2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

10 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Those numbers aren't too bad for Trump, and they'll be even better a year from now when, to appease the base/fringe, the Democratic candidates come out in support of child homicide if the mother's mental health would be negatively impacted by caring for her children, reparations, universal basic income of at least 6 figs for every man, woman, and child, and firing every customs agent at every airport and port of entry.

I'm kidding, obviously...maybe...I hope...

Eh, this is all about name recognition and the top two in that regard-- Biden and Warren-- are seriously flawed candidates and unlikely to be the nominee in my opinion. Hopefully the dems put forward a strong candidate without much baggage. I think it could be a historic landslide if Trump somehow makes it to 2020.

33 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Eh, this is all about name recognition and the top two in that regard-- Biden and Warren-- are seriously flawed candidates and unlikely to be the nominee in my opinion. Hopefully the dems put forward a strong candidate without much baggage. I think it could be a historic landslide if Trump somehow makes it to 2020.

It will be impossible for the Democrats to run a candidate without much baggage.  Even if the chosen candidate has never done anything wrong in their entire lifetime, the Republicans will just make up shit and repeat it enough times that their moronic base will fall for it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

It will be impossible for the Democrats to run a candidate without much baggage.  Even if the chosen candidate has never done anything wrong in their entire lifetime, the Republicans will just make up shit and repeat it enough times that their moronic base will fall for it.

Bernie Sanders wants to cede America to Venezuela.  Look it up, it was on Infowars.

Elizabeth Warren wants to tax rich people before feeding them to the poor people. FWD:FWD:FWD: Did you see Fox News tonight?

Kamala Harris used to prosecute white people in California just for being white.  She would throw all the white people in prisons if elected.  Facebook said so.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

While this is true, the base voters were never going to vote for the democrat. It’s the independents’ susceptibility to the republican false narratives that needs to be overcome.  

I think the midterms were a bittersweet indication the Republican bullshit is losing its influence.  Trump lying 24/7 doesn’t help the GOP’s credibility at all when it comes to persuading the middle or independents. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

While this is true, the base voters were never going to vote for the democrat. It’s the independents’ susceptibility to the republican false narratives that needs to be overcome.  

No independents or lean-dem types believe that a more moderate candidate can convince Republican base voters to vote democratic. This is a false narrative that you and the purity test crew love to throw out. I realize that your schtick is the contrived"I'm so open-minded" guy act which I typically ignore, but I can't let a post go by where you attack "false narratives" while throwing a false narrative out in the exact same sentence. 

What some of us believe is that the Obama->Trump voters are true swing voters (obviously a fact) and can be won back. Those couple hundred thousand voters in the rust belt that switched from Obama to Trump didn't suddenly turn into far-right Republicans (or the 35% of the country that Trump will never lose). They were just turned off by a god-awful Democratic candidate who (fair or not) came across as a coastal, snobby technocrat. The independents that you rail on and throw purity tests at are not susceptible to anything except knowing that the most direct path to victory is winning the Obama->Trump voters back. 

It's interesting that Beto and Biden, generally considered moderates, are both in the top three of that poll you posted despite neither having announced or gotten the initial boost from the announcement hype. It's almost as if normal people outside of message boards and reddit know the world won't end if the Democrats nominate a "moderate", take the easy W, and win the presidency.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

They were just turned off by a god-awful Democratic candidate who (fair or not) came across as a coastal, snobby technocrat. 

So in other words, those voters were swayed by the Republican narratives that were mostly full of shit. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

So in other words, those voters were swayed by the Republican narratives that were mostly full of shit. 

Possibly, but they did the same thing to Obama and most of the attacks didn't stick, at least with that subset of voters. Why?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Because they didn’t see Obama coming.  

They saw Hillary’s coming 30 years ago.  

That may have something to do with it, but I can't imagine that even you would deny that Hillary made several unforced errors that played horribly in the areas that lost her the election. Basket of deplorables, "we're going to put a lot of coal miners out of work", taking PA/WI/MI for granted and barely campaigning there (or not campaigning at all). And also that her general persona does not mesh with people in the midwest at all. She campaigned more in California than she did in Wisconsin. She created a vacuum in those states which Trump happily filled. Completely her own fault. Even Bill tried to tell her she was blowing it by ignoring those states

But I'm not here to re-parse the reasons Hillary lost. You keep fucking the "Hillary was a good candidate who was  mistreated" chicken if it makes you feel better.

Bottom line is that you're being disingenuous by trying to box moderates/independents into some corner where we think we're going to win over Trump's 35%. None of us are that stupid. What we do believe is that we can swing those Obama->Trump voters back to the good guys. And we believe that there are certain candidates that can do that better than others, whether it's because the candidate's demeanor and background would play extremely well there (Biden), because they have an inoffensive and positive aura and the charisma to play there (Beto), or because they're from the area and capable (Klobuchar). 

So I guess I'd ask you this - do you believe that the Obama->Trump voters are completely lost? And if not, then which candidate(s) do you believe have the best chance of winning them back, and why?

Edited by BradInATX

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Hillary is a coastal, snobby technocrat. Anyone who thinks otherwise is the one who was swayed by a false narrative.

I’m not disputing that.  It’s the pizzagate, Clinton Foundation, Benghazi, emails, she will start WW3 narratives that were built around her being a snobby technocrat. 

Boy this criticism of everything Harris does is getting old and tired already.

a few days ago people were saying she was pandering to blacks because she was putting hot sauce on some greens. 

Shes half black. BLACK PEOPLE PUT HOT SAUCE ON GREENS. This isn’t pandering it’s life. 

11 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Boy this criticism of everything Harris does is getting old and tired already.

a few days ago people were saying she was pandering to blacks because she was putting hot sauce on some greens. 

Shes half black. BLACK PEOPLE PUT HOT SAUCE ON GREENS. This isn’t pandering it’s life. 

there are people that don't put hot sauce on greens?  i don't think i want to meet those people.

lol that Harris clip is literally cut off as she's answering the question

Imagine someone walking up to you and asking you about a post you made here a month or more ago. Do y'all seriously have it all cataloged in your brain enough to where you would make an immediate, seamless response?

I'm not exactly Team Harris, but good lord.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

She shouldn't apologize. She should tell us how she would reform the system.

She'd probably get a lot more people in her camp if she would acknowledge it or at the absolute very least acknowledge how prosecutorial discretion is extremely important in combating all the damage done by the war on drugs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It'd be nice if Democrats could stay focused on substance and shit that matters rather than trying to score social justice brownie points on something that'll affect nothing and just piss old people off.

That's probably asking a lot.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

It'd be nice if Democrats could stay focused on substance and shit that matters rather than trying to score social justice brownie points on something that'll affect nothing and just piss old people off.

That's probably asking a lot.

Seriously can this group of clowns stay focused for one day? Nobody in MI, WI, or PA gives two shits about Columbus Day. They are worried about things like factory closures and clean drinking water. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Seriously can this group of clowns stay focused for one day? Nobody in MI, WI, or PA gives two shits about Columbus Day. They are worried about things like factory closures and clean drinking water. 

It was a question asked of her and not some platform piece she is running on. The article's title makes it out to be bigger than the answer she gave.

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

It was a question asked of her and not some platform piece she is running on. The article's title makes it out to be bigger than the answer she gave.

Seriously. She’d be killed if she sidestepped it. “Oh bless your heart, what a stupid regarded question. No thanks not answering it” 

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Seriously. She’d be killed if she sidestepped it. “Oh bless your heart, what a stupid regarded question. No thanks not answering it” 

The only people who care about this issue is old white people who she is likely to piss off with such a comment. 

6 hours ago, Pancho Negro said:

Poor journalism from NYT.  

“Hey look, these voter realize the story is overblown and DGAF so we’re going to bring it up again in the NYT!”

How about do a story on her policy ideas instead since that’s what the voters are telling you they’re interested in?

Sad!

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

I did not see the town hall with Klobuchar last night, but read some of things she said. She sounds like she can find a middle ground for all dems with goals and ideals for the left but honest reality for the more centrist part of the party. Any feedback from those who saw it? 

17 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

I did not see the town hall with Klobuchar last night, but read some of things she said. She sounds like she can find a middle ground for all dems with goals and ideals for the left but honest reality for the more centrist part of the party. Any feedback from those who saw it? 

She didn’t throw anything at any of the audience members, so it was a win for her (or loss, depending how you look at it).

• Like 2