2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

For the sake of the country if Biden is the nominee - he must do well in the debate. 

I'm a debates-don't-really-matter guy but this first 1-on-1 feels kind of momentous because we rapidly contracted from a traveling circus to two guys. And the last two debates were disorganized and came across like chaotic piles of squawking chickens. It will be clarifying and even though we're spiking the football constantly for Biden, this will probably be the biggest audience yet.

Neither Joe nor Bernie are big interrupters and talk-overs. They'll be pretty respectful and neither is going to yell and scream at the other. (Bernie is loud, but he doesn't actually yell in anger.)

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Inspiring words from the frontrunner. 

“And so I was saying that, and what they turned around and said, Joe Biden said, in effect, they said, that Joe Biden said that what he was told, that what, that what the white supremacists argue, that we have no problem, that our, our, our basic English jurisprudential system is not the problem.

The problem is those countries like Africa and Asia and those places, they’re the reason why we have all these problems.

So they turn it around to make it sound like that, and by the way, the title of the article is, was, is the Washington Post ‘The Deceptively (indecipherable) of Joe Biden Singles, Signals What Is Coming’ and that is that’s a whole bunch of lies.

The generic point I’m making here is that, what has happened is that, I know we’re going to get in to, whomever the nominee is of the Democratic Party, is going to have a plethora of lies told about him or her, and misrepresentations and this went on the internet, this edited article, it got retweeted by some press people and then they realized it was edited to make it look like something not… white supremacists, see, Biden’s acknowledging that the problem here is that that all those folks, all those minority folks are the problem.

And so, in essence. And so they corrected, they corrected. You’re going to see a lot more of it. You’re going to see a lot more of not only my statements being taken out of context, and lied about, or altered, you’re going to see whomever the Democratic nominee is because that’s how this guy operates.

Now. Whether or not I can win?”

Thanks neverbernie bros!

I think it’s pretty fucking awesome that he mentions ‘basic English’ in the first paragraph.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I'm a debates-don't-really-matter guy but this first 1-on-1 feels kind of momentous because we rapidly contracted from a traveling circus to two guys. And the last two debates were disorganized and came across like chaotic piles of squawking chickens. It will be clarifying and even though we're spiking the football constantly for Biden, this will probably be the biggest audience yet.

Neither Joe nor Bernie are big interrupters and talk-overs. They'll be pretty respectful and neither is going to yell and scream at the other. (Bernie is loud, but he doesn't actually yell in anger.)

i heard some interesting commentary from the speeches tues night.  basically the thought was that bernie spent time attacking joe, but joe spent his time attacking trump (acting like he was already running in the general).  that's something that biden has done fairly consistently since he announced, and i think it's one of the smarter moves of his campaign (there haven't been that many).

bernie is definitely going to attack joe in the debate.  it's obvious and it's easy.  if they attack each other, it won't be a great situation for joe.  i wonder if joe will do more talking to america about big picture stuff (read - trump) instead of fighting back.  that's what my advice to him would be.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I think debates definitely matter with newcomers or people not known by most people. Everything with Joe and Bernie - all the good, bad, and ugly - is baked in. I'd be shocked if it moves the needle at all. 

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I think debates definitely matter with newcomers or people not known by most people. Everything with Joe and Bernie - all the good, bad, and ugly - is baked in. I'd be shocked if it moves the needle at all. 

No Democrat wants to see Trump humiliate the Democratic Nominee again. It may be a low bar, but Biden has to meet it. I am not sure we are seeing cognitive decline. He may just be exhausted, not eating well, not getting sleep or something else that is fixable. A two hour one-on-one debate is mentally and physically grueling. I don't agree with his policies and his friends, but I do not want to see him humiliated by Trump. 

Nothing is "baked in" this year or at this time. The coronavirus and the pressure on the stock market reveal large risks that threaten to pull down everyone even lower. The top 01% will do fine - whatever may happen, but Main Street is ragged. And with Trump, the swings are non-stop. 

Keep an open mind as matters progress. 

2 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

No Democrat wants to see Trump humiliate the Democratic Nominee again. It may be a low bar, but Biden has to meet it. I am not sure we are seeing cognitive decline. He may just be exhausted, not eating well, not getting sleep or something else that is fixable. A two hour one-on-one debate is mentally and physically grueling. I don't agree with his policies and his friends, but I do not want to see him humiliated by Trump. 

Nothing is "baked in" this year or at this time. The coronavirus and the pressure on the stock market reveal large risks that threaten to pull down everyone even lower. The top 01% will do fine - whatever may happen, but Main Street is ragged. And with Trump, the swings are non-stop. 

Keep an open mind as matters progress. 

yeah, because being prez is a fucking cake walk. the hard part is getting there, amirite?

They're all just so fucking old.

Why couldn't Beto or Pete or Kamala have stormed in, copy/pasted Bernie's entire platform, and skateboarded across the damned stage throwing out "Medicare 4 All" slap bracelets? Why did all these god damned people have to chase the same basic platform like a bunch of sexy nurses chasing Benny Hill?

I love Bernie, I do, but god damnit I want universal healthcare for 100% of Americans. This sucks ass.

• Like 1

I've never understood how so many posters on here can keep a running list, dozens of posters of long, of people they agree/disagree/hate/block/etc.  Then again, I can barely keep of track of people in real life...but I have to ask...where is the HugoStiglitz guy?  Democratic race truly narrowing and heating up and I can't remember the last time I saw a post from him/her?  Are they still alive I hope?  

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Why couldn't Beto or Pete or Kamala have stormed in, copy/pasted Bernie's entire platform, and skateboarded across the damned stage throwing out "Medicare 4 All" slap bracelets? Why did all these god damned people have to chase the same basic platform like a bunch of sexy nurses chasing Benny Hill?

I love Bernie, I do, but god damnit I want universal healthcare for 100% of Americans. This sucks ass.

Kamala was my number 1

45 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Money is on the other side of the Medicare for All equation. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I've never understood how so many posters on here can keep a running list, dozens of posters of long, of people they agree/disagree/hate/block/etc.  Then again, I can barely keep of track of people in real life...but I have to ask...where is the HugoStiglitz guy?  Democratic race truly narrowing and heating up and I can't remember the last time I saw a post from him/her?  Are they still alive I hope?  

He’s posting much, much less since it’s become clear Liz ain’t gonna win. Conclude from that what you will. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Bargaining.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yeah, I don't want tens of thousands of people to die every year because they are uninsured or underinsured. I would be very happy to bargain for those people's lives.

I’m on the frontlines, boss.  I’m 100% sure I help way more people than you.  But keep posting internet champ.  

11 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

OK, just seems like you took something as a personal attack against your work and I don't know what it is.

If you really didn’t catch it... it was your holier than thou attitude in that post.  As if you care but nobody else does.  I was pointing out I notice, care, and make a difference.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

12 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

When you give me shit I give you shit back, come on that's how this works bud.

For sure.  You can take it and give it.  And even if I disagree, I’ll never think your heart’s in the wrong place.  Just like Bern.  I genuinely like him and he’s the only ethical politician I’ve seen on the big stage.  I just disagree with a lot of his views.  He’s probably still a much better person than whoever I have ever voted for.  

• Like 1

The Nazi flag guy was in fact - a Nazi. Bernie and Joe need Secret Service protection - now. 

This is the account of the teenager who ripped the flag away from the Nazi along with a friend. The kid writing is Jewish and his friend is Persian.

https://forward.com/fast-forward/441082/bernie-sanders-jewish-dad-nazi-flag-swastika-phoenix/

Spoiler

Editor’s note: A teenaged boy and a friend tore down the Nazi flag a protestor unfurled at Thursday’s Bernie Sanders rally in Phoenix. This is the teenager’s account of the event, lightly edited for clarity. He spoke on the condition of anonymity out of concerns for his personal safety.

I decided to go to the rally because Bernie is a politician who interests me. His family’s background is similar to my family’s background. My dad’s side of the family, they moved to America because of anti-Semitism in Europe. They came here from Romania and moved here just like Bernie’s dad. They didn’t have much English, and they worked hard. I wouldn’t say I’m Jewish, but a large part of my identity is Jewish.

Bernie came on, and we’re all cheering, and then two or three minutes after he started speaking, we heard shouting. I heard someone yell “Fuck you, Bernie!” I turned around, and I saw him trying to unravel this flag, and even though I’m not very religious, it kind of hurt, seeing that. And the moment I saw it I just felt sick to my stomach. He said, “Fuck you Bernie, you stupid Jew,” and then he kept yelling.

I turn and look at my friend. He’s in college and he looks mad. He’s from a Persian background. He sympathizes. He cares about this stuff. He thinks it’s just as wrong as I do. He turns and looks at me, and he climbs up on a chair and grabs the flag from the dude and starts pulling. So I turn, and I’m like, “Yeah.” I walk over and grab the other corner of the flag and we pull it down. And I have to step on it. The Nazi protestor gets taken away by security and then 30 seconds later the sheriff’s department comes by and takes the flag.

After, I got a little shaky, but when it happened I was just angry; I was just disgusted; I felt sick. My dad told me, “Your great-grandparents would be so proud. Your grandmother would be so proud.”

My dad’s side of the family is Jewish, but my family isn’t too religious. We had a lot of family friends who were Jewish, though, so we celebrated Passover and Hanukkah with them. We’ve gone to many Bat and Bar Mitzvahs. It’s a community that’s always made me feel welcome.

I like Bernie because he’s consistent. I do like his policies, but one of the things in terms of his character that stood out is his consistency, and how much he’s fought for what he’s believed in, and fought for the values he grew up with. And that means a lot to me in terms of looking at a candidate. I’ve worked with politicians [as a volunteer.] I’ve worked with them and understood them. But Bernie seems like a genuine person.

It opens my eyes. I knew people like this existed. But seeing it firsthand with my own eyes in my own city, it makes me mad. It makes me want to work harder for change.

Edited by washparkhorn

When I sit back and marinate on what's about to happen -- that the Democratic party's grand champion is an obviously senile gaffe machine with a shitty voting record and a platform of "I'm not him" -- it is almost as surreal to me as the fact that Donald Trump is president.

But then I remember this is the Democratic Party we are talking about and it all makes sense.

This will be my twelfth presidential election. Despite ostensibly representing the views of the majority of Americans, the party's establishment is 2-10 in those elections, and one of those wins came shortly after the GOP had historically covered itself in shit on a truly historic scale.

1972: GOP Stoopsian no lube beatdown.

1976: Carter wins in aftermath of Watergate

1980: GOP dirty tricks usher in Reagan

1984: DNC gives us Mondale, Hubert Humphrey reborn. He's crushed.

1988: They go with an ethnic technocrat. He's crushed.

1992 and 1996: Clinton wins thanks to Perot. He enacts more GOP policies than they could have gotten done without him.

2000: Dirty tricks eke win out for GOP but the score shouldn't have been close.

2004: Unpopular president, this one was there for the taking, but they nip the exciting candidate's campaign in the bud and give us the Webster's definition of a Masshole. More Dirty Tricks and chalk up another one for the GOP.

2008: DNC wants Hillary, Obama muscles her aside. I kinda think the GOP wasn't too sad to lose this one as they believed that the Depression they thought they'd caused would fall on Obama's watch. Hence Palin on the ticket. 

2012: Honest win for an incumbent without a third party thumb on the scale. Glory be.

2016: Perot giveth, Perot taketh away: Clinton, who should have been wherever forgotten Arkansas governors' wives go when they are out of power, loses even though "everyone" knew it was "her turn."

2020: He's kind of a mash-up Kerry and Mondale, but senile and with a son who combines Roger Clinton's partying with the Trump kids' foreign entanglements.

Rock on DNC.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

When I sit back and marinate on what's about to happen -- that the Democratic party's grand champion is an obviously senile gaffe machine with a shitty voting record and a platform of "I'm not him" -- it is almost as surreal to me as the fact that Donald Trump is president.

But then I remember this is the Democratic Party we are talking about and it all makes sense.

This will be my twelfth presidential election. Despite ostensibly representing the views of the majority of Americans, the party's establishment is 2-10 in those elections, and one of those wins came shortly after the GOP had historically covered itself in shit on a truly historic scale.

1972: GOP Stoopsian no lube beatdown.

1976: Carter wins in aftermath of Watergate

1980: GOP dirty tricks usher in Reagan

1984: DNC gives us Mondale, Hubert Humphrey reborn. He's crushed.

1988: They go with an ethnic technocrat. He's crushed.

1992 and 1996: Clinton wins thanks to Perot. He enacts more GOP policies than they could have gotten done without him.

2000: Dirty tricks eke win out for GOP but the score shouldn't have been close.

2004: Unpopular president, this one was there for the taking, but they nip the exciting candidate's campaign in the bud and give us the Webster's definition of a Masshole. More Dirty Tricks and chalk up another one for the GOP.

2008: DNC wants Hillary, Obama muscles her aside. I kinda think the GOP wasn't too sad to lose this one as they believed that the Depression they thought they'd caused would fall on Obama's watch. Hence Palin on the ticket. 

2012: Honest win for an incumbent without a third party thumb on the scale. Glory be.

2016: Perot giveth, Perot taketh away: Clinton, who should have been wherever forgotten Arkansas governors' wives go when they are out of power, loses even though "everyone" knew it was "her turn."

2020: He's kind of a mash-up Kerry and Mondale, but senile and with a son who combines Roger Clinton's partying with the Trump kids' foreign entanglements.

Rock on DNC.  

the flipside to this coin is that the republicans have won the popular vote once in the past 28 years.  maybe some tweaks need to be made to how that part happened.

also didn't obama get chosen in the cigar-smoke filled backroom by the same establishment you're railing against now?

30 minutes ago, F250 said:

I find this tweet along with the infighting in the Democratic Party pretty amusing.

This is literally the best that the two part system will produce. Trump 2016 and Biden 2020. It is fundamentally broke. But maybe 2024 and 2028 will take another course. Hold your breath. 

• Like 1

At least Brazille has the balls to admit her allegiance:

Donna Brazille has definite issues but it’s pretty shitty to boil her down to a Wall Street shill with her history as a groundbreaking black woman who worked her way up into the Democratic Party power structure.

Questioning her allegiance to the Democratic Party? In defense of a candidate who only identifies as a Democrat every four years for the sole purpose of running for President?

Let’s review her history of work for the Democratic Party -

Political strategist Donna Brazile was born on December 15, 1959 in New Orleans, Louisiana to Jean Marie Brown and Lionel Joseph Brazile Sr. Brazile attended Grace King High School, and participated in the TRIO Upward Bound Program. She received her B.S. degree in industrial psychology from Louisiana State University in 1981.

Brazile became interested in politics as a volunteer for the 1976 and 1980 presidential campaigns of Jimmy Carter-Walter Mondale. After graduating from Louisiana State University, Brazile worked as a lobbyist for the National Student Education Fund in Washington, D.C. Coretta Scott King hired Brazile to help with designating Martin Luther King Jr. Day as a federal holiday. In 1984, Brazile served as the mobilization director for Reverend Jesse Jackson’s Democratic presidential campaign. In 1987, Brazile was hired as Dick Gephardt’s national field director, and then as the deputy field director for Michael Dukakis. Brazile then accepted a position with the Community for Creative Non-Violence organization, where she served as chief of staff and press secretary to congressional delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton in 1990. In 1992 and 1996, Brazile served as an advisor for Bill Clinton’s presidential campaigns. In 1998, she ran the Voter/Campaign Assessment Program for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. In 1999, Brazile was hired as the campaign manager for Democratic presidential candidate, Al Gore. Brazile was appointed chair of the Democratic National Committee’s Voting Rights Institute in 2000.

She worked her ass off for decades and now she’s reaping some rewards. I have no issue with her getting that cash. I have issues with her affiliation with Fox News but that’s another discussion.

4 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Donna Brazille has definite issues but it’s pretty shitty to boil her down to a Wall Street shill with her history as a groundbreaking black woman who worked her way up into the Democratic Party power structure.

I praised her for her honesty and her courage  - like when she admitted the DNC rigged the 2016 Democratic Nomination.

It is no secret the Democratic Party split between the those who want it be the party of corporations and the wealthy - or the party of the working America. We know who has run it since the late 70's. That was a mistake, in my opinion. Your opinion may vary and that is your right. We need to heal that rift. 

Edited by washparkhorn

Well, Beto and Kamala were absolute savaged by bad faith bullshittery from the left wing from the moment they announced and unfortunately those narratives stuck.

Pete eventually got the same treatment but the attacks came much later once he became a threat. (And, yeah, I’m a hypocrite because I’m okay with his downfall because at least he got a chance to show himself before the Twitterati ate him alive.)

And running a campaign based on copying another candidate’s platform is dumb and doomed to fail if those beliefs aren’t sincerely held. Look at Warren.

Beto and Kamala basically shared 85-90% of the same goals but maybe had different plans to achieve them so they were thrown in the bin as “centrist neoliberal shitlibs”.

Too bad. I bet the Bernie camp and every other Democrat would prefer one of them to have been the “compromise candidate” over Biden. Because not only are they much closer to what Bernie stands for than Biden, they’re also smarter, better speakers and debaters, and not 107 years old.

Hindsight’s a bitch.
  • Like 6