Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think she will be way better in her second year. She's been playing a lot of high level basketball with not really any breaks since the start of her college season. Wouldn't be surprised at all at some burn out.

She looks physically outmatched. She seems so much smaller than most everyone on the court. 

• Hook 'Em 1

She was also playing in the shitty ass B10 where it’s nothing but White girls shooting jump shots and who aren’t good at defense (no offense, just demographically true similar to Marsha Sharp’s tech teams).

The W is like taking the best players from Souf Carolina, LSU, Texas, and UCONN and putting them on every team in the league—and making them older, more athletic, and more grown. She has no idea what that’s like day in and day out. As someone said, she’s young and will grow into it but it amazes me people thought she would just walk in and dominate. 

And yes, I think there was a target on her back to welcome her to the league, which isn’t surprising and shouldn’t anger anyone. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

I think she will be way better in her second year. She's been playing a lot of high level basketball with not really any breaks since the start of her college season. Wouldn't be surprised at all at some burn out.

I think it's crazy that the NCAA national title game is early April, the draft is like a week or two later, and the WNBA season starts a few weeks after that, it's such a bizarrely compressed timeline. She (and I assume most rookies) should be better their second year after a true offseason.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I agree.  This is the biggest increase in competition she's ever seen.  She'll adjust in time, and be fine.  But people were expecting her to be as unstoppable as she was in college and that wasn't realistic.

By the same token, her haters are clearly jumping the gun.

I don't think people who liked her expected her to dominate immediately (at least the ones who know and understand sports in general), I think it starts with the haters (including misogynists) who like to mock "lol, y'all thought she was the next jordan and she sucks, lol, nobody cares, lol..." Basically them projecting a concept of immediate domination that most real fans of hers didn't really have, or they at least now understand that rookies rarely dominate.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

She’s obviously a very good player. It’s the hype that I don’t understand. How is she better than when Parker, bird, or ionescu came into the league.  Is it a Midwest thing?  Didn’t some similar hype happen for Jackie stiles at Missouri whatever university?

Women's sports in general is having its moment in a way that just hasn't existed until now. Haters will call it social justice, dei, or some other derogative, but whatever it is, it's not just her. College softball has seen a huge increase in TV ratings in recent years and new stadiums are being built. Kansas City built a soccer stadium specifically for a women's professional soccer team. And the women's national championship basketball game literally had higher ratings than the men, something I would have never guessed would have happened in a million years, which of course was Clark driven, but Reese has her fanbase as well. I was at a local brewery during one of the women's tourney games, I think the final four, and a bunch of people asked for it on the tv, and people were enjoying it pretty intensely. Clark just happened to play and to dominate at a time that womens sports started to become more popular in general. I think it's great, whatever is driving the increase in viewership. I'm watching way more college softball these days and soccer somewhat, still haven't come around really to women's basketball, but will likely at some point, especially if the OSU women's team improves. I did watch some of their games this year which is not something I've really done in the past, and yes I did hop on the Clark train and watched some of the tournament games. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I think it's crazy that the NCAA national title game is early April, the draft is like a week or two later, and the WNBA season starts a few weeks after that, it's such a bizarrely compressed timeline. She (and I assume most rookies) should be better their second year after a true offseason.

I don't think people who liked her expected her to dominate immediately (at least the ones who know and understand sports in general), I think it starts with the haters (including misogynists) who like to mock "lol, y'all thought she was the next jordan and she sucks, lol, nobody cares, lol..." Basically them projecting a concept of immediate domination that most real fans of hers didn't really have, or they at least now understand that rookies rarely dominate.

Women's sports in general is having its moment in a way that just hasn't existed until now. Haters will call it social justice, dei, or some other derogative, but whatever it is, it's not just her. College softball has seen a huge increase in TV ratings in recent years and new stadiums are being built. Kansas City built a soccer stadium specifically for a women's professional soccer team. And the women's national championship basketball game literally had higher ratings than the men, something I would have never guessed would have happened in a million years, which of course was Clark driven, but Reese has her fanbase as well. I was at a local brewery during one of the women's tourney games, I think the final four, and a bunch of people asked for it on the tv, and people were enjoying it pretty intensely. Clark just happened to play and to dominate at a time that womens sports started to become more popular in general. I think it's great, whatever is driving the increase in viewership. I'm watching way more college softball these days and soccer somewhat, still haven't come around really to women's basketball, but will likely at some point, especially if the OSU women's team improves. I did watch some of their games this year which is not something I've really done in the past, and yes I did hop on the Clark train and watched some of the tournament games. 

Her biggest haters are women

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

This is so stupid. When men criticize and talk shit to each other I don't hear anyone saying "men don't support each other". I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Edited by Pam Cummings

30 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Women in general or other WNBA players? I can see some resentment from other players that she got all the hype while they didn't. I don't really like that attitude, but I get it. There are also women buying pink Harrison Butker jerseys and are allowed to have shitty opinions about other women, as annoying as it is (no cr).

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It was all the circus 3s she hit in college.  Topped with crazy passes.  She's not any better or more dominant than the players you named, but she was constantly making these highlight reel plays on a nightly basis.

Combine that with how 1 and dones and the transfer portal destroyed star power in the men's game, and you had this whole rise of increased popularity in women's basketball because these players would face off against each other over multiple seasons, and the whole thing just kinda went wild.

100%. Reminds me of the Zion/Duke treatment and level of stardom. 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

She’s obviously a very good player. It’s the hype that I don’t understand. How is she better than when Parker, bird, or ionescu came into the league.  Is it a Midwest thing?  Didn’t some similar hype happen for Jackie stiles at Missouri whatever university?

Same reason as when Curry became the 3 pt machine.  The circus shots are fun to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

The entire sports media complex in this state basically figured she'd take the WNBA by storm.  I understand that's not a media circle you'd pay any attention to, but these people definitely understand sports but had become so infatuated with CC that they just can't bring any modicum of objectivity or reality to the discussion around her game.

29 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

This is so stupid. When men criticize and talk shit to each other I don't hear anyone saying "men don't support each other". I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Her most vocal critics are women.  That’s what it means?  Lots of anger for whatever reason

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The entire sports media complex in this state basically figured she'd take the WNBA by storm.  I understand that's not a media circle you'd pay any attention to, but these people definitely understand sports but had become so infatuated with CC that they just can't bring any modicum of objectivity or reality to the discussion around her game.

Shes the only reason I’m watching.  And that will fade soon if she’s not what we thought she would be

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Her most vocal critics are women.  That’s what it means?  Lots of anger for whatever reason

Who is angry? Most of the analysts and talking heads for this sport are former WNBA players....why would it not make sense for her "biggest critics" to be women? I see teenagers wearing CC jerseys now. Or does their support not count?

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Who is angry? Most of the analysts and talking heads for this sport are former WNBA players....why would it not make sense for her "biggest critics" to be women? I see teenagers wearing CC jerseys now. Or does their support not count?

I see man wearing cc shirts.  Does that not count?

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

This isn’t true. You just made this up. 

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

I think it's crazy that the NCAA national title game is early April, the draft is like a week or two later, and the WNBA season starts a few weeks after that,

It’s always been like this though. There’s just been nothing to get your attention on it until now. 

The W has to have the timeline they have because eyeballs. 

I'm guessing if some guy came out of college holding the below records, we probably wouldn't say shit like "i just don't understand where the hype comes from!"

Achieved most 30-point games by any man or woman in Division I in the past 25 seasons

Became Big Ten's all-time leader in assists

Broke Big Ten all-time scoring record

Became Division I women's career scoring leader

Became all-time leader in points among major women's college basketball players

Set Big Ten career record for 3-pointers

Set NCAA single-season record for 3-pointers

Became all-time NCAA Division I men's and women's scoring leader

Achieved most three-pointers in a single season by any male or female Division I player

Became the first Division I women's player to score at least 1,000 points in two different seasons

Achieved most points in single season in Division I women's history

Passed Temeka Johnson for the most career assists in NCAA tournament history

Passed Diana Taurasi for the most career 3-pt FG in NCAA tournament history

Became first player in NCAA tournament history with 3 career 40-point games

Passed Taylor Robertson for most career 3-pt FG in Division I history

Won Naismith Player of the Year for the second year in a row

Won AP Player of the Year for the second year in a row

Won United States Basketball Writers Association National Player of the Year for the second year in a row

Passed Chamique Holdsclaw for the most career NCAA tournament points

Won second consecutive Wooden Award

Won third Nancy Lieberman Award

Tied Elena Delle Donne as the fastest Division I women's player to reach 2,000 career points

Became first Division I player to record at least 900 points and 300 assists in a single season

Broke single-game scoring record for NCAA women's tournament semifinals

Became first player in NCAA tournament history with consecutive 40-point games

Achieved Big Ten single-season scoring record

Made most 3-pointers by a men's or women's player in NCAA title game history

Broke men's and women's scoring records for single NCAA tournament

Achieved most assists by single women's player in NCAA tournament history

Set Big Ten single-season records in points, assists, 3-pointers and free throws

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

4 games in playing on the worst team and still flirting with a Triple Double   

She’s been fine 

• Hook 'Em 1

All of those women mentioned that she passed- holdsclaw, taurasi, Della Donne, they came into the league as high draft picks and much was expected of them. None of them had the hype Clark has gotten. 

did anyone care that Taylor Robertson moved on?  Apparently not as the wnba did not draft her. 

5 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I'm guessing if some guy came out of college holding the below records, we probably wouldn't say shit like "i just don't understand where the hype comes from!"

Achieved most 30-point games by any man or woman in Division I in the past 25 seasons

Achieved most three-pointers in a single season by any male or female Division I player

Became the first Division I women's player to score at least 1,000 points in two different seasons

Won United States Basketball Writers Association National Player of the Year for the second year in a row

Tied Elena Delle Donne as the fastest Division I women's player to reach 2,000 career points

Became first Division I player to record at least 900 points and 300 assists in a single season

Set Big Ten single-season records in points, assists, 3-pointers and free throws

Exactly. If she doesn’t qualify for the current hype, no one does. Maybe the angst is for another reason?

I don't know what y'all are talking about - she has looked pretty incredible to me. she is averaging 17+ points and almost a triple double in her first few games in the WNBA. It's clear she belongs and is one of the best players in the league from day one. Y'all are crazy.

• Hook 'Em 1

From cnn:

Caitlin Clark just did something no athlete has done since Michael Jordan

And it turns out that what she did was sign a deal with an apparel maker for a signature line, similar to Jordan with Nike.  She signed with Wilson, for who knows what amount.   Does this not seem like overhype?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

From cnn:

Caitlin Clark just did something no athlete has done since Michael Jordan

And it turns out that what she did was sign a deal with an apparel maker for a signature line, similar to Jordan with Nike.  She signed with Wilson, for who knows what amount.   Does this not seem like overhype?

It’s a mystery why they have no fans and females choose to watch Real Housewives over women’s sports. Gotta tear her down from her high horse. 

“Your ass is as flat as your titties bitch!” - Bill Burr. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

52 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

I don't know what y'all are talking about - she has looked pretty incredible to me. she is averaging 17+ points and almost a triple double in her first few games in the WNBA. It's clear she belongs and is one of the best players in the league from day one. Y'all are crazy.

Quadruple double if you count turnovers

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

The problem is that would never happen on the men's side because said person would have been drafted 3 years prior to being able to accomplish all those things.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

4 games in playing on the worst team and still flirting with a Triple Double   

She’s been fine 

2 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

She's averaging 17 points, 4 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 6.5 turnovers and 4.5 fouls per game. Not sure where "triple double" is coming from.

Her shooting #s have been pretty good so far. 

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

She's averaging 17 points, 4 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 6.5 turnovers and 4.5 fouls per game. Not sure where "triple double" is coming from.

Her shooting #s have been pretty good so far. 

And that’s with missing most of the last game. I expect her to be in that 21/6/6 range.   Gotta fix the turnovers.  I think it’s somewhat surprising that she’s no longer the best player on the court.  At least not now

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

And that’s with missing most of the last game. I expect her to be in that 21/6/6 range.   Gotta fix the turnovers.  I think it’s somewhat surprising that she’s no longer the best player on the court.  At least not now

She's so bad defensively....that is what she needs to work on most followed up by getting stronger and developing her body to not be so frail looking vs her peers.

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

6 hours ago, Foosters said:

To that list of accomplishments I would add "Actually influenced me to choose to watch a women's college basketball game. Actually more than one game." That's something that no other woman (white, black, good-looking, ugly, etc...) has come close to doing. I find the sport to be an absolute beating to watch, full of slow athletes fighting to rebound missed layups standing flat-footed.  But she has that must watch quality, the mythical "It factor." I would wager a fair amount of money that next years women's final game ratings will be closer to 2022 than they will be to 2024. 

image.thumb.png.67013c6123e8404a69557e0523e586a4.png

What was different about the last two championship games......hmmmm? That's why she is the story. That's why she is getting paid. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Blotto said:

To that list of accomplishments I would add "Actually influenced me to choose to watch a women's college basketball game. Actually more than one game." That's something that no other woman (white, black, good-looking, ugly, etc...) has come close to doing. I find the sport to be an absolute beating to watch, full of slow athletes fighting to rebound missed layups standing flat-footed.  But she has that must watch quality, the mythical "It factor." I would wager a fair amount of money that next years women's final game ratings will be closer to 2022 than they will be to 2024. 

image.thumb.png.67013c6123e8404a69557e0523e586a4.png

What was different about the last two championship games......hmmmm? That's why she is the story. That's why she is getting paid. 

Curious to see what next years number will be.  She got me to watch but now she’s got to keep me watching 

Posted (edited)

I've paid more attention to WNBA this season than the prior 30 seasons combined. ESPN needs to continue to pump up the college girls and pushing them to the W so it's popularity can grow more and more.

HVL(She might not be as good as others about to be mentioned but she's very popular on the socials), Paige Buckner, JuJu, Madison, etc. Have to keep the hype going and eye balls on the game.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

IMO, some of her turnovers aren’t particularly her fault, pinpoint passes her teammates are Jackie Smithing.  Had a turnover to start the game the other night that was clearly a kicked ball but wasn’t called. She’ll be fine. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, definitely not derka said:

lol.  Predictable 

also this:

"LeBron, you're 100% right on these girls hating on Caitlin Clark. Y'all petty, girls. I expect men to be petty because we're the most insecure group in the world. Y'all should be thanking that girl for getting y'all a-- private charters, all the money and visibility she's bringing to the WNBA," Charles Barkley said. 

Edited by closetohumping
  • Hook 'Em 2

The whining about CC being singled out is some real bitchassness.   She isn't being treated differently than any other player on the court.

There was always going to be an adjustment period.  There is nothing wrong with that.  In fact, its a good thing as she will have to actually overcome in a competitive league.  Its a physical league filled with grown women who are competitive as fuck.   CC is good currently and will be great but thinking current players should just lay down and let her score/win is crazy.   No one has ever asked a rookie to do that and it goes against everything sports is supposed to be about.   Magic/Bird/MJ/LBJ all had to take the league over.   It wasn't given to them until they proved they were the best.

The problem is IMO is that most of the people who are new to watching the league has dismissed it as not good for years without watching.   They assumed CC was the best player they've ever seen.   Now they have to admit that there players who are better currently and the league has way more talent than they ever knew.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, definitely not derka said:

She's right.  It's not just one team . . . it's just one player.  The market has the same level of interest in the WNBA outside of Caitlin Clark as it always has . . . almost none. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

For the most part, Clark's criticism has remained in WNBA spaces. That changed recently when Sunny Hostin of "The View" spoke on Clark's "privilege."

Hostin's comments came on Wednesday, May 22 prior to Barkley's TNT rant. She claimed Clark has "pretty privilege" and "white privilege" which has benefitted her.

"Now, Caitlin Clark is bringing this money, these sponsorships, we hope, into the league and other players will benefit from it," Hostin said. "But I do think that she is more relatable to more people because she’s white, because she’s attractive, and unfortunately, there still is that stigma against the LGBTQ+ community

It’s the way Clark played in college.  She looked like a cross between pistol Pete and Steph. 

I don’t think any league needs the face to be a particular color.  

keep in mind there have been a lot of great white players.  Some have been hot some not:

Della Donne, brink, lobo, ionnescu, Stewart, bird, taurasi  None are as popular as Clark  maybe it’s not a racial thing at all

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Faces of future should reflect the past?  Somewhat racist. Faces of all sports used to be white. 

reminds me of when nascar fans booed the first Toyota to hit the track.  

Edited by closetohumping