2023 Houston Rockets Offseason Thread - Time to Start Thinking About Winning Again

BigOrange1

if atlanta is looking to shave some salary, would you do tate and #20 for de'andre hunter?  next year will be the first year of his 4 year, $90 million extension so he'd be on the books for the next four seasons, but an average annual salary of 22.5 mil is only about 16-17% of the salary cap.  hunter is a little bit older than the core guy on the rockets, but not so much older that he couldn't grow along with them.  he's a career 35% 3 point shooter, which isn't great, but isn't awful either.

just a thought the day before the draft and this sort of hypothesizing becomes irrelevant. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

And then Amen/Auser Thompson’s jump shot will make you want to buy a lot of $10 beers!

Maybe. But I can remember when LeBron and Jason Kidd were terrible shooters. 

6'7 PGs that can pass, defend, and score are a thing. Hell, if Ben Simmons would actually take open shots, he'd be legit again. I don't think thompson is going to walk away from layups.

His shot making will improve. Hell, the first thing I see that he can to do is practice with a board or bands on his left hand like a kid. If he gets his left hand out of his shot, it'll correct the inconsistent spin and probably take out his shoulder dip. 

I'm not extremely concerned about the wife stance. Rob Artest had similar stance. The crazy legs that aren't set as a base can be solved with reps, too... But I could let him make it if he can keep the left hand out of the shot. 

And none of this matters if he can just be am athlete that learns how to be consistent with his form and make the ball go in. 

He would make the Rockets tough to guard.

Sag and he gets a running start forcing a helper. That gets the ball moving. 

I mean, if you're going to build around Sengun in the post, Thompson's playmaking gets the real shooters open 3s.

The inside out game would be nasty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, LebongJames said:

I have no idea what makes a NBA star but a 6’7 extreme athlete that plays D and passes seems like a good lotto ticket.

Ben Simmons was a star once too, until teams figured him out. You have to be able to shoot to be a star in this league and Amen Thompson is abysmal anywhere on the court at doing that.

• Like 1

I’m dreaming in fan fiction that Portland caves to Dame’s veteran demand and there’s some 3 team swapadoo where Houston gives up #4 to another team for a veteran to Portland, we give Portland KPJ and/or KMJ and/or Tate and Houston receives #3 for either Scoot or Miller. 

On 6/21/2023 at 9:27 AM, HtownHorn said:

According to Mark Stein, the Clippers are reportedly shopping Paul George. Looking at Portland and Houston for their #3 or #4 picks respectively.

I'd be inclined to say yes, if they would take back Tate and Porter as part of the deal. Udoka is going to want some vets, and I guess that would be a good place to start. If we then move up to 10 and get Dick, that would be a great start. We'd need a veteran PG, but should be able to find one.

George is still a very good 2-way wing, the problem with him is health.

So, if everything goes well that would be:

Harden (45M), Green (10M), George (45M), Smith (9M), Sengun (4M), with a bench of Dick (4M), Eason (4M), Martin (2M), Ty TY (2M) and Christopher (3M)?  Cap filler of another 10M.   That's 140M.  Salary cap will be 136 and the tax would be 165. I don't know exactly how all the exceptions and shit work, but my suspicion would be yeah- if they took back those guys in Tate and Porter we would be able to get all that accomplished within the confines of the salary cap and probably have some manner of mid level to sign a 10M back up big, or something like that. Would be well under the tax.  

I like it I think.  That starting 5 is pretty good.  The bench sort of sucks I think but Dick is interesting and I liked what I saw from Eason.  Put me down in the camp that that team could win 50 games and make the top 6 in the playoffs if healthy? I don't know how healthy they would be.  I don't see that team going any further than conference Semi's, unless Greem and Smith get really good, But George would have 2 years which takes him pretty much into rookie extension with Green, Harden would have 4 years which takes him pretty much into rookie extension with Smith (1 year late), and maybe you can turn those contracts/space into something in 2025 and 2027 respectively.  It's better than picking another rookie- sucking again- losing the draft pick to OKC and making them even better. 

Personally, I would be trying to do everything I could to get Zion (#4, Green, Tate, Porter). That's a guy you could win a title with (or go down in absolute flames) but with the lotto balls not bouncing our way the last 3 years I don't see title upside in this core.   That would be Harden, _____________, Smith, Zion, Sengun.  You'd still have 20M to spend on a 2 guard and a role player on the bench.  That's a team that could do pretty well.  Maybe a Seth Curry in FA. Maybe Josh Richardson. It's not a great FA crop out there.  But a swing at a guy like Zion could end up winning a title so that would be my default, but I'd do the George deal for sure.  

On 6/21/2023 at 12:16 PM, BigOrange1 said:

if atlanta is looking to shave some salary, would you do tate and #20 for de'andre hunter?  next year will be the first year of his 4 year, $90 million extension so he'd be on the books for the next four seasons, but an average annual salary of 22.5 mil is only about 16-17% of the salary cap.  hunter is a little bit older than the core guy on the rockets, but not so much older that he couldn't grow along with them.  he's a career 35% 3 point shooter, which isn't great, but isn't awful either.

just a thought the day before the draft and this sort of hypothesizing becomes irrelevant. 

I would, yes

Some other interesting scenarios I saw.

#1 Clippers get Porter, Martin, #20, and 2 future 1's; Rockets get George, Morris Sr., and #30. 

#2 Kenyon Martin Jr. + Jae’Sean Tate + No. 20 to Dallas for Tim Hardaway Jr. + No. 10

#3 Kenyon Martin Jr. + No. 20 to Atlanta for Clint Capela

#4 No. 20 + two future second-rounders to Utah for No. 16

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Some other interesting scenarios I saw.

#1 Clippers get Porter, Martin, #20, and 2 future 1's; Rockets get George, Morris Sr., and #30. 

#2 Kenyon Martin Jr. + Jae’Sean Tate + No. 20 to Dallas for Tim Hardaway Jr. + No. 10

#3 Kenyon Martin Jr. + No. 20 to Atlanta for Clint Capela

#4 No. 20 + two future second-rounders to Utah for No. 16

i'd like to know about the two future 1sts in scenario #1 but i think i'm a yes to all of these.

• Hook 'Em 1

also there are rumors out there that if scoot goes #2, portland might take amen thompson #3 leaving houston to take brandon miller.  i'm not super excited about rooting for an accessory to murder for the next 10 years, but i do like the idea of having two big wings who can shoot and defend.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

also there are rumors out there that if scoot goes #2, portland might take amen thompson #3 leaving houston to take brandon miller.  i'm not super excited about rooting for an accessory to murder for the next 10 years, but i do like the idea of having two big wings who can shoot and defend.

I think this is more likely than people think. The Ja suspension hits close to home for a couple of GMs but we have to take that risk. He is basically Paul George but 20.

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

I am not sure the Rockets will take Miller; their backup plan appears to be Asur Thompson. The Rockets are run by unserious people.

4 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Simmons’ problem is that he is afraid to shoot now. It’s a mental issue 

Yes, because he can't shoot. Amen Thompson has to completely rework his shot, but I have questions about his desire to do so, since he hasn't done anything to fix it in 2 years. It was obvious it was broken. It would be something if he was a good FT shooter, but he fucking sucks there as well. If I was the Rockets's owner I would have asked why he hasn't taken the steps to fix it.

I also worry about his dad being a helicopter parent, considering how much he has been their primary coach but neither are good at the most fundamental skill in the game.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1