lower ranked one is a 25 year old starter that has struggled a lot at AA and AAA this year. The other is a 23 year old reliever that's doing decent at AA. I don't think the Braves will regret it too much if it doesn't work out.

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Absolutely correct. There are like 3 untouchables in the organization. Yordan and Framber for performance reasons and Altuve bc he’s Jose fucking Altuve. I’d make Diaz damn near untouchable but for the right price (it’s be really steep) he’d be gone too. Nobody in the minors is untouchable. A couple would need to headline a pretty major return though. Gilbert would be untouchable for me for a rental, and Clifford would be pretty close. 

Correct. They aren't untouchable unless it's a rental, but I think the Astros are going to play around the edges with a guy like Lorenzen, which should take a Top 25 guy. I'd also look at Happ instead of Bellinger. He's had a rough stretch, but his .380 OBP would look nice batting between Altuve and Alvarez.

40 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Braves just traded with the Rockies for Pierce Johnson.  2 prospects, neither in the braves top 30.  Johnson has good K numbers, but is 1-5 with a 6.00 ERA on the year.

damn, blanco has better stats 

16 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Dude sucks, but they are grasping....they also got Hearn from Texas

we should  move stanek 

Edited by tx 3 putt

The fan in me wants them to deal for an ace and another legit bat.  I really liked the Cease and Robert idea.  Montgomery from the Cards would be a nice get at pitcher.  I don't know his contract situation and too lazy to look it up.  However, the Astros may be looking at this trade deadline as "adding from the IL."  If they get Yordan, Altuve and Urquidy back full time, that would pretty much be the equivalent of getting a good pitcher and good bat via trade without having to give up anything.  I hesitate to mention Brantley too.  Is he ever coming back?

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I've said for 3 or 4 years that that the Angels should trade Trout for very little (really I'd do it to get out of Rendon's salary were it I, and that was 2 years ago) and just re-set. I'm not sure that Trout has a positive trade value right now.  

He's owed 7 years and 250M for his age 32-38 seasons.  The last 3 years he's been worth 11.3 WAR- so that's $113M in value and he's been paid 105M in actual salary.  He's just had Hammate surgery which saps power for a year so figure 2024 isn't going to be as good as his previous years, and dating back to 2020 he's played 53, 36, 119 and 81 games. Maybe he gets to 100 this year.  That's a blinking flashing red light that this guy shouldn't be trusted into his mid to late 30's.  I'd take him if I was the Astros, but I'd be really nervous about it.  Really nervous.  I think my offer to them would be something like Chas and Abreu and Montero.  Or just Chas if they wanted to eat something like 50M of that contract. And I'd be really worried I was making a huge mistake if I was the Astros.  The days of trading him for big propsects or massive salary relief I would think would be over.  

I appreciate the thought and effort in your reply. Whatever we sent to Angels, do you believe we could we recoup from the Yankees?

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Also …

Jeremy Peña since June 1, entering today: 
.213/.262/.279, 2 HR, 49 wRC+

I was thinking about this yesterday and Pena's performance is really being overlooked in light of the other struggles on the roster. 

Keith Law updated his top 60 prospect list the other day and Baltimore has a SS that's blocked in AAA behind Gunnar Henderson with Jackson Holliday coming in behind him (Joey Ortiz).  Very different game from Pena (far better contact ability/strike zone judgement with less power).  I wonder if there's any chance of a match there, maybe on a three-way trade.

33 minutes ago, Saint Tacky said:

I appreciate the thought and effort in your reply. Whatever we sent to Angels, do you believe we could we recoup from the Yankees?

Absolutely no idea. 
Probably not. Trout has a no trade. Trout isn’t likely to be moved for a reasonable and so passionate assessment of his value in the marketplace. He’s the face of the franchise in Anaheim and bullshit Mickey Mouse organizations like that out a lot of stock in such things- because they are fucking losers so they need the face for the billboard so their fans can be comfortable in their middling futility. 
If I was the Astros and angels and really trying to get together on a deal maybe something like Meyers, Gilbert, Montero, Garcia, Melton and  McCullers for trout. 
75M in current dead money out the door in Montero and McCullers that might turn out to be something for Anaheim, a high floor CF that has 4 years left, your CF of the future in the minors with a high floor but probably not superstar talent, a low floor high ceiling good prospect, plus some cheap and controllable pitching coming off of TJ surgery. 
I’m not near as good at this as @Snake Diggitymaybe he’d have an opinion.  
I think it’s telling that Trout isn’t on any top 50 trade lists of value I don’t think. Who knows how that kind of deal would go for either team. Super high beta for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 1