2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Counter- the Astros are extremely fucking stupid about Maldy and Salazar was always meant to be cannon fodder, so that doesn't mean Lee isn't the second best catcher in the organization right now- I believe he probably is.  A good defensive catcher that can hit an occasional HR (I know he only had 5 HR in AAA but I think he was dinged up some) might get to 1/2 a WAR or 1 WAR if deployed correctly.  

My last podcast had Lee as something like the 37th most value in the organization which isn't nothing- but I included him in a segment called "He's blocked, he's not special, he might be fine- he's worth more to you than he is me." which is about what this trade looks like.  

Baseball prospect dorks have overvalued catcher prospects from the beginning of time. Lee’s immensely overrated by you and every service out there. Can’t hit. Nice defense. Awesome. Put 50 of those guys in a fucking hat, shake them up and pull one out, and you have a 4A solution that people can jack off to for a few years before the “prospect” fades into oblivion. 

He was a bad draft choice and good riddance. All we have lost is y’all’s dorky prospect yearning. He will do precisely dick at the MLB level. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Baseball prospect dorks have overvalued catcher prospects from the beginning of time. Lee’s immensely overrated by you and every service out there. Can’t hit. Nice defense. Awesome. Put 50 of those guys in a fucking hat, shake them up and pull one out, and you have a 4A solution that people can jack off to for a few years before the “prospect” fades into oblivion. 

He was a bad draft choice and good riddance. All we have lost is y’all’s dorky prospect yearning. He will do precisely dick at the MLB level. 

It's a sad day when this thread causes me to have to agree with you

Who the hell is the Astros’ strength and conditioning coach?  They’ve speculated that Javier might be out of shape on the Sean Salisbury show.   I haven’t paid much attention, but looking at him tonight, his face is swollen as shit.  He is an out of shape fatass….kind of like Framber.  Amazing that these guys can get their shit together regarding their conditioning. 

2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Javier, Hunter Brown, and even Valdez are drifting into mediocrity.  2022 was the magic year where the guys pitched above their talent level, maybe it's the pitch clock this time, but these 3 won't be the high level again. 

Hunter Brown was not a big part of the 2022 team 

Javier, Hunter Brown, and even Valdez are drifting into mediocrity.  2022 was the magic year where the guys pitched above their talent level, maybe it's the pitch clock this time, but these 3 won't be the high level again. 
Yeah hunter brown should just retire now
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

“Can’t hit”, somehow clubbed 25 HR last season. 

I bet you didn’t think shit of Jake Rogers.  He’s been the 9th most valuable catcher in the league this season.  He was not as highly thought-of when he was traded as Lee is now.

I am a huge prospect dork but I don’t mind at all cashing them in for good big leaguers.  But giving up good prospects for mediocre players is stupid, and that’s what this trade looks like to me.

Just now, Scraps said:
2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Yeah hunter brown should just retire now

exactly, even donate the balance of his contract to Surly server costs. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Who the hell is the Astros’ strength and conditioning coach?  They’ve speculated that Javier might be out of shape on the Sean Salisbury show.   I haven’t paid much attention, but looking at him tonight, his face is swollen as shit.  He is an out of shape fatass….kind of like Framber.  Amazing that these guys can get their shit together regarding their conditioning. 

His fat ass can't even cover 1st in time.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I bet you didn’t think shit of Jake Rogers.  He’s been the 9th most valuable catcher in the league this season.  He was not as highly thought-of when he was traded as Lee is now.

I am a huge prospect dork but I don’t mind at all cashing them in for good big leaguers.  But giving up good prospects for mediocre players is stupid, and that’s what this trade looks like to me.

Graveman isn't mediocre. Seth Martinez is mediocre. Jake Meyers is mediocre, etc. Yes, he clubbed 25 HRs last year. You know who currently leads the MiLB in HRs, Astros farmhand Shay Whitcomb. Let's go crazy for him.

17 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Who the hell is the Astros’ strength and conditioning coach?  They’ve speculated that Javier might be out of shape on the Sean Salisbury show.

Are you sure he wasn’t talking about Larry Tunsil?  Salisbury knows less about baseball than you do. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Jake fucking Rogers is the 9th best catcher in the league, then I feel even better about this trade.
  • Like 1

Corey Julks has a higher WAR this season than Jake Rogers, who is apparently a top ten catcher in this league and proof positive that we may miss Korey Lee one day.
So just move Julks to backup catcher next season and we solved this whole issue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Corey Julks has a higher WAR this season than Jake Rogers, who is apparently a top ten catcher in this league and proof positive that we may miss Korey Lee one day.

So, then send Julks to WB to learn how to catch. Problem solved.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1