Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion thread — 2023 edition

C-Man

Florida face fucks Vegas in 5. The east was likely always going to win this year. I don't see that changing now.

They might. Panthers have run the gauntlet and have been able to sit back and relax for 10 days or so between games.

That defensive play by Stone on Tkachuk was amazing. Hill has been unbeliveable in these playoffs. 

They did as well as could be expected on McDavid and Draisatl in Round 2 too. I’ve said it before, maybe on the Stars thread, maybe here but Vegas is

giphy.gif

I haven't seen a single second of the last two games but it certainly appears that Vegas has this all but over. I doubt the Knights fiddle-fuck around in this Game 5 like they did in the WCF and they'll skate the Cup at home tomorrow night.

Who wins Conn Smythe? Marchesseault? Eichel? He hasn’t scored a goal since the second round but is a playmaker. Stone or Stephenson? Maybe Karlsson? Wasn’t he an OG Knight? Hill? I feel like their defense won the last round. Who would you single out there?

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Who wins Conn Smythe? Marchesseault? Eichel? He hasn’t scored a goal since the second round but is a playmaker. Stone or Stephenson? Maybe Karlsson? Wasn’t he an OG Knight? Hill? I feel like their defense won the last round. Who would you single out there?

Hill would get my vote. He's the most unexpected player in that lineup.

42 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Eichel. He’s made tons of plays tonight and throughout the playoffs in the defensive zone. He also has 23 points in 21 games. He’s played unbelievably. 

On 5/30/2023 at 1:04 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Florida face fucks Vegas in 5. The east was likely always going to win this year. I don't see that changing now.

this was spot on...if you reverse the teams.

Stars Vegas was the real cup final.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I guess last year was an exception, but it seems like lately the Stanley Cup just goes to the team that is least decimated by injuries and the Finals are really kind of anti-climactic.  

I don’t know about that necessarily. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are certainly a grind and key injuries can definitely doom a team’s chances but the last batch of champions includes Vegas, Colorado, Tampa X 2, St. Louis, Washington, Pittsburgh X 2, Chicago, the Kings, Chicago, Boston, etc. Now some of their opponents were not expected to get there — the Stars, for one — and I think the Kings won their first Cup coming from the #8 seed.

On 6/14/2023 at 4:59 PM, C-Man said:

I don’t know about that necessarily. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are certainly a grind and key injuries can definitely doom a team’s chances but the last batch of champions includes Vegas, Colorado, Tampa X 2, St. Louis, Washington, Pittsburgh X 2, Chicago, the Kings, Chicago, Boston, etc. Now some of their opponents were not expected to get there — the Stars, for one — and I think the Kings won their first Cup coming from the #8 seed.

Yeah, I think Vegas was very much a deserving Champion.   I saw them 3 times lives against Dallas (Game 2, 4 and 6) and even though I thought we outplayed them overall in games 2 and 4 I still felt they were the better team walking out of the arena both games.  Obviously game 6 they left no doubt.  And hard to say they weren't impacted with injuries considering they were playing a 3rd string goalie the entire playoff run.  That would destroy most teams but the Vegas defense was elite.  Hill played out of his mind at times and probably made himself some money but the Vegas D made it relatively easy on him.  If, for example, Hill would have been playing for the Stars, we probably don't make it out of the first round.

• Hook 'Em 1