New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

This game brings out the depravity. That said - I did not know you get to the wanted dead or alive level.

You must have done some fucked up shit because I only got a $15 bounty for throwing a hogtied lady on the train tracks in the middle of Saint Denis (thanks for whomever posted that above)

You get it by just doing normal missions.

The hillbillies our past annesbrooke or whatever it’s called north east are a trip. The fucked with the bull by threatening me while I setup camp.

Went on a ride just looking for as many of them as I could; camping-dead, narrow pass horsejacking- dead, riding along-dead, trying the old help me please-dead!

And separately had a funny moment where a guy wanted a target shooting competition, sure, I won the first round and when he asked for a rematch I accidentally shot him point blank... so I robbed his dead body for my $5 plus his $15 in his pockets...
Did you find their hideout? It's a cave nearby Annesberg.

Haven't started the online yet but looking forward to it.

The depth of this game is amazing.  After finishing a mission in Chapter 4 when a certain member of camp returns, the whole crew has a party.  Starts out they're all gathered singing/playing guitar around the fire, so I joined and sat down.  Hung around for the next 15-20 minutes (IRL) it seemed like, and various characters come and go and have engaging conversations with Arthur and others, sing other songs , some characters get drunk and pass out, go vomit, leave and come back, etc.  I just stuck it out until basically everyone went to sleep and a storm rolls in (game clock locked at 3AM).

Of course I could have just left camp and never seen any of that but they created all that interstitial dialogue and story, and it really felt like an organic time and place that I was participating in.  So cool.

• Like 1

So i'm not too far into this, but I don't understand the bounty system at all.  Last night, I was out hunting, and I shot a wolf near the road. I didn't see some guy nearby, but I guess he was upset by my shots, and started shooting at me. So I shoot back and dome him by accident, he dies, some guy runs off as a witness while I'm skinning my wolf. So he tells the cops I murdered a guy and I get a big bounty on me. I ride off with my wolf pelt, but the cops spot me, and I get into a shootout. Those losers are easy to kill, and wipe out 6 of them. Being a GTA veteran, I figure that's it, I drop my wanted label and I'm good. 

Buuuuuuuuuuuut NOOOOOOOOO. I now have a $300+ bounty on me now! There were NO witnesses alive when I was done with those assholes, how does my bounty go up to a higher amount of money than I have had the entire game?  Now this dumb bounty follows me everywhere and I can't pay it off. Is there a way to get rid of it? Can I kill all the policeman in the city? Can I use a cheat to get rid of this dumb system? It's really ruining the fun of the game and taking away from the "Wild West" feeling.

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

So i'm not too far into this, but I don't understand the bounty system at all.  Last night, I was out hunting, and I shot a wolf near the road. I didn't see some guy nearby, but I guess he was upset by my shots, and started shooting at me. So I shoot back and dome him by accident, he dies, some guy runs off as a witness while I'm skinning my wolf. So he tells the cops I murdered a guy and I get a big bounty on me. I ride off with my wolf pelt, but the cops spot me, and I get into a shootout. Those losers are easy to kill, and wipe out 6 of them. Being a GTA veteran, I figure that's it, I drop my wanted label and I'm good. 

Buuuuuuuuuuuut NOOOOOOOOO. I now have a $300+ bounty on me now! There were NO witnesses alive when I was done with those assholes, how does my bounty go up to a higher amount of money than I have had the entire game?  Now this dumb bounty follows me everywhere and I can't pay it off. Is there a way to get rid of it? Can I kill all the policeman in the city? Can I use a cheat to get rid of this dumb system? It's really ruining the fun of the game and taking away from the "Wild West" feeling.

Spend you cash down to nothing. Then surrender to the local law and you will spend a night in jail and your bounty is gone. If you do it whave th a full wallet they will take the cash to cover the bounty so spend first. 

• Like 1

Tip from me: IF you're planning on getting all the cigarette cards...

1. Pick up all the Premium Cigarette packs you find, discard the packs when you hit 99
  2. Pick up all the cards you normally find on your journey
  3. When you finish the story, or if you did any money tricks and have a bunch laying around, just buy the packs from the General Store. This will save you a butt load of time.

My game actually got bugged somehow on my last (12th) set. It said I got them all, but I only had 4 of them in my inventory. I hadn't sold any cards or anything up to this point, they just disappeared. I had to buy packs to get them back because the cards weren't at the original location (meaning I did pick them up).

Playing a bit of RDO now. Apparently, no one wants to be lawful. Every mission I have done has resulted in a 4/4 vote for whatever the unlawful choice is. Here's my LaFawnduh.

47270668_10218653163549042_5848733910749

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

Kicking myself this isn't on PC. Rockstar gonna Rockstar. 

I am surprised they never ported the first one to PC, it would have done well IMO.  I think this one is being ported for sure.

Unrelated, but there was a spot a little bit north of the main St Denis downtown area where 1-2 horses would spawn behind 3 houses.  The horses could be any horse in the game, the 3 Arabians, all the rare horses, etc.  You could ride through the area and if there was not a horse you wanted there, just quit and reload or ride far enough away and come back and the horses would respawn differently.  See something you want?  Slap your saddle on it and done.  Sometimes you get charged with horse theft, sometime you don't.  I got the gray arabian this way.  The update Tuesday patched this out and now it only spawns common horses like Morgans.  There is still a way to get great horses cheap though, and that is get a $3-400 bounty and kill the bounty hunters and take their horses.  Bounty hunters ride good horses.

I appreciate the depth of hunting/crafting and the scope of how many animals there are but man, its really kind of a pain in the ass to get perfect whatevers when you are looking for something specific.  Ironically the Legendary animals are way easier than getting a perfect skin/pelt because you don't have to worry about shooting them in the wrong place with a sub-optimal weapon.  Most of them I can find and kill within 5 minutes of entering their territory.  The only trouble I have had was the fox.  I somehow just wounded him with my shot and he ran off.  Lost sight of him and had to track him again, all the old tracks were still around and it was a huge mess.  Took me like 20-30 mins to find him again.

I am only in Chapter 3 and am finding the meta elements more fun than actual missions.  I ran into those Murfree Brood dudes...lol.  Super fun to kill them.  

So online mode has a ton more animal attacks than the story mode...

I’m a big fan of setting a waypoint and going into cinematic mode while I snack or read something... in online I got mauled like 6-7 times in the couple of hours I played.

Also broke up a mission someone was doing near armadillo and that turned into a giant shitshow. There were like 5-7 guys all fighting respawning and fighting some more... took forever to make it far enough away.

Also make sure you keep making money in online until you are rich. Your camp and horse stable costs upkeep money. Not a lot but it did hurt after I spent a bunch of money and my last $2.50 turned into 1.50 real quick

I upgraded to the one X on RDR2 launch and then a new 4K tv this past weekend and I hadn’t seen a purple sunset in the game.

Lots of longhorn sunsets but this one made me stop mid-online and take a pic because it was really impressive...

Dumb but this game impresses the shit out of me. I love the slow pace of the game because I end up taking in the scenery and environment way too much

888c4ed332b711c1bc03011858645f31.jpg

I upgraded to the one X on RDR2 launch and then a new 4K tv this past weekend and I hadn’t seen a purple sunset in the game.  

Lots of longhorn sunsets but this one made me stop mid-online and take a pic because it was really impressive...

Dumb but this game impresses the shit out of me. I love the slow pace of the game because I end up taking in the scenery and environment way too much

Seriously. All depravity jokes aside, it’s absurdly immersive and the attention to detail is incredible. I’m also playing on 4K and it is very much worth it.

Me too man. Some stuff I noticed:

This reminds me of Yosemite or the High Sierra in general:

60f092144f85d826521b4b5d25b00240.jpg

55435c81418a824aac5e2f6886bdcbe0.jpg

Yellowstone:

7e318e9b7d7aaad269049c88c10a380c.jpg

Oak Alley Plantation as previously discussed:

6f300a5e4f8b8cf143afbfdc2883f857.jpg
  • Like 1

I'm impressed by how alive the world feels.  More than ever, It really feels like you aren't the center of the universe, and life is going on without you, which is incredibly immersive.

I like that small choices you make can pay off later.  Like, you help someone, run into him later, and get rewarded for it. I'm about 25% into the game, and hope to see more of that.

Rockstar really upped their game with random encounters, sights,  discoveries, etc.  There are interesting characters you can meet at those random campsites you come across. While I was staking out a homestead I was about to rob,  I overheard a father and son arguing, learned about their problems, and then found a letter inside the house that made me feel kinda bad for robbing them. Even this random homestead robbery felt like a mini story mission with unique characters. 

One question: is there no option for non-lethal stealth takedowns? I've tried sneaking up on guards, etc and there doesn't seem to be a way to knock them out without killing them.

Also, does beating someone unconscious kill them?  I noticed they turn into "X's" on the minimap like a corpse would. Anyone waited around long enough to see if someone wakes up from a beating?

On 11/28/2018 at 12:13 PM, LonghornSean said:

Haven't started the online yet but looking forward to it.

The depth of this game is amazing.  After finishing a mission in Chapter 4 when a certain member of camp returns, the whole crew has a party.  Starts out they're all gathered singing/playing guitar around the fire, so I joined and sat down.  Hung around for the next 15-20 minutes (IRL) it seemed like, and various characters come and go and have engaging conversations with Arthur and others, sing other songs , some characters get drunk and pass out, go vomit, leave and come back, etc.  I just stuck it out until basically everyone went to sleep and a storm rolls in (game clock locked at 3AM).

Of course I could have just left camp and never seen any of that but they created all that interstitial dialogue and story, and it really felt like an organic time and place that I was participating in.  So cool.

There is a party in chapter 2 as well. I enjoyed both of them. 

I got an x last week and I was actually surprised how much of an upgrade it is. Yesterday the whole world had that tornado warning type feel with high wind and looming clouds. It was absolutely beautiful. 

Also, cig card guy, you must have the all-satchel satchel cause cigs cap out at 20 (5 per pack I think), very annoying to repeatedly have to discard them. 

15 minutes ago, seven said:

Also, cig card guy, you must have the all-satchel satchel cause cigs cap out at 20 (5 per pack I think), very annoying to repeatedly have to discard them. 

Yeah, I took a few hours off from the story to complete all of the satchels. A very helpful upgrade.

Spoiler

However, once you complete the main story, you can just buy them all from the Fence.

I just don't understand the legendary animal hunts. I've googled, but most of them are just showing you the locations which duh, are on my map already. I've gotten the bear obviously and was in a situation where I was tracking one of the others and had some ?s on the map and investigated clues....but then there would be other ?s and I would go to those and there would be nothing there at all, no matter how hard or long I looked. 

Also, when you enter the legendary animal territory, do you need to have the white circle in order to actually have the animal there? I have entered a few of them multiple times and I get the message that I'm in their territory but no white circle. (PS4) I hold down on left and right and look for clues or tracks and nothing other than rando animals. Sometimes I get the message that the animal has left and won't be back for some time (wtf is that BS). Other times, I enter the territory and stake it out for 2-3 days looking for clues in L3 + R3 mode and can't find shit and get frustrated and give up. 

I just don't understand the legendary animal hunts. I've googled, but most of them are just showing you the locations which duh, are on my map already. I've gotten the bear obviously and was in a situation where I was tracking one of the others and had some ?s on the map and investigated clues....but then there would be other ?s and I would go to those and there would be nothing there at all, no matter how hard or long I looked. 
Also, when you enter the legendary animal territory, do you need to have the white circle in order to actually have the animal there? I have entered a few of them multiple times and I get the message that I'm in their territory but no white circle. (PS4) I hold down on left and right and look for clues or tracks and nothing other than rando animals. Sometimes I get the message that the animal has left and won't be back for some time (wtf is that BS). Other times, I enter the territory and stake it out for 2-3 days looking for clues in L3 + R3 mode and can't find shit and get frustrated and give up. 

The message has to show for it to spawn. Then you basically track it with dead eye (the track will look good/yellow instead of blue), then find the three clues and it will be shorty after the third clue.
  • Like 1

The online mode is definitely slow on the cash (microtransactions obviously in mind) but so far it's pretty fun but there is no passive mode (except your camp) so you can get serious grief out there.  Wife tried for literally two hours to make a decent looking female character instead of playing.  She then spent about 30 minutes on my guy at the barber shop getting him a look she liked, lol.

11 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Thanks. So how do you know when you need to go there or when the white bubble is there?

Sometimes the animal won't spawn and you'll receive the "area too busy" message. This basically means that some dumbass was riding by on their horse when you entered the area. Just go a little bit away and set up a camp, sleep for a day or two and then go back to the legendary animal territory. 

If you inspect the three clues and then don't kill the animal or it escapes you, then you have to wait 72ish ingame hours for it to spawn again, that's when you get the animal away message. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, seven said:

Sometimes the animal won't spawn and you'll receive the "area too busy" message. This basically means that some dumbass was riding by on their horse when you entered the area. Just go a little bit away and set up a camp, sleep for a day or two and then go back to the legendary animal territory. 

If you inspect the three clues and then don't kill the animal or it escapes you, then you have to wait 72ish ingame hours for it to spawn again, that's when you get the animal away message. 

Thanks. It's odd. I don't get the animal away message every time. But I definitely don't get the white bubble and the 3 clues every time, either. Yesterday I entered the territory for the Fox, the wolf and the moose on horseback, got the message that I was in the territory, but no white bubble or clues and no message that there was too much activity. Puttered around using my Steven Seagal night vision mode in all 3 areas and couldn't find shit. 

The clues look kinda like a shower of sparks.

Hard to see in this photo but easier when playing.

59ff882d1130855e0bb79c22616c34da.jpg

The bear is some scary revenant shit.

https://www.xboxclips.com/Both%20Tacos/5c4258b8-6b3d-4fdf-8352-8525f80663b3/embed

Also, there isn’t a white bubble for the animal. Sometimes a small question mark on the map, but not always. Not sure why.

When you get the text alert that you have entered the territory for a Legendary animal.  Hop off your horse or hitch him up somewhere nearby and then hop off.  If you are lucky you will see a white question mark on your mini map. Go to it and there will be an option to inspect it.  Doing that should give you a tracking pop up to follow whatever Legendary animal it is.  You will be lead to another question mark on your mini map and need to inspect it as well.  Doing that gets the tracking again, leading to a third question mark.  At this question mark, the animal you are hunting should be in visual range.  Usually within your current field of vision even if it is a ways off.  If you have issues during any of this, go into the eagle eye mode and look for gold sparkly stuff, those are the question marks, or red/blue tracking lines, those are what you are following in normal view.

I did not kill the Legendary Bear during the story mission.  Went back after him and blasted him with a dynamite arrow.  This was not a good choice as the corpse appeared fine but I did not get a skin option.  Reloaded a save and the bear killed the shit out of me.  Now I can't find him.

I also spent a ton of time in the bayou near St Denis looking for the gator.  I shot many, many gators and never found him.  Apparently you have to encounter him in a story mission before you can hunt him.  I am early in Chapter three.

Had a hell of a time finding the legendary buck, had to keep camping and walking around slowly in red dead mode. That was a frustrating one but the others weren't bad at all. Has anyone gotten all the legendary fish? I've gotten 10 out of 13 but it looks like the rest are down below blackwater

Thanks all. I'll give it another run.

Re: legendary fish - is there any kind of a secret there? Or just use the standard lake/river lure in the right spots? Any special action that cues you that you're hooking a legendary fish vs. an ordinary one? My biggest issue is that reeling in the regular fish can be so tedious I get sick of trying 3-4x and only getting a regular fish. 

You need the special lures. There's a lady that lives in a shack in the swamps north of St Denis that sells them. I don't remember if I just stumbled across her or if it was part of a mission. You'll know when you hook one though, they fight harder and some of them take fucking forever to land. They say some of them need special conditions like rain or overcast skies but I haven't found that to be the case. I've caught legendary lake fish with the special river lure and vice versa. What I usually do is start at sunrise and fish the spot and if I'm not catching it I'll rest until sunset and try again but most of the time you get them the first time.

Fucking fascist cops in st.denis!

I ride in for my first time, bump/knock over one guy, get a $15 assault and so I walk over to the cop to surrender. Fuckit I’ll pay that.

Nope 20 cops bear down and Start shooting. Except they kill my horse and I try to revive him, I can’t and I die and now he’s gone from my nap and everything. So my last save point was basically 2 hours ago...

Fucking pigs

Yeah, I have those, I believe. It's just the medium/large size fish lake and river lures. She doesn't have anything else on her menu that is locked so I assume that's what they are. 
You have to do a stranger mission for this guy on a dock that requests legendary fish before you can buy the special lures at that swamp place.

25 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:
4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:
Yeah, I have those, I believe. It's just the medium/large size fish lake and river lures. She doesn't have anything else on her menu that is locked so I assume that's what they are. 

You have to do a stranger mission for this guy on a dock that requests legendary fish before you can buy the special lures at that swamp place.

Oooh. Yes. Good info. Where is this, anyone know?