2023 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Time to Start Thinking About Winning Again

BigOrange1

I like all of this frankly.  We get two years to figure things out then have a $40m contract to trade with maybe one or two of these other guys that aren’t key (they aren’t all going to hit) for a bad ass FA in a sign and trade the summer of 2025.  

Need to get rid of KPJ. 

• Hook 'Em 1

With all due respect, there’s no way to look at that third year as a win. It’s probably not going to make a difference in the end, but there’s a better than zero chance it comes back to bite them  in the ass when trying to make moves. The whole thing is massive overpay for a second tier point guard but I get it.  And that deal likely wasn’t getting done without year 3. They had to burn the cap somehow and lord knows that team needs some veteran leadership. I will say, though, that FVV can be a bit of a chucker. He was criticized in Toronto last year for numbers chasing to increase his value, which clearly worked. He’s not necessarily a pass first / set up guy. Thompson is actually more wired like that but obviously raw. He needs to be starting by that third year if not sooner. That could end up being a lot of cabbage for what ultimately ends up a backup point guard. But the Rockets are for sure better this morning than they were yesterday. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

With all due respect, there’s no way to look at that third year as a win. It’s probably not going to make a difference in the end, but there’s a better than zero chance it comes back to bite them  in the ass when trying to make moves. The whole thing is massive overpay for a second tier point guard but I get it.  And that deal likely wasn’t getting done without year 3. They had to burn the cap somehow and lord knows that team needs some veteran leadership. I will say, though, that FVV can be a bit of a chucker. He was criticized in Toronto last year for numbers chasing to increase his value, which clearly worked. He’s not necessarily a pass first / set up guy. Thompson is actually more wired like that but obviously raw. He needs to be starting by that third year if not sooner. That could end up being a lot of cabbage for what ultimately ends up a backup point guard. But the Rockets are for sure better this morning than they were yesterday. 

Of course there’s a better than non-zero chance.   I get it would be ideal not to have done the third year, and agree it was the price of doing business. But it still isn’t long term (that Bane contract terrifies me).  

If we get Lopez and jettison KPJ so his minutes aren’t eating into others’ pt I am gruntled.  

From my perspective, next year is the Green litmus test.  He ought to improve efficiency and production together.  If he doesn’t start on that Fox/Booker/Murray trajectory (read: trajectory)  next year I don’t think he is ideal long term.   I am still not convinced he is a winning player.  

But hey, Booker got better when they jettisoned Bledsoe, Fox when Halliburton left.  Maybe KPJ gone helps Green.  

I do worry about FVV continuing to be a chucker though.  

Edited by A-Tex Devil

Yeah all we got back was the rights to some dude who’s played in France since they drafted him 6 years ago and is probably never coming over here. We’re now at 11 rosters spots, so feels like a cap/roster clearing move as much as anything…

9 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Yeah all we got back was the rights to some dude who’s played in France since they drafted him 6 years ago and is probably never coming over here. We’re now at 11 rosters spots, so feels like a cap/roster clearing move as much as anything…

So, we got our French version of Sergio Llull.

Our cap space is now at $34M, if we renounce our cap holds.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

No idea what they’d have up their sleeve? What’s out there we could trade for or sign that needs that much cap space room?

Brooks for sure, after that no idea. Garuba was the backup C, so you have to think they are adding a center.

8 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

um, i'm gonna need to see how that brooks contract is structured.  on the surface, 4 years is atrocious. 

100% guaranteed.

8 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Jock landale? Is this a good backup option? No clue on this guy.

Yes. He replaced Ayton in the playoffs. He is a very good backup, and only 1st year is guaranteed.

When all these contracts are done the Rockets will still be one of the youngest teams in the NBA, and the Rockets had to spend the money. Don't understand the consternation around adding veterans on deals that don't hamstring the organization when they are being forced by the CBA to spend the money. Losing is not an option.

Edited by HtownHorn

everyone they drafted in the latter part of the first round in 2021 and 2022 is now gone.  don't really mind it, but they sure didn't really get anything that matters for any of them.  of the three, i think tyty washington has the most potential.

also figured they could do better for kj martin.

• Hook 'Em 1

Is Stone trying to get fired. What the fuck is he thinking with the KMJr. and the Josh Christopher trade to Memphis. Silas completely mishandled minutes and rotations and instead of seeing what we have with these guys we trade them for nothing. WTF! Fucking Caserio is the best GM in this town after this pathetic performance 

• Hook 'Em 1

He's thinking these two players have no future with the Rockets, so let's get something for them. Christopher fucking sucks. Martin is a good bench player. Neither play a lick of defense. 

There are 6 core players that need development. Martin and Christopher are not them. 

• Hook 'Em 2